well, my 'goodies' arrived today:
everything looks good, got the router out and it's not as ginormous as i thought actually. fits just fine on my shelf where my old router was/is.
but after connecting it, and running the set up wizard, would not connect to the internet
i tried several times. i tried changing cat cables, i tried different SSID's, different passwords, as those are really the only options i have in the wizard. outside the wizard, i looked at different options, and nothing jumped out as being incorrect. since the bulk of my troubleshooting always involves going online to see what others have done, this became frustrating, not being able to get online... so i hooked up my old router again, to see if i could turn up any suggestions for other dlink routers, because there's absolutely no information about the 890L out there yet.
so one derp for me. all i had to do was restart the modem and everything connected just fine. i'll update in a bit with my impressions on performance.
EDIT: ok, tried a few different casual tests. i have a 'download' station where i get my tv shows and whatnot from, and then i transfer those to my HTPC on the other side of the basement. the download pc is wired, htpc is wireless. in the past i was struggling to get 1MB/s, often lower. now i know a BIG part of this is also the upgrade to the asus ac68 wifi card, but now i'm getting around 2.5MB/s. which is still not impressive, because these are external drives i'm transferring it to. when i transfer to the desktop(i have a m.2 ssd for the OS), i'm able to get a steady rate between 11.1-11.4MB/s.
some other minor improvements.
-my old dlink 655 did not want to work on channel 1 for some reason. the signal was sporatic, and often too weak. but that is by far the best channel for me to operate in for 2.4ghz band. fortunately the 890L has no problem maintaining a steady signal on channel 1. this is not a huge deal, but it's nice.
-i'm out of the crowded 2.4ghz band finally, and it appears as though NONE of my close neighbours are using 5ghz. i have no competition right now in that band. the 890L has automatically connected to my htpc(asus 68 ac wifi card) on one of the 5ghz channels, and my other wireless n devices on the other.
-signal strength is slightly stronger, i was getting -49 to -52db's before, now it's -39 to -43db. (measured at my htpc, which is only about 20feet away from the router)
unfortunately i have not had a chance to test out the streaming much. my bd player, which has always been finnicky, wouldn't connect to the internet until i manually entered all the info, and now it seems to hang when i try to load up Mediabrowser on it. I think i'll have to reinstall MB3 on it, seems like I had to do that for my other clients as well.
anyway, I was able to successfully stream a low bitrate 1080p video(the interview) to my laptop which played relatively stutter-free(I'm guessing this is the limitation of my 8yr old laptop's integrated graphics) and a medium bitrate 1080p video(standard digital copy of 22 jump street) to my phone at the same time.
so, again, no idea how this would compare to the asus 68u or other high end ac router, but it's a HUGE leap from my old dir655. with the new asus wifi card, I'm getting very impressive results so far.