DISH Sling TV - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #631 of 649 Old 10-27-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just jumped into all this. Cable company really got to me. Bought a ROKU express for $30 and am trying a Sling free trial (orange). So far I am happy with the picture quality for the live channels. We'll see how it goes. I'm on local channel only for cable and my next step will be going to antenna and dropping cable for TV. Still looking around for channel lineups and learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 649 Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 60
-subscribed

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went!
post #633 of 649 Old 01-16-2018, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Have been with Sling for a week now and they still need to get some kinks worked out. My biggest complaint is with their cloud DVR. Currently you are unable to watch a recording from the beginning if it is still recording! I find the GUI much easier to work with than the Vue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 649 Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgb01 View Post
Have been with Sling for a week now and they still need to get some kinks worked out. My biggest complaint is with their cloud DVR. Currently you are unable to watch a recording from the beginning if it is still recording! I find the GUI much easier to work with than the Vue.
If you're coming from hardware DVR's most cloud DVR's don't have a buffer yet. There is a work around if you're recording on one of the channel's that lets you go back to previous programs, HGTV for instance,
just click into the program and you'll be offered the option to watch from the beginning. This won't work on the channels that only run in real time. Baby steps
Lgb01 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #635 of 649 Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If you're coming from hardware DVR's most cloud DVR's don't have a buffer yet. There is a work around if you're recording on one of the channel's that lets you go back to previous programs, HGTV for instance,
just click into the program and you'll be offered the option to watch from the beginning. This won't work on the channels that only run in real time. Baby steps
YTTV lets you start watching from beginning even in "mid-program". I watch sporting events by starting to watch an hour after they start -- then FF thru commercials, halftime etc and are caught up by end of game.
They also have an unlimited storage for 9 months. (They don't have CNN et al
post #636 of 649 Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Getting back to Sling TV:

It's been pretty reliable for the past few months - until today. As of 7 PM Central I can't access squat! Anyone else having trouble with Sling today?

Coincidentally (?), just recently my ISP (Spectrum, fka Time-Warner Cable) announced their own "skinny bundle" streaming service: Spectrum TV Choice. I don't think the Net Neutrality repeal goes into effect for a few more weeks, but if Spectrum did decide to slow down competing services to the point of unusability a few weeks early, I seriously doubt the FCC would do anything about it.

Edit: At least I'm not alone. Sling TV is having issues all over tonight: http://downdetector.com/status/sling

Edit 2: Sling's response on Twitter:
Quote:
We're aware some viewers are experiencing streaming issues. Our teams are working hard to resolve the issues as quickly as possible.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-03-2018 at 06:34 PM.
post #637 of 649 Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Getting back to Sling TV:

It's been pretty reliable for the past few months - until today. As of 7 PM Central I can't access squat! Anyone else having trouble with Sling today?

Coincidentally (?), just recently my ISP (Spectrum, fka Time-Warner Cable) announced their own "skinny bundle" streaming service: Spectrum TV Choice. I don't think the Net Neutrality repeal goes into effect for a few more weeks, but if Spectrum did decide to slow down competing services to the point of unusability a few weeks early, I seriously doubt the FCC would do anything about it.

Edit: At least I'm not alone. Sling TV is having issues all over tonight: http://downdetector.com/status/sling

Edit 2: Sling's response on Twitter:
Was able to access out in the Pacific time zone. Using Spectrum internet also. OTT services all go down from time to time, but it seems to happen for a short time in off hours. Prime time outages are becoming rare.

post #638 of 649 Old 04-05-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Yes it's worked fine the last two nights. I now doubt Spectrum was involved, but thanks for the feedback confirming!

Guess we were just unlucky to have a major prime-time outage Tuesday. Like I said it's actually been pretty reliable in the last few months.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #639 of 649 Old 04-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Best Interface?

Hi,

Trying to start using Sling because TV5- ze French, are now on and much cheaper than regular DISH.

Had a lot of trouble with W10, Android and other apps getting the Cloud DVR to work. Is this reliable on ROKU?
I am trying the ROKU and cannot seem to edit recordings... make them routine for certain shows (like news). Sometimes and interface shows up and sometimes not.

The DVR cloud has the feeling of beta... any instructions anywhere????

Read thru this post and see that the cloud DVR is nothing like the regular hardware DVR... problem will be compromised by servers... I have Gb fiber so that is not the problem.

They have me for a month... then will leave.

JY

Last edited by jerryyyyy; 04-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.
post #640 of 649 Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Hi,

Trying to start using Sling because TV5- ze French, are now on and much cheaper than regular DISH.

Had a lot of trouble with W10, Android and other apps getting the Cloud DVR to work. Is this reliable on ROKU?
I am trying the ROKU and cannot seem to edit recordings... make them routine for certain shows (like news). Sometimes and interface shows up and sometimes not.

The DVR cloud has the feeling of beta... any instructions anywhere????

Read thru this post and see that the cloud DVR is nothing like the regular hardware DVR... problem will be compromised by servers... I have Gb fiber so that is not the problem.

They have me for a month... then will leave.

JY
They have never had a manual per se, but the faq's are helpful. Start here..http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US...-Sling-TV-work .. Recordings can not be edited, when a program is recorded there is padding before and after the program done automatically. No cloud dvr of any service is quite like a hardware one yet, they are all a work in progress.
jerryyyyy likes this.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 04-06-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: whoops
post #641 of 649 Old 04-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
They have never had a manual per se, but the faq's are helpful. Start here..http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US...-Sling-TV-work .. Recordings can not be edited, when a program is recorded there is padding before and after the program done automatically. No cloud dvr of any service is quite like a hardware one yet, they are all a work in progress.
Thanks, and I looked at the FAQ. What is weird is that I cannot record series... maybe they have unique identifiers in some way. For example, the evening news.

I'll experiment and see which ones appear to work. I am using the ROKU interface since that is supposed to be the most reliable. I do not think I have the latest dongle/USB insert for my OPPO. Probably two years old.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I look at it tonight and it seems to have straightened out a lot of the recordings.... I could almost live with this. Looks like it looks forward about a week. As long as it routinely records regular shows I am good.

Does anyone know the differences in quality of the images of satellite versus sling on DISH? Looks little lower resolution... watching soccer.

Last edited by jerryyyyy; 04-07-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #642 of 649 Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, and I looked at the FAQ. What is weird is that I cannot record series... maybe they have unique identifiers in some way. For example, the evening news.

I'll experiment and see which ones appear to work. I am using the ROKU interface since that is supposed to be the most reliable. I do not think I have the latest dongle/USB insert for my OPPO. Probably two years old.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I look at it tonight and it seems to have straightened out a lot of the recordings.... I could almost live with this. Looks like it looks forward about a week. As long as it routinely records regular shows I am good.

Does anyone know the differences in quality of the images of satellite versus sling on DISH? Looks little lower resolution... watching soccer.
Usually to record series, click on a tile for program or on the grid if you are using that option. Click on record for the options that come up, when you click on record you should see three options..record all episodes, new episodes, or just this episode. Choose and you're done. Usually satellite can look a little better then streaming but it can be a very small difference a good comparison would be Sling TV vs Dish , they are both parts of Dish Network. Some people feel Direct TV looks sharper than Dish, Direct TV Now now does look sharper then Sling TV but it's not a massive difference. I have them both.
jerryyyyy likes this.

post #643 of 649 Old 04-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Usually to record series, click on a tile for program or on the grid if you are using that option. Click on record for the options that come up, when you click on record you should see three options..record all episodes, new episodes, or just this episode. Choose and you're done. Usually satellite can look a little better then streaming but it can be a very small difference a good comparison would be Sling TV vs Dish , they are both parts of Dish Network. Some people feel Direct TV looks sharper than Dish, Direct TV Now now does look sharper then Sling TV but it's not a massive difference. I have them both.
Hi,

Did a systematic test yesterday on image quality. Bottom line Dish satellite streams HD at 6Mbs while the best you get with Sling seems to be 3. I can easily tell the difference when I look at the two one after the other on the same show. Very clear on the news and the quality of the texts. So will be staying with the real dish... Other downsides of the Sling is the slow responsiveness... can beat a HDD locally recording... Upside is you can see Sling anywhere.

Thanks for all the help getting the recording working. I'll probably retain the subscription for a bit just to play with it at a distance.

JY
post #644 of 649 Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Did a systematic test yesterday on image quality. Bottom line Dish satellite streams HD at 6Mbs while the best you get with Sling seems to be 3. I can easily tell the difference when I look at the two one after the other on the same show. Very clear on the news and the quality of the texts. So will be staying with the real dish... Other downsides of the Sling is the slow responsiveness... can beat a HDD locally recording... Upside is you can see Sling anywhere.

Thanks for all the help getting the recording working. I'll probably retain the subscription for a bit just to play with it at a distance.

JY
Depending on the channel Sling can stream at 4.7 mbs, (I heard ESPN can go higher) 3 sounds a little low. Check in the options and make sure it's set for best quality. A dish and physical dvr are still the best if you have a place to mount the dish.
jerryyyyy likes this.

post #645 of 649 Old 04-11-2018, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the comment. I checked on my XBOX and ROKU and both were at the top settings. Guess I will stay with the disk and the HDD. I am very sensitive to image defects... one of my hobbies is astrophotography... It shows up most in sports and news where there is an image in an image.... often they pixilate.
post #646 of 649 Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Can anyone get Nat Geo Wild and Fxx live. I've done 2 two separate months and both were on demand only?
post #647 of 649 Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Can anyone get Nat Geo Wild and Fxx live. I've done 2 two separate months and both were on demand only?
They always have been.

post #648 of 649 Old 04-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:
They always have been.
So the rep lied when she said that she was watching live
post #649 of 649 Old 04-11-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the rep lied when she said that she was watching live
Reps make a lot of errors. I never talk to reps I read and e-mail as needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page