The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 247Likes

post #331 of 1782 Old 09-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
I'll be trying out the Vue service soon (maybe next week), and I'm trying to get some answers to questions ahead of the trial, so that I will be able to hopefully answer questions my wife and kids may wind up asking.

1) Is there some sort of 10/30 second skip type functionality (forwards/backwards) that a Harmony remote can send? From what I think I've been able to figure out by searching online, maybe it works with the Fire TV stick, but not with the Roku app. Is that right? Also, it may be dependent upon whether you are watching a show that has been completely recorded, versus a show that is still being recorded, versus a show that is listed as "On Demand". Seems confusing.

2) Is there some feature that stops streaming if the remote control hasn't been used in X hours? Otherwise I'm afraid someone will just leave it streaming and we may not notice for quite awhile.

3) Anyone hear anything about an Apple TV app in the works, or a TiVo app?
Pretty sure Apple TV has a Vue App

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1782 Old 09-06-2016, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
I'll be trying out the Vue service soon (maybe next week), and I'm trying to get some answers to questions ahead of the trial, so that I will be able to hopefully answer questions my wife and kids may wind up asking.

1) Is there some sort of 10/30 second skip type functionality (forwards/backwards) that a Harmony remote can send? From what I think I've been able to figure out by searching online, maybe it works with the Fire TV stick, but not with the Roku app. Is that right? Also, it may be dependent upon whether you are watching a show that has been completely recorded, versus a show that is still being recorded, versus a show that is listed as "On Demand". Seems confusing.

2) Is there some feature that stops streaming if the remote control hasn't been used in X hours? Otherwise I'm afraid someone will just leave it streaming and we may not notice for quite awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
Pretty sure Apple TV has a Vue App
There is a 10 sec FF and RWD skip on the FireTVs when using the circular ring's left and right side. Each click jumps forward (right side) or back (left side) 10 secs. You can do it really fast and multiple times to hop over commercial breaks (i.e. - 6 clicks = 1 minute). I've gotten very good at it that it's almost as fast as SkipMode on TiVo. Not sure about the Roku app as I haven't tried it yet because I like the FTV so much. I even bought a PS4 to try it with and ended up returning it.

Yes, all those parameters apply and are dependent on how and when you can use FF/RWD/Skip, plus it's also channel dependent as well.

Not sure about the timeout option if no one uses the remote for awhile. I thought about that too, but haven't researched yet and would love to know myself.

No, there's no AppleTV native app. You can only use your iOS device and then Airplay it to your AppleTV.
post #333 of 1782 Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
There is a 10 sec FF and RWD skip on the FireTVs when using the circular ring's left and right side. Each click jumps forward (right side) or back (left side) 10 secs. You can do it really fast and multiple times to hop over commercial breaks (i.e. - 6 clicks = 1 minute). I've gotten very good at it that it's almost as fast as SkipMode on TiVo. Not sure about the Roku app as I haven't tried it yet because I like the FTV so much. I even bought a PS4 to try it with and ended up returning it.

Yes, all those parameters apply and are dependent on how and when you can use FF/RWD/Skip, plus it's also channel dependent as well.

Not sure about the timeout option if no one uses the remote for awhile. I thought about that too, but haven't researched yet and would love to know myself.

No, there's no AppleTV native app. You can only use your iOS device and then Airplay it to your AppleTV.
I'm sure an app is coming, I do see it is on the Ipad/Iphone, could always just mirror for now

LG OLED B7A 65"
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1782 Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
do the smallest packages contain live local channels?

I see the website describes them as "on demand" on the channel description.

I know the live channels are "by area" but how can you know before signing up? Do you not know until you get the service?

Below is a link to an article that describes where local channels are available. For those of us who do not receive locals, On Demand is provided for ABC, NBC, and FOX. Shows can be watched the day after they air. I hope this helps answer your question.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...markets/405235
post #335 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just started my trail last night, so in a bit of a honeymoon period, and I love it so far. Using a Fire TV and a couple Chromecasts and I'm finding it very simple to get Vue to every TV in the house without separate boxes. I feel like I'm the target audience for this service. We don't watch much broadcast TV, its mostly football and kids shows. I can get all my football through apps like WatchESPN, FSG, BTN, NBCS etc. The only problem I need to solve for yet NFL on CBS because my projector doesn't have a OTA tuner.

I'm coming from a TV/Phone/Internet bundle that just went up in price this month at $186. Dropping the phone and tv takes me to $80 for 100 meg internet. So $80+$35 is a pretty dang good deal to me for really only losing CBS NFL games.(For now)
post #336 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcthespark View Post
Below is a link to an article that describes where local channels are available. For those of us who do not receive locals, On Demand is provided for ABC, NBC, and FOX. Shows can be watched the day after they air. I hope this helps answer your question.

Oh wow,

I did not think the market was THAT limited, maybe I will hold off for a bit.

LG OLED B7A 65"
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #337 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post
Just started my trail last night, so in a bit of a honeymoon period, and I love it so far. Using a Fire TV and a couple Chromecasts and I'm finding it very simple to get Vue to every TV in the house without separate boxes. I feel like I'm the target audience for this service. We don't watch much broadcast TV, its mostly football and kids shows. I can get all my football through apps like WatchESPN, FSG, BTN, NBCS etc. The only problem I need to solve for yet NFL on CBS because my projector doesn't have a OTA tuner.

I'm coming from a TV/Phone/Internet bundle that just went up in price this month at $186. Dropping the phone and tv takes me to $80 for 100 meg internet. So $80+$35 is a pretty dang good deal to me for really only losing CBS NFL games.(For now)

$30 OTA tuner would solve that problem (and it has a bare bones DVR).

Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB 3 / 4 Channel HDTV Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Player (New Version)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IYETYX8..._SNc0xb2P0NHK6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #338 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
EDIT: I posted these responses before seeing the next page in the thread where most questions were answered. Because some of my responses included new information, I'm leaving as is.
Quote:
do the smallest packages contain live local channels?

I see the website describes them as "on demand" on the channel description.

I know the live channels are "by area" but how can you know before signing up? Do you not know until you get the service?
When you go to the PS Vue website, you'll need to put in your zip code so it can tell you if you have live locals in your area. The only cities that I know to have them are New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. In those areas, you have no choice but to pay $10 more for each package than the areas that don't have all the live locals. However, in some areas, you still might get one or two locals without the extra charge depending on how those locals are owned and operated. Right now in San Diego, I get the local NBC and CBS affiliate, but still only pay $35 for the Core Slim package. (The packages have different names where customers are charged for live locals.) As soon as all live locals are added, I expect to have no choice but to pay $10 more for my current package.

Quote:

1) a skip function depends on the device. I know the Fire Stick and Android app have a skip function, but the PS3/4 don't. Not sure about the Roku. Skipping ahead only works on recorded shows. On Demand shows often don't allow fast forwarding/skipping ahead. You usually can pause and skip back any time on any show.

2) My PS4 remote auto-shuts off after 10-15 minutes (that's how I have it set to save batteries), but the PS Vue app will happily continue to stream until there's a local power outage or internet service interruption. YMMV on other devices.

3) They still don't offer a PS Vue app for current gen Sony smart TVs for chrissake.

Last edited by Zookster; 09-07-2016 at 10:40 AM.
post #339 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcthespark View Post

Some things in that article are not "technically" correct....but generally correct. Example, I live in Orlando which is not O&O ...I dot get a Fox affiliate like the article mentions but its not Fox35 (Orlando)....but rather Fox13 (Tampa)..... which is actually kinda cool since I a slightly different take on state news if I so desire....or sometimes info on events going in Tampa.

I am not sure why that is the affiliate I get....for some bizarre reason Sony shows my Zip to be a Tampa area zip. Its been that way since I signed up for PSN decades ago. Just havent bothered to go thru the what I know will be ordeal to have Sony change that.

Personally, I am fine without any locals since I get really good signal for all the locals with my antenna....which has a far far superior PQ than anything on Vue.
post #340 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
EDIT: I posted these responses before seeing the next page in the thread where most questions were answered. Because some of my responses included new information, I'm leaving as is.

When you go to the PS Vue website, you'll need to put in your zip code so it can tell you if you have live locals in your area. The only cities that I know to have them are New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. In those areas, you have no choice but to pay $10 more for each package than the areas that don't have all the live locals. However, in some areas, you still might get one or two locals without the extra charge depending on how those locals are owned and operated. Right now in San Diego, I get the local NBC and CBS affiliate, but still only pay $35 for the Core Slim package. (The packages have different names where customers are charged for live locals.) As soon as all live locals are added, I expect to have no choice but to pay $10 more for my current package.

1) a skip function depends on the device. I know the Fire Stick and Android app have a skip function, but the PS3/4 don't. Not sure about the Roku. Skipping ahead only works on recorded shows. On Demand shows often don't allow fast forwarding/skipping ahead. You usually can pause and skip back any time on any show.

2) My PS4 remote auto-shuts off after 10-15 minutes (that's how I have it set to save batteries), but the PS Vue app will happily continue to stream until there's a local power outage or internet service interruption. YMMV on other devices.

3) They still don't offer a PS Vue app for current gen Sony smart TVs for chrissake.
Philadelphia also has the full slate of O&O broadcast networks available (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC)
post #341 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Some things in that article are not "technically" correct....but generally correct. Example, I live in Orlando which is not O&O ...I dot get a Fox affiliate like the article mentions but its not Fox35 (Orlando)....but rather Fox13 (Tampa)..... which is actually kinda cool since I a slightly different take on state news if I so desire....or sometimes info on events going in Tampa.

I am not sure why that is the affiliate I get....for some bizarre reason Sony shows my Zip to be a Tampa area zip. Its been that way since I signed up for PSN decades ago. Just havent bothered to go thru the what I know will be ordeal to have Sony change that.

Personally, I am fine without any locals since I get really good signal for all the locals with my antenna....which has a far far superior PQ than anything on Vue.

Agreed. I love my OTA setup already and don't want to be forced to pay Sony for locals I already get. If you want to include them, great. But don't force me to pay.

post #342 of 1782 Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Agreed. I love my OTA setup already and don't want to be forced to pay Sony for locals I already get. If you want to include them, great. But don't force me to pay.

Same here, but knowing the network fat cats Sony is probably getting raped hardcore on cost to include these channels

post #343 of 1782 Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2016 View Post
Same here, but knowing the network fat cats Sony is probably getting raped hardcore on cost to include these channels

-If its included in something I have already signed up for....fine
-If its available as an option I can choose to add on ....fine
-If they add it without me asking for it and increase the bill ...cancel.

Costs aside, one of the advantages that the likes of Vue and Sling have over cable is the no commitment so we can sign up, change packages and cancel as we see fit.
Axememan likes this.
post #344 of 1782 Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Is anyone using one of the new Android TV boxes which have the Amlogic S912 chipset and support 4K and HDR10/Dolby Vision? I've tried 2 boxes so far, the YokaTV KB2 and R-Box Pro. I was able to download the PS Vue app to both boxes, however the app would not open in either box. Both boxes were very poor quality, with IR remotes that worked sporadically and issues viewing some 4K and HDR videos. I was curious if anyone had tried other TV boxes, such as the Nexbox A1 or Beelink GT1? These are supposedly better companies with quality products and firmware updates. I prefer to not purchase products from geek-buying or gear-best, which are Chinese websites and have terrible reputations for product support and returns. I may just wait until more of these boxes are available with positive reviews on Amazon.
post #345 of 1782 Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
Is anyone using one of the new Android TV boxes which have the Amlogic S912 chipset and support 4K and HDR10/Dolby Vision? I've tried 2 boxes so far, the YokaTV KB2 and R-Box Pro. I was able to download the PS Vue app to both boxes, however the app would not open in either box. Both boxes were very poor quality, with IR remotes that worked sporadically and issues viewing some 4K and HDR videos. I was curious if anyone had tried other TV boxes, such as the Nexbox A1 or Beelink GT1? These are supposedly better companies with quality products and firmware updates. I prefer to not purchase products from geek-buying or gear-best, which are Chinese websites and have terrible reputations for product support and returns. I may just wait until more of these boxes are available with positive reviews on Amazon.
These Chinese boxes are running regular Android as you would find on a phone or tablet, not Android TV. Unfortunately, it causes confusion with the actual Android TV devices.

However, Vue does not have an official Android TV app. The Android app for phones and tablets can be sideloaded and it works but lacks the ability to use a TV remote. On the Shield TV the controller's right stick can be used as a mouse or you can plug in a keyboard and mouse. It still relies on you using touch-like gestures with the mouse to navigate, which to me is not ideal.

Right now, IMO PS4 and the Fire TV are the best devices for Vue.
post #346 of 1782 Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post

Did you try to negotiate your internet down? My TP ends the first of the year. Comcast has already offered me 100 for 49 dollars a month. Verizon has quoted me 64 dollars for 75 which I have with them with the TP. I plan on using the Comcast offer to lower that amount. Hoping to get in the 50 something dollar range. That would put the total to around 90 dollars. That would save me around 65 dollars a month. We plan on ditching the landline since we rarely use it. Getting a Fire tv box tomorrow and will trial it out on Vue. PS3 is a lost cause with the continue frame issues. Looks like Sony has given up on it since the issue has been present since launch. Other technical issues from Roku to Fire tv have been fixed via updates. We have a Roku in the bedroom and though the UI is a afterthought it does stream the channels. Cannot justify the added expense of a PS4 when I can get 4 of them for the price of a PS4 and no one would game on it anyway.
post #347 of 1782 Old 09-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone have a clue if Vue will add the ACC Network & PAC12 Network ? I'm loving this for college football with Longhorn Network, all the FOX & ESPN channels, Big10 & Sec networks, college football heaven.
post #348 of 1782 Old 09-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
Anyone have a clue if Vue will add the ACC Network & PAC12 Network ? I'm loving this for college football with Longhorn Network, all the FOX & ESPN channels, Big10 & Sec networks, college football heaven.

I don't know but man that would be great if they did

post #349 of 1782 Old 09-28-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
http://liliputing.com/2016/09/amazon...remote-40.html

Faster firetv stick, wonder how it runs Vue. I'm pretty happy with the firetv box.
post #350 of 1782 Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2016 View Post
I don't know but man that would be great if they did

I don't understand these posts. People subscribe to Vue for the price. You start loading up more channels and it will be 100 bucks a month like cable, and what's the point?

No more channels unless they are premium packages that are optional to subscribe too.(but espn will never allow that)
post #351 of 1782 Old 09-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
http://liliputing.com/2016/09/amazon...remote-40.html

Faster firetv stick, wonder how it runs Vue. I'm pretty happy with the firetv box.

Same here. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

post #352 of 1782 Old 09-28-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Same here. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

I'll probably buy one, just maybe not on launch day. Pretty soon after i'll report back in here if nobody else does.
post #353 of 1782 Old 09-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I do not understand why Sony won't make an APP to play On their own Android TV?!I thought I was in when I got the new Sony TV.I have been waiting for an APP for the Shield TV as well.
post #354 of 1782 Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axememan View Post
I do not understand why Sony won't make an APP to play On their own Android TV?!I thought I was in when I got the new Sony TV.I have been waiting for an APP for the Shield TV as well.
No kiddin'! Imagine the possibilities in e.g. integrating the OTA grid with the Vue grid. It'd be cord-cutter heaven! Hopefully they are working on it...
Axememan likes this.
post #355 of 1782 Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post
No kiddin'! Imagine the possibilities in e.g. integrating the OTA grid with the Vue grid. It'd be cord-cutter heaven! Hopefully they are working on it...
I'm subscribing as soon as it's available on my Sony TV.
post #356 of 1782 Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony just released the new firmware update for 2015 - 2016 TV's with Android and unfortunately it appears there was no PS Vue app or functionally added.
post #357 of 1782 Old 10-26-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sony hates android.
post #358 of 1782 Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
PS Vue Expands to Android TVs Today, PC and Mac Web Support Coming Soon
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...t-coming-soon/
Dave Harper, Ninja7 and SSpectre like this.
post #359 of 1782 Old 10-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post
PS Vue Expands to Android TVs Today, PC and Mac Web Support Coming Soon
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...t-coming-soon/
very good - thanks for the heads-up! I installed it on my Sony TV with Android TV and it works well; quite the upgrade from the Roku interface we have used up til now, even ch up/down works on the favorite channels!
post #360 of 1782 Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 PM

Has anyone tried it on their nVidia Shield yet? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page