The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #1501 of 1760 Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Last night I noticed that ATV4K actually has 10 skip and skip back with Siri remote. I have a remote case in it so I find I'm right in the raised bezel area of track pad to activate skip at right and left.

This spot isn't so generous as other apps. At least a quarter inch, maybe as much as 3/8" closer to left/right edges. This also makes it hard activate. I tried without my case and I'm to accustomed to increased grip of the case. Without case, still hard to activate skips and remote isn't secure in my hand.

I can activate with case installed but biggest complaint is the extreme placement of this feature. My battery was down to 20% remaining; I'm charging it but doubt that's the issue here. The ATV4K PS Vue app needs an overhaul to best support Siri remote and 3rd party remotes. I can't get Logitech Harmony to skip or ffw or rw in ATV PS Vue app.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1760 Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I've had Vue for over a year and am very happy with the service overall. All four major locals are available in Dallas, obviating the need for an antenna. I have found performance very good on a second gen. Fire TV and several Android TV devices, including my Sony x930e, which has an extremely underpowered SoC.
post #1503 of 1760 Old 06-19-2018, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I've had Vue for over a year and am very happy with the service overall. All four major locals are available in Dallas, obviating the need for an antenna. I have found performance very good on a second gen. Fire TV and several Android TV devices, including my Sony x930e, which has an extremely underpowered SoC.
+ 1 here - all the networks available in Charlotte, and the performance and UI very good with 3rd gen FireTV. I did experience my first truly annoying buffering/stuttering the other night with a DVR of The Expanse - it was awful, but hopefully an anomaly.

I'll be getting a Cube when it's released - interested to see how smoothly voice control works with HDMI-CEC. I was close to getting a Harmony Hub to integrate with Alexa but this looks like it may provide smooth voice control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1760 Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

There was a 2.0.0 PSVue update for Apple TV today. The skip and skip back functions are now active.

Skip now works on 3rd party remotes like Logitech Harmony- as programmed with sequence that's been proven on other apps.

What doesn't work? No ffw or rw on 3rd party remote. PSVue app acknowledges that I pressed that button because it says disabled, try skip instead. Not ideal.

Another non working function is voice skip. All requests of time gets translated to a single skip. Not worth the effort if single skip was the goal. Other apps in Apple TV allow verbal Siri commands to skip desired amount in minutes or seconds.

post #1505 of 1760 Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post

What doesn't work? No ffw or rw on 3rd party remote. PSVue app acknowledges that I pressed that button because it says disabled, try skip instead. Not ideal.
On my Harmony, FF and RW worked using the direction pad or FF/RW button short press, and you can see frames as they pass, like on Shield TV. There also appear to be three levels of speed (ie. clicking three times moves forward quickly. 10 second skip worked using channel up/down or long press FF/RW buttons.
post #1506 of 1760 Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnc View Post
On my Harmony, FF and RW worked using the direction pad or FF/RW button short press, and you can see frames as they pass, like on Shield TV. There also appear to be three levels of speed (ie. clicking three times moves forward quickly. 10 second skip worked using channel up/down or long press FF/RW buttons.
This morning it's working as you describe. First time for me actually on ATV4K. Only scrub with Siri remote worked before. Looking again today, I do see on-demand includes that message but I was watching DVR episodes where that was occurring and only scrub was working.

I called PSVue support about this yesterday and they had me uninstall, reboot and reinstall the PSVue app. Last night it continued saying fast forward is disabled, try skip instead.

Other issues and suggestions I've called PSVue support to discuss: I had DVR recordings of Legion on FX being replaced with on-demand. Support confirmed this was allowed by their agreement with FX. This won't continue or I switch providers. I had read that FOX and PSVue were experimenting with this before but got resolved except for those that don't actually have the local FOX affiliate in their lineup. This is my first occasion of seeing it, for me. I have to say, I didn't expect it and it's very annoying. I couldn't ffw or skip commercials but switching to Roku, I could. This is stuff that Hulu and YouTube TV does that has would-be subscribers trying other providers. Get it right PSVue our I move to another provider.

I also suggested that PSVue support recommend more eastern feeds for West Coast where there's a choice. Two I've noticed are USA and SyFy; there are others (outside of local affiliates) my wife has noticed as well. DirecTV Now has these shows airing 3 hours earlier than PSVue. If DTVN can do it, PSVue should too.

post #1507 of 1760 Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

And I missed this in the update; ffw rw on ATV4K now works on Siri remote by holding the right or left side of track pad depressed.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/play...-the-apple-tv/

What's disappointing is voice skipping. Only voice skips one 10 second interval regardless of how far I tell it to skip. That's a start but try again PS Vue developers.

I could voice skip by desired intervals of time with Hulu Live TV. And Hulu has a neat skip function but it wasn't always there and may only pertain to enhanced DVR premium add-on. But when ad breaks were marked in a recording, a single skip would skip all the commercials. Notably, promos may not get skipped in a single jump and double or compounded commercial breaks may not skip as expected but it showed imagination of better TV in a cloud DVR. I'd like to see that feature on PS Vue sans the premium add-on. If it weren't for the Hulu enhanced DVR premium add-on, I'd likely still be subscribing to Hulu Live TV.

Last edited by brotony; 06-23-2018 at 10:24 PM.
post #1508 of 1760 Old 06-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Nat Geo Wild moved down to Core.
post #1509 of 1760 Old 06-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
PlayStation Vue gets what a skinny bundle should be (include most popular channels in lower tiers). That's cool but why not include that in access plan too?

I'm still unsure of what advantage core has over access? RSNs may not add additional games and I'm not into sports talk shows for those additional sports channels. Maybe I don't need core plan but PSVue needed to to make it more of a desirable upgrade, adding more family channels?

How about including more eastern feeds for us West Coast subscribers? That would help me more. West feeds should be intended more for catchup rather than single dedicated West Coast. Choices would be nice for both, where applicable. DTVN and Sling do this and PSVue claims they can because they're also a premium TV provider. I say don't let that be a barrier be a border, hurdle it.

I was on access plan until days of PlayStation offer to upgrade to core at a discount. I see there's a button on my account to look for offers; reminds me of DirecTV non advertised discounts but without the CSR agent interaction. I think I missed out on the 6 month free upgrade because of my current offer. But I'll look again when my core discount expires.

post #1510 of 1760 Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Quote:
PlayStation Vue gets what a skinny bundle should be (include most popular channels in lower tiers). That's cool but why not include that in access plan too?

I'm still unsure of what advantage core has over access? RSNs may not add additional games and I'm not into sports talk shows for those additional sports channels. Maybe I don't need core plan but PSVue needed to to make it more of a desirable upgrade, adding more family channels?

How about including more eastern feeds for us West Coast subscribers? That would help me more. West feeds should be intended more for catchup rather than single dedicated West Coast. Choices would be nice for both, where applicable. DTVN and Sling do this and PSVue claims they can because they're also a premium TV provider. I say don't let that be a barrier be a border, hurdle it.

I was on access plan until days of PlayStation offer to upgrade to core at a discount. I see there's a button on my account to look for offers; reminds me of DirecTV non advertised discounts but without the CSR agent interaction. I think I missed out on the 6 month free upgrade because of my current offer. But I'll look again when my core discount expires.

Core adds MLB, NBA, NFL, more ESPN's, Big ten Sec CBS sports, Hallmark, Ifc, National Geo Wild, Cooking, Diy, Olympic, Tcm.
post #1511 of 1760 Old 07-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
PlayStation Vue prices to increase....following Sling Orange ($5.00 increase) and DirectTV also $5.00…..

PlayStation Vue Subscription Service Change

We wanted to provide advance notice to our PlayStation Vue customers about an upcoming price change to PS Vue’s multi-channel plans. Starting July 24, 2018, the price for all PS Vue multi-channel plans – Access, Core, Elite and Ultra – will increase by $5. Current subscribers will see this change reflected on their billing cycle after July 31, 2018. PS Vue’s add-ons and standalone channels will not be affected by this price change.
At PlayStation, we are always evaluating the PS Vue service to ensure we are providing a compelling value to our customers. Unfortunately, we must increase the price of our multi-channel plans to keep pace with rising business costs and enable us to continue offering a better way to watch the best in live sports, entertainment, and news.......more here..

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...ervice-change/
post #1512 of 1760 Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post
PlayStation Vue prices to increase....following Sling Orange ($5.00 increase) and DirectTV also $5.00…..

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...ervice-change/
This is crap. I am thinking of canceling for the summer and only join back up in the fall when i am morel likely to care about live tv. Since I joined a mere 18 months ago the price has gone from $35 a month to $50 a month. That is a huge increase. It might now be cheaper to bundle comcast tv with my internet service. These companies dont get it, we left cable our two the crazy prices and they just keep moving the prices up so fast in a couple years will will be full on at cable bundle pricing.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1513 of 1760 Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
This is crap. I am thinking of canceling for the summer and only join back up in the fall when i am morel likely to care about live tv. Since I joined a mere 18 months ago the price has gone from $35 a month to $50 a month. That is a huge increase. It might now be cheaper to bundle comcast tv with my internet service. These companies dont get it, we left cable our two the crazy prices and they just keep moving the prices up so fast in a couple years will will be full on at cable bundle pricing.
I’ve had PSVue for about 19 months now. I’ve always had the Access package. In my area they always had local channels available. My bill has always been $39.99. It is now going up to $44.99. Seems to be a pretty good deal to me. Cable service has gone up way more than that where I live in the same time period. The only way PSVue will ever get anywhere near the cost of cable or sat is if cable and sat stop raising their prices every year or so. IMHO, that is not very likely.

Mark
post #1514 of 1760 Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I’ve had PSVue for about 19 months now. I’ve always had the Access package. In my area they always had local channels available. My bill has always been $39.99. It is now going up to $44.99. Seems to be a pretty good deal to me. Cable service has gone up way more than that where I live in the same time period. The only way PSVue will ever get anywhere near the cost of cable or sat is if cable and sat stop raising their prices every year or so. IMHO, that is not very likely.

Plus there’s no contract, you can cancel anytime you want and there’s no rental charge for equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjwagner likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1515 of 1760 Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Because of the Days of PlayStation sale on Core plan, my rate notification email says my rate doesn't increase until August 23rd.

The first articles I read on DTVN rate increases said YouTube TV, PS Vue and Sling started the rate increase trend. So is PS Vue beginning round 2? Others may follow yet again.

I have little to complain about at the moment but the increases are noted. PS Vue asks that we understand the need to increase rates to remain competitive? I do understand their position; business decisions aren't always in line with consumer interests. I also think PS Vue is looking more at return on investment rather than building and retaining subscriber base with these business decisions. But I have benefited from retention incentives so I'm still here, at least for now.

T-Mobile is bringing up their Layer3TV service soon to more areas as well; I signed up for email notifications.

Braxton Carter, T-Mobile’s CFO, stated at the recent Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference:

"T-Mobile acquired Layer3 TV for about $325 million, and the total cash burn for all R&D and investment as it steps toward a product launch later this year is about $150 million, and already embedded in T-Mobile’s guidance". -from Multichannel News

Not much else has been said for competitive reasons but the investment and goal to disrupt paid OTT TV service sure indicates that there's potential profit to be had if realized. I think that's where the players in this market should be; investing and competing for subscribers. Raising rates with a small subscriber base makes it easier for those entering the market.

post #1516 of 1760 Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 AM

I'm out, my total tv budget is $50 including Netflix. To many other cheaper options. Spectrum choice/Stream. Sling blue, Att watch and Philo. Luckily I have a antenna, which helps.

Last edited by spencer777; 07-03-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #1517 of 1760 Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I'm out, my total tv budget is $50 including Netflix. To many other cheaper options. Spectrum choice/Stream. Sling blue, Att watch and Philo. Luckily I have a antenna, which helps.
Netflix is already over $10, so that's tough unless you need almost no channels - which if that's the case you probably should've already been on something else.
post #1518 of 1760 Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Quote:
Netflix is already over $10, so that's tough unless you need almost no channels - which if that's the case you probably should've already been on something else.
Sling blue or Spectrum choice $25 + Netflix $13 + Hulu/Hbo promo. $11 = $49 can add ESPN+ when Hulu promo ends. Pretty easy.
post #1519 of 1760 Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Liked: 60
Why does PVUE have a different guide on my Roku Ultra than on all of my other devices?
I actually prefer the Roku guide which has the channels along the left side vs. along the top.
What do you guys think of the guides?

Thanks,
Len
post #1520 of 1760 Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Why does PVUE have a different guide on my Roku Ultra than on all of my other devices?
I actually prefer the Roku guide which has the channels along the left side vs. along the top.
What do you guys think of the guides?

Thanks,
Len
Because the PSVue UI is not consistent across devices. I personally prefer the UI on the FireTV/Android devices but that's JMO.

Mark
post #1521 of 1760 Old 07-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 35
DVR'd HDTV channel won't play

Tried to play Flip & Flop episodes 9, 10 via DVR and won't play on Roku Premier + or Chromecast. On Roku it switches to the live HDTV feed instead of playing the recorded Flip & Flop episode. On Chromecast, it says Thank You for watching even though nothing played. Any one have this issue or know how to get around it.
post #1522 of 1760 Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Tried to play Flip & Flop episodes 9, 10 via DVR and won't play on Roku Premier + or Chromecast. On Roku it switches to the live HDTV feed instead of playing the recorded Flip & Flop episode. On Chromecast, it says Thank You for watching even though nothing played. Any one have this issue or know how to get around it.
Sort of, download the HGTV watch to your Roku and you should be able to use use your PS Vue credentials to log in and watch those episodes. The rest of the problem is with the servers, all these streaming services go through these weird problems from time to time. Network apps are handy to have as backup.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #1523 of 1760 Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sling blue or Spectrum choice $25 + Netflix $13 + Hulu/Hbo promo. $11 = $49 can add ESPN+ when Hulu promo ends. Pretty easy.
Sling Blue does not have the same amount of channels as PS Vue Access. So that's apples to oranges. If you never needed the channels from Access why not already be using Sling Blue? If you did, they must be important to you - and $5 changes that?

Promos are promos, and they end, and then you're juggling and restructuring again.

Last edited by b_scott; 07-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.
post #1524 of 1760 Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
typical .. as soon as these greedy companies hit the desired #'s of customers , they start gouging.. cable sucks but streaming is beginning to suck "$$ wise" as well...HEY SONY , keep it up, you won't be getting my money.. i can get a better deal elsewhere...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #1525 of 1760 Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Looks like these services are really wanting to replace cable.......in every way =P
post #1526 of 1760 Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Looks like these services are really wanting to replace cable.......in every way =P
their prices went up. they passed it on to us. I don't see any evidence of price increase "just because"
mjwagner likes this.
post #1527 of 1760 Old 07-11-2018, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been on Vue since the beginning but I'm done. Just signed up for Philo at $16/month. Interface needs work but I'm plenty happy with the channel lineup (not a sports fan). The price difference pretty much covers my HBO & Netflix subscriptions.
post #1528 of 1760 Old 07-11-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolson View Post
I've been on Vue since the beginning but I'm done. Just signed up for Philo at $16/month. Interface needs work but I'm plenty happy with the channel lineup (not a sports fan). The price difference pretty much covers my HBO & Netflix subscriptions.
I'm certainly glad you found something that works for your requirements but Philo and PSVue are very different offerings targeting very different viewer requirements. If all you need is what Philo offers why were you paying for PSVue in the first place...

Mark
post #1529 of 1760 Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
their prices went up. they passed it on to us. I don't see any evidence of price increase "just because"
That may be the case but I just know that in the 2 years I have been with Vue...there has now been 3 price increases for my package. Sure does feel like "cable".

I still like it and think its the best of the "cheaper alternatives" to cable......but before too long it will just be an "alternative".
post #1530 of 1760 Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I'm certainly glad you found something that works for your requirements but Philo and PSVue are very different offerings targeting very different viewer requirements. If all you need is what Philo offers why were you paying for PSVue in the first place...

The original Vue Access bundle was $29 so it was a nice drop from Comcast. The only other option at the time was Sling and they didn't have any DVR capability yet.

PS Vue @ $45 isn't bad for all you get but like you said it comes down to viewer requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page