The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #1651 of 1760 Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Anyone able to get this to work? As others have reported, I'm not seeing the integration on my ATV. Tried both my 12.1 and 12.0.1 boxes, and neither give the option to connect TV and Vue.
I believe the way it works is that you need to watch something you've recorded on PSV. Then that show should start appearing in your ATV TV app when you have unwatched episodes to catch up on.

From what I've read, this isn't a full integration of PSV. You likely have to open the PSV to watch live. But recommendations may also start appearing; that would be of interest, IMO.

And from what I've experienced with the TV app on ATV with Hulu on-demand, episodes aren't reliably updated but you can at least mark an episode as watched to update it manually. Seems Hulu is having that problem itself but also wants to integrate Hulu Live TV so maybe it's more than what I'm expecting. I've yet to be impressed with the ATV TV app.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1760 Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I believe the way it works is that you need to watch something you've recorded on PSV. Then that show should start appearing in your ATV TV app when you have unwatched episodes to catch up on.

From what I've read, this isn't a full integration of PSV. You likely have to open the PSV to watch live. But recommendations may also start appearing; that would be of interest, IMO.

And from what I've experienced with the TV app on ATV with Hulu on-demand, episodes aren't reliably updated but you can at least mark an episode as watched to update it manually. Seems Hulu is having that problem itself but also wants to integrate Hulu Live TV so maybe it's more than what I'm expecting. I've yet to be impressed with the ATV TV app.

It eventually started working. The first thing to pop up on "Recently Watched" must have been On Demand episodes, because even though it recognized it as coming from PS Vue, it took me to to the iTunes option to buy the episodes. DVR recordings eventually started to populate and would open PS Vue when clicked to watch the recordings. Still not sure why I would ever use this rather than just going right into the Vue app.
post #1653 of 1760 Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
You are correct for current or recent Cable/Satellite customers, Vue is a great value. For people who cut the cord years ago, it's no longer a great value. The sweet spot is $35
It might be sweet spot for folks that are struggling to make ends meet. For example, if you’re unemployed. I’m not sure what you do for a living, but $35 isn’t that difficult to come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1760 Old 11-30-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
That is where a local commercial would be if you were watching on your regular/local cable.
I've seen sometimes where it would not cut in right and you get to see a second or two of a commercial.
post #1655 of 1760 Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Terrible pixelation DVR and On-Demand?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but recently I have noticed truly abysmal picture quality in my recorded shows and on-demand selections. Just this evening, watching the first two episodes of SyFy's Nightflyer and this weeks This Is Us, the pixelation in darker scenes, dark clothing, hair, etc...made watching almost unbearable. I can only assume this is a result of very extreme compression? Anyone else care to comment?
post #1656 of 1760 Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but recently I have noticed truly abysmal picture quality in my recorded shows and on-demand selections. Just this evening, watching the first two episodes of SyFy's Nightflyer and this weeks This Is Us, the pixelation in darker scenes, dark clothing, hair, etc...made watching almost unbearable. I can only assume this is a result of very extreme compression? Anyone else care to comment?
Just a theory but I had no way of verifying myself. Could this be adaptive streaming? What device are you seeing this with? Do you have another device to compare to?

The theory came from my trial with YouTube TV and the ability to see nerd stats. I had a Roku Ultra and ATV4K at the time and IIRC, the ATV4K was getting average bandwidth of 17Mbps while the Roku Ultra averaged over 40Mbps. Big difference?

I didn't correlate that to noisy dark backgrounds then but the theory came up again when I saw that on PSV with my ATV4K. I think it could be minimizing adaptive streaming to least possible bandwidth but can't measure or compare the two. I was leaving PSV at the time I noticed and can't recall if I compared to Roku Ultra then or not.

I did compare to DirecTV satellite as I returned to it and didn't see it there; I was pleased to see it gone. Not a fair comparison to streaming but to me it kind of supports the theory that adaptive streaming is to blame for what we saw; if same?

I'm not looking to start a debate, just offering a theory if someone could compare with actual data. It may be worth a look. I'd be interested to know since I'll likely be returning to streaming after my Directv discounts expire; just a one year offer to come back. If adaptive streaming is to blame, how can it be resolved? If it varies in manufacturers, is it app development or manufacturer OS?

No facts, just a theory. By PSV descriptions, on-demand is supposed to be better quality though I'm not sure I agreed. Some on-demand was better, to me, if it had less commercials and I could skip those too. Adding to DVR and checking on-demand when I had a choice was worthwhile on some channels.

post #1657 of 1760 Old 12-01-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Just a theory but I had no way of verifying myself. Could this be adaptive streaming? What device are you seeing this with? Do you have another device to compare to?

The theory came from my trial with YouTube TV and the ability to see nerd stats. I had a Roku Ultra and ATV4K at the time and IIRC, the ATV4K was getting average bandwidth of 17Mbps while the Roku Ultra averaged over 40Mbps. Big difference?

I didn't correlate that to noisy dark backgrounds then but the theory came up again when I saw that on PSV with my ATV4K. I think it could be minimizing adaptive streaming to least possible bandwidth but can't measure or compare the two. I was leaving PSV at the time I noticed and can't recall if I compared to Roku Ultra then or not.

I did compare to DirecTV satellite as I returned to it and didn't see it there; I was pleased to see it gone. Not a fair comparison to streaming but to me it kind of supports the theory that adaptive streaming is to blame for what we saw; if same?

I'm not looking to start a debate, just offering a theory if someone could compare with actual data. It may be worth a look. I'd be interested to know since I'll likely be returning to streaming after my Directv discounts expire; just a one year offer to come back. If adaptive streaming is to blame, how can it be resolved? If it varies in manufacturers, is it app development or manufacturer OS?

No facts, just a theory. By PSV descriptions, on-demand is supposed to be better quality though I'm not sure I agreed. Some on-demand was better, to me, if it had less commercials and I could skip those too. Adding to DVR and checking on-demand when I had a choice was worthwhile on some channels.

What do you mean exactly by network bandwidth? Using Apples Heads Up Display I’m getting 56-65 Mbps on the ATV4K streaming DTVN and 41-45 streaming YTTV for network bandwidth the way they describe it. I don’t see an item for that in Stats for Nerds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
brotony likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1658 of 1760 Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
What do you mean exactly by network bandwidth? Using Apples Heads Up Display I’m getting 56-65 Mbps on the ATV4K streaming DTVN and 41-45 streaming YTTV for network bandwidth the way they describe it. I don’t see an item for that in Stats for Nerds.

I think that's what I meant @m_snow . Did that stat have a name or description? Network bandwidth on your HUD? HUD would be the ideal tool but as I understand it Fire TV has an app that displays data on a smart phone.

Not sure what I was looking at in nerd stats though. That was back in February.

You're subscribing to YTTV? Thanks for the data. It would be nice to have some comparable data for PSV.

post #1659 of 1760 Old 12-01-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think that's what I meant @m_snow . Did that stat have a name or description? Network bandwidth on your HUD? HUD would be the ideal tool but as I understand it Fire TV has an app that displays data on a smart phone.

You're subscribing to YTTV? Thanks for the data. It would be nice to have some comparable data for PSV.

Right, it was called Network Bandwidth on the HUD. FireTV has something similar called System Monitor. No, I’m not subscribed to YTTV, it was just a trial. I’m still hanging with DTVN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brotony likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1660 of 1760 Old 12-02-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

For FireTV devices you can display real-time metric and some other info. Details, with directions on how to display, here -

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...per-tools.html

...for what you are looking for you want to switch Advanced Options to on...
brotony likes this.

Mark

Last edited by mjwagner; 12-02-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #1661 of 1760 Old 12-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
For FireTV devices you can display real-time metric and some other info. Details, with directions on how to display, here -

Thanks.

I was looking for an app or guide for x-ray but I'm not subscribed to PSV. Hoping someone else subscribed will gather the data to check the theory.

Last edited by brotony; 12-02-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #1662 of 1760 Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
I get awful artifacts on my ABC recordings. I assume it's the local feed that PSV is recording that is bad.
post #1663 of 1760 Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

I was looking for an app or guide for x-ray but I'm not subscribed to PSV. Hoping someone else subscribed will gather the data to check the theory.

Every Channel is 1280×720 60 fps 4.5 mpbs
brotony likes this.
post #1664 of 1760 Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Every Channel is 1280×720 60 fps 4.5 mpbs
Is this measured or stated somewhere? I have seen the 60fpsv confirmed elsewhere and could verify that with my Roku Ultra with framerate enabled when I was still subscribed.

Connection speed or bitrate? 4.5 Mbps seems slow or low. Could that account for the noise the dark backgrounds some describe? I'm thinking that's a yes.

post #1665 of 1760 Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this measured or stated somewhere? I have seen the 60fpsv confirmed elsewhere and could verify that with my Roku Ultra with framerate enabled when I was still subscribed.

Connection speed or bitrate? 4.5 Mbps seems slow or low. Could that account for the noise the dark backgrounds some describe? I'm thinking that's a yes.

It’s probably video bitrate and 4.5 Mbps would be relatively low. By comparison a 1280x720p 60fps program on my service with ATV4K is 8.57 Mbps average and 9.61 Mbps peak. I don’t know about the impact on noise and backgrounds though.

brotony likes this.

Mike
post #1666 of 1760 Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Another price increase for Vue?! I think it’s time I look at other options. Got charged $50 this month. It was a good deal at $35. Not so much at $50.
post #1667 of 1760 Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Another price increase for Vue?! I think it’s time I look at other options. Got charged $50 this month. It was a good deal at $35. Not so much at $50.

I was charged he same as last month. No change thus far.
Did you receive a notice or anything?
post #1668 of 1760 Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The last PSVue price increase that I’m aware of occurred back in July. That said, it is possible that you are in a state for which PSVue previously wasn’t collecting sales tax and now they are.

Mark
post #1669 of 1760 Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
The last PSVue price increase that I’m aware of occurred back in July. That said, it is possible that you are in a state for which PSVue previously wasn’t collecting sales tax and now they are.
That'd be a ~43% tax rate. I think I'd move if that were the case
post #1670 of 1760 Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
That'd be a ~43% tax rate. I think I'd move if that were the case
LOL...yeah, even for NY or NJ...😄 I honestly thought they had changed the lowest monthly rate to $45 back in July. If your monthly went from $35 to $50 something else is going on for sure. No recent price increases since July have been announced or implemented AFAIK. I would definitely contact PSVue customer support.

Mark
post #1671 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$49 is regular price. you were probably on some $35 promotion that ran out.
post #1672 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
$49 is regular price. you were probably on some $35 promotion that ran out.
Current PSVue package prices, per month, are:

Access - $44.99
Core - $49.99
Elite - $59.99
Ultra - $79.99

Mark
post #1673 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Current PSVue package prices, per month, are:

Access - $44.99
Core - $49.99
Elite - $59.99
Ultra - $79.99

Yep, I have regular, which is Core. $49. What do you have?
post #1674 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I have regular, which is Core. $49. What do you have?
I have Access. I never heard Core called regular.

Mark
post #1675 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have Access. I never heard Core called regular.
The word Core itself even just means regular. It's the main subscription.

Then you've got Access, which is slim or very basic, removing some of the regular channels. It actually used to be called Slim.

Elite and Ultra have added premium channels or even external subs like HBO/Sho.

But Access isn't $49, it's $44 as you noted. So you must be subbed to some additional thing as well. Either way the $35 thing was a promotional price. It must be over.

I just think of it this way - if I was ordering "cable" it would be Core. If I was ordering "basic cable" it would be Access/Slim.

Last edited by b_scott; 12-11-2018 at 12:23 PM.
post #1676 of 1760 Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The word Core itself even just means regular. It's the main subscription.

Then you've got Access, which is slim or very basic, removing some of the regular channels. It actually used to be called Slim.

Elite and Ultra have added premium channels or even external subs like HBO/Sho.

But Access isn't $49, it's $44 as you noted. So you must be subbed to some additional thing as well. Either way the $35 thing was a promotional price. It must be over.

I just think of it this way - if I was ordering "cable" it would be Core. If I was ordering "basic cable" it would be Access/Slim.
No worries. I just go by the names that PSVue assigns to its 4 packages to avoid confusion.
b_scott likes this.

Mark
post #1677 of 1760 Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM

PS Vue DVR Issues

Seems like all my DVR'd programs are going "On Demand" so I cannot skip commercials recently. I stopped watching Nightflyers on SyFy channel because it is always "on Demand" and the same thing is occurring with Dirty John on Bravo channel. Does anyone have any idea of why it is going to "On Demand" and not staying as a DVR'd recording so I can skip over the commercials. I have seen this happen on various programs that I tried to record.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #1678 of 1760 Old 12-19-2018, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Seems like all my DVR'd programs are going "On Demand" so I cannot skip commercials recently. I stopped watching Nightflyers on SyFy channel because it is always "on Demand" and the same thing is occurring with Dirty John on Bravo channel. Does anyone have any idea of why it is going to "On Demand" and not staying as a DVR'd recording so I can skip over the commercials. I have seen this happen on various programs that I tried to record.

I have not personally experienced this myself on any of the shows that I watch. That said, if the OTT providers continue to do this in collusion with the channels it will just drive more folks to the streaming alternatives....and their are many of them and they are easy to use.

Mark
post #1679 of 1760 Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post

How quickly are they going On Demand? I know Fox channels go on demand the next day, usually. Meaning unless you DVR and then watch them in 24 hours, you have to use the On Demand version. That includes FX and FXX. Syfy and Bravo may do that after a period of time too.
post #1680 of 1760 Old 12-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
How quickly are they going On Demand? I know Fox channels go on demand the next day, usually. Meaning unless you DVR and then watch them in 24 hours, you have to use the On Demand version. That includes FX and FXX. Syfy and Bravo may do that after a period of time too.

I usually watch a DVR'd program the day after, sometimes before 24 hours and other times after 24 hours. Really annoying to pay all this money and they give you a cloud DVR but turns out to be useless if programs go On Demand instead of staying DVR'd! Maybe time to look and another service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page