The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 230Likes

post #1711 of 1735 Old 04-08-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 125
the "new" flags have been broken for over a week, since the update. All shows stay staying "new" even after you've watched them, and shows that weren't New before then aren't showing New. A Discovery of Witches (AMC) recorded last night and didn't even bump to the front of my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1735 Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
With the big YTTV news, Sony better be ready for a flood of customers. Hopefully they are ready
post #1713 of 1735 Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
I've been with YTTV since February 2018 and would consider going back to PS Vue, but they're probably due for another price increase in July. We'll see. Now that I no longer have a grandfathered price to lose, there's no reason I can't shop around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1735 Old 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
the "new" flags have been broken for over a week, since the update. All shows stay staying "new" even after you've watched them, and shows that weren't New before then aren't showing New. A Discovery of Witches (AMC) recorded last night and didn't even bump to the front of my list.
This seems to have finally been fixed.
post #1715 of 1735 Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
With the big YTTV news, Sony better be ready for a flood of customers. Hopefully they are ready
You'd think so. And you're probably right, because a lot of consumers don't actually think. They REACT. You definitely need to check out the communities on facebook for DirectvNow, Hulu, Youtube, Playstation vue, etc. There's a lot of morons on there. That's why I try and place most of my opinions on forums like this. Forums usually have people that have a basic knowledge at least of what they're doing. Or at least are willing to learn.

Having said that, I left DirectvNow about a month ago. I didn't leave because of the price increase. Even with their increase, I was still saving a lot compared to directv satellite. I left because they had been promising me I'd get local channels "Any Day Now" for almost a year. Basically, I don't take kindly to being lied to or BS'd. So, I was looking obviously at hulu+live tv, youtube tv, and playstation vue as my main choices. Unfortunately, NONE of them offered me all the channels I wanted. So I knew I'd have to ADD a 2nd service. (Philo). Combined; all 3 services + Philo would give me the channels I wanted.

So I started looking at prices. I looked at when EACH company last raised their prices. Prices don't just rise because they feel like it. Companies, of all types, usually have a preset profit margin that they try and work with. This covers their expenses; pays their investors (Stock holders if appropriate); takes care of payroll; and still keeps them competitive. If they charge too little, they can't make the profit needed. If they charge too much, they aren't competitive. DirectvNow raised their prices $5 last August; and then again this month "April". Fubo raised their price in February. Hulu raised their price in March. Youtube tv's last price hike was last year about this time. And Playstation Vue raised their prices last July.

Now; directvNow was out of the question, because they have changed their demographic of customer they are aiming for, NOT to the 5 million +/- "Streaming TV Customers" out there. "WE" might think we're important as customers; but we aren't. And DirectvNow isn't going for us. They USED US "Streaming TV Customers" as BETA TESTERS that they didn't have to pay, and actually received money from. Their intent was and is, to MOVE their 21 MILLION + Satellite Customers to a streaming service. But they had to work out the bugs. ALL of their new 6 packages are designed to duplicate their satellite packages. They are testing their own proprietary streaming box; (Not roku, apple, fire, etc.).

So, the REAL Streaming Live TV providers are basically Playstation Vue, Slingtv, Youtube TV, Hulu Live tv, and Fubo. (Philo is a supplemental; equal to "BASIC CABLE". With Hulu and Fubo recently raising their prices in the last 60 days, and having been 7-12 months since Youtube tv and Playstation has, I knew that they WOULD/WILL raise their prices very soon. Youtube did it a few days ago. So, anyone with any common sense, would NOT be jumping to Playstation Vue. Why? Because they WILL RAISE their prices shortly. Some time within the next few months. My guess....... within 90 days. So, with youtube at $50 and Hulu at $45, You have to figure that Playstation vue is going to raise some of their tiers. BUT...... this is the main advantage that Playstation has over the others. (Not including DirectvNow). They have tiers. Cord cutters are use to tiers with cable and satellite. It makes you as a customer feel that you have OPTIONS. With youtube and Hulu, you get what they give you, whether you like it or not. So Playstation vue has the advantage of raising say the price on their bottom two packages and leaving the higher 2 at the current price. All depends on how many customers sign for which plan.

Each has their advantage. Unfortunately, NONE of them offer a totally inclusive package of channels. Hulu tries to do it by offering their one package, and then offering addons. Youtube only offers their packages and a few individual choices like starz, showtime, etc. Playstation has the advantage of packages; they have the advantage of a very stable company with Sony. Youtube has the advantage of MONEY "Being owned by Google". Hulu; LATE to the streaming LIVE TV game, has the advantage of being a well established On-Demand provider to also include their own productions. Just like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Now, with their LIVE TV Streaming service, they INCLUDE FREE their classic Hulu on-demand service. So, if you already had Hulu on-demand, then you actually save $6 a month because you get it for free with their live tv streaming service. And NOW, Apple is starting their own streaming service soon. Similar to hulu classic, netflix, prime.

I'd really like to see Playstation Vue be the top streaming company. They are definitely on the right path. They have the tiers. They offer HBO/Showtime included in a tier or separately. They have a lot of addons. BUT, to be #1 , they are going to have to do what no other has. They need to get the REST of the missing channels. Playstation VUE and Youtube tv BOTH have the AMC family of channels, but they are missing the A&E Family which includes the history channel, lifetime channels,... they're missing the Viacom channels which include all the MTV, VH1, CMT, BET, ALL of the NICK channels, etc. They need to make a deal with these companies. But MY SUGGESTION, would be to MERGE with Philo. Most people don't know this, but Philo is OWNED by A&E Networks, ,AMC Networks, Discovery Inc.,Viacom And their biggest investors are; HBO, Facebook co-founder Andrew McCollum, and Mark Cuban. Hulu is the opposite, they have the A&E family and such, but DON'T have the AMC family of channels. The first one that can offer EVERYTHING, especially in tiers/packages, that customers can choose from, WILL WIN.
TheMach and PlasmaHiDef like this.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Last edited by Christcorp; 04-11-2019 at 10:16 PM.
post #1716 of 1735 Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
You'd think so. And you're probably right, because a lot of consumers don't actually think. They REACT. You definitely need to check out the communities on facebook for DirectvNow, Hulu, Youtube, Playstation vue, etc. There's a lot of morons on there. That's why I try and place most of my opinions on forums like this. Forums usually have people that have a basic knowledge at least of what they're doing. Or at least are willing to learn.

Having said that, I left DirectvNow about a month ago. I didn't leave because of the price increase. Even with their increase, I was still saving a lot compared to directv satellite. I left because they had been promising me I'd get local channels "Any Day Now" for almost a year. Basically, I don't take kindly to being lied to or BS'd. So, I was looking obviously at hulu+live tv, youtube tv, and playstation vue as my main choices. Unfortunately, NONE of them offered me all the channels I wanted. So I knew I'd have to ADD a 2nd service. (Philo). Combined; all 3 services + Philo would give me the channels I wanted.

So I started looking at prices. I looked at when EACH company last raised their prices. Prices don't just rise because they feel like it. Companies, of all types, usually have a preset profit margin that they try and work with. This covers their expenses; pays their investors (Stock holders if appropriate); takes care of payroll; and still keeps them competitive. If they charge too little, they can't make the profit needed. If they charge too much, they aren't competitive. DirectvNow raised their prices $5 last August; and then again this month "April". Fubo raised their price in February. Hulu raised their price in March. Youtube tv's last price hike was last year about this time. And Playstation Vue raised their prices last July.

Now; directvNow was out of the question, because they have changed their demographic of customer they are aiming for, NOT to the 5 million +/- "Streaming TV Customers" out there. "WE" might think we're important as customers; but we aren't. And DirectvNow isn't going for us. They USED US "Streaming TV Customers" as BETA TESTERS that they didn't have to pay, and actually received money from. Their intent was and is, to MOVE their 21 MILLION + Satellite Customers to a streaming service. But they had to work out the bugs. ALL of their new 6 packages are designed to duplicate their satellite packages. They are testing their own proprietary streaming box; (Not roku, apple, fire, etc.).

So, the REAL Streaming Live TV providers are basically Playstation Vue, Slingtv, Youtube TV, Hulu Live tv, and Fubo. (Philo is a supplemental; equal to "BASIC CABLE". With Hulu and Fubo recently raising their prices in the last 60 days, and having been 7-12 months since Youtube tv and Playstation has, I knew that they WOULD/WILL raise their prices very soon. Youtube did it a few days ago. So, anyone with any common sense, would NOT be jumping to Playstation Vue. Why? Because they WILL RAISE their prices shortly. Some time within the next few months. My guess....... within 90 days. So, with youtube at $50 and Hulu at $45, You have to figure that Playstation vue is going to raise some of their tiers. BUT...... this is the main advantage that Playstation has over the others. (Not including DirectvNow). They have tiers. Cord cutters are use to tiers with cable and satellite. It makes you as a customer feel that you have OPTIONS. With youtube and Hulu, you get what they give you, whether you like it or not. So Playstation vue has the advantage of raising say the price on their bottom two packages and leaving the higher 2 at the current price. All depends on how many customers sign for which plan.

Each has their advantage. Unfortunately, NONE of them offer a totally inclusive package of channels. Hulu tries to do it by offering their one package, and then offering addons. Youtube only offers their packages and a few individual choices like starz, showtime, etc. Playstation has the advantage of packages; they have the advantage of a very stable company with Sony. Youtube has the advantage of MONEY "Being owned by Google". Hulu; LATE to the streaming LIVE TV game, has the advantage of being a well established On-Demand provider to also include their own productions. Just like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Now, with their LIVE TV Streaming service, they INCLUDE FREE their classic Hulu on-demand service. So, if you already had Hulu on-demand, then you actually save $6 a month because you get it for free with their live tv streaming service. And NOW, Apple is starting their own streaming service soon. Similar to hulu classic, netflix, prime.

I'd really like to see Playstation Vue be the top streaming company. They are definitely on the right path. They have the tiers. They offer HBO/Showtime included in a tier or separately. They have a lot of addons. BUT, to be #1 , they are going to have to do what no other has. They need to get the REST of the missing channels. Playstation VUE and Youtube tv BOTH have the AMC family of channels, but they are missing the A&E Family which includes the history channel, lifetime channels,... they're missing the Viacom channels which include all the MTV, VH1, CMT, BET, ALL of the NICK channels, etc. They need to make a deal with these companies. But MY SUGGESTION, would be to MERGE with Philo. Most people don't know this, but Philo is OWNED by A&E Networks, ,AMC Networks, Discovery Inc.,Viacom And their biggest investors are; HBO, Facebook co-founder Andrew McCollum, and Mark Cuban. Hulu is the opposite, they have the A&E family and such, but DON'T have the AMC family of channels. The first one that can offer EVERYTHING, especially in tiers/packages, that customers can choose from, WILL WIN.
Great points. You are right, most people react. All you have to do is read the Reddit forum for YTTV. People are talking about canceling or actually canceling. The same thing happened when DTV Now raised their prices, people reacted. Canceling out of emotion does nothing if the price is still better than what is currenly available. Some will cancel just to prove a point, and they have that right.

I'm a YTTV customer and I don't like the price hike either. I don't want/need those channels. But, they are still cheaper than cable and the PQ is flat out better. At least most people on these forums have some common knowledge and think before overreacting.

If YTTV would have went with tiers, I am sure there would have been less backlash over the new price with added channels. There is one thing I disagree with in your statement. Keep in mind, cordcutters don't want more channels. They only want select channels and a low price to go with it. If one streaming service were to get ALL the family of channels, the price would be just as much or more than current sat/cable companies. That defeats the purpose of cutting the cord. We have reached the point of way to many channels and not enough content.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 04-12-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #1717 of 1735 Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Great points. You are right, most people react. All you have to do is read the Reddit forum for YTTV. People are talking about canceling or actually canceling. The same thing happened when DTV Now raised their prices, people reacted. Canceling out of emotion does nothing if the price is still better than what is currenly available. Some will cancel just to prove a point, and they have that right.

I'm a YTTV customer and I don't like the price hike either. I don't want/need those channels. But, they are still cheaper than cable and the PQ is flat out better. At least most people on these forums have some common knowledge and think before overreacting.

If YTTV would have went with tiers, I am sure there would have been less backlash over the new price with added channels. There is one thing I disagree with in your statement. Keep in mind, cordcutters don't want more channels. They only want select channels and a low price to go with it. If one streaming service were to get ALL the family of channels, the price would be just as much or more than current sat/cable companies. That defeats the purpose of cutting the cord. We have reached the point of way to many channels and not enough content.
That's why I emphasized the point of Playstation Vue and their tiers/packages. Different amount of channels for different needs. Slingtv actually has the best concept. 1 very basic package. A 2nd package more expanded. After that, they have ADD-Ons for EVERYTHING. Where sling fails, (Among a number of things), is if you are the type that want pretty much everything, with slingtv it will cost more than $120 once you keep adding all the $5 and $10 a month add-ons.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #1718 of 1735 Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post

Great points until needing to make a deal with Viacom and [email protected] These streaming services need to make their packages slimmer and let people make choices based on the content they want. I chose Vue because I have no interest in Viacom and [email protected]
post #1719 of 1735 Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The owner of Viacom has no interest in dealing with any company that isn't a terrestrial cable one. He's professed this. Vue/YTTV is never getting them.
post #1720 of 1735 Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
The owner of Viacom has no interest in dealing with any company that isn't a terrestrial cable one. He's professed this. Vue/YTTV is never getting them.
LOL...good luck with that strategy...

Mark
post #1721 of 1735 Old 04-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I've been with YTTV since February 2018 and would consider going back to PS Vue, but they're probably due for another price increase in July. We'll see. Now that I no longer have a grandfathered price to lose, there's no reason I can't shop around.
I just came back to PSVue yesterday. I had DTVN but with the price hikes due early next month, I was looking for a reason to dump them. Even though I was grand-fathered into their old packages, they recently dumped the NFL Network as a ploy to negotiate with the NFL on keeping Sunday Ticket exclusivity. So they used all their AT&T cable subs and DTVN subs as pawns. Screw em. Happy to finally rid myself of AT&T yet again and hopefully permanently since DTVN absolutely sucks now.
post #1722 of 1735 Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I just cancelled Vue yesterday. It was pretty solid. Guide is meh and whenever there was a "major" sporting event you'd get the "oh hey I'm just gonna randomly rewind you 30 seconds, nah 60 seconds...now try to get back to live, good luck". Anyhow those were tolerable. Living in CT though, Sony deciding to flat out drop NESN was it (instead of keeping them while negotiating new terms). Dropping them right before the B's game was pure calculated evil

Good thing it takes 5 min to cancel and another 5 to sign up to YTTV.

Now come football season, I might have to come back...unless YTTV adds redzone.
post #1723 of 1735 Old 04-22-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can watch those games on NBC. If you can't locally, I'd be more mad at your local blackout rules.

I've never heard of NESN until this backlash, but I guess it's just a Boston area channel so doesn't affect me in Chicago.
DJ_JonnyV likes this.
post #1724 of 1735 Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
More so that NESN carries all the regular season Sox and Bruins games (and some of the Bruins playoffs, NBC had yesterdays game).

It is definitely only a regional thing...but enough to make me switch. First world problems for sure.

Quote:
I can watch those games on NBC. If you can't locally, I'd be more mad at your local blackout rules.

I've never heard of NESN until this backlash, but I guess it's just a Boston area channel so doesn't affect me in Chicago.
post #1725 of 1735 Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1951 View Post
I have the Roku ultra and the Apple TV 4K. I prefer the UI on the Apple especially since the last update which includes the ability to watch 4 programs at once.
Which app/service are you using to watch 4 shows at once?
post #1726 of 1735 Old 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_N View Post
Which app/service are you using to watch 4 shows at once?
The Vue app on Apple TV since the last update lets you watch 2 3 or 4 live programs at the same time on the one screen was great for March madness and the hockey playoffs.
post #1727 of 1735 Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1951 View Post
The Vue app on Apple TV since the last update lets you watch 2 3 or 4 live programs at the same time on the one screen was great for March madness and the hockey playoffs.
Excellent, thanks for the info. I am trying Fubo right now but that is a very cool feature. I immediately thought of hockey playoffs.
post #1728 of 1735 Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Excellent, thanks for the info. I am trying Fubo right now but that is a very cool feature. I immediately thought of hockey playoffs.
I tried FUBO before VUE and liked it a lot. They had some soccer matches in 4k really nice. Had to switch because they do not have local ABC station no Jeopardy is a no go with the wife. They also don't have ESPN pretty strange for such a sports centric service.
post #1729 of 1735 Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM

The 4K sports definitely interests me. Hoping to check it out this weekend.

How did you find the picture quality of Vue vs fubo? I already notice less macroblocking with fubo compared to fios.
post #1730 of 1735 Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The 4K sports definitely interests me. Hoping to check it out this weekend.

How did you find the picture quality of Vue vs fubo? I already notice less macroblocking with fubo compared to fios.
I thought that VUE picture was a little sharper to my eyes but both were better then what I used to get from the FIOS STB.
post #1731 of 1735 Old 05-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 185
It appears PSV is down. Getting an error stating "Profile could not be found" on both my Fire TV and Roku. Others are complaining about the same error on Twitter.
post #1732 of 1735 Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 34
WABC - NY Picture Breakup

Those having the WABC - NY stream, does anyone notice the picture breaking up here and there while watching this channel. Looks as if the stream is getting corrupted and displays incorrect information in certain parts of the picture.
post #1733 of 1735 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 306
How does Vue compare to the other services for picture quality? I once had DTVN, Sling, and YTTV on trial at the same time and DTVN was better quality to my eyes. Is there any well done published comparison?

Jack
post #1734 of 1735 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
How does Vue compare to the other services for picture quality? I once had DTVN, Sling, and YTTV on trial at the same time and DTVN was better quality to my eyes. Is there any well done published comparison?

Check out this lnk - https://thestreamable.com/live-tv-streaming/specs
post #1735 of 1735 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
No. Too many variables, routers, wi-fi vs. hard wired, latency, buffering. Lots of things that the provider (or you) may not be able to control. What you see IS what you get, for your conditions. Streaming devices make a difference too. Your best bet is a trial of any service you may find interesting, the internet is full of dubious numbers throwing. Many people swear by Vue, if it has the channels you need try it, run it around the block, stress test it, try it around prime time if you watch live (prime time is usually internet hell usually during the week).

There are internet comparisons, but nothing you couldn't do on your own.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming