*OFFICIAL*POPCORN HOUR VTEN:The World First 4K Ultra HD network media player - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 168Likes

post #541 of 1018 Old 12-23-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Yes. Sadly they said at this time they are not looking to revamp the jukebox but hopefully they will change there mind. With everything working so smooth the last piece missing is a good jukebox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1018 Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just grabbed a Vten to replace my aging Micca EP-950......

My needs were met.....it recognized my external Bluray drive on esata and USB...
It recognized my 4 bay Mediasonic box on USB.....only one drive showed on esata....but thats ok, USB will do....it played all my 3D-MVC mkvs......

The Micca was much quicker on file access.....the Vten is slightly clunky, but competent......hopefully the Vten will get snapier with updates.......gonna change that ugly wall paper on the home screen......

The big difference? The video quality on the Vten is astounding..great depth and clarity. Almost has a 3D look on a lot of material.....
Haven't messed with the jukebox yet.....really dont care about cover art, etc....

So....Im happy......grabbed a Wetek core for Kodi....and a Vten for my local files...not a bad Xmas !!
neodante likes this.
post #543 of 1018 Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
try the manual for the A400 its almost identical to the VTEN

http://files.syabas.com/popcornhour/...UserManual.pdf
Thanks, I'll try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1018 Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Yes. Sadly they said at this time they are not looking to revamp the jukebox but hopefully they will change there mind. With everything working so smooth the last piece missing is a good jukebox.
Too bad. I was really hoping for a great all in one MKV playback device.

Looky here!
post #545 of 1018 Old 12-24-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Merry Xmas to All!
aaronwt and neodante like this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #546 of 1018 Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Anyone else have problems from the last update with the on/off system ? Sometimes don't works properly for me.

Merry Christmas for all !
post #547 of 1018 Old 12-26-2015, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone confirm if read mkv H 265 to 23,976 fps?
Thank you.
post #548 of 1018 Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yes it will read h265 at 23.976
drdig likes this.
post #549 of 1018 Old 12-26-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LG TV does better than VTEN

I use my VTEN with a Thecus N2200 NAS to play media on an LG 65UF9500 UHD TV.
I downloaded several 4K files to play and test. One of the videos is called TimeScapes (about a 20GB download).
In certain parts of the video, it starts to stutter. I clicked on Info and it shows that when the video streaming rate goes above approximately 130-140 Mbps is when the video starts to stutter/buffer/hesitate. As the scene changes, and the streaming rate goes down, the video plays smoothly.
I copied the video file to a USB drive and connected it directly to the VTEN. The result was slightly better, but not by much.
I then connected VTEN directly to the LG TV to eliminate any additional processing added by the Denon receiver. No improvement.
I then connected the USB drive directly to the LG TV, thus removing the Denon and VTEN out of the loop. Lo and behold - flawless playback!
This was my first time playing a video/movie on the LG TV directly from a USB drive. I did not expect it to perform better than a dedicated media play like VTEN.
I am disappointed that the VTEN could not keep up with the 4K video's streaming rate.
I have several other 4K videos that play fine. However, I noticed their streaming rate is below 50-60 Mbps.
On the LG, I can only see the streaming rate when I play the video through VTEN as it is a feature of the media player and not the TV.
Maybe, the LG TV is somehow slowing down the streaming rate. I don't know. However, the video looks stunning and looks the same as when played through the VTEN.
post #550 of 1018 Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LG TV does better than VTEN

As per my previous post, I am generally pleased with the Vten......but njaffer has just stumbled upon something I just stumbled upon....there seems to be a bottleneck in the Vtens' USB inputs...

I just played a file...Riddick x265 10 bit 12 mb bitrate.......looks incredible..10 bit color really cleans up detail....
But....plays fine from external Blu-ray disc, connected via esata ....plays but cant seek from hard drive via USB docking station...seeking causes file to freeze, then it wont load again....
Played perfectly from USB stick...seeking and all...

I dont stream....so I cant comment on that.
This is what I referred to earlier in the Vtens "clunkiness" ......it seems to struggle with data from its various inputs......hopefully its a software glitch than can be fixed...if its a hardware glitch....oh well.
post #551 of 1018 Old 12-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My VTEN was delivered yesterday and I'm very happy with the picture quality, it's top notch. It's definitely better than the nvidia shield and the roku 3. The motion handling is also very good when playing 23.976 material and it bitstreams all the HD audio I've thrown at it so far. I don't really care about 4K playback until JVC releases a projector with native 4K panels.

I just started playing around with NMJ jukebox, while it's not as snappy or nice looking as KODI on the shield it does the job. Hopefully I can get it to work with multiple SMB shares, because my NAS is running out of space and will need to attach an external drive to it soon. From what I read I think it's doable via NMJToolkit2. So far the VTEN looks like a keeper!
post #552 of 1018 Old 12-27-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
From what I read I think it's doable via NMJToolkit2.
If you've got multiple shares and a relatively large media library then don't even waste your time using the VTen to build your jukebox. NMJT2 is an awesome utility and without it, I couldn't use NMJ. I update my jukebox exclusively with it now.
post #553 of 1018 Old 12-27-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaffer View Post
I use my VTEN with a Thecus N2200 NAS to play media on an LG 65UF9500 UHD TV.
I downloaded several 4K files to play and test. One of the videos is called TimeScapes (about a 20GB download).
In certain parts of the video, it starts to stutter. I clicked on Info and it shows that when the video streaming rate goes above approximately 130-140 Mbps is when the video starts to stutter/buffer/hesitate. As the scene changes, and the streaming rate goes down, the video plays smoothly.
I copied the video file to a USB drive and connected it directly to the VTEN. The result was slightly better, but not by much.
I then connected VTEN directly to the LG TV to eliminate any additional processing added by the Denon receiver. No improvement.
I then connected the USB drive directly to the LG TV, thus removing the Denon and VTEN out of the loop. Lo and behold - flawless playback!
This was my first time playing a video/movie on the LG TV directly from a USB drive. I did not expect it to perform better than a dedicated media play like VTEN.
I am disappointed that the VTEN could not keep up with the 4K video's streaming rate.
I have several other 4K videos that play fine. However, I noticed their streaming rate is below 50-60 Mbps.
On the LG, I can only see the streaming rate when I play the video through VTEN as it is a feature of the media player and not the TV.
Maybe, the LG TV is somehow slowing down the streaming rate. I don't know. However, the video looks stunning and looks the same as when played through the VTEN.
Mosty likely you are hitting the limit. Remember this is an HDMI 1.4 device its cant handle top of the line 4k bitrate so you have to look at all the details bitrate/chroma sampling/audio I would assume you are right at the top of its limits with the video you are trying to play.
post #554 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9447 Post(s)
Liked: 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
If you've got multiple shares and a relatively large media library then don't even waste your time using the VTen to build your jukebox. NMJT2 is an awesome utility and without it, I couldn't use NMJ. I update my jukebox exclusively with it now.
Yes. I've been using NMJ2 for years with my PCH products. It's excellent!

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #555 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are there any known SD card limitations/gotchas and/or recommendations? Like what would be the best bang for the buck (largest size, cheapest price) that people have successfully used? Thanks.
post #556 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Mosty likely you are hitting the limit. Remember this is an HDMI 1.4 device its cant handle top of the line 4k bitrate so you have to look at all the details bitrate/chroma sampling/audio I would assume you are right at the top of its limits with the video you are trying to play.
Are there any rumors of an HDMI 2.0 follow-on product? HDMI 2.0a with support for HDR?

I am looking for a way to stream 1080p Atmos MKVs from a DLNA media server, and it seems as though the VTEN would fit that bill.

But I am also looking for a way to stream HDR Atmos content off of Amazon, Netflix, and VUDU and it seems as though the VTEN falls short for that.

I am currently streaming HDR through my LGEF9500 but am unable to get the Atmos bitstream back to my AVR through ARC.

Was hoping to find one solution for both problems but sounds as though that may require another product generation...
post #557 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Are there any rumors of an HDMI 2.0 follow-on product? HDMI 2.0a with support for HDR?

I am looking for a way to stream 1080p Atmos MKVs from a DLNA media server, and it seems as though the VTEN would fit that bill.

But I am also looking for a way to stream HDR Atmos content off of Amazon, Netflix, and VUDU and it seems as though the VTEN falls short for that.

I am currently streaming HDR through my LGEF9500 but am unable to get the Atmos bitstream back to my AVR through ARC.

Was hoping to find one solution for both problems but sounds as though that may require another product generation...

You probably won't get all in one anytime soon. It's just too difficult for companies to make everyone happy the closest you'd get to a current AIO is Nvidia Shield. Personally I'd rather a company focus on local or streaming. They both have very different needs. If anyone needs a reminder just look at the headaches Boxee went through

Sent from nowhere
post #558 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You probably won't get all in one anytime soon. It's just too difficult for companies to make everyone happy the closest you'd get to a current AIO is Nvidia Shield. Personally I'd rather a company focus on local or streaming. They both have very different needs. If anyone needs a reminder just look at the headaches Boxee went through

Sent from nowhere
AIO, thanks. Back in that phase where I am learning from the Forum .

So what would you recommend:

Just forget about Atmos HDR for now and focus on Atmos HD and 5.1 HDR until the dust has cleared in a year or two?

With Dolby Vision in the mix, I suppose that Atmos HD is far and away more mature/settled than HDR....
post #559 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
AIO, thanks. Back in that phase where I am learning from the Forum .

So what would you recommend:

Just forget about Atmos HDR for now and focus on Atmos HD and 5.1 HDR until the dust has cleared in a year or two?

With Dolby Vision in the mix, I suppose that Atmos HD is far and away more mature/settled than HDR....

You could wait to see what the companies release this year. There should be more capable local media players available. If you need a local player now AND want the broadest compatibility focus on minimal 4K and more robust 1080p/lossless audio support. I'm not as worried about the players for HDR as most of it (from little I do know) is metadata and not hardware based (outside of the display). If a player is DV capable, then it should be HDR10 as well. I was looking at picking up the VTEN, but I think I may wait to see what this year brings for media players.

Sent from nowhere
post #560 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
You could wait to see what the companies release this year. There should be more capable local media players available. If you need a local player now AND want the broadest compatibility focus on minimal 4K and more robust 1080p/lossless audio support. I'm not as worried about the players for HDR as most of it (from little I do know) is metadata and not hardware based (outside of the display). If a player is DV capable, then it should be HDR10 as well. I was looking at picking up the VTEN, but I think I may wait to see what this year brings for media players.

Sent from nowhere
Thanks. I think I'll do the same. I think there is a way I can transcode my Atmos MKVs to a format compatible with streaming to my Sony Bluray player, so while it is a PITA, that can probably tide me over until their is a viable AIO solution.

I think 2016 will prove to be the real 'year of HDR' after Samsung's attempt to make 2015 the year of HDR...
post #561 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll do the same. I think there is a way I can transcode my Atmos MKVs to a format compatible with streaming to my Sony Bluray player, so while it is a PITA, that can probably tide me over until their is a viable AIO solution.

I think 2016 will prove to be the real 'year of HDR' after Samsung's attempt to make 2015 the year of HDR...

Well ATMOS tracks have TrueHD, so technically it should "work" unless that's not compatible with your BR player. I have an A400 that is going strong, so really I'm in no "rush".

Sent from nowhere
post #562 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Well ATMOS tracks have TrueHD, so technically it should "work" unless that's not compatible with your BR player. I have an A400 that is going strong, so really I'm in no "rush".

Sent from nowhere
Apparently the Sony Bluray players only support TrueHD through physical disc - USB limited to AC3. The one reason for hope is that the VUDU Atmos demos made it through to my AVR as bitstream, so streaming through Ethernet may be handled like disc rather than USB...

I just installed MPC-HC and successfully got my laptop to play Atmos into my AVR, so that may be my fall-back until new AIO media players are available...
Ph8te likes this.
post #563 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Apparently the Sony Bluray players only support TrueHD through physical disc - USB limited to AC3. The one reason for hope is that the VUDU Atmos demos made it through to my AVR as bitstream, so streaming through Ethernet may be handled like disc rather than USB...

I just installed MPC-HC and successfully got my laptop to play Atmos into my AVR, so that may be my fall-back until new AIO media players are available...

Well an AIO media player is a unicorn the most you can hope for these days is a 2 player solution. I just don't see anyone doing an AIO successfully with the limitations involved (copy protections, etc). Boxee got the closest IMO and while Nvidia Shield is very close, it like others falls short when comparing to dedicated players.

Sent from nowhere
post #564 of 1018 Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Well an AIO media player is a unicorn the most you can hope for these days is a 2 player solution. I just don't see anyone doing an AIO successfully with the limitations involved (copy protections, etc). Boxee got the closest IMO and while Nvidia Shield is very close, it like others falls short when comparing to dedicated players.

Sent from nowhere
Good to know, thanks. I added MadVR to my laptop (HTPC ?) and while that improved the video rendering from MPC-HC, it is still a far cry short of what I get playing the same MKV either through my 65EF9500 or my Sony Bluray player.

I'd like to find a way to play my Atmos MKVs with Atmos sound, but not at the expense of video quality (compared to 5.1 MKVs).
post #565 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
GI'd like to find a way to play my Atmos MKVs with Atmos sound, but not at the expense of video quality (compared to 5.1 MKVs).
I rip my Atmos discs using MakeMKV and play them through my V-Ten and there is no loss of video quality and of course, the audio is awesome...very happy!

Cheers
Ph8te likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #566 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
I rip my Atmos discs using MakeMKV and play them through my V-Ten and there is no loss of video quality and of course, the audio is awesome...very happy!

Cheers
Good to know, thanks.

Are the MKS you rip THD-only or THD & AC3 (dual-track)?

So with a VTEN, it sounds like I'd have a complete 1080p solution and the only thing I'd be missing is a 4K/HDR Atmos streaming solution (my LG 4K TV streams 4K/HDR in 5.1 through ARC).

Are there any rumors that Popcorn will be coming out with a successor product to the VTEN that streams 4K/HDR?
post #567 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know, thanks.

Are the MKS you rip THD-only or THD & AC3 (dual-track)?

So with a VTEN, it sounds like I'd have a complete 1080p solution and the only thing I'd be missing is a 4K/HDR Atmos streaming solution (my LG 4K TV streams 4K/HDR in 5.1 through ARC).

Are there any rumors that Popcorn will be coming out with a successor product to the VTEN that streams 4K/HDR?
Rumors specific to Popcorn hour is no. But Sigma did announce a 4k/HDR chipset back in September it usually takes 6+ months before we see units using an announced chipset.
Ph8te likes this.
post #568 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Rumors specific to Popcorn hour is no. But Sigma did announce a 4k/HDR chipset back in September it usually takes 6+ months before we see units using an announced chipset.
Great to know - thanks. So I think I'll be camping out with what I have until mid-next-year .

Does the current VTEN product do a good job streaming Netflix, Amazon and VUDU in 1080p?

Does Popcorn generally announce new products at CES or not?

I think 2016 will prove to be the 'real' year of HDR so being limited to Atmos on Bluray until the dust has cleared on that is probably the smart thing to do.
post #569 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NO the VTEN does not offer any online services. For most people I still say get two boxes. A roku for your online stuff and another player for your local stuff. The online streaming services are so spread out with who gets what quality. Netflix will give 1080p/4k two a select few devices I dont know the reasoning behind this. But most android devices cant get 1080p netflix. Amazon is same way not all devices are allowed to get 1080p/4k again dont know the reason why.
fafrd and Ph8te like this.
post #570 of 1018 Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
NO the VTEN does not offer any online services. For most people I still say get two boxes. A roku for your online stuff and another player for your local stuff. The online streaming services are so spread out with who gets what quality. Netflix will give 1080p/4k two a select few devices I dont know the reasoning behind this. But most android devices cant get 1080p netflix. Amazon is same way not all devices are allowed to get 1080p/4k again dont know the reason why.
Interesting, thanks.

The thing I am finding befuddling is that it appears that the Streaming Service providers intend to bundle Atmos sound with 4K/HDR premium offerings, and yet the 4K/HDR streaming apps included with 4K/HDR TVs have no way to get Atmos back to an AVR through ARC.

So you will need to have some external box to stream 4K/HDR if you want to play Atmos sound.

Does the Roku stream 4K/HDR with Atmos?

My Sony 5200 Bluray player does stream VUDU in 1080p with Atmos, but not 4K or HDR.

It's a real jungle out there - hopefully at CES in few weeks we will learn how Netflix, Amazon, and VUDU expect us to stream their premium service offerings...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page