*OFFICIAL*POPCORN HOUR VTEN:The World First 4K Ultra HD network media player - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 168Likes

post #601 of 1018 Old 01-09-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6240
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Unwatched would be nice. I can't imagine it's anything more than a trivial change to the NMJ DB. Box sets should be pretty easy to add as well. The data is in the TMDB, and they already have Seasons for TV episodes. People have been asking for this for a while now. I can't imagine it's anything more than plain stubbornness.

The tags are already there (since they can show in NMJTOOLBOX). I would think their reasoning is, if they "add to NMJ" people would raise hell if it took the place of functionality bug fixes.

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1018 Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The tags are already there (since they can show in NMJTOOLBOX). I would think their reasoning is, if they "add to NMJ" people would raise hell if it took the place of functionality bug fixes.

Sent from nowhere
Most of the functionality issues are fixed. It's time for some usability fixes.
captainbrent likes this.

Looky here!
post #603 of 1018 Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
One would think flash developers would be cheap these days
jkasanic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Got the box Vten delivered via amazon.

Overall impressions:
Good
Great picture quality (much better than mac mini).
Passed through audio perfectly.
3D worked flawless, via ISO and MKV.
Navigation speed of menus, shares, etc is acceptable.
NMJ recognized the majority of my library.
NMT apps, specifically Nzbget worked minus the slow disk write speed and the chipsets limitations for unpacking.

Not so good
Write Speeds are around 8MB-10MB (tried ntfs and ext3)
Cost $185 with shipping.

I ended up returning the box because it didnt meet my needs, I was looking for an all in one solution so I didnt have to leave my gaming PC running non-stop or manually switch external hard drives when adding content. If the box was ~$100 I would have kept it. For now im just going to use my gaming pc as HTPC and sell the mac mini.
post #605 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on the fence about getting the Vten. I want to pull the trigger but what is stopping me is no HDR support.

My AVR supports HDR as well as my TV. With the onslaught of HDR blurays coming out, it baffles me why there is no HDR support on the VTEN, as that is where 4k is going.

While the Vten is a great 1080P player, I want a truly future proofed solution that I can have for a long time and supports Atmos and DTS-X via passthrough to my AVR. I don't want to upgrade now only to have to do it again in 6 months.

What do you all recommend.
post #606 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 View Post
I am on the fence about getting the Vten. I want to pull the trigger but what is stopping me is no HDR support.

My AVR supports HDR as well as my TV. With the onslaught of HDR blurays coming out, it baffles me why there is no HDR support on the VTEN, as that is where 4k is going.

While the Vten is a great 1080P player, I want a truly future proofed solution that I can have for a long time and supports Atmos and DTS-X via passthrough to my AVR.
No such beast exists or ever will unfortunately.

Quote:
I don't want to upgrade now only to have to do it again in 6 months.
That is the business model for most tech companies. Obsolescence is built in

Quote:
Don't buy anything.
Steve Zodiac likes this.
post #607 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

While the Vten is a great 1080P player, I want a truly future proofed solution that I can have for a long time and supports Atmos and DTS-X via passthrough to my AVR. I don't want to upgrade now only to have to do it again in 6 months.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to stream UHD content through the VTen? As far as I know, there's no solution currently. My point is that this player came out well before the first UHD player/disc plus I haven't seen anything showing that streaming these discs will be possible in the near future. I'm guessing the next gen player will address some of these limitations BICBW.
post #608 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:

You'll have to wait for 2016/2017 players to see if they support what you want. This player was released well before HDR was a "thing" and thus the chipset does not support the newer HDR formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
No such beast exists or ever will unfortunately.

That is the business model for most tech companies. Obsolescence is built in

Don't buy anything.

Never is a long time, we should see players next year if not later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Out of curiosity, how are you planning to stream UHD content through the VTen? As far as I know, there's no solution currently. My point is that this player came out well before the first UHD player/disc plus I haven't seen anything showing that streaming these discs will be possible in the near future. I'm guessing the next gen player will address some of these limitations BICBW.

You are correct there is no media player solution as of yet. I would also agree that either this year or next we will see a player that meets the UHDBR needs.

Sent from nowhere
jkasanic likes this.
post #609 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Never is a long time, we should see players next year if not later this year.
I didn't mean that a player wouldn't exist that supports HDR rather that a player that the OP could keep for a long time will never exist.

There's always something in the pipelines that renders current hardware obsolete in one way or another.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by Orange_GT3; 01-12-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: sp.
post #610 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:

The VTEN uses HDMI 1.4. The HDR content coming out requires HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a. Kind of hard to support it when the hardware isn't there. Plus the SoC would need to support HDR too. Maybe there will be something by the end of this year?

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #611 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
So the Vten doesn't support Atmos passthrough?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #612 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
So the Vten doesn't support Atmos passthrough?
Yes, it does now!

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #613 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought so, but goaliebob99's post said otherwise.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #614 of 1018 Old 01-12-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought so, but goaliebob99's post said otherwise.
Although he did mention Atmos and DTS-X, I think that he was more concerned about HDR support. I can guarantee that bitstreaming Atmos to my Marantz, works perfectly now. As for DTS-X, that remains to be seen but hopefully that will bitstream propely too.

I agree with the others that worrying about HDR support in media players is a bit premature as not only is there a lack of equipment, it also remains to be seen if there will be a way to rip the 4K UHD discs!

Here's hoping that solutions will not be too far off!

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #615 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just purchased a VTEN. I am having mixed results with it. I have got it going on my home network and created a share from my PC where I have my video files stored. I have watched content from my PC over the network via my VTEN connected to my receiver and then my TV. When it works it works great. My problem is that sometimes when I go to the share to select a show to watch it can take up to 5 mins to display the files and sometimes longer. Other times you can turn it on go to the shared folder and it will display all the files in two seconds? There doesn't seem to be any way of telling if it will work or not. I am at a loss to explain it. I did have quite a bit of content say 100 files in the share folder and thought that might be causing the issue so I created another share with just one file. Got the same results, sometimes display the file in a second and other times takes forever.

Anyone got any clues with this as it makes it unusable really as sometimes you can't access the content.

Also noticed the unit gets very hot very quick.

Any help appreciated.

Brett
post #616 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 02:29 AM

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just purchased a VTEN. I am having mixed results with it. I have got it going on my home network and created a share from my PC where I have my video files stored. I have watched content from my PC over the network via my VTEN connected to my receiver and then my TV. When it works it works great. My problem is that sometimes when I go to the share to select a show to watch it can take up to 5 mins to display the files and sometimes longer. Other times you can turn it on go to the shared folder and it will display all the files in two seconds? There doesn't seem to be any way of telling if it will work or not. I am at a loss to explain it. I did have quite a bit of content say 100 files in the share folder and thought that might be causing the issue so I created another share with just one file. Got the same results, sometimes display the file in a second and other times takes forever.

Anyone got any clues with this as it makes it unusable really as sometimes you can't access the content.

Any help appreciated.

Brett
post #617 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
I agree with the others that worrying about HDR support in media players is a bit premature as not only is there a lack of equipment, it also remains to be seen if there will be a way to rip the 4K UHD discs!

Cheers
Say one was able to rip a 4k disc. Could you imagine the size up the file uncompressed!? Bluray movies can range from about 15Gb to close to 50 GB already.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #618 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I would assume near 100 GB scaling the resolution bit rate, HDR metadata, and soundtrack. MGo downloads have been reported in this range for UHD video. At 2 cents per GB for hard drive storage, $2 to have my disc as a digital file on my network is a no brainer, especially when compared to the $30 price of a physical disk. I would expect UHD Blu-ray to be cracked by Slysoft within at least a month of official release.
captainbrent likes this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #619 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurdelis View Post

Any help appreciated.

Brett

First getting hot is normal. The case is the heatsink its passive cooled so it will always be warm.

Second Do you have a second PC to try from as this is not sounding like a vten issue but maybe a network or PC problem that is causing this. I have folders with over 1000 items in them and they will always load the first 23 items in seconds. Explain your network setup and share setup a little. Could be anything from network congestion to firewall settings.
post #620 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 AM
UHD Addict

Yes thousands of items in one share on one of my unRAIDs and I see loading in seconds too.

post #621 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Say one was able to rip a 4k disc. Could you imagine the size up the file uncompressed!? Bluray movies can range from about 15Gb to close to 50 GB already.
Yup, the files are going to be big so, it's fortunate that storage is getting much cheaper and I expect that the price per terabyte will continue to come down...hoping so!

Cheers

post #622 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
First getting hot is normal. The case is the heatsink its passive cooled so it will always be warm.

Second Do you have a second PC to try from as this is not sounding like a vten issue but maybe a network or PC problem that is causing this. I have folders with over 1000 items in them and they will always load the first 23 items in seconds. Explain your network setup and share setup a little. Could be anything from network congestion to firewall settings.

Thanks for the reply. I have the VTEN plugged into a DLINK 5 port switch in the media room. The new samsung tv is also plugged into this switch. From there it plugs into the wall and comes out in my office where it goes into a DLINK 16 port hub. I have a few other things plugged into the hub including my wifes computer, printer etc and my adsl router. My PC is plugged into the router. Everything is a gigabit connection and I have brand new Cat6 cabling throughout. There is not much network activity as such. When I am using the VTEN there is basically nothing else going on so it is not a capacity issue. I have turned off sleep on my hard drives in case that was an issue but it didn't seem to make a difference. I can click on my files and display them and play them in seconds using VLC on the PC so it seems okay this end. Just seems like the VTEN gets lost sometimes and can't communicate, other times finds the stuff straight away.

Very frustrating when you sell this type of stuff to the wife and then when she sits down to watch something you see the VTEN circle go around and around and around not finding files the day before it found in seconds!

Brett
post #623 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM

I just tried the Samsung TV. The interface is a bit clunky but it seems to find files pretty much instantly. I tried the VTEN seconds later and it loops.

Also when I turned the VTEN on it went on, could see the normal menu on the TV and then VTEN turned off and cycled on and off about 4 times before staying on. (I could see the white light turn on and off and the TV would go black when it was off.) It this normal?
post #624 of 1018 Old 01-13-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have the VTEN plugged into a DLINK 5 port switch in the media room. The new samsung tv is also plugged into this switch. From there it plugs into the wall and comes out in my office where it goes into a DLINK 16 port hub. I have a few other things plugged into the hub including my wifes computer, printer etc and my adsl router. My PC is plugged into the router. Everything is a gigabit connection and I have brand new Cat6 cabling throughout. There is not much network activity as such. When I am using the VTEN there is basically nothing else going on so it is not a capacity issue. I have turned off sleep on my hard drives in case that was an issue but it didn't seem to make a difference. I can click on my files and display them and play them in seconds using VLC on the PC so it seems okay this end. Just seems like the VTEN gets lost sometimes and can't communicate, other times finds the stuff straight away.

Very frustrating when you sell this type of stuff to the wife and then when she sits down to watch something you see the VTEN circle go around and around and around not finding files the day before it found in seconds!

Brett
Quote:
I just tried the Samsung TV. The interface is a bit clunky but it seems to find files pretty much instantly. I tried the VTEN seconds later and it loops.

Also when I turned the VTEN on it went on, could see the normal menu on the TV and then VTEN turned off and cycled on and off about 4 times before staying on. (I could see the white light turn on and off and the TV would go black when it was off.) It this normal?

Hmm, something is weird here. I have two A400's and a Vten and none of them do what you are saying. I did set static IP addresses/reserves for all of them in my router and that might be the issue here. Try that and see how it works. My Xbox One's worked better this way too, not that it matters, but seems like devices using network abilities work better when they have a reserved IP address.

Edit: I am playing all three of the units right now at the same time with bluray uncompressed rips without issue. I too have gigabit network with two routers and two switches.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 01-13-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #625 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I would welcome it. Then maybe I could come close to filling up the 129TB I have with my three unRAID setups. And I still have over 25TB of hard drives ready to increase my unRAID capacity.

post #626 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Hmm, something is weird here. I have two A400's and a Vten and none of them do what you are saying. I did set static IP addresses/reserves for all of them in my router and that might be the issue here. Try that and see how it works. My Xbox One's worked better this way too, not that it matters, but seems like devices using network abilities work better when they have a reserved IP address.

Edit: I am playing all three of the units right now at the same time with bluray uncompressed rips without issue. I too have gigabit network with two routers and two switches.
Static or Dynamic, all my devices work just the same. The only reason I use any static IP addresses is for devices that I access regularly, so I can remember what the Ip address is. Like my unRAID setups. Otherwise, my Xboxes, PS4, media players, etc. have all worked just as well either way.

post #627 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Static or Dynamic, all my devices work just the same. The only reason I use any static IP addresses is for devices that I access regularly, so I can remember what the Ip address is. Like my unRAID setups. Otherwise, my Xboxes, PS4, media players, etc. have all worked just as well either way.
I had NAT issues with both of my Xbox One consuls until I set Static address on both. Did this with a friends Xbox one as well and it fixed the issue. It's not the same issue as the OP is having, but it might solve his problem.

I set static addresses for the same reason but I set them for everything so that my remote control doesn't have to be reconfigured all the time. I use IP or IP to IR commands to control everything in my house. And of course because of my server. By the way.....You have a lot of storage! I only have 24TB and it isn't even full. I just started in the middle of 2013 though.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #628 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would welcome it. Then maybe I could come close to filling up the 129TB I have with my three unRAID setups. And I still have over 25TB of hard drives ready to increase my unRAID capacity.
How are you guys with a VTEN finding HEVC x265 compression? Based on file sizes I've seen, if the quality is good this could be exactly what we need to rip UHD material in the future?!
post #629 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
How are you guys with a VTEN finding HEVC x265 compression? Based on file sizes I've seen, if the quality is good this could be exactly what we need to rip UHD material in the future?!

UHD material is already H265....the file sizes (~100GB) is already compressed

Sent from nowhere
post #630 of 1018 Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
UHD material is already H265....the file sizes (~100GB) is already compressed

Sent from nowhere
Wow! 100GB and it's already compressed! How large is it uncompressed?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page