NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3054Likes

post #4351 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 337
When i first turned on my Shield earlier today there was a message indicating to download the latest version, 6.1(24.32.406.402), and i wonder if other owners also got the message and installed this latest firmware version.

Or, has this version been available for sometime and Nvidia is taking its time offering it each time in blocks to a specific number of units ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
When i first turned on my Shield earlier today there was a message indicating to download the latest version, 6.1(24.32.406.402), and i wonder if other owners also got the message and installed this latest firmware version.

Or, has this version been available for sometime and Nvidia is taking its time offering it in blocks to a certain number of units each time ?
i got it this am as well. thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #4353 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
All:
I just got a Shield TV and have a quick question; When using Google Store Search function, I can't seem to find the "soft keyboard" to type in the app name, just the voice search. There is many foreign apps that you can't dictate the name, so I don' t know how to get to those apps.
Thanks,
BT
Move the cursor up to the voice search icon and then move it to the right to select text input.

Also, there is the Android TV app for Android (maybe for iOS?) that will let you type it on your phone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Move the cursor up to the voice search icon and then move it to the right to select text input.

Also, there is the Android TV app for Android (maybe for iOS?) that will let you type it on your phone.
Thank you! But how do you move the cursor? do you have to install a mouse? that is kind of stupid if one has to install a mouse or use another app from the phone to just be able to type!
post #4355 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Or, has this version been available for sometime and Nvidia is taking its time offering it each time in blocks to a specific number of units ?
new update -

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10...be-tv-support/

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4356 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! But how do you move the cursor? do you have to install a mouse? that is kind of stupid if one has to install a mouse or use another app from the phone to just be able to type!
Maybe cursor is the wrong word. Navigate with the controller option of your choice. Hit up until you are at the top then hit right once.

post #4357 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Maybe cursor is the wrong word. Navigate with the controller option of your choice. Hit up until you are at the top then hit right once.
thank you, I'll try that...but still very cumbersome! it should be like any other apps, highlight the input field to bring up the soft keyboard.
post #4358 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thank you, I'll try that...but still very cumbersome! it should be like any other apps, highlight the input field to bring up the soft keyboard.
That is exactly what it does. You just have the microphone selected. Once you move over to the search box the keyboard appears.

post #4359 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
All:
I just got a Shield TV and have a quick question; When using Google Store Search function, I can't seem to find the "soft keyboard" to type in the app name, just the voice search. There is many foreign apps that you can't dictate the name, so I don' t know how to get to those apps.
Thanks,
BT
Also just got it today

Jack
post #4360 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Yes a new update, unfortunately my Amazon app is still broken, briefly flashed "drm2 error" when opening the app, went to my video's, continue watching screen, as always, but tv shows and movies will still not open and play. Getting the same "unable to play at this time message" please try again later.

Thank god every other device with the Amazon app installed works fine, come on Nvidia fix the damn app!!!!!!
post #4361 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post
Yes a new update, unfortunately my Amazon app is still broken, briefly flashed "drm2 error" when opening the app, went to my video's, continue watching screen, as always, but tv shows and movies will still not open and play. Getting the same "unable to play at this time message" please try again later.

Thank god every other device with the Amazon app installed works fine, come on Nvidia fix the damn app!!!!!!
I dont have this issue. It may be worth trying a factory reset.
post #4362 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

i don;t have this issue either..
post #4363 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Not to mention, nvidia doesn't make the apps.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #4364 of 10612 Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Not to mention, nvidia doesn't make the apps.

All I know is starting with 6.0 and now 6.1 Amazon for me is broken, others have reported problems with Disneys Movies Everywhere, is there a way to uninstall the app from the Shield? It comes preloaded, so only option I see is to "disable", which I have done, along with full factory reset, etc.???????????
post #4365 of 10612 Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
Quote:

I've always had trouble with the Amazon app on the Shield since I got it. It will always play titles in stereo or not ramp up to 4k on 4k titles. I always have to either "force stop" or reboot the Shield before watching Amazon content. I've contacted both Amazon and Shield and they've never fixed it so I finally gave up.
harshakavuri likes this.

lujan
506 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #4366 of 10612 Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone been able to locate and download the new app for YouTube TV? I read that it was just released for Android TV, including the Shield. I've updated my Shield to firmware version 6.1, but cannot locate the YouTube TV app in the Google Play store. Any ideas? Thanks.

LG OLED B7P | Marantz AV7703 | Outlaw 7075 7-Channel Amp | Apple TV 4K | ACI Sapphires & Protege Fronts | RSL C34E Ceiling Speakers | SVS SB-13 Ultra Sub
post #4367 of 10612 Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post
Has anyone been able to locate and download the new app for YouTube TV? I read that it was just released for Android TV, including the Shield. I've updated my Shield to firmware version 6.1, but cannot locate the YouTube TV app in the Google Play store. Any ideas? Thanks.

I don’t think it’s been released yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4368 of 10612 Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Does anyone know whether there's a potential that the Shield will get a Dolby Vision upgrade, or is that for sure not happening? I haven't seen anything mentioned by NVIDIA one way or the other, and they've never promised it... but never denied it either, as far as I know. Dolby specifically mentioned the Shield as a device that would be able to get DV support, if NVIDIA chose to do so. Thanks.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #4369 of 10612 Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
Does anyone know whether there's a potential that the Shield will get a Dolby Vision upgrade, or is that for sure not happening? I haven't seen anything mentioned by NVIDIA one way or the other, and they've never promised it... but never denied it either, as far as I know. Dolby specifically mentioned the Shield as a device that would be able to get DV support, if NVIDIA chose to do so. Thanks.
Nvidia seems to go out of their way to avoid answering anything on this topic. I have asked Nvidia Support over on there forums a handful of things over the past two years that they answer pretty quickly; My questions about DV support have been ignored completely.

Before the 4k Apple TV I would have said there was likely no chance that Nvidia would add Dolby Vision due to the cost of the license; They wouldn't even pony up for Dolby Digital/Plus/TrueHD/Atmos licenses (it supports pass-through of all formats however). But with Apple getting in the game Nvidia has some major competition for the space (in my opinion) so they may add it to compete directly but who knows. They won't comment at all.

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple 4K, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One X
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
LG OLED 55C8PUA, Denon x4400h, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
post #4370 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have been searching this thread and I cannot find anything that gives me the answer I need to solve my problem.

I own a Vizio P55-C1 TV and I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield connected to my Denon AVR-S920W receiver

I cannot figure out the secret sauce of getting the correct color space set on my Shield for things to work correctly and things look right. Using the recommended Shield setting 3840x2160 59.940 Hz YUV 420 10-bit Rec.2020, the colors look washed out and bland compared to any other devices connected to this TV.

So I have been playing around with the color space settings, so if I switch to RGB 8-bit Rec.709, all the colors come to life and everything looks like it should. The problem I have discovered with this setting though, when I go to Amazon video and choose Bosch Season 2, the show doesn't show as being in HDR and when playing the episode it just shows in 2160p and no HDR. Also checked Netflix HDR content and that is not available in HDR format either with this setting.

So if I change the Nvidia Shield back to the recommended setting and go back to Amazon video, which all the colors looked washed out, but when I go to the same Bosch Season 2 episode HDR is available for that episode and when I launch the video HDR10 shows on the display and the colors come to life for the episode like they should. When I stop the video the colors in the Amazon menu are all bland again.

I was playing around with all the color space options and for the menus and non-HDR items the colors look correct for using Rec. 709 setting but HDR doesn't work on Netflix or Amazon. So I am not sure what the setting I should use so HDR works and non-HDR items don't look like someone sucked the color out of the picture.

I do also own a Roku Ultra and I don't see the issues and with that device and colors look correct and HDR content plays without issue. So I am not sure if Nvidia Shield TVs just have an issue with Vizio P Series TV's or I have something setup incorrectly.

I do have have another Nvidia Shield TV hooked to a TCL 32 inch Roku TV and using the recommended settings on that TV the colors look fine and correct, but I know I don't have HDR on that set.

I am just curious if anyone else has figured out the way to make this look good and HDR works also on Vizio P Series set? Thank you.
post #4371 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcfarla View Post
I have been searching this thread and I cannot find anything that gives me the answer I need to solve my problem.

I own a Vizio P55-C1 TV and I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield connected to my Denon AVR-S920W receiver

I cannot figure out the secret sauce of getting the correct color space set on my Shield for things to work correctly and things look right. Using the recommended Shield setting 3840x2160 59.940 Hz YUV 420 10-bit Rec.2020, the colors look washed out and bland compared to any other devices connected to this TV.

So I have been playing around with the color space settings, so if I switch to RGB 8-bit Rec.709, all the colors come to life and everything looks like it should. The problem I have discovered with this setting though, when I go to Amazon video and choose Bosch Season 2, the show doesn't show as being in HDR and when playing the episode it just shows in 2160p and no HDR. Also checked Netflix HDR content and that is not available in HDR format either with this setting.

So if I change the Nvidia Shield back to the recommended setting and go back to Amazon video, which all the colors looked washed out, but when I go to the same Bosch Season 2 episode HDR is available for that episode and when I launch the video HDR10 shows on the display and the colors come to life for the episode like they should. When I stop the video the colors in the Amazon menu are all bland again.

I was playing around with all the color space options and for the menus and non-HDR items the colors look correct for using Rec. 709 setting but HDR doesn't work on Netflix or Amazon. So I am not sure what the setting I should use so HDR works and non-HDR items don't look like someone sucked the color out of the picture.

I do also own a Roku Ultra and I don't see the issues and with that device and colors look correct and HDR content plays without issue. So I am not sure if Nvidia Shield TVs just have an issue with Vizio P Series TV's or I have something setup incorrectly.

I do have have another Nvidia Shield TV hooked to a TCL 32 inch Roku TV and using the recommended settings on that TV the colors look fine and correct, but I know I don't have HDR on that set.

I am just curious if anyone else has figured out the way to make this look good and HDR works also on Vizio P Series set? Thank you.
General consensus seems to be that the latest Vizio firmware has caused issues that you're describing. I have the P65-E1 with the latest firmware and it's washed out/dull for me as well. I had an M65-E1 and the shield looked great on that but it went back before the latest firmware update was pushed.

Edit: I believe that Rec.2020 is required for HDR.
amcfarla likes this.

Vizio P65-E1 | Denon X4400H | Nvidia Shield TV 2017 | Roku Ultra | AppleTV 4K | Chromecast Ultra| Sony UBP-X800 | Samsung BD-6500| PS4 Pro | Switch | Wii-U | SNES Classic | NES Classic| 1080ti Powered Gaming PC | 1060 Powered HTPC
post #4372 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
General consensus seems to be that the latest Vizio firmware has caused issues that you're describing. I have the P65-E1 with the latest firmware and it's washed out/dull for me as well. I had an M65-E1 and the shield looked great on that but it went back before the latest firmware update was pushed.

Edit: I believe that Rec.2020 is required for HDR.
Yeah it appears to get HDR working, it needs to be set to rec.2020 which screws with the colors. I am not sure if it is a TV or Nvidia Shield since my Roku Ultra on this TV looks fine with rec.2020.
post #4373 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Yeah it appears to get HDR working, it needs to be set to rec.2020 which screws with the colors. I am not sure if it is a TV or Nvidia Shield since my Roku Ultra on this TV looks fine with rec.2020.
Set the Shield to ycbcr 420 rec 2020
Set the TV to Bt2020, limited

See if this helps

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #4374 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Set the Shield to ycbcr 420 rec 2020
Set the TV to Bt2020, limited

See if this helps

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Just tested it, and nope it looks bland until I switch it back to rec.709.
post #4375 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Just tested it, and nope it looks bland until I switch it back to rec.709.
Vizio support has replied here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VizioTV/com...rashed_colors/
post #4376 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwgrms View Post
Cool, thanks for the info.
post #4377 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info.
Not much there but makes sense to throw a reply at support where they can see many users with the same problem.
post #4378 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwgrms View Post
Not much there but makes sense to throw a reply at support where they can see many users with the same problem.
At least it isn't just me having the issue which is good to know. I do have a workaround, just a pain if I want to watch HDR content.
post #4379 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 21
my shield keeps going to sleep while watching movies in SPMC.... anyone know how to keep this from happening?
post #4380 of 10612 Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Just tried using both Kodi and SPMC for first time after the 6.1 update and both no longer can see the contents of my NAS TV or Film directories. When trying to add a source I can browse as far as, for example, 'NFS://192.168.1.133/volume1/Films' but not actually into the Films directory.

I also have a Dune player which connects fine.

Any ideas?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page