NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3140Likes

post #5551 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
All this ATV talk, you'd think this were an ATV thread and not a Shield thread....
I'm right there with you. I was 3 pages behind and over half of what I just read had to do with ATV and Infuse. I don't give a crap about either one of those.
oldno7, beerhunt and Kirkobangz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Excellent point. Coming out of a Shield Experience update, all four of my 16 gig models are generally ready to go within seconds... as a rule of thumb I generally complete the update on my Pro version and walk away for at least 30 minutes. It needs a considerable amount of time to get it's $%#* together after an update... start trying to work with it too soon, and you'll swear the thing is completely hosed.
Thx for the Tip! I usually update and want to use it right away, maybe that is the issue. I'll try that and see what happens! Thx all for the help & suggestions, Bill!
post #5553 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8968 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
I'm wishing I had purchased an Nvidia Shield a long time ago. So far it has played everything I've thrown at it. It's the first device I've found that could play all the videos I've tried so far. But then I'm glad it does since it is very expensive.
I'll need to test it with some more content later this week. I got the Shield Tv and ATV 4K two days ago. So far I have been more enthused with the Shield.(I only purchased the ATV because it was $105. I would not have spent $180 on it since I am not entrenched in the Apple eco system)
TKNice likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5554 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm wishing I had purchased an Nvidia Shield a long time ago. So far it has played everything I've thrown at it. It's the first device I've found that could play all the videos I've tried so far. But then I'm glad it does since it is very expensive.
I'll need to test it with some more content later this week. I got the Shield Tv and ATV 4K two days ago. So far I have been more enthused with the Shield.(I only purchased the ATV because it was $105. I would not have spent $180 on it since I am not entrenched in the Apple eco system)
I've found that I use the Shield more than any other streaming device. I use it for all the apps (Netflix, Vudu, FandangoNow HD) except for Amazon because my system seems to have issues with this app. Amazon works fine if I reboot the Shield before using the app.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #5555 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I've never had any problems doing "airplay" from my Apple devices (my wife and I both have iPhones and I have an iPad) to my Android devices (Shield and FireTV). Their are plenty of apps that provide the Airplay connection on Android devices. It's simply not an issue.
I tried a rash of these several years back, and many just flat out didn't do any video. Then the one I chose stopped supporting video after iOS 9. Based on your comment video must be supported again. What receiver app do you use on Android TV?

Quote:
I got my shields shortly after they were released, and I wish they had been around years prior. The best deal on them IMO was the BF after they released. Amazon bundled the remote and controller for $150, and you could ebay the controller for roughly $35-$40 profit after fees. It feels like they're getting their money's worth right now from the X1 SoC and their GPUs, maybe the next big thing will be a price drop
post #5556 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I tried a rash of these several years back, and many just flat out didn't do any video. Then the one I chose stopped supporting video after iOS 9. Based on your comment video must be supported again. What receiver app do you use on Android TV?

I got my shields shortly after they were released, and I wish they had been around years prior. The best deal on them IMO was the BF after they released. Amazon bundled the remote and controller for $150, and you could ebay the controller for roughly $35-$40 profit after fees. It feels like they're getting their money's worth right now from the X1 SoC and their GPUs, maybe the next big thing will be a price drop
Airpin and airscreen both work well.

Mark
post #5557 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
For me the Shield is an great device. It is not quite perfect yet. Here is what is lacking for me:

- Lack of automatic colorspace switching between BT709 and BT2020 is a real drag in my setup -- these two colorspaces are calibrated and handled quite differently on my display setup and HD content show mapped to BT2020 on the shield does not look as good as HD passed through as BT709.
- Lack of Dolby Atmos in the Netflix app. I always use netflix on Xbox One X as a result.
- Dolby Vision support would be nice, but isn't critical in my setup.
- Lack of Chrome browser as an app

It has continued to be improved since I got it more than a year ago, hopefully some of these last issues will be addressed soon as well.
post #5558 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
For me the Shield is an great device. It is not quite perfect yet. Here is what is lacking for me:

- Lack of automatic colorspace switching between BT709 and BT2020 is a real drag in my setup -- these two colorspaces are calibrated and handled quite differently on my display setup and HD content show mapped to BT2020 on the shield does not look as good as HD passed through as BT709. Maybe on some displays but my display and my calibration software disagree. The Dynamic range is automatic.
- Lack of Dolby Atmos in the Netflix app. I always use netflix on Xbox One X as a result. Atmos would be nice but AVR can upconvert Atmos very nicely.
- Dolby Vision support would be nice, but isn't critical in my setup. I wish! Why does APPLE TV get all the fun!?!
- Lack of Chrome browser as an app Odd that there wouldn't be one. Maybe they don't have an Android TV version?

It has continued to be improved since I got it more than a year ago, hopefully some of these last issues will be addressed soon as well.

See red text.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5559 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
I tried Amazon with both last night. I get 5.1 DD+ from the Shield with the Amazon app. And every video I tried started at Ultra HD for UHD content and HD1080P for HD content. So there was no ramping up with the resolution since it always started at the highest available.

With the ATV of course I got 5.1 pcm audio. But, like the ROku, it doesn't show the quality of the encode being played. But from the looks of it, the Amazon app on the ATV also started playing at UltraHD for UHD contnet and HD1080P for HD content.

Both streamers seemed rock solid with everything I streamed from their apps for UHD and HD content. Without the quality dropping down at any time.

The one thing I do not like about the ATV is the remote. I setup the Shield first, and did not like that remote either, until I went to setup the ATV and had to use that remote. Both remotes are small, but at least the Shield remote is curved on the underside, so it feels more comfortable in the hand. The ATV remote makes my hand ache. It reminds me of the small remote that came with the Sony UHD media player I used to own. I hated that remote too.
There's a multitude of remote cases for the ATV remote on Amazon.. There are none available for the shield remote. First thing I bought when I got the ATV. Remote is now comfortable and fits my hand nicely. This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gerry
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #5560 of 10855 Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Setting to get 5.1?

I've been trying to get 5.1 and am coming up short...only Pro Logic.
I've done this:
1. Connect the Shield directly to the TV via HDMI.
2. The Shield will auto-detect recommended settings for resolution and color space from your TV.
3. Connect the TV to the receiver via optical.
4. Change the digital audio output setting on the TV to whatever sounds the best (bitstream?). ***Haven't found an option for this on the TV.***
5. The TV will pass-through the audio from the Shield and Oppo to your receiver.
6. Select the optical input for the receiver and select the source HDMI input (Oppo or Shield) for the TV

The Shield has has setting on:
1. 5.1 speakers
2. Audio passthrough
3. DD and DTS checked

What am I missing in settings or am I stuck with Pro Logic considering my equipment?
Thank you.

Panasonic TC-P55GT50, Yamaha 2095, Oppo BDP-103, Yamaha CDC765, Paradigm speakers: 9SEs, CC350, & Titan V2s.
post #5561 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughski68 View Post
I've been trying to get 5.1 and am coming up short...only Pro Logic.
I've done this:
1. Connect the Shield directly to the TV via HDMI.
2. The Shield will auto-detect recommended settings for resolution and color space from your TV.
3. Connect the TV to the receiver via optical.
4. Change the digital audio output setting on the TV to whatever sounds the best (bitstream?). ***Haven't found an option for this on the TV.***
5. The TV will pass-through the audio from the Shield and Oppo to your receiver.
6. Select the optical input for the receiver and select the source HDMI input (Oppo or Shield) for the TV

The Shield has has setting on:
1. 5.1 speakers
2. Audio passthrough
3. DD and DTS checked

What am I missing in settings or am I stuck with Pro Logic considering my equipment?
Thank you.
What app are you using,Kodi, Plex?

For your Oppo, make sure you have Passthrough as your option for Optical.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #5562 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- Lack of automatic colorspace switching between BT709 and BT2020 is a real drag in my setup -- these two colorspaces are calibrated and handled quite differently on my display setup and HD content show mapped to BT2020 on the shield does not look as good as HD passed through as BT709.
- Lack of Dolby Atmos in the Netflix app. I always use netflix on Xbox One X as a result.

Why do you have to pee in his Wheaties and rehash the same old stuff when all he's doing is saying how much he likes it?

Switching is coming in Oreo most likely. Some leaks are already appearing.
Lack of Atmos in Netflix is a Netflix problem, not a Shield problem. Shield supports Atmos.
Chrome Browser is available as an app, so go install it and there's one complaint resolved. Although I will never understand why anyone wants to browse on it, it's much easier to cast from a laptop, tablet, or phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.chrome
groove93 and seggers like this.
post #5563 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those complaining about lack of Atmos for certain apps, why not look into your receiver's fully capable DSU and DTS Neural X capabilities. There are a bunch of Titles that i now watch as a result of my Receiver's Dolby Surround Upmix and DTS Neural X options coming from my Receiver. Rogue One and even the older Lord or the Rings Trilogy are perfect examples, where these upmixes raised the bar for sound quality in my set up.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5564 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
What app are you using,Kodi, Plex?

For your Oppo, make sure you have Passthrough as your option for Optical.
I'm using Kodi with No Limits Magic build.

The Oppo works fine when playing a disc (DD/DTS). Are you saying when using the NS, the audio should go through the Oppo? As of now the TV has an optical going to the back of the receiver and the Oppo isn't being used. NV and TV are HDMI connected.

Panasonic TC-P55GT50, Yamaha 2095, Oppo BDP-103, Yamaha CDC765, Paradigm speakers: 9SEs, CC350, & Titan V2s.
post #5565 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using Kodi with No Limits Magic build.

The Oppo works fine when playing a disc (DD/DTS). Are you saying when using the NS, the audio should go through the Oppo? As of now the TV has an optical going to the back of the receiver and the Oppo isn't being used. NV and TV are HDMI connected.

You can connect your Shield to the Oppo's HDMI Input. Then connect your Oppo to your receiver using the HDMI (Main) connection. Or you can separate the Audio and Video signals by Connecting the Shield to the HDMI Input, then connecting the HDMI (Audio Only) connection to your Receiver, and the HDMI Out (next to the Ethernet Port) to your TV.

Using optical, you will not get Dolby TrueHD/Atmos or DTS-MA/DTS-X. Those audio options only work via HDMI.

Within Kodi, under Settings, make sure you have this set to "Expert". From there make sure "Enable Passthrough" is enabled. In addition to this settings, be sure that all of the Audio Formats are enabled as you go further down the list. Again, for the Lossless Audio formats to work, you will need to have the audio output using an HDMI Cable to your receiver.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5566 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You can connect your Shield to the Oppo's HDMI Input. Then connect your Oppo to your receiver using the HDMI (Main) connection. Or you can separate the Audio and Video signals by Connecting the Shield to the HDMI Input, then connecting the HDMI (Audio Only) connection to your Receiver, and the HDMI Out (next to the Ethernet Port) to your TV.

Using optical, you will not get Dolby TrueHD/Atmos or DTS-MA/DTS-X. Those audio options only work via HDMI.

Within Kodi, under Settings, make sure you have this set to "Expert". From there make sure "Enable Passthrough" is enabled. In addition to this settings, be sure that all of the Audio Formats are enabled as you go further down the list. Again, for the Lossless Audio formats to work, you will need to have the audio output using an HDMI Cable to your receiver.
My receiver is an old Yamaha 2095, no HDMI. Pass-through is enabled as are DD & DTS in Kodi.

post #5567 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My receiver is an old Yamaha 2095, no HDMI. Pass-through is enabled as are DD & DTS in Kodi.
You mentioned in your Initial post "bitstream" as an option on your TV, have you tried this option?

Or is there an "Auto" function in your display's Audio Menu?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5568 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You mentioned in your Initial post "bitstream" as an option on your TV, have you tried this option?
Haven't seen an option for this. It was suggested in a previous post to do this, but haven't seen this.

post #5569 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haven't seen an option for this. It was suggested in a previous post to do this, but haven't seen this.
What's the Model of your TV?

I had an older Model TV from 2008 connected to a Shield prior to upgrading to 4K, but I also had an HDMI capable receiver. For OTA broadcasts, the TV was able to pass Dolby Digital audio to the receiver. So considering the age of the TV, you still may have the opportunity to get beyond Pro Logic.

One thing that comes to mind now is ARC. Is this an option on your Television?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5570 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
What's the Model of your TV?

I had an older Model TV from 2008 connected to a Shield prior to upgrading to 4K, but I also had an HDMI capable receiver. For OTA broadcasts, the TV was able to pass Dolby Digital audio to the receiver. So considering the age of the TV, you still may have the opportunity to get beyond Pro Logic.

One thing that comes to mind now is ARC. Is this an option on your Television?
Listed in my sig: Panasonic TC-P55GT50, Yamaha 2095, Oppo BDP-103, Yamaha CDC765, Paradigm speakers: 9SEs, CC350, & Titan V2s.

OTA TV does come through with DD. ARC HDMI on TV is currently connected to the Oppo. Oppo is connected to receiver by optical.

post #5571 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Listed in my sig: Panasonic TC-P55GT50, Yamaha 2095, Oppo BDP-103, Yamaha CDC765, Paradigm speakers: 9SEs, CC350, & Titan V2s.

OTA TV does come through with DD. ARC HDMI on TV is currently connected to the Oppo. Oppo is connected to receiver by optical.
Is the OTA Signal coming from the TV or are you using the Shield to watch OTA Television?

If you stream from Apps like Netflix or Amazon Instant on your Shield, for titles with 5.1 Audio, does it still come out as Pro Logic on your receiver?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5572 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Is the OTA Signal coming from the TV or are you using the Shield to watch OTA Television?

If you stream from Apps like Netflix or Amazon Instant on your Shield, for titles with 5.1 Audio, does it still come out as Pro Logic on your receiver?
OTA is from roof antenna.

I don't have Netflix or Amazon.

post #5573 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OTA is from roof antenna.

I don't have Netflix or Amazon.
I'm getting the 203 and 103 mixed up so my Apologies.

I'm more familiar with the Oppo 203 than 103 but I'm wondering if connecting your Shield to the HDMI In of the 103 and allowing the audio signal from the Shield to Passthrough the 103.

You have the 103 already connected with the capability to output DD/DTS to your receiver. There should be an HDMI Passthrough option within the 103 Menu Settings to allow these signals to passthrough from the Shield.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5574 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'm getting the 203 and 103 mixed up so my Apologies.

I'm more familiar with the Oppo 203 than 103 but I'm wondering if connecting your Shield to the HDMI In of the 103 and allowing the audio signal from the Shield to Passthrough the 103.

You have the 103 already connected with the capability to output DD/DTS to your receiver. There should be an HDMI Passthrough option within the 103 Menu Settings to allow these signals to passthrough from the Shield.
No worries! I appreciate your help.

I'll try the 103 pass-through sometime (thought about this option a while back, too, lol). I know it worked with the cable box I had so it "should".

Thanks again!
groove93 likes this.

post #5575 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8968 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
Quote:

In my testing so far, the color space changed correctly between BT2020 and BT709 with my Shield TV.

Atmos from Netflix? Only the Xbox and LG TVs get Atmos from Netflix right now. I would think that it is Netflix that is preventing it from being on other devices.

I don't have a DV TV, so right now I'm not worried about it.

And I also have no desire to use a browser from the Shield TV.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-23-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #5576 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Why do you have to pee in his Wheaties and rehash the same old stuff when all he's doing is saying how much he likes it?
Not trying to downplay his comment at all! I really love the Shield TV, its the best all-around streamer I have. Was just sharing my wishlist of remaining improvements, all of which are minor really (and likely not to effect others in the same way the effect me...

Quote:
In my testing so far, the color space changed correctly between BT2020 and BT709 with my Shield TV.
Yes, this issue is likely unique to my setup - I have a projector, and when showing HDR/BT2020 content it (internally) slides a color filter into place to be able to expand the colors it can display, and for regular HD/BT709 stuff it uses a different color mode without the filter. So in my setup, I would benefit from the colorspace matching the content, but for the common case it probably doesn't matter.

I know the Netflix Atmos limitation is a Netflix app problem. I just wish Netflix would fix it, as the device does great with Atmos when bitstreaming from Plex/Kodi/SPMC (something almost no other streamer can say), and when streaming from Vudu. It is true that Dolby Surround processing does a good job "Atmos-izing" 5.1 soundtracks, so again, a minor issue.

Sorry if my post came off as negative -- that wasn't my intent. The Shield TV is great, and I'm looking forward to Nvidia continuing to update and improve it even more.
beerhunt likes this.
post #5577 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry if my post came off as negative -- that wasn't my intent. The Shield TV is great, and I'm looking forward to Nvidia continuing to update and improve it even more.
Hey sorry about one thing, I meant to put a at the end of the post. I was having some Friday morning fun.

Did you get Chrome installed?
post #5578 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:

Atmos from Netflix? Only the Xbox and LG TVs get Atmos from Netflix right now. I would think that it is Netflix that is preventing it from being on other devices.

I don't have a DV TV, so right now I'm not worried about it.

And I also have no desire to use a browser from the Shield TV.

Windows 10 Netflix app has atmos too.
aaronwt likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #5579 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:

Totally agree. By far and away #1 on my wishlist. The only real *thing* that I need in order to be as happy, in 4k HDR space, with an nvidia shield, as I am/was in 1080p SDR space.

Quote:

I'm personally not an "Atmos guy", so that's pretty much "n/a" for me. I can't/won't hang dedicated speakers from my ceiling, and am a little skeptical/reluctant to "slap" 1st reflections off it from below.

Totally agree about DV. "Would be nice, but is not critical in my setup".

Chrome browser is a non-issue for me... I usually have a phone or tablet within arms reach when I'm on the couch using my Shield... and although I have a dedicated Logitech K400 plugged in and ready to use, it's tucked away, only to come out when needed...

Quote:

Can't agree more with this. NVidia has done a real nice job over the lifecycle of this (2015) tech...
post #5580 of 10855 Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
THE thing that doesn't get much mention in this thread (because it's mostly not the focus/priority of this forum) is its gaming capabilities. If you fall into either of the following categories:

1) A "hardcore" PC gamer with a higher end NVidia GTX graphics card installed in a PC somewhere on your intranet
2) A "former hardcore" console gamer (PS3/Xbox 360/etc, both of which are now paperweights for me), who simply can't dedicate the time to justify the cost of an Xbox One/PS4 these days, but still will game a little (an hour or so a week), can reap a lot of benefit from buying a great "streamer" like this that has the kind of gaming capabilities this thing has.

It hits a real nice sweet spot for me, personally, falling into that #2 category. I bought it purely as a streamer. As a "gaming console" I have no doubt its inferior to a PS4/Xbox One. But $8 a month for a GeForce Now subscription, and essentially $0 in hardware costs (purchased purely for its streaming capabilities) is a great price-per-usage for someone like me. It hits a real sweet spot of being a better media streamer than any of the other "gaming consoles", and being a better "gaming console" than any of the other "streaming media players".

They get a ton of use in my house, for all sorts of reasons.
beerhunt and vn800art like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page