NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3131Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5731 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
jwhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
I think it depends. Certainly in Netflix shows like How I met your mother, which is clearly BT709 content, I get correct look to the picture is I manually select 4k BT2020 or 1080 BT709. Ruining it through the oppo it is certainly not auto switching the 4k BT2020 to BT709. But it looks correct. In fact, if I manually select BT709 it goes wrong and people start getting purple lips and the primaries all look wiping.

But then if I watch SDR YouTube content in BT2020 the opposite is true.



I suspect there's something in the Netflix 4k streams that has been renamed at source.



I just wish they did Netflix 4k HDR @23.976/24p and is frankly ridiculous that we have to watch a stuttering picture to watch 4k content in 59.940 or enable motion processing on the tv to detect the 23.976 in 59.940 signal.

If you select 4k 23.975 you get the 1080 SDR stream and the shield upscaled to 4k. No one has said yet however if other non shield boxes actually prove there is even 23.976/24 streams available in 4k HDR or whether it's a problem with Netflix unique to the shield. (Just lots of people saying it used to work in 2 year old firmware, but no mention of HDR)


The Apple TV will stream 4K HDR at 24hz on Netflix. It sends it as Dolby Vision that then plays as HDR if the display cannot do Dolby Vision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwhn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5732 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caccamo View Post
Hi, i'm new whit nvidia shield. I hav an HUGe problem. I use it just for play my 1080P libraries (Plex direct play) and Netflix and Amazon content. So when i play some content i have ALWAYSE a bottom green line on my TV. i found some post about it. There is a fix for that?
With this bug for me it can't be used :\
I believe that's a Plex issue, try using Kodi.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
taz291819 is offline  
post #5733 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,412
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8962 Post(s)
Liked: 5740
I have not run into any problems from PLEX with my 1080P content. It looks normal in my setup with Direct Play from Plex.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5734 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
cuibap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I believe that's a Plex issue, try using Kodi.
It's not a Plex issue. Don't try to advertise free for Kodi

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-X940E; Yamaha RX-A1060; Nvidia Shield TV; OPPO BDP-93; Yamaha RX-A1070
cuibap is offline  
post #5735 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Yes I know. If you set the Shield to Rec709 you will not get HDR from either. If you set it to 1080p rec709 Netflix will upscale to 4k SDR and Amazon will not. If you set it to 1080p rec2020 Netflix will play 4k HDR Amazon will play 1080p SDR.
The behavior will also depend on the display. I have a projector. Netflix does not upscale anything. And 4K HDR from Netflix is not an option at all because the projector only has a 10.2G chipset. The projector itself will upscale. Very often people are confused about exactly where in the chain the upscaling is happening. To verify what Netflix is sending you need to hook up a keyboard and hit F4 or F8 (can't remember which). This will show you what is actually being sent by Netflix. I highly doubt it is upscaling but am open to be proven wrong. But not sure any of that is relevant to the original question.

I think the most important thing that the OP needs to understand is that Rec.709 is for SDR and Rec.2020 is for HDR. And that in general, the Shield will not automatically change color spaces if you are just using the standard Netflix and Amazon apps.
I get that SDR is 709 and HDR is 2020, but since most material is still SDR, most people jump back and forth between SDR and HDR constantly. It doesn?t make sense to have to go into the Shield?s settings and switch the HDMI output (which requires several button pushes) between every show or game.
ed3120 is offline  
post #5736 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I get that SDR is 709 and HDR is 2020, but since most material is still SDR, most people jump back and forth between SDR and HDR constantly. It doesn?t make sense to have to go into the Shield?s settings and switch the HDMI output (which requires several button pushes) between every show or game.
Yea it is a pain which is wh I am so lucky that my TV works with it to eliminated my need to do this. Having said that, this apparently an Android TV limitation, but Sony does it with their own built in Android TV and FireTV does? Along with that, why can't Nvidia make a quick remote short cut ket that you could use to manually switch it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5737 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
jwhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I get that SDR is 709 and HDR is 2020, but since most material is still SDR, most people jump back and forth between SDR and HDR constantly. It doesn?t make sense to have to go into the Shield?s settings and switch the HDMI output (which requires several button pushes) between every show or game.
Yes, hopefully that will get resolved at some point. I have my remote programmed so I can change them back and forth with a single button push. Since I have separate SDR and HDR calibrations I prefer to switch the settings. And for perspective, when I was a kid our TV didn't have a remote. So it took several steps (not button pushes) to change shows.
jwhn is offline  
post #5738 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Yes, hopefully that will get resolved at some point. I have my remote programmed so I can change them back and forth with a single button push. Since I have separate SDR and HDR calibrations I prefer to switch the settings. And for perspective, when I was a kid our TV didn't have a remote. So it took several steps (not button pushes) to change shows.
How did you program that? Button sequences on the Shield?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5739 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
jwhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
How did you program that? Button sequences on the Shield?
I have a Harmony remote and just programmed it with the button sequences, including the required waiting steps. It also changes my display settings so its one long sequence across the shield and the display. A bit tedious to set it up but it works well.
shoman94 likes this.
jwhn is offline  
post #5740 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I get that SDR is 709 and HDR is 2020, but since most material is still SDR, most people jump back and forth between SDR and HDR constantly. It doesn?t make sense to have to go into the Shield?s settings and switch the HDMI output (which requires several button pushes) between every show or game.
Yea it is a pain which is wh I am so lucky that my TV works with it to eliminated my need to do this. Having said that, this apparently an Android TV limitation, but Sony does it with their own built in Android TV and FireTV does? Along with that, why can't Nvidia make a quick remote short cut ket that you could use to manually switch it?
How does your TV deal with it if it?s a Shield issue?
ed3120 is offline  
post #5741 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
How does your TV deal with it if it?s a Shield issue?
I don't know, I know they worked closely with Nvidia to get things working properly.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5742 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post
It's not a Plex issue. Don't try to advertise free for Kodi

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'm not advertising anything. From what I read on the nvidia forums, it's people using Plex that have that issue. I've never had that issue with Kodi. Heck, try SMPC as well, don't care.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
taz291819 is offline  
post #5743 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,071
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I'm not advertising anything. From what I read on the nvidia forums, it's people using Plex that have that issue. I've never had that issue with Kodi. Heck, try SMPC as well, don't care.


I use plex and it doesn’t do that on either my B7 OLED or JS9000

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #5744 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I use plex and it doesn’t do that on either my B7 OLED or JS9000
Yeah, it's weird.

I've had the purple line with my Vizio, but it's only happened when watching from a Directv STB, and changing the channel and switching back fixes it every time it happens. Dunno.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
taz291819 is offline  
post #5745 of 10826 Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
kemetblk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caccamo View Post
Hi, i'm new whit nvidia shield. I hav an HUGe problem. I use it just for play my 1080P libraries (Plex direct play) and Netflix and Amazon content. So when i play some content i have ALWAYSE a bottom green line on my TV. i found some post about it. There is a fix for that?
With this bug for me it can't be used :\
That sounds like content not in the full aspect ratio or that has embedded data like closed captioning in it. Some TV's that are set to display all lines of resolution without overscanning (1:1, dot by dot, etc.) will sometimes have a green line or a black/white line show up at the top or bottom of the screen. The easiest way to fix it quickly is to allow overscanning. Sucks to lose a few lines of resolution, but it works well enough.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk

AVR: Denon X3300w
F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3 / Sub: SVS PB12-NSD (x2)
Sony XBR-75X940E, Toshiba HD-A30, Nvidia Shield TV (2015), Xbox One S, PS3
PC: Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB ssd + 4TB hdd, GTX 970 SSC
kemetblk is offline  
post #5746 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 AM
Newbie
 
Caccamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I believe that's a Plex issue, try using Kodi.


No it’s not a Plex issue. I have ti with all HD content (Netflix, Amazon, Plex, etc.)
Caccamo is offline  
post #5747 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 08:10 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,412
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8962 Post(s)
Liked: 5740
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield. My power had been out for 32 hours so I had no recordings from friday.
And I did see where the SHield was sending BT2020. But when I compared it to other devices sending REC709 the colors looked majorly off. So if I switched my SOny TV from BT2020 to rec709, there was a major difference in the color. And the same went for other streamers if I changed it from rec709 to BT 2020. Although the change with those was even more drastic.

So is the Shield doing something to send things out properly in BT2020?

And on another note I also watched the Friday episode of Agents of SHIELD from AMAzon last night. I tried to watch it from the Shield, but for some reason the A/V was not in sync. It was fine with Vudu. And my other devices are also in sync for it with Amazon. Without having to use a manual adjustment. So is there an A/V sync issue that is known with Amazon?

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #5748 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
jwhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield. My power had been out for 32 hours so I had no recordings from friday.
And I did see where the SHield was sending BT2020. But when I compared it to other devices sending REC709 the colors looked majorly off. So if I switched my SOny TV from BT2020 to rec709, there was a major difference in the color. And the same went for other streamers if I changed it from rec709 to BT 2020. Although the change with those was even more drastic.

So is the Shield doing something to send things out properly in BT2020?

And on another note I also watched the Friday episode of Agents of SHIELD from AMAzon last night. I tried to watch it from the Shield, but for some reason the A/V was not in sync. It was fine with Vudu. And my other devices are also in sync for it with Amazon. Without having to use a manual adjustment. So is there an A/V sync issue that is known with Amazon?
If what you were watching was SDR content then BT2020 will look wrong. I know there are some posts here that say their colors look fine when they use BT2020 with SDR, but in those cases the right conversions are being made. By definition, BT2020 is not intended to be used with SDR content and is intended for HDR. For SDR use Rec709.

Last edited by jwhn; 03-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
jwhn is offline  
post #5749 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And on another note I also watched the Friday episode of Agents of SHIELD from AMAzon last night. I tried to watch it from the Shield, but for some reason the A/V was not in sync. It was fine with Vudu. And my other devices are also in sync for it with Amazon. Without having to use a manual adjustment. So is there an A/V sync issue that is known with Amazon?
Yes. I've had A/V sync issues with the Amazon app on both of my Shields that are hooked up to AVRs for about as long as the Amazon app has been available natively for Shield.

However, just recently, I've started having A/V sync issues when the following criteria is met:
1) Using Plex
2) to bitstream lossless (TrueHD/HD-MA) content.

I don't have an A/V sync issue when using Plex to bitstream dolby digital.
And I don't have A/V sync issues when using Kodi to bitstream TrueHD/HD-MA.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but as we generally prefer Plex in my house (mostly for the watched start / start-resume syncing) I'm eager to find a solution.


Edit/update while the timing of this firmware update oddly coincides with my Plex A/V sync erros, on a VERY positive note, I think there's a pretty good chance that this firmware update just *fixed* my SDR-->HDR colorspace conversion issues with my Shield... would be interested to hear if @groove93 has noticed any benefit as well.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Firmware.aspx

I'll play around with it more tonight, but I think I might be done manually flipping back and forth from SDR to HDR... at first glance I think this is right. "Pleased" would be an understatement on how I feel about this...
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by psuKinger; 03-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
psuKinger is offline  
post #5750 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Yes. I've had A/V sync issues with the Amazon app on both of my Shields that are hooked up to AVRs for about as long as the Amazon app has been available natively for Shield.

However, just recently, I've started having A/V sync issues when the following criteria is met:
1) Using Plex
2) to bitstream lossless (TrueHD/HD-MA) content.

I don't have an A/V sync issue when using Plex to bitstream dolby digital.
And I don't have A/V sync issues when using Kodi to bitstream TrueHD/HD-MA.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but as we generally prefer Plex in my house (mostly for the watched start / start-resume syncing) I'm eager to find a solution.


Edit/update while the timing of this firmware update oddly coincides with my Plex A/V sync erros, on a VERY positive note, I think there's a pretty good chance that this firmware update just *fixed* my SDR-->HDR colorspace conversion issues with my Shield... would be interested to hear if @groove93 has noticed any benefit as well.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Firmware.aspx

I'll play around with it more tonight, but I think I might be done manually flipping back and forth from SDR to HDR... at first glance I think this is right. "Pleased" would be an understatement on how I feel about this...


I think I might have an issue with the latest update for SPMC. I updated my Oppo friday night and everything worked fine. I updated SPMC on my Shield yesterday, and everything worked fine until this afternoon. My TV has been rebooting when I attempt to play a video via SPMC. HDR doesn't engage when it's supposed to, and the display stays at 60p rather than changing to 24p when I stream a movie. When I finally get HDR and 24p to engage, my TV goes black, and eventually the TV reboots itself.

I thought it may have been the Oppo update, but everything is pointing towards SPMC as I haven't had these issues using Plex. I'm going to attempt to uninstall the updates to SPMC to see how things go.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is online now  
post #5751 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
@psuKinger i read your responses in the Oppo 203 thread regarding the blank screen, and having to cycle your display to turn back on.

That is the exact issue I'm currently having. It appears that SPMC was not the issue, and everything now is pointing towards the Oppo. I performed a factory reset of the Oppo, but that did not fix the problem. Any of the UHD Rips I play via the Shield, the TV quits. I can play Blu Ray and DVD Rips, and they play just fine. Playing those same videos using the Oppo alone will all play fine.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is online now  
post #5752 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
@psuKinger i read your responses in the Oppo 203 thread regarding the blank screen, and having to cycle your display to turn back on.

That is the exact issue I'm currently having. It appears that SPMC was not the issue, and everything now is pointing towards the Oppo. I performed a factory reset of the Oppo, but that did not fix the problem. Any of the UHD Rips I play via the Shield, the TV quits. I can play Blu Ray and DVD Rips, and they play just fine. Playing those same videos using the Oppo alone will all play fine.
Yep I agree with your assessment, and thanks for responding. The new firmware update is definitely causing some glitchy behaviour, which is a little frustrating (but ultimately fixable, I'd think).

As long as this is temporary, and Oppo tweaks this, if this ultimate fixes my "color space switching" problems with Shield, this will have been a tremendous update, for me at least...
psuKinger is offline  
post #5753 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
It's definitely an Oppo issue. I removed the separate audio connection going into my receiver. I now have both audio and video playing through one HDMI cable, which goes from the Oppo to the receiver.

My 4k rips via Kodi now play fine on the Shield. Going to reinstall SPMC with the latest version.

I will address this with Oppo tech support.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is online now  
post #5754 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 02:52 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,412
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8962 Post(s)
Liked: 5740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
If what you were watching was SDR content then BT2020 will look wrong. I know there are some posts here that say their colors look fine when they use BT2020 with SDR, but in those cases the right conversions are being made. By definition, BT2020 is not intended to be used with SDR content and is intended for HDR. For SDR use Rec709.
Yes I know it should look wrong. But it didn't. It looked identical to the other devices outputting rec709. Thats why I was wondering what the shield was doing.
But I guess since it looked correct, the right conversion is taking place. But my Sony TV was definitely receiving BT2020 from the Shield when I made the comparisons.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #5755 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes I know it should look wrong. But it didn't. It looked identical to the other devices outputting rec709. Thats why I was wondering what the shield was doing.
But I guess since it looked correct, the right conversion is taking place. But my Sony TV was definitely receiving BT2020 from the Shield when I made the comparisons.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
I get the same... If I remember correctly I think there are some blurays that are mastered in SDR bt2020 also.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5756 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Nvidia newbie here...I've been searching for an answer to this, but I cannot find one newer than 2015. I just hooked up my Nvidia Shield and am having no luck in getting it to recognize my WD passport HD thru the USB port..not even sure what app plays these files.
Spanner007 is offline  
post #5757 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,071
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner007 View Post
Nvidia newbie here...I've been searching for an answer to this, but I cannot find one newer than 2015. I just hooked up my Nvidia Shield and am having no luck in getting it to recognize my WD passport HD thru the USB port..not even sure what app plays these files.
How is it formatted?

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #5758 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Ntfs
Spanner007 is offline  
post #5759 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield.
What FW version is your Shield on?

As I've mentioned previously, the Vudu app on Shield is putting out video levels that are low, manifesting as darker video. This on the current 6.3 FW, with current Vudu app.

I'm curious if you have the same issue - I didn't know I had it until I compared Vudu output from my Roku Ultra (which I don't use for other reasons / issues), and Sony x700/x800 units (stutter at 24p output...)

I think it is a recent issue - I had been holding at FW 5.2 on the Shield, and just within the last week updated, holding my breath. Fortunately, 6.3 fixes the video stutter that was there in the older FW, and doesn't require kludges or fixes to sidestep, but the Vudu app - the one I really need - has got issues now.

It is independent of HDMI mode - Vudu video level is low no matter which settings you choose for HDMI, whereas if you play the same movie from Google Play, or Amazon (on the Shield) it isn't dark.

Interestingly, if I "Cast" to the Shield via the Vudu app on my phone, the video levels are correct - no changes to Shield HDMI output etc... But play same movie again through the App, and its back to darker.

I prefer Vudu for the extended surround on some titles, and Atmos on the UHD titles.

AFAIK, Vudu is unique in this.
Iamjcl is offline  
post #5760 of 10826 Old 03-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner007 View Post
Nvidia newbie here...I've been searching for an answer to this, but I cannot find one newer than 2015. I just hooked up my Nvidia Shield and am having no luck in getting it to recognize my WD passport HD thru the USB port..not even sure what app plays these files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
How is it formatted?
It turned out that it was the USB cord, of all things.
Spanner007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off