NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2930Likes

post #7471 of 10394 Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8839 Post(s)
Liked: 5628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Interesting. I redeemed both UV codes from the 4K disks via Vudu and they dont offer me the 4K streaming option. I emailed them at one point and they responded that they didn't have the rights to offer the 4K streaming option for disk buyers, only for people who bought the digital 4K version from them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Maybe something changed for newer redemptions?

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 10394 Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Did a full reset, back in business, took all day to bring it back to where it was.
This is the main reason I'm still on 6.x. What all do you lose with the full reset? I suspect I'll also lose all of my saved games. I really don't want to do a full reset just to have the Shield run normally. It's currently working in 6.x, and I don't really want to spend a whole day getting it back where it already is with 6.x. Why should a full reset be necessary? I get waiting for cleanup to finish after the upgrade, but a full reset is just too painful.
aaronwt likes this.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
post #7473 of 10394 Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Ever since Shield V7 MrMC has been flakey. I stream from my NAS and not regardless of what movie I pick it buffers and stays at 0, I back out of that movie then relaunch it and it is fine. I have both my Shields doing this. I regret going to 7.
mborland likes this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Yes, I have quite a few movies that I own the 4K disc of that will stream in UHD(via Ultraviolet) from Vudu. But there are also some that I own the 4K disc of (John Wick 1 and 2 comes to mind) but Vudu doesn't offer the UHD version for streaming because they dont have an agreement to allow it(I emailed them about it).

Whoever responded is talking nonsense. Like @aaronwt , I too have both titles available to stream on VUDU in UHD/HDR quality, with Atmos audio, from a code redemption. Time to challenge them again. John Wick 2 had been available for sometime, but I think John Wick only became available in UHD on VUDU fairly recently.
post #7475 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
Quote:
Did a full reset, back in business, took all day to bring it back to where it was.
This is the main reason I'm still on 6.x. What all do you lose with the full reset? I suspect I'll also lose all of my saved games. I really don't want to do a full reset just to have the Shield run normally. It's currently working in 6.x, and I don't really want to spend a whole day getting it back where it already is with 6.x. Why should a full reset be necessary? I get waiting for cleanup to finish after the upgrade, but a full reset is just too painful.
The Full fac reset, brings it back to the beginning, total restart

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #7476 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Whoever responded is talking nonsense. Like @aaronwt , I too have both titles available to stream on VUDU in UHD/HDR quality, with Atmos audio, from a code redemption. Time to challenge them again. John Wick 2 had been available for sometime, but I think John Wick only became available in UHD on VUDU fairly recently.
I redeemed my codes directly through Vudu's Redeem Code option. Perhaps that is part of the issue. Idunno but I just checked Vudu again and as of a few minutes ago, it still prompts me to buy the UHD version of both John Wick movies. I have redeemed many UV codes through them(from 4K disks I purchased) and gotten access to the UHD equivalent but not the John Wick movies or Hacksaw Ridge. Others like Atomic Blonde, The Magnificent 7 and the 50 Shades movies that I also entered the code through them, all show UHD as an option.

It's not a big deal to me since I dont really stream through them so I dunno. I'll have to email them again.

post #7477 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I redeemed my codes directly through Vudu's Redeem Code option. Perhaps that is part of the issue. Idunno but I just checked Vudu again and as of a few minutes ago, it still prompts me to buy the UHD version of both John Wick movies. I have redeemed many UV codes through them(from 4K disks I purchased) and gotten access to the UHD equivalent but not the John Wick movies or Hacksaw Ridge. Others like Atomic Blonde, The Magnificent 7 and the 50 Shades movies that I also entered the code through them, all show UHD as an option.

It's not a big deal to me since I dont really stream through them so I dunno. I'll have to email them again.

That's how I redeemed my codes too - so that shouldn't be the issue. What does your UV Library show as the quality redeemed?
post #7478 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:

I had this issue with a couple of the movie codes I redeemed. I called the VUDU support line and they were able to fix the issue.

Mark
post #7479 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Pretty much what I figured. That's why I'm avoiding it. Thanks.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
post #7480 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
Quote:
Pretty much what I figured. That's why I'm avoiding it. Thanks.
Yeah, i didnt realize how many settings and app downloads i did, pssswords ect......

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #7481 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 01:32 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Too bad there isn’t a nice control app that would let you use a smartphone and have the ability to use the keyboard, as well as copy and paste login info from password manager apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
shoman94 likes this.
post #7482 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Too bad there isn’t a nice control app that would let you use a smartphone and have the ability to use the keyboard, as well as copy and paste login info from password manager apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7483 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Anyone know of an app for the Shield can display Blu Ray menus with blurays ripped into folder structure?
post #7484 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Anyone know of an app for the Shield can display Blu Ray menus with blurays ripped into folder structure?
Do you want something that can handle seamless branching too? Then there's the good ole FBI warning you have to sit through. Why not just rip to mkv and watch the movie? If that isn't what you want, PLEX seems to pull up a pretty good collection of extras for each movie title if that's what you desire.

As far as your original question, I have no idea if there is one as I don't do full Blu-ray rips to folder structure as it isn't as usable to me as mkv's are.

post #7485 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Interesting. I redeemed both UV codes from the 4K disks via Vudu and they dont offer me the 4K streaming option. I emailed them at one point and they responded that they didn't have the rights to offer the 4K streaming option for disk buyers, only for people who bought the digital 4K version from them.

I've purchased 4 UHD discs, plus I have one online redemption for a UHD title that was given to me. None of the four I purchased are available in UHD on Vudu. Only Star Wars The Last Jedi is shown as UHD. I also have Independence Day, Close Encounters, Dracula and The Fifth Element. Vudu has none at UHD. Amazon has Close Encounters, and I don't believe I've found UHD for the other two anywhere.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #7486 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Logitech Harmony Elite...

Mark
post #7487 of 10394 Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Do you want something that can handle seamless branching too? Then there's the good ole FBI warning you have to sit through. Why not just rip to mkv and watch the movie? If that isn't what you want, PLEX seems to pull up a pretty good collection of extras for each movie title if that's what you desire.

As far as your original question, I have no idea if there is one as I don't do full Blu-ray rips to folder structure as it isn't as usable to me as mkv's are.
For certain titles it would be cool. Such as the demo discs that are found here on AVS. 25 tiny mkvs is kind of dumb. Then there's the issue of adding them to your library, needing each in it's own folder normally.

I hear jriver can do it now on windows which is pretty sweet.
post #7488 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I've purchased 4 UHD discs, plus I have one online redemption for a UHD title that was given to me. None of the four I purchased are available in UHD on Vudu. Only Star Wars The Last Jedi is shown as UHD. I also have Independence Day, Close Encounters, Dracula and The Fifth Element. Vudu has none at UHD. Amazon has Close Encounters, and I don't believe I've found UHD for the other two anywhere.
That's correct - none of the 4 titles you mention are available in UHD quality on VUDU, not all titles do. But the OP's query was regarding one's which were UHD quality and hadn't redeemed correctly.

Here's a spreadsheet which shows which titles are available in UHD and where best to redeem https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...mh4/edit#gid=0
post #7489 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8839 Post(s)
Liked: 5628
Quote:
One of the apps on Shield can already do it. I've tried it with several 2K discs but it wasn't reliable since it didn't work with them all and show the menus.

To have full menus I just use my Netgear streamer or popcorn hour streamer. Which is what I use for TV show discs. Since 98% of my 2K BDs are in the ISO format. And 100% of my TV show and Anime 2K BDs are ISOs.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-09-2018 at 06:36 AM.
post #7490 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For certain titles it would be cool. Such as the demo discs that are found here on AVS. 25 tiny mkvs is kind of dumb. Then there's the issue of adding them to your library, needing each in it's own folder normally.

I hear jriver can do it now on windows which is pretty sweet.
I don't have any of my MKV files in separate folders. I might group some of them by genre or some other reason, but nothing in their own folder because of any need for it. Of course, I don't rip anything but the main title. I don't bother with any of the extras.

But ripping the BD into its folder structure does require them being in their own folders. The ripping software I use (MakeMKV) isn't capable of doing that.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #7491 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
One of the apps on Shield can already do it. I've tried it with several 2K discs but it wasn't reliable since it didn't work with them all and show the menus.

To have full menus I just use my Netgear streamer or popcorn hour streamer. Which is what I use for TV show discs. Since 98% of my 2K BDs are in the ISO format. And 100% of my TV show and Anime 2K BDs are ISOs.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
Care to share which app it was?

Quote:
I don't have any of my MKV files in separate folders. I might group some of them by genre or some other reason, but nothing in their own folder because of any need for it. Of course, I don't rip anything but the main title. I don't bother with any of the extras.

But ripping the BD into its folder structure does require them being in their own folders. The ripping software I use (MakeMKV) isn't capable of doing that.
If you have a bunch of MKV's in a folder together, apps like emby and plex don't like it very much and aren't designed for that structure.

So ripping a demo BD disc with 25 M2TS files in the stream folder is not ideal.
post #7492 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Do you want something that can handle seamless branching too? Then there's the good ole FBI warning you have to sit through. Why not just rip to mkv and watch the movie?
Once you use makemkv or whatever to create a full disc backup, you can drop into the STREAM folder replace the annoying FBI warnings with blank .m2ts files and, presto, your backup is instantly less annoying. No forced trailers, no studio jingles. It jumps straight to the menu. I only do this for Dolby Vision titles with my Oppo, otherwise mkv is my preference.

No idea what Shield app can run full disc backups, though.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #7493 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 4510
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Once you use makemkv or whatever to create a full disc backup, you can drop into the STREAM folder replace the annoying FBI warnings with blank .m2ts files and, presto, your backup is instantly less annoying. No forced trailers, no studio jingles. It jumps straight to the menu. I only do this for Dolby Vision titles with my Oppo, otherwise mkv is my preference.

No idea what Shield app can run full disc backups, though.

I use DVDFab with the main movie backup option to pull out only the main movie and the audio + subtitles I want to keep and it also retains the Dolby vision stream in the BDMV folder structure. Though it is not free so your way might be more work but no cost for the software.
Taxcheat likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7494 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you have a bunch of MKV's in a folder together, apps like emby and plex don't like it very much and aren't designed for that structure.

So ripping a demo BD disc with 25 M2TS files in the stream folder is not ideal.
Nope, I use Plex without issue this way. But again I only rip the main title, not any of the extra features on a disc. I do keep my TV series in separate folders, but that's for my benefit. Plex only requires the TV files to be in a separate shared location from the movie files. If doesn't care beyond that for folder structure.

I use Serviio instead of Emby and have no issues at all. It doesn't even care if the TV and movie files are interspersed. I even have a few video files that are multi-part, and Serviio stacks them into a single entry and plays them one after the other as if they were a single file.

Dan
post #7495 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope, I use Plex without issue this way. But again I only rip the main title, not any of the extra features on a disc. I do keep my TV series in separate folders, but that's for my benefit. Plex only requires the TV files to be in a separate shared location from the movie files. If doesn't care beyond that for folder structure.

I use Serviio instead of Emby and have no issues at all. It doesn't even care if the TV and movie files are interspersed. I even have a few video files that are multi-part, and Serviio stacks them into a single entry and plays them one after the other as if they were a single file.
Sounds like a mess, I'm way too OCD for that. But whatever works for you.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #7496 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:

MakeMKV can rip the full disc instead of making an MKV.

https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4

post #7497 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When is new one with upgraded processor coming?
post #7498 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
There have not been any announcements.
post #7499 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
There have not been any announcements.
Maybe they’re waiting to provide features like eARC?

So when they can have HDMI 2.1?
post #7500 of 10394 Old 08-09-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
MakeMKV can rip the full disc instead of making an MKV.

https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
Huh, never knew about that. Thanks!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page