NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3641Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7921 of 12221 Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The native plex app on the SHield has no problem bitstreaming ATmos, DTS:X, etc. And also has framerate matching.
Plex for me seems to use the global Shield framerate / resolution.

Where do you select native framerate in the plex app?

Thanks
Iamjcl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7922 of 12221 Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
Plex for me seems to use the global Shield framerate / resolution.

Where do you select native framerate in the plex app?

Thanks
It is down in the Plex settings.

I have tonight verified that Plex now does framerate matching and DTS:MA with an HD movie. ("Inception" was the test.)

A very nice improvement from when I used to use it a lot.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #7923 of 12221 Old 09-20-2018, 01:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Are you only speaking about your internal network? Is the Plex server and your Shield on the same network? Then your Internet speed is not relevant. If your Ethernet is at least 100 Mbps (100 BaseT or Fast Internet) then you shouldn't have any streaming speed issue. I haven't tried Plex too much since I got my Shield, instead using Kodi for my local media. But I'm pretty sure that when I tried one of my UHD rips it streamed in full 4K HDR and whatever HD audio that particular video had (DTS:X or TrueHD/Atmos). If I recall I did have to set the video to force direct play, as it seemed to want to transcode, even though the Shield and my TV fully support it native, and I'm on a gigabit home network.
No, it's on different networks in different houses of mine. The server is on a network with uploading speeds of about 20mbps, while the Plex client (Nvidia Shield) is on a 200mbp network that's 45 miles away.
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7924 of 12221 Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
No, it's on different networks in different houses of mine. The server is on a network with uploading speeds of about 20mbps, while the Plex client (Nvidia Shield) is on a 200mbp network that's 45 miles away.
Ah, yes, then your upload speed is certainly the limiting factor. I can exceed 20 Mbps easily just with a standard Blu Ray rip. I believe the highest I've seen is close to 40 Mbps. And my UHD rips can exceed 100 Mbps. So transcoding would be necessary for you to not have buffering issues.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #7925 of 12221 Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
It is down in the Plex settings.

I have tonight verified that Plex now does framerate matching and DTS:MA with an HD movie. ("Inception" was the test.)

A very nice improvement from when I used to use it a lot.
Thanks - took a minute to find that settings are under the login / name at the top...

Seems to work well!
Iamjcl is offline  
post #7926 of 12221 Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 AM
Member
 
rjih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Shield TV Gaming $107.00 with free shipping from Amazon. Probably a price mistake but I ordered one anyway. Let you know if it ships.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD...70_&dpSrc=srch
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by rjih; 09-21-2018 at 06:07 AM.
rjih is online now  
post #7927 of 12221 Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM
Member
 
Bodyslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Woodstock GA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
Shield TV Gaming $107.00 with free shipping from Amazon. Probably a price mistake but I ordered one anyway. Let you know if it ships.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD...70_&dpSrc=srch
I ordered one as well. Hopefully it gets processed and shipped quickly.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
Bodyslide is offline  
post #7928 of 12221 Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
Shield TV Gaming $107.00 with free shipping from Amazon. Probably a price mistake but I ordered one anyway. Let you know if it ships.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD...70_&dpSrc=srch
Looks like the price is already fixed but I hope y'all get it!

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple 4K, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One X
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
LG OLED 55C8PUA, Denon x4400h, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
sikclown is offline  
post #7929 of 12221 Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,822
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Looks like the price is already fixed but I hope y'all get it!
The $107 was actually for a different distributor on Amazon where now it is coming direct from Amazon (at the original price). Wonder if the other vendor was just looking to blow out whatever remaining stock they had?

Cheers
dbone1026 is offline  
post #7930 of 12221 Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 9,424
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
The $107 was actually for a different distributor on Amazon where now it is coming direct from Amazon (at the original price). Wonder if the other vendor was just looking to blow out whatever remaining stock they had?
Or it wasn't legit in the first place.
mborland likes this.

bryansj is offline  
post #7931 of 12221 Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jpep13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
I ordered one as well. Hopefully it gets processed and shipped quickly.
Is it being processed and shipped for that lower price?
jpep13 is offline  
post #7932 of 12221 Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Looks like the price is already fixed but I hope y'all get it!
I need one of these. Sad I missed it. Booo.
nexus99 is offline  
post #7933 of 12221 Old 09-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Bodyslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Woodstock GA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpep13 View Post
Is it being processed and shipped for that lower price?
It's not been cancelled yet, Hopefully it will ship on Mon or Tues.
aaronwt and azz7686 like this.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
Bodyslide is offline  
post #7934 of 12221 Old 09-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Member
 
rjih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
It's not been cancelled yet, Hopefully it will ship on Mon or Tues.
Same here. My Amazon order status indicates the order date, not shipped, but expected to arrive between 9/27/2018 and 10/2/2018.
rjih is online now  
post #7935 of 12221 Old 09-23-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Damn! Wish I caught this.. I need a few more to complete my setup..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #7936 of 12221 Old 09-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
If what you are looking for is correct resolution/frame rate/color space switching with atmos and dts:x passthrough with 4k HDR and below support in KODI, then the shield lacks the color space switching and it's a pain. It's also terrible at upscaling so let your TV do the upscale and send your 1080p videos at 1080p to your TV.

I ordered a minix U9-H and will install coreELEC on it. From my research it's should be hassle free for what I just mentioned above. It supposedly switches color space and does not convert BT709 to BT2020 so it's even better like that. I will see if it plays smoothly and correctly. Supposedly so. Vero 4K or Vero 4K+ is a similar box.

Of course if you also need netflix 4k hdr and amazon prime then the minix with coreELEC is not for you.

I won't let go of my shield though because it is the most powerful hardware android box out there. Who knows they might fix the color space switching one day although it's been so long I don't think they will.
Follow-up on my Minix U9-H using CoreELEC experience for those interested. Turns out I was unimpressed by it for a bunch of reasons (in order of importance):

- HDR is too dim. The highlights and overall picture brightness were not correct and not on-par with my panasonic UB900 or the Shield tv or pc with madVR which all exposed the same brightness.
- Overscan cannot be unset in player. You need to force just scan on oleds and you cannot do anything on pc monitors that don't support just scan internally like mine.
- The response time when you skip chapters or anywhere in a movie is too slow and sometimes it never recovers and just freezes
- When you pop up the overlay GUI in Kodi, the video does not play smooth anymore (CoreELEC only, LibreELEC didn't do that but had bad bugs when skipping in a file like stopping the file and back to kodi gui for no reason, etc.).

Those are the main problems. It was color space switching and the image was good otherwise but I returned it and will be using the shield tv again or madVR on PC for my media playback.

So yeah, I still think the shield tv is the best standalone non pc player out there for local file playback through Kodi. It's very fast compared to these minix boxes.

It's just important to not let it scale your image (let your TV do it) since it's bad at it and you'll need to switch color space manually if you play a mix of BT2020 and BT709 files.
Creator44 is offline  
post #7937 of 12221 Old 09-23-2018, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
...
So yeah, I still think the shield tv is the best standalone non pc player out there for local file playback through Kodi. It's very fast compared to these minix boxes.
...
Well, IMO the Oppo 203 is much better for PQ. (But you do lose that pretty Plex or Kodi UI.) And it auto-handles the color space too.

But:
  1. The Shield is still available on the market.
  2. The Shield is a lot less expensive even when the Oppo could be purchased new.
groove93 and azz7686 like this.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #7938 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,558
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Well, IMO the Oppo 203 is much better for PQ. (But you do lose that pretty Plex or Kodi UI.) And it auto-handles the color space too.

But:
  1. The Shield is still available on the market.
  2. The Shield is a lot less expensive even when the Oppo could be purchased new.
I'm curious how "much" better the pq could get. This is of course subjective but still.

For those that manually change color space. Is it just 709 for SDR and 2020 for HDR? Or is it more complicated than that?
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #7939 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Well, IMO the Oppo 203 is much better for PQ. (But you do lose that pretty Plex or Kodi UI.) And it auto-handles the color space too.

But:
  1. The Shield is still available on the market.
  2. The Shield is a lot less expensive even when the Oppo could be purchased new.
I still have my Oppo 103 but only use it for passthrough hdmi for a grabber (DD to PCM on the audio). I never liked the PQ on it, somewhat soft, there was some video playback bugs on blu-rays and the deinterlacing (THE reason I bought it back then) made some black lines on DVDs where even my PS3 didn't which was pretty disappointing. Also, the interface to playback files was not to my liking. The way you skipped through a video was not fast and easy. I don't know if they changed the GUI with Oppo 203?

Since I was on Dune at that time, the difference was too much for me to use the Oppo.

I have no experience with the Oppo 203 because my Oppo 103 experience was not good so I didn't get it. I suppose it's better. Does it play MKV with all HD audio passthrough?

In any case, it's true the shield's PQ is not among the best but with my tests I found that if it does not have to scale the image, the PQ is close to the other devices or as good, but we are still using Kodi which is good but not the best decoder out there. Love the GUI though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I'm curious how "much" better the pq could get. This is of course subjective but still.

For those that manually change color space. Is it just 709 for SDR and 2020 for HDR? Or is it more complicated than that?
Mainly that yes but you can have non HDR video files that are encoded BT2020 but those are rare. The problem is, the video information of Kodi, if you set your controller to be able to show it, does not give that information anymore. On SPMC or MrMC I think you still see it.

Last edited by Creator44; 09-24-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Creator44 is offline  
post #7940 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Well, IMO the Oppo 203 is much better for PQ. (But you do lose that pretty Plex or Kodi UI.) And it auto-handles the color space too.

But:
  1. The Shield is still available on the market.
  2. The Shield is a lot less expensive even when the Oppo could be purchased new.
I sold my 203, mainly because I found that when playing blu-ray or 4K HDR rips at native resolutions (which is how I always play them since I have a JVC RS500 1080p / eShift 4K PJ) I couldn't tell any difference between Shield and 203.

And as you say, you need to select resolution / color space manually (which I have set on 1 button on Harmony accomplished via Vertex to handle the HDMI / Color space change) but it's simple.

You can also use multiple apps on the shield (SPMC, Kodi, for example) and have certain display parameters set for each app, and maybe watch 4K files via one and 1080p files via the other one - there are maybe a few different ways to ease the display properties thing. AFAIK, the playback engine is the same in both of those apps.

Playing DVD (480i) non-film based rips however is handled better by the 203. Between the scaling and the de-interlacing required, the 203 was tops. But I have found with the right settings the Shield gets very, very close. (The ATV4K will not, no matter what app or settings, fwiw, though it does well on blu-ray and 4K like the shield).

Via Kodi, Plex or SPMC, the Shield interface is much better than the 203, as pointed out, but I liked the Oppo companion app on Android to browse or select media files for playback. I'm not aware of something like that for Kodi/Plex/SPMC and the Shield, but somebody please let me know if that's possible.
Iamjcl is offline  
post #7941 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 603
I have my Shield set at 2160, BT.2020. I don't notice anything out of place with my local media streaming through Kodi 18 beta 2. It appears to send everything to the TV at native resolution and lets the TV handle any upconversion. The color space looks fine with DVD rips and 1080 Blu Ray rips. And of course my UHD rips look as good as the TV is capable of displaying. I only offer that caveat because the Samsung JU series as originally offered did not include HDR. It was added via a firmware update, but is still kind of quasi-HDR. I'm sure a real HDR set would look even better, but I also need to qualify that the only UHD rips I have are older titles and not recent cutting edge video.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #7942 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I have my Shield set at 2160, BT.2020. I don't notice anything out of place with my local media streaming through Kodi 18 beta 2. It appears to send everything to the TV at native resolution and lets the TV handle any upconversion. The color space looks fine with DVD rips and 1080 Blu Ray rips. And of course my UHD rips look as good as the TV is capable of displaying. I only offer that caveat because the Samsung JU series as originally offered did not include HDR. It was added via a firmware update, but is still kind of quasi-HDR. I'm sure a real HDR set would look even better, but I also need to qualify that the only UHD rips I have are older titles and not recent cutting edge video.
I must be on the last non-beta Kodi - I think it is 17. something.

If the beta you are using has a "native" output resolution option, I'd be interested in going with the beta.

AFAIK, under Kodi settings you currently specify what resolution to output with, and check or uncheck "match frame rate". If there was an option for native resolution, that would be nice. Could you confirm if that is the case with your version?

Thanks!
Iamjcl is offline  
post #7943 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I still go between my Shield and 203, but picture quality for 1080p content (in my case) does look better on the 203. Connecting the Shield to the 203's HDMI in, then setting the 203 output to Auto rather than Source Direct, allows for further picture adjustment through the 203s settings as well.

I don't use the Shield for any Audio Streaming such as Spotify or local flac playback. Thats one of the strong points of the 203. I use the 203's analog outputs for a 2- Channel set up.

The 203 uses the same DAC as my Marantz SR7010 so sound quality in a 2-channel configuration is the same, but I find the Oppo mobile app to be much easier to use when navigating through my audio library. Plus I've recently moved from SMB to NFS and luckily my 203 is able to stream using NFS with ease.

But when it comes to watching Live TV (ota with an HD HomeRun) and streaming apps, the Shield shines for me.




Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
azz7686 likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #7944 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,103
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Well, IMO the Oppo 203 is much better for PQ. (But you do lose that pretty Plex or Kodi UI.) And it auto-handles the color space too.



But:
  1. The Shield is still available on the market.
  2. The Shield is a lot less expensive even when the Oppo could be purchased new.


I think MrMC with the advanced scaling codecs beats the oppo for upscaling capability when playing HD and SD video files. However many TVs will be better than that so it may be moot. Both Sony and Samsung are among the best for this. My LG OLED is ok but I feel the result is better from MrMC.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #7945 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
I sold my 203, mainly because I found that when playing blu-ray or 4K HDR rips at native resolutions (which is how I always play them since I have a JVC RS500 1080p / eShift 4K PJ) I couldn't tell any difference between Shield and 203.

And as you say, you need to select resolution / color space manually (which I have set on 1 button on Harmony accomplished via Vertex to handle the HDMI / Color space change) but it's simple.

You can also use multiple apps on the shield (SPMC, Kodi, for example) and have certain display parameters set for each app, and maybe watch 4K files via one and 1080p files via the other one - there are maybe a few different ways to ease the display properties thing. AFAIK, the playback engine is the same in both of those apps.

Playing DVD (480i) non-film based rips however is handled better by the 203. Between the scaling and the de-interlacing required, the 203 was tops. But I have found with the right settings the Shield gets very, very close. (The ATV4K will not, no matter what app or settings, fwiw, though it does well on blu-ray and 4K like the shield).

Via Kodi, Plex or SPMC, the Shield interface is much better than the 203, as pointed out, but I liked the Oppo companion app on Android to browse or select media files for playback. I'm not aware of something like that for Kodi/Plex/SPMC and the Shield, but somebody please let me know if that's possible.
We have the same results comparing the shield to other devices.

About the color space switching automation, when you say vertex do you mean this?:
https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/

It seems to be able to do color space conversion on-the-fly? So even if I send the video out of the shield in BT2020 mode but with the colors still in BT709 format because of the shield not switching them, I can force the colors to be shifted from BT709 to BT2020 by the vertex to correct them? Is that how it works?

If so, I may try it, but I am always reluctant to put another device in the HDMI chain.

Is there an easy way to automate the resolution switching on the shield? Could I use the Harmony or something else (open to all ideas) to record a sequence of input keys to go to the hdmi resolutions in the shield's settings and swap bt709 and bt2020? The list of resolutions would need to be static I guess so that the number of movements recorded would match the correct resolution every time you launch the script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I have my Shield set at 2160, BT.2020. I don't notice anything out of place with my local media streaming through Kodi 18 beta 2. It appears to send everything to the TV at native resolution and lets the TV handle any upconversion. The color space looks fine with DVD rips and 1080 Blu Ray rips. And of course my UHD rips look as good as the TV is capable of displaying. I only offer that caveat because the Samsung JU series as originally offered did not include HDR. It was added via a firmware update, but is still kind of quasi-HDR. I'm sure a real HDR set would look even better, but I also need to qualify that the only UHD rips I have are older titles and not recent cutting edge video.
Maybe it's because of the Samsung TV. I read the Sony tvs somehow do not have the color space issue with the shield tv. I have an LG OLED and I do have the issue.

To see if you have the issue, just play this video while the shield is in BT2020 resolution mode:

It's the Sony triluminos video which has a lot of red. Take notice on the parts where you see the strawberries very zoomed in or the roses right after that. It will be clear if you compare it with another device that plays it back correctly that the strawberries and roses are orange instead of red. That's the color space bug of the shield tv.
Creator44 is offline  
post #7946 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
I must be on the last non-beta Kodi - I think it is 17. something.

If the beta you are using has a "native" output resolution option, I'd be interested in going with the beta.

AFAIK, under Kodi settings you currently specify what resolution to output with, and check or uncheck "match frame rate". If there was an option for native resolution, that would be nice. Could you confirm if that is the case with your version?

Thanks!
Yeah, you have to side-load the beta. I just updated to beta 2 last week. I do use the Match Frame Rate, and can confirm that it will send my Blu Rays at 24 fps. Kodi is set at 2160 59.whatever, but my BD rips show as 1080 on my TV. Unfortunately, that's all the TV will tell me, resolution and framerate. It doesn't tell me color space, and I don't think my Yamaha can do it either. Next time I play a DVD rip, I'll have to check and see if it's sending 480 or 520 to the TV.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #7947 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
I must be on the last non-beta Kodi - I think it is 17. something.

If the beta you are using has a "native" output resolution option, I'd be interested in going with the beta.

AFAIK, under Kodi settings you currently specify what resolution to output with, and check or uncheck "match frame rate". If there was an option for native resolution, that would be nice. Could you confirm if that is the case with your version?

Thanks!
Yes it's on the latest Kodi v18 Leia. What they did is they added a "whitelisting" option in the settings so that you list all the "[email protected]" you want Kodi to use when auto resolution and framerate switching.

So, let's say you have this in your list because your tv supports it:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Then, you can select which ones you want Kodi to use. Let's say we select them all. Then Kodi will send a [email protected] video file in [email protected] to the tv, so no resolution or framerate modification. The TV will upscale.

It's pretty neat. Even a 25 fps video file is sent at 25Hz to the TV (if the TV supports it) and not the typical 50Hz doubling we often see in other players.
aaronwt, giomania and atc98092 like this.
Creator44 is offline  
post #7948 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yeah, you have to side-load the beta. I just updated to beta 2 last week. I do use the Match Frame Rate, and can confirm that it will send my Blu Rays at 24 fps. Kodi is set at 2160 59.whatever, but my BD rips show as 1080 on my TV. Unfortunately, that's all the TV will tell me, resolution and framerate. It doesn't tell me color space, and I don't think my Yamaha can do it either. Next time I play a DVD rip, I'll have to check and see if it's sending 480 or 520 to the TV.
Well that's interesting that you have Kodi set to output 4K yet 1080p files play at 1080p - and apparently there is no "native" setting that is checked?

If I set Kodi to 4k, everything outputs 4K, as you'd expect from such a setting.
Iamjcl is offline  
post #7949 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Yes it's on the latest Kodi v18 Leia. What they did is they added a "whitelisting" option in the settings so that you list all the "[email protected]" you want Kodi to use when auto resolution and framerate switching.

So, let's say you have this in your list because your tv supports it:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Then, you can select which ones you want Kodi to use. Let's say we select them all. Then Kodi will send a [email protected] video file in [email protected] to the tv, so no resolution or framerate modification. The TV will upscale.

It's pretty neat. Even a 25 fps video file is sent at 25Hz to the TV (if the TV supports it) and not the typical 50Hz doubling we often see in other players.
OK - that is neat. Will have to side load it - do you have a source for the .apk for the Shield version?

Thanks!
Iamjcl is offline  
post #7950 of 12221 Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
Well that's interesting that you have Kodi set to output 4K yet 1080p files play at 1080p - and apparently there is no "native" setting that is checked?

If I set Kodi to 4k, everything outputs 4K, as you'd expect from such a setting.
See what Creator44 just posted above. I had forgotten that I had selected those from the Whitelist section. But yes, it outputs at native resolution every one you select in that list. Since they don't list any SD resolutions, my guess is my DVD rips will all be 1080/60 output from Kodi.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off