NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #8281 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
It's sad that Alexa does a better job controlling Shield than Google Home does controlling non-Shield AndroidTVs... and that Google Home does a better job controlling Roku now as well... and that the Home Hub can pause/play/stop non-Shield AndroidTVs on-screen but can't by voice... and that YouTube TV and Live Channels don't have Home Screen Channels in the AndroidTV update.

Google's various internal groups and their partners really need to get on the same page(s) in terms of feature parity and showcasing each other.
groove93 and mattztt like this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 10-30-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I still haven't gotten my Mini to play Netflix on the Shield properly.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8283 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 694
I know there are only a few countries that fully support Google Home Integration with the Shield as stated on the Nvidia forum, but there's really no manual labor in getting your Google Home and Shield to talk to each other.

However I do agree with Stephen Hopkins comments regarding the "departments" of Google not communicating. This concept of Google Assistant should have been consistent throughout all hardware platforms, and many of us learned the hard way last year when we jumped ship from the Echo to Google Home.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8284 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
Say More: Control SHIELD TV with Amazon Echo Devices

Has anyone gotten the Alexa skill to work? I've enabled the skill and my dot says i'm connected to Shield, but when i try using the skill my dot says it can't find "Shield"

Also, supposedly the amazon app should now output Atmos, but i've tried Jack Ryan and am only getting DD5.1.

"The company also announced a new addition for those using Shield TV with Amazon content: Dolby Atmos passthrough support for Prime Video."

Is there a system upgrade needed for the shield to begin using these new features?

Yes, I can have Alexa turn on my Shield (and my TV through HDMI-CEC). Some of the things it is supposed to do:

post #8285 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
So are you saying that right now, you get atmos with Jack Ryan? Cause according to them, they're working on a known issue after disabling , then reenabling atmos to their app.
yes, just tried it. dolby atmos for all 8 episodes

---talbain---
post #8286 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post
yes, just tried it. dolby atmos for all 8 episodes
Interesting. Perhaps Amazon fixed the issue they were having. I had checked this morning around 10:30am ET using my FireTV 4k “dongle” and ATMOS was still not listed under audio options, only stereo and DD+. I’ll have to check again.

Mark
post #8287 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Interesting. Perhaps Amazon fixed the issue they were having. I had checked this morning around 10:30am ET using my FireTV 4k “dongle” and ATMOS was still not listed under audio options, only stereo and DD+. I’ll have to check again.
Apparently whatever issue Amazon was having has been fixed. I’m getting the ATMOS sound track on Jack Ryan on both my FireTV and my Shield again.

Mark
post #8288 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I am also now getting Atmos with Jack Ryan so they must have fixed whatever the issue was.

As for the echo, not sure why mine isn't able to control the shield. I tried another dot on another shield (2017) and got same results.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #8289 of 13521 Old 10-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Got it working now - User Error!

Uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. Major case of user error / didn't RTFM (properly).

Turns out I never added NVidia as an account on the Shield. Reading the instructions, I figured logging in to my NVidia account when I enabled the skill was what they meant in the tip that says "log in to an NVidia account on the shield"

I added NVidia as an account on the Shield itself and lo and behold, the dot is now controlling with voice commands.

Still got an issue with launching Prime Video - gives me an "item not found" error.

Still, the problem I initially had was user error, tomorrow I'll play around with some settings to try to resolving this issue.

Off to the NVidia forums now to eat some humble pie.

Thanks for the help guys.

My Gear:
Spoiler!

Last edited by mr b; 10-30-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #8290 of 13521 Old 10-31-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Apparently whatever issue Amazon was having has been fixed. I’m getting the ATMOS sound track on Jack Ryan on both my FireTV and my Shield again.
My Plex app plays Atmos fine. Is there any Shield audio settings to get Atmos on Prime Video?
I only see 5.1 listed for the UHD Jack Ryan. Is there a way to change it to Atmos in the app or while the video plays (on Shield)?
Thanks.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
SOUNDBAR: LG SK10Y + surrounds
PLEX SERVER: QNAP TS-453Bmini
ACCESSORIES: HDHomeRun EXTEND, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV
post #8291 of 13521 Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csviegas View Post
My Plex app plays Atmos fine. Is there any Shield audio settings to get Atmos on Prime Video?
I only see 5.1 listed for the UHD Jack Ryan. Is there a way to change it to Atmos in the app or while the video plays (on Shield)?
Thanks.
AFAIK no. Once it starts to play it should detect that you have ATMOS capability and play the ATMOS sound track. If you are using a 4k capable FireTV device then yes, their is a menu that allows you to select from the available sound tracks. The Amazon Prime app on the Shield does not have a menu like that AFAIK.

Mark
post #8292 of 13521 Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM

Liked: 4
Thanks.
It's possibly an issue with the prime video app not detecting the LG SK10Y as an AMTOS capable device.
According to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201460880
it should show up as ATMOS on both the xbox and shield.
I'll double check the xbox app tonight, but if it doesn't show, I'll have to open a support ticket with Amazon since other apps work fine.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
SOUNDBAR: LG SK10Y + surrounds
PLEX SERVER: QNAP TS-453Bmini
ACCESSORIES: HDHomeRun EXTEND, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV
post #8293 of 13521 Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. Major case of user error / didn't RTFM (properly).

Turns out I never added NVidia as an account on the Shield. Reading the instructions, I figured logging in to my NVidia account when I enabled the skill was what they meant in the tip that says "log in to an NVidia account on the shield"

I added NVidia as an account on the Shield itself and lo and behold, the dot is now controlling with voice commands.

Still got an issue with launching Prime Video - gives me an "item not found" error.

Still, the problem I initially had was user error, tomorrow I'll play around with some settings to try to resolving this issue.

Off to the NVidia forums now to eat some humble pie.

Thanks for the help guys.

So far I've only been able to get Alexa to launch Netflix and YouTube. If I say "Alexa, open Kodi" sometimes she says she can't find it and other times she says "OK", but nothing happens. Sometimes she thinks I'm saying Call of Duty instead of Kodi which is kind of funny. Once I'm in Kodi, the ability to have Alexa start one of my movies or TV shows from my Plex server has been available for quite some time now and works great. Another issue I've had is that when I have Alexa turn on the Shield and my TV through HDMI-CEC sometimes my remote (I use the one that came with the TV) will stop working and I'll have to reboot the Shield. I'm sure this is all a work in progress and they'll iron out the kinks eventually.
post #8294 of 13521 Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dear Friends

I am going to buy NVIDIA Shield and I would like to ask more experience owners about few things:

1. I would like to connect via USB 3.0 my Seagate 8TB 256MB SkyHawk (ST8000VX0022) NTFS GPT, will NVIDIA Shield recognize this HDD and capacity?
2. I would like to use Kodi 17.6 or newer version to play .mkv remuxes prepared from my physical BD and UHD with lossless for video and audio in Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD MA/DTS:X. Will it play smooth without any pauses, slowing video, audio out of sync?
3. If a movie from second point is 23.976, will Kodi play this file in this frequency?
4. I also would like to buy Onkyo TX-NR686 with HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 [email protected] 10bit BT.2020 HDR10 inputs and output. When I will connect NVIDIA Shield to one of this inputs and I will connect projector Epson EH-TW5300, which is still with HDMI 1.4 and no HDCP 2.2, will I have image from my projector in such connection? My projector can recognize signal [email protected] and scale it to 1080p.
5. Can I set in NVIDIA Shield resolution to 1080p60, while I don't have at the moment UHD projector, which is HDCP 2.2?
6. Can Kodi 17.6 play .m2ts, .iso, BDMV with lossless video and bitstream audio to my Onkyo TX-NR686?
7. Are there any options related to SDR, HDR, YCbCr or RGB, 8/10bit?
8. What kind resolution and frequencies may I choose in NVIDIA Shield?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

VAMET
post #8295 of 13521 Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Dear Friends

I am going to buy NVIDIA Shield and I would like to ask more experience owners about few things:

1. I would like to connect via USB 3.0 my Seagate 8TB 256MB SkyHawk (ST8000VX0022) NTFS GPT, will NVIDIA Shield recognize this HDD and capacity?
2. I would like to use Kodi 17.6 or newer version to play .mkv remuxes prepared from my physical BD and UHD with lossless for video and audio in Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD MA/DTS:X. Will it play smooth without any pauses, slowing video, audio out of sync?
3. If a movie from second point is 23.976, will Kodi play this file in this frequency?
4. I also would like to buy Onkyo TX-NR686 with HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 [email protected] 10bit BT.2020 HDR10 inputs and output. When I will connect NVIDIA Shield to one of this inputs and I will connect projector Epson EH-TW5300, which is still with HDMI 1.4 and no HDCP 2.2, will I have image from my projector in such connection? My projector can recognize signal [email protected] and scale it to 1080p.
5. Can I set in NVIDIA Shield resolution to 1080p60, while I don't have at the moment UHD projector, which is HDCP 2.2?
6. Can Kodi 17.6 play .m2ts, .iso, BDMV with lossless video and bitstream audio to my Onkyo TX-NR686?
7. Are there any options related to SDR, HDR, YCbCr or RGB, 8/10bit?
8. What kind resolution and frequencies may I choose in NVIDIA Shield?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
1. I don't use a hard drive connected to the Shield, so I can't say for sure if that size drive is supported. But I would be very surprised if it didn't.

2. Streaming from my DLNA server, the Shield plays everything I have smoothly at native resolution and full lossless audio, including Atmos and DTS:X. I am using the latest beta of Kodi 18 with no issues.

3. In Kodi 18, you have to whitelist the desired resolutions and frequencies to be allowed. Not certain if Kodi 17 had this requirement. I am almost certain that is a supported resolution/frequency.

4. I believe in this scenario the proper display setting for your Shield (and Kodi within its own settings) would be 1080, since the projector doesn't support HDCP 2.2. It seems to be pretty good at detecting what resolution is supported and setting itself accurately.

5. Yes, you can.

6. I never played with Kodi 17.6, going straight to the beta builds of Kodi 18. But yes, all lossless codecs are supported. My media is in MKV, M2TS, MP4, WTV and a couple of other containers, all which work with Kodi without transcoding. I'm not certain about ISO or BDMV folder formats.

7. I don't recall any specific settings dealing with HDR. Color bit can be set.

8. I haven't seen a specific list of what the Shield itself supports. The whitelist I mentioned in Kodi shows a vast number of resolution and frequency combinations for both 1080 and 2160. Besides the non-fractional frequencies (60, 50, 30, and 24), there are a number of the fractional frequencies, such as 23.976 and 59.whatever it is. I'm not at home so can't look at the complete list. What I don't know is if that list changes based on your detected display, or if they are all listed regardless of display support.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #8296 of 13521 Old 11-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dear atc98092

Thank you for your fast reply.

How you have installed Kodi 18 Beta, it's not available in Google Play, any workaround?

As for 23.976Hz, I mean that 99% of my .mkv files are in 1080p/2160p 23.976Hz, so I would like to know, if Kodi will automaticaly change to 23.976HD during playback of the movie?

Thank you once more for your help.

Sincerely

VAMET
post #8297 of 13521 Old 11-01-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Dear atc98092

Thank you for your fast reply.

How you have installed Kodi 18 Beta, it's not available in Google Play, any workaround?

As for 23.976Hz, I mean that 99% of my .mkv files are in 1080p/2160p 23.976Hz, so I would like to know, if Kodi will automaticaly change to 23.976HD during playback of the movie?

Thank you once more for your help.

Sincerely
Yes, Kodi is capable of auto-framerate switching. The last beta seems to have broken it though, unless I have a setting off somewhere. Haven't spent much time troubleshooting, but I might this weekend.

You can side-load almost any Android app via USB. There's a setting in the Shield menu to allow it, but can't say where it is off the top of my head. I also believe there's a Kodi add-in that can download beta builds automatically, but I haven't done that yet. Just go to the Kodi.TV web site, go to their download page, and select Pre-Release for the latest beta, or Development to get the latest nightly version. I think I used the latest development version last time, so that might be why the framerate wasn't switching. I wasn't getting HDR when I had it enabled. Have to try a newer version to see if it's fixed.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #8298 of 13521 Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 694
A few nights ago I decided to move my NAS back downstairs into the living room. It's now connected to my 8-port switch via ethernet. So no more Wireless between the Shield and NAS. The process took about an hour.

The reason for the move was because apparently my router is having to deal with constant Channeling with other neighborhood SSIDs floating around. The best Channel for 5GHz in my setup is 36. This allowed for a pretty solid stream of my Media to my Shield, Oppo 203, and mobile devices with no issues. Within the last month or so with neighbors coming and going, moving in, and moving out, streaming my content via Wifi has gotten worse. My routers ability to switch channels on the fly worked out great, but now it's just not manageable.

Considering I moved my NAS into a newer and quieter box, I no longer hear the CPU Fan revving up when I needed to Transcode something to a tablet or phone. That's great, but I never considered moving the NAS back downstairs either, until now. Now the NAS and it's drives sit behind my couch and it's rather quiet. I hear two of my drives click here and there, but that's it.

Streaming via Wifi or not, both my Shield and Oppo 203 are still solid devices. They pull up 1:1 Blu Ray and UHD Rips instantly. So whatever connection or device I used, I had full confidence in the performance of the Shield and 203. Unfortunately when it came to watching a movie, an hour into it, 20 minutes into it, 10 minutes, 15, etc etc the movie would pause or skip. I knew it would happen when I heard a neighbor coming home, specifically my next door neighbor whom now happens to have a new COD Black Ops 4 habit.

Now that the NAS is physically connected to my switch, I'm getting the same great performance without the sudden and predictable pauses. I'll have to tidy up the area where I placed my NAS but it's out of the way, not to be seen, and quiet.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #8299 of 13521 Old 11-05-2018, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Is it possible my shield is converting everything to 4K ?

When i get the Info from my PJ it says 4k when i know its a SDHD signal .

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #8300 of 13521 Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Yeah I don’t think it has resolution switching, just refresh rate. Not 100% though.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #8301 of 13521 Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The Shield can switch resolution and frame rate, but it is app dependent. I believe Netflix and Amazon video do this without any changes. Plex will switch frame rate, but not resolution. Kodi and MrMC will switch both frame rate and resolution, but it needs to be enabled in the advanced settings. The Plex plug in for Kodi/MrMC with also switch resolution once enabled.
post #8302 of 13521 Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kodi does handle resolution switching, but I don't believe it goes below 1080. You have to whitelist the desired supported resolutions/refresh rates, and I don't remember seeing any setting below 1080. But I am using Kodi 18 beta, so perhaps it isn't complete yet.

Dan
post #8303 of 13521 Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Kodi does handle resolution switching, but I don't believe it goes below 1080. You have to whitelist the desired supported resolutions/refresh rates, and I don't remember seeing any setting below 1080. But I am using Kodi 18 beta, so perhaps it isn't complete yet.
Yes, 720p is available on my Vizio- it depends upon your TV.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8304 of 13521 Old 11-06-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I’ve been reading about hi res streaming players, i guess spotify and Pandora support it, is my ShieldPRO a hi res streaming machine
post #8305 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Nvidia Shield is $140 at Walmart and Amazon.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12214249-nv...?src=frontpage
aaronwt and JRock3x8 like this.
post #8306 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 633
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Came here to post that very thing.

Lowest price ever, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8307 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
I’ve been reading about hi res streaming players, i guess spotify and Pandora support it, is my ShieldPRO a hi res streaming machine

Pandora is not hi-res anything. It’s actually lower quality than most other services. Hi-res audio would be something like Deezer or Tidal which offer CD quality 24/96 audio. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you are referring to.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #8308 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Android does not handle high res audio properly. It upsamples everything to 48khz. Which may or may not be an issue for you. Where did you see spotify is doing high res?
post #8309 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Deal Dead.
post #8310 of 13521 Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Deal Dead.

And now my young padawan you have learned the value of deal alerts. lol