NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 304 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3127Likes

post #9091 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
The out of sync is likely just a quirk in the MKV, and not a bad rip. Try adjusting the audio offset to fix it. It’s pretty easy with VLC and MKVToolNix.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57201242

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/11/f...lc-mkvtoolnix/
If it was all of my rips, I could agree. But it's just this one. I've tried re-ripping it, but I think my BD drive is going hinky on me. It's doing fine with DVD and BD rips, but UHD isn't working right anymore. I have the same drive in another computer, so I'll have to try that one.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
If it was all of my rips, I could agree. But it's just this one. I've tried re-ripping it, but I think my BD drive is going hinky on me. It's doing fine with DVD and BD rips, but UHD isn't working right anymore. I have the same drive in another computer, so I'll have to try that one.
Right. It doesn’t occur with all rips. It’s a movie-specific issue. I’ve experienced it a couple of times with extracting the Atmos track from UHD and inserting into HD MKV.

Seriously, give the fix a try, I’m betting it will fix your sync issue and save you time and money chasing non-existent ripping and hardware problems.
mborland likes this.
post #9093 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
yah I'm not sure - it's whatever the 7.1 track that came with force awakens.

I captured the Falcon riding through the downed Star Destroyer with the TIE in close pursuit for both. The difference between the disc and the rip was quite striking. The disc felt "alive" while the rip just felt flat.

Knowing how I rip discs I am certain that I ripped the 7.1 track which should have been the same one the disc played with although I did not check that. It might make sense if the disc used the 5.1 track that the whole sequence would have been louder? Not sure.
Ok so the track is a DTS HD MA 7.1 track not a Dolby one, the reason I asked is because Dolby uses metadata, or "flag" for dynamic range compression or DRC that DTS tracks don't have. Regarding Make MKV the so called ripping really can't alter the soundtrack in anyway, all it does really is to circumvent the copy protection and create a container[MKV] that both picture and sound will be placed to without the miscellaneous stuff like menus, non skip able trailers etc.. and extras [unless you select the latter]

Louder is not better, in fact it's the opposite in many cases, however if the dynamics are crushed and the overall loudness is soft, that is a sure sign of DRC which can be software or hardware or both. Your first order of things should be is to re-examine the rip, or re-rip and make sure you rip the same soundtrack as the one being loaded when you play the disc.

I have ripped a lot discs using Make MKV, and I play it back via the Shield using MrMc with the Plex add on stored on the Plex server on my PC, and never encountered the problem you have.
JRock3x8 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9094 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 524
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I have ripped a lot discs using Make MKV, and I play it back via the Shield using MrMc with the Plex add on stored on the Plex server on my PC, and never encountered the problem you have.

Ok well at least that is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9095 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
This question gets asked a lot. Archer75 gave you good info and agree with what he said. Many of us have both devices to fill multiple needs. The is no perfect device at the moment. The primary reason to get a Shield is if you have or will be ripping your own discs and want to maintain the uncompressed audio WITH Atmos or DTS:X metadata. If not then the ATV 4K is probably the better choice as is can do Dolby Vision, supports Atmos from streaming services (which are all lossy based on DD+ as mentioned), has better image upscaling and color space handling, and subjectively a better UI. It can still handle uncompressed audio from rips via 2 apps (Infuse or MrMC) but you will lose Atmos or DTS:X metadata. I primarily use my ATV 4K but when watching a ripped disc in my Plex library with Atmos or DTS: X I switch to the Shield.

Again, "uncompressed" is only the original PCM audio that exists on CD, and on handful of BD titles of early days, everything else is compressed either lossy or lossless.Lossless is just a container named after the method it was created, and used not just for reduced storage and bandwidth, but to carry metadata, which the original uncompressed PCM file can't. I suspect you know all this, but using the term "uncompressed" is technically and practically incorrect, and may confuse newbies or people with casual interest on the subject.
aaronwt likes this.

The Hun
post #9096 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Ideas on how to turn that off?

Is your volume set to fixed in Shield audio settings?
post #9097 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Settings: Display and sound- advanced setting- Dynamic range set to "Auto" which is the recommended by Shield.

That one is the setting for limited or full RGB, not for audio dynamic range
post #9098 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Again, "uncompressed" is only the original PCM audio that exists on CD, and on handful of BD titles of early days, everything else is compressed either lossy or lossless.Lossless is just a container named after the method it was created, and used not just for reduced storage and bandwidth, but to carry metadata, which the original uncompressed PCM file can't. I suspect you know all this, but using the term "uncompressed" is technically and practically incorrect, and may confuse newbies or people with casual interest on the subject.
You are right. Not even sure why used that term to be honest. I meant lossless. I was multitasking at work at the time. Probably a good thing my attention was on work rather than AVS.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #9099 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
You are right. Not even sure why used that term to be honest. I meant lossless. I was multitasking at work at the time. Probably a good thing my attention was on work rather than AVS.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #9100 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm trying to use Kodi and VLC media player to pass through Atmos and I can't seem to get either to work. I've enabled audio pass through on both. Is there some other setting I need to change? My files definitely have audio with the correct audio tracks. I have the Denon AVR-X8500H. If I use Amazon Prime I can get Atmos.
post #9101 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd2424 View Post
I'm trying to use Kodi and VLC media player to pass through Atmos and I can't seem to get either to work. I've enabled audio pass through on both. Is there some other setting I need to change? My files definitely have audio with the correct audio tracks. I have the Denon AVR-X8500H. If I use Amazon Prime I can get Atmos.
Within Kodi, settings, then System, be sure to have the user level set to "Expert", then in addition to enabling passthrough, be sure to have all of the audio options enabled which should be supported by your AVR.

Within the Video settings, be sure that "Sync Playback to display" is disabled, or you will not get any Lossless Audio output from any of your content.

VLC just has the one Passthrough option, so there are no additional settings to adjust within that program.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #9102 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Right. It doesn’t occur with all rips. It’s a movie-specific issue. I’ve experienced it a couple of times with extracting the Atmos track from UHD and inserting into HD MKV.

Seriously, give the fix a try, I’m betting it will fix your sync issue and save you time and money chasing non-existent ripping and hardware problems.
I can't get any of my UHD rips to play in VLC. The player either doesn't load the video or crashes. Strange since I can play them with the Shield or Roku 4K player without issue, other than the one with audio out of sync.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9103 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I can't get any of my UHD rips to play in VLC. The player either doesn't load the video or crashes. Strange since I can play them with the Shield or Roku 4K player without issue, other than the one with audio out of sync.
I've been using VLC with the current beta builds for the Shield to test SMB shares on my NAS. VLC plays them fine and fast.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9104 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I've been using VLC with the current beta builds for the Shield to test SMB shares on my NAS. VLC plays them fine and fast.
I'm referring to VLC on Windows 10. I need to be able to determine if the audio sync problem is constant across the entire movie, or if something goofed up with the rip. Yes, they will play in VLC on my Shield, although I mostly use Kodi or Plex.

Dan
post #9105 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvos View Post
That one is the setting for limited or full RGB, not for audio dynamic range
Yeah, that makes sense since the wording doesn't exactly goes with the audio compression terms, at least not in the conventional ways how it's been worded in the past. Thanks for the correction.

The Hun
post #9106 of 10808 Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Within Kodi, settings, then System, be sure to have the user level set to "Expert", then in addition to enabling passthrough, be sure to have all of the audio options enabled which should be supported by your AVR.

Within the Video settings, be sure that "Sync Playback to display" is disabled, or you will not get any Lossless Audio output from any of your content.

VLC just has the one Passthrough option, so there are no additional settings to adjust within that program.
Thanks I got it. Kodi is working. VLC doesn't but as long as I have Kodi then all is good. I would have never got that on my own lol. I know I've seen it before but couldn't find it with a search.
groove93 likes this.
post #9107 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

huh? Works for me enabled.
post #9108 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
huh? Works for me enabled.
This never worked for me and over in the Kodi Forums users had the same results.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219796

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 12-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
post #9109 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
This question gets asked a lot. Archer75 gave you good info and agree with what he said. Many of us have both devices to fill multiple needs. The is no perfect device at the moment. The primary reason to get a Shield is if you have or will be ripping your own discs and want to maintain the uncompressed audio WITH Atmos or DTS:X metadata. If not then the ATV 4K is probably the better choice as is can do Dolby Vision, supports Atmos from streaming services (which are all lossy based on DD+ as mentioned), has better image upscaling and color space handling, and subjectively a better UI. It can still handle uncompressed audio from rips via 2 apps (Infuse or MrMC) but you will lose Atmos or DTS:X metadata. I primarily use my ATV 4K but when watching a ripped disc in my Plex library with Atmos or DTS: X I switch to the Shield.
Yes subjective is key word. I would rank the UI from my ATV4k below my Shield TVs and Rokus. And then the remotes. I would rank the ATV 4k remote dead last and the Shield remote just above that.
I thought the Shield remote was the worst remote until I got the AtV 4k. The ATV remote is the worst remote I have ever used.

Fortunately I use Harmony remotes with them, so I rarely touch the stock remotes.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
azz7686 likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9110 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes subjective is key word. I would rank the UI from my ATV4k below my Shield TVs and Rokus. And then the remotes. I would rank the ATV 4k remote dead last and the Shield remote just above that.
I thought the Shield remote was the worst remote until I got the AtV 4k. The ATV remote is the worst remote I have ever used.

Fortunately I use Harmony remotes with them, so I rarely touch the stock remotes.

I have been using this Wechip remote with the Shield (note that there are a number of other Chinese clones sold under various brand names, all or most for under $20). I have found the keyboard feature on the reverse especially handy.

Like you, I never use any stock remotes, preferring a universal remote. Unfortunately, my Sony RMVLZ620 does not work with the Shield, which is why I purchased the Wechip.
aaronwt likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #9111 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

I fixed it. Should have remembered that kodi’s default audio settings are 2.0

Settings. System. Audio output. 7.1.

It was set at 2.0 so I was right my subs were dead. Lol.

Same sequence after the change is actually a touch louder than my
Xbox x.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 12-29-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #9112 of 10808 Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I fixed it. Should have remembered that kodi’s default audio settings are 2.0

Settings. System. Audio output. 7.1.

It was set at 2.0 so I was right my subs were dead. Lol.

You don't have passtrough with the Kodi settings from that pic and the changes that you made are only for transcoding, meaning no pasthrough. First, you have to click on "standard" in the bottom left corner until it gets to "expert," then you will have more options where you can enable passtrough for different audio formats.
mborland likes this.
post #9113 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvos View Post
You don't have passtrough with the Kodi settings from that pic and the changes that you made are only for transcoding, meaning no pasthrough. First, you have to click on "standard" in the bottom left corner until it gets to "expert," then you will have more options where you can enable passtrough for different audio formats.

I was able to enable pass through from the audio menu within the movie.

post #9114 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to enable pass through from the audio menu within the movie.

I would highly suggest following the instructions by @harvos . Yes Passthrough may be enabled, but there's more to it than just flipping one switch. Be sure that all supported formats are enabled as well. This will allow for your Receiver to decode all audio codecs depending on the content streamed.
stikle likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9115 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Since searching this thread for "HDR" is not allowed (3 letters too short), I figured I'd post my question instead and I apologize in advanced if it has already been answered.

I have my shield connected to a 4K non-HDR capable display (LG 84UB9800) and while 4k HDR material from Amazon and Netflix is properly tone mapped to display as regular SDR with regular colors as you would expect, playback of ripped 4K UHD titles with HDR via Emby shows the colors as being washed out. Playback of regular Blu-Ray titles look fine.

From the Emby forum, I understand the issue is with the Shield and that there is nothing they (Emby dev team) can to do address the issue. Does anyone here have any insight into when Nvidia might address this issue?

Btw, I also have a HTPC connected to the same TV (both are routed through a Denon AVR 6100 btw), and I have no issues playing back 4K UHD titles via Emby, so the issue definitely appear to be specific to the Shield.
post #9116 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
Since searching this thread for "HDR" is not allowed (3 letters too short), I figured I'd post my question instead and I apologize in advanced if it has already been answered.

I have my shield connected to a 4K non-HDR capable display (LG 84UB9800) and while 4k HDR material from Amazon and Netflix is properly tone mapped to display as regular SDR with regular colors as you would expect, playback of ripped 4K UHD titles with HDR via Emby shows the colors as being washed out. Playback of regular Blu-Ray titles look fine.

From the Emby forum, I understand the issue is with the Shield and that there is nothing they (Emby dev team) can to do address the issue. Does anyone here have any insight into when Nvidia might address this issue?

Btw, I also have a HTPC connected to the same TV (both are routed through a Denon AVR 6100 btw), and I have no issues playing back 4K UHD titles via Emby, so the issue definitely appear to be specific to the Shield.
This has to do with the Shield "currently" not able to adjust the colorspace settings depending on the content fed to it. As a result you may need to manually adjust the colorspace setting on your TV, or if your Shield is set to rgb Rec 709, you should be able to make adjustments in the Dynamic Range menu within the "Advanced" settings under Sound and Display.

Currently this is under development from the Devs over at Nvidia, and as of last night, some positive vibes are coming our way "hopefully".

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9117 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This never worked for me and over in the Kodi Forums users had the same results.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219796

That is all about refresh rates and playback speed not audio. Again, I get lossless audio with both settings on.
post #9118 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sync Playback to Display enabled.
Bladerunner 4k UHD Rip
Dolby Surround from Marantz Receiver

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9119 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sync Playback to Display disabled
Bladerunner UHD Rip
Dolby Atmos from Marantz Receiver

This has more to do with Android than anything else.

This also occurred when my Shield was attached to my Oppo 203's HDMI input.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 12-30-2018 at 07:40 AM.
post #9120 of 10808 Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well then it's equipment specific. When I have Atmos content my Samsung N950 soundbar flashes Dolby Atmos.

Last edited by Gary J; 12-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page