NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3133Likes

post #9481 of 10835 Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have an Apple TV 4k and a Sony 55X930D HDR10 tv. I'm interested in buying the Nvidia Shield TV. I won't be using Kodi or Plex, just for streaming from Vudu, Netflix, and Youtube 4k. I would like to know on these items:
I have both Shield and ATV4k. If you only want streaming services why not just use the Sony TV native apps?

Quote:
1. Is the 4k upscaling still subpar? I know that the ATV4k 4k upscaling is really good.
The ATV4k upscaling is said to be better. I think it really depends on the content and how you playback. ATV4k scales all content to 4k and does a good job. On the other hand, the Shield TV you can use MRMC or Kodi and play content in its native frame rate and have your TV handle the upscaling. If you do this then that ATV4k and Shield scaling are on par.

Quote:
2. How does the Nvidia Shield's HDR10 picture quality compare to Apple TV 4k Dolby Vision to fake HDR10 conversion?
I don't understand this question ATV4k will send Dolby Vision content if your TV is DV capable. It will send HDR10 content if it is HDR10 capable. Both devices handle HDR10 as it should.

Quote:
3. Is the audio quality output better from the shield than the ATV4k?
Both devices can play lossless audio. The ATV4k sends lossless audio as LPCM and the Shield sends as Bitstream. The quality of the lossless audio on both devices is as it should. However the Shield using bitstream can play local Atmos content where as ATV4k cannot play local Audio Object content.

Quote:
4. Is the colorspace issue fixed?
The auto switching of color space has been an issue from many. However, owners with Sony, LG and Vizio TV's report the colorspace conversion is handled appropriately on the TV itself and is a non issue. That being said other owners are not as fortunate. The latest Oreo update allows for this conversion to be implemented and is currently in Beta and can be enabled on updated devices if so choose.

Quote:
5. Does it have frame rate matching and dynamic range match like the ATV4k?
Frame and Range matching have been supported but unlike the ATV4K is is handled on the application level and it is up to each app developer to handle appropriately. The more popular apps such as Kodi, MRMC and Plex (to an extent) currently support both features.
TheMach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 10835 Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
My series 6 TCL also has no issues with the colorspace switching from the Shield.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9483 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked and answered but you know, this is a VERY long thread. I read through the last 10 pages and didn’t see anything about it so figured I’d just ask.

I see that with the latest update Atmos support was added to the Prime Video app. I try to play the UHD version of the Jack Ryan to get the Atmos track, but I only get DD+. The chain is Shield to Denon 4400X to Projector. The projector is not 4K, but that shouldn’t matter, should it?

FWIW, if I connect my FireTV to the same hdmi port on the receiver using the same hdmi cable that I use with the shield, the Atmos track plays as expected.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked and answered but you know, this is a VERY long thread. I read through the last 10 pages and didn’t see anything about it so figured I’d just ask.

I see that with the latest update Atmos support was added to the Prime Video app. I try to play the UHD version of the Jack Ryan to get the Atmos track, but I only get DD+. The chain is Shield to Denon 4400X to Projector. The projector is not 4K, but that shouldn’t matter, should it?

FWIW, if I connect my FireTV to the same hdmi port on the receiver using the same hdmi cable that I use with the shield, the Atmos track plays as expected.

Any ideas?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-not-working-/

Seems like you aren’t the only person experiencing issues. Apparently a buggy Amazon app is not unique to the Apple TV. I just don’t understand how a company like Amazon can’t make an app that works properly. Rumor is they are preparing a major revamp to the app, but who know when that will happen.
giomania likes this.
post #9485 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Quote:

Any ideas?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-not-working-/

Seems like you aren’t the only person experiencing issues. Apparently a buggy Amazon app is not unique to the Apple TV. I just don’t understand how a company like Amazon can’t make an app that works properly. Rumor is they are preparing a major revamp to the app, but who know when that will happen.
lol - the last post on that exact page is me asking the same question. I received 0 responses there so turned the trusty and reliable avsforum. I’d love to think that it’s just a problem with the app and not a setting or something that I have wrong.
post #9486 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Any ideas?
I got Atmos/DD+ displayed on my Yammy AVR.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
post #9487 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Amazon app works fine for me too.
post #9488 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
lol - the last post on that exact page is me asking the same question. I received 0 responses there so turned the trusty and reliable avsforum. I’d love to think that it’s just a problem with the app and not a setting or something that I have wrong.
They (Amazon) have in the past turned the ATMOS audio off at their end. For example, when Jack Ryan first came out my wife and I watched it and the ATMOS worked fine. About a month later someone on another forum I follow reported that they were unable to play it with ATMOS. When I went and checked it was not there and a few others confirmed it. Then about a week later it was back. When I get some time I’ll check to see if it’s there. Be aware that on some streaming devices (FireTV for example) it may not automatically play the ATMOS track. You need to turn it on. Play the show, press pause and scroll across the bottom and click on options then audio. If ATMOS is available you will be able to select it.
groove93 likes this.

Mark
post #9489 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just checked and I was able to play Jack Ryan 4k HDR with ATMOS on both my Shield and my FireTV Stick 4k so Amazon definitely has it turned on on there end. Make sure that you are picking the right version (4k is the one with ATMOS) as they have them separately.

Mark
post #9490 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Just checked and I was able to play Jack Ryan 4k HDR with ATMOS on both my Shield and my FireTV Stick 4k so Amazon definitely has it turned on on there end. Make sure that you are picking the right version (4k is the one with ATMOS) as they have them separately.
I am definitely choosing the 4K version of the show, but have not tried to select a different audio stream. Will try that now. Report back finding shortly.
post #9491 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am definitely choosing the 4K version of the show, but have not tried to select a different audio stream. Will try that now. Report back finding shortly.
You don’t have to select anything on the Shield, in fact I don’t think it even has that option. You only need to check that when using the FireTV.
mborland likes this.

Mark
post #9492 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 PM

So this is what I see. Nowhere to choose a different audio track. Clicking the "CC" only allows me to change subtitle settings. When I choose the "Direct" audio option in the Denon, I get the same thing. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	2514612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	2514614  
post #9493 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You don’t have to select anything on the Shield, in fact I don’t think it even has that option. You only need to check that when using the FireTV.
Oh ok. When I use the FireTV, the ATMOS track plays fine. I just can't get it to play on the Shield. I know this sounds like a simple... "so just use the firetv then" scenario... lol but the firetv is in another room and the shield is what I plan to use in the home theater. I love this box, just don't understand why this isn't working.
post #9494 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
So this is what I see. Nowhere to choose a different audio track. Clicking the "CC" only allows me to change subtitle settings. When I choose the "Direct" audio option in the Denon, I get the same thing. Any suggestions?
For Amazon on the Shield, there's no indication whether or not a title has Atmos. You'll have to look at your AVR or Soundbar, or if one of these devices has an App, you can check to see what's currently playing.

So yeah, it's going to say 5.1 with no indication of what actual sound is playing.

Now for an app such as Vudu, you should see "Atmos" as an option on one of the titles you pick.

For Kodi/SPMC/MrMC and Plex, you may just see Dolby TrueHD or DTSMA, but depending on the title, you may receive Dolby Atmos or DTS-X.
enzed likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #9495 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
For Amazon on the Shield, there's no indication whether or not a title has Atmos. You'll have to look at your AVR or Soundbar, or if one of these devices has an App, you can check to see what's currently playing.

So yeah, it's going to say 5.1 with no indication of what actual sound is playing.

Now for an app such as Vudu, you should see "Atmos" as an option on one of the titles you pick.

For Kodi/SPMC/MrMC and Plex, you may just see Dolby TrueHD or DTSMA, but depending on the title, you may receive Dolby Atmos or DTS-X.
So on the second attachment, it shows what channels are being played. That's from the receiver itself. So I would see the same thing if I looked in the app on my phone. If I play an ATMOS enabled track on the Shield using Plex, the audio is correct. So I know the Shield is capable of outputting the ATMOS and the receiver is capable of playing it. Just not sure why it's not doing it in the Amazon Prime Video app. I really want to finish watching the show in ATMOS without bringing the FireTV up and down the stairs. lol
post #9496 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh ok. When I use the FireTV, the ATMOS track plays fine. I just can't get it to play on the Shield. I know this sounds like a simple... "so just use the firetv then" scenario... lol but the firetv is in another room and the shield is what I plan to use in the home theater. I love this box, just don't understand why this isn't working.
Double check your settings on both the Shield and whatever device you are playing the sound thru. As another trouble shooting step I would take the Shield in to the room where you are successfully getting the ATMOS sound when using your FireTV and literally plug the Shield into the exact same HDMI cable as your FireTV. It is dependent on the correct handshake taking place so that the Shield knows the equipment is capable of ATMOS. HDMI handshakes are supposed to be ‘hot plug capable’ but I have seen instances where you needed to do complete power cycles with sll the equipment to get it to work. Rare, but I have seen it happen.

Mark
post #9497 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
Quote:
So on the second attachment, it shows what channels are being played. That's from the receiver itself. So I would see the same thing if I looked in the app on my phone. If I play an ATMOS enabled track on the Shield using Plex, the audio is correct. So I know the Shield is capable of outputting the ATMOS and the receiver is capable of playing it. Just not sure why it's not doing it in the Amazon Prime Video app. I really want to finish watching the show in ATMOS without bringing the FireTV up and down the stairs. lol
Have you tried rebooting the SHield? I ran into this issue a few weeks ago with my FireTV 4K stick. I went to check the audio tracks and changed them. Once I changed them I could not get it to play Atmos from JAck Ryan. It would only show up as 5.1 DD+. Even though my other FireTV 4K stick was fine playing Atmos from Jack Ryan. As well as my Shields and ROkus. But once I rebooted the FireTv 4K stick, I was able to get Atmos from JAck Ryan again.
giomania likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9498 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Amazon is really the worst in this regard. Not only don’t they list ATMOS when it is but the fact that they have separate listing for the same shows for 4k and non 4k that you as the user have to find but sometimes they actually make it difficult to find the right version. They really need to get it all fixed.
giomania, groove93 and atc98092 like this.

Mark
post #9499 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just noticed that your OS menu is the exact one I have on my Marantz AVR, but I rarely use it. I had to dig out my Marantz remote to access it.

This is what my AVR displays when Jack Ryan is played on Amazon Prime:

My Shield is connected directly to the AVR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9500 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For reference this is a screenshot of the web interface of my AVR.

This is the HDMI Setup menu.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9501 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Double check your settings on both the Shield and whatever device you are playing the sound thru. As another trouble shooting step I would take the Shield in to the room where you are successfully getting the ATMOS sound when using your FireTV and literally plug the Shield into the exact same HDMI cable as your FireTV. It is dependent on the correct handshake taking place so that the Shield knows the equipment is capable of ATMOS. HDMI handshakes are supposed to be ‘hot plug capable’ but I have seen instances where you needed to do complete power cycles with sll the equipment to get it to work. Rare, but I have seen it happen.
I will go try a power cycle now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Have you tried rebooting the SHield? I ran into this issue a few weeks ago with my FireTV 4K stick. I went to check the audio tracks and changed them. Once I changed them I could not get it to play Atmos from JAck Ryan. It would only show up as 5.1 DD+. Even though my other FireTV 4K stick was fine playing Atmos from Jack Ryan. As well as my Shields and ROkus. But once I rebooted the FireTv 4K stick, I was able to get Atmos from JAck Ryan again.
This is exactly the reverse of what I've done. When the Shield was not giving me the ATMOS track, I plugged the FireTV into the exact same HDMI cable as the Shield and get ATMOS. Switch it back to the Shield and only get DD+. So frustrating!

Quote:
Just noticed that your OS menu is the exact one I have on my Marantz AVR, but I rarely use it. I had to dig out my Marantz remote to access it.

This is what my AVR displays when Jack Ryan is played on Amazon Prime:

My Shield is connected directly to the AVR.

Yep. Marantz/Denon. Same stuff. This is getting really frustrating.
post #9502 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@scotty3x3

In your screen captures, I noticed that the Sound is set to "Direct".

Can you change that to "Auto"?

I changed my AVR Sound to "Direct" and Atmos disappeared.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9503 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
@scotty3x3

In your screen captures, I noticed that the Sound is set to "Direct".

Can you change that to "Auto"?

I changed my AVR Sound to "Direct" and Atmos disappeared.
Rebooted the box... same thing. When I change the sound to "Auto", this is what I see. Still not ATMOS though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2337.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	2514638  
post #9504 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I forgot I had responded to that thread as well. As stated earlier, Amazon seemed to have "flipped the switch" and then turned it off, then back on again.

I do recall clearing the cache on my Shield, then logging back in to my Amazon account. Then Atmos worked for Jack Ryan. I didn't uninstall or downgrade the app.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9505 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rebooted the box... same thing. When I change the sound to "Auto", this is what I see. Still not ATMOS though.
This will be long shot but it’s all I got left...😀 Are you certain that your Prime Video app on the Shield is updated to the latest version? It should be 4.10.3. And as someone else recommended, clear cache, clear data, force stop and log out log in on Prime. If that still doesn’t get you there I’m flat out of ideas.

Mark
post #9506 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And one more. On my Denon I have to select ATMOS as the sound mode, even though the ATMOS signal is coming in, to get it to show up correctly. I have a “Movie Modes” button that brings up an OSD that lets you toggle thru all the sound modes and you need to select ATMOS. And it is specific to the HDMI input being used. Now I’m out of ideas...😃

Mark
post #9507 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
And one more. On my Denon I have to select ATMOS as the sound mode, even though the ATMOS signal is coming in, to get it to show up correctly. I have a “Movie Modes” button that brings up an OSD that lets you toggle thru all the sound modes and you need to select ATMOS. And it is specific to the HDMI input being used. Now I’m out of ideas...😃
Jack Ryan in Atmos works just fine for me on amazon app on the shield, no tweaking necessary. Have a Denon AVRX6300H and a Sony 940e.

In fact, i was really really surprised that it just worked. And, wow. The sound is so much better than other content that I'm now depressed that i finished the series this past weekend. I could not believe how great everything sounded and probably heard my wife say "just shut up already" a dozen times while watching...
Gary J and mjwagner like this.
post #9508 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Just tried Jack Ryan on my Shield with my Yamaha TSR-7810, and my receiver just displayed DD+ but not Atmos. When I tried it on my Apple TV 4K it displayed 'Atmos/PCM'. So it doesn't seem to be working for me on the Shield either.
post #9509 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbaggins View Post
Jack Ryan in Atmos works just fine for me on amazon app on the shield, no tweaking necessary. Have a Denon AVRX6300H and a Sony 940e.

In fact, i was really really surprised that it just worked. And, wow. The sound is so much better than other content that I'm now depressed that i finished the series this past weekend. I could not believe how great everything sounded and probably heard my wife say "just shut up already" a dozen times while watching...
I have the x6400h but I don’t keep it on “auto” so have to set the sound mode for what I want. It is a great single amp 7.2.4 ATMOS AVR.

Mark
post #9510 of 10835 Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Mine wont play Atmos soundtrack regaurdless, when watching Jack Ryan on my Shield...

Sorry for the crappy tablet pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1548207543236523694605.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2514722   Click image for larger version

Name:	1548207521067964021422.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2514724  

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page