NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4241Likes

post #9811 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
The android MotoGP app definitely has casting, but there's a caveat. Last time I looked, the output was gimped at 720p. I use my HTPC to get the legit 1080p60 stream from a browser. That's really the best way to do it. So for you, stream it from Safari on your iPad to the Shield's chromecast -- can't say how since I don't do mac.
By way of update, I was able to find and load the MotoGP app on to the Shield. It appears that all I have to do is sign up and pay for the video feed, and then log into the app. Is the app itself limited to 720p, if I don't need to cast it?

I'm asking the questions because I haven't paid for the video feed yet; I'm still trying to determine if I'm going to get a quality picture through a projector with a 120" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Perfect! Will try this out tonight. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Hey, sorry if I missed this --- too many popular words in the search.

Can someone tell me what the Shield does when playing back 4k content to a 1080p display?

Does it correctly handle the color spaces?

Generally, is this a good result?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
In my experience, it does not. Colors are washed out. This is on Plex and Kodi. I would like to see this work too so, I don’t have to rip both 4K and 1080p versions of a movie.
It does handle correct color space switching with the latest software update of 7.2.2 but you have to enable it. You will need to enable developer options on your shield.

Go to settings. Scroll down to About and click it. Now scroll down to Build. Now start clicking on it. I think you need to click it 11 times to enable developer options. Now, after you've enabled developer go back to the home screen in settings and scroll down to developer options and click it. Now you want to scroll down to the section on HDMI. First thing you'll see is colorimetry. You want to click on that to enable auto color space switching. Last thing is to go back to home settings and restart. Now you're all set. Enjoy.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
dlbsyst likes this.
post #9813 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Perfect! Will try this out tonight. Thanks.
No problem. Let us know if it works correctly. I have never tried to output 4K content to 1080P since my Sony Z9D accepts a 4K signal. Hopefully it works correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9814 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1254 View Post
By way of update, I was able to find and load the MotoGP app on to the Shield. It appears that all I have to do is sign up and pay for the video feed, and then log into the app. Is the app itself limited to 720p, if I don't need to cast it?
That's hilarious. It was just released today. So I couldn't say what the resolution is until I install it and check. As for how good it looks at full bitrate -- it kinda varies in quality based on the camera being used. Some shots are kinda bad, but the race cameras are pretty good overall, esp. since it's 50 or 60fps.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #9815 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
It does handle correct color space switching with the latest software update of 7.2.2 but you have to enable it. You will need to enable developer options on your shield.

Go to settings. Scroll down to About and click it. Now scroll down to Build. Now start clicking on it. I think you need to click it 11 times to enable developer options. Now, after you've enabled developer go back to the home screen in settings and scroll down to developer options and click it. Now you want to scroll down to the section on HDMI. First thing you'll see is colorimetry. You want to click on that to enable auto color space switching. Last thing is to go back to home settings and restart. Now you're all set. Enjoy.
I enabled it in developer options and it still looked washed out. Everything but, a 4K file to a 1080p display looks great. I will look and see if I've got something set wrong. Thanks.
post #9816 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
That's hilarious. It was just released today. So I couldn't say what the resolution is until I install it and check. As for how good it looks at full bitrate -- it kinda varies in quality based on the camera being used. Some shots are kinda bad, but the race cameras are pretty good overall, esp. since it's 50 or 60fps.
I'll give it a go and see. Having not been able to watch a race for years, I'm really looking forward to it!
post #9817 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I enabled it in developer options and it still looked washed out. Everything but, a 4K file to a 1080p display looks great. I will look and see if I've got something set wrong. Thanks.
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. This option in developer options is to enable the native color space of the file you are playing or streaming so maybe that is a bad idea if you are sending it to a 1080P TV? I guess you might 'want' the Shield to change the REC2020 color space of a 4K file to REC709 so your TV will display it correctly. Maybe it depends on what you TV can handle? I'm not sure.
post #9818 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Nvidia still hasn't fixed the black screen problem so I had to buy a cheap Android s905 box to run Kodi on. Frustrating.

FYI: If you have Comcast and want to get HBO go working, just refresh the web validation page a few times until it validates your Shield. It works.
giomania and psuKinger like this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #9819 of 13311 Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Odd question.

I'm using my shield on a hotel. I had originally logged into the wifi and selected 4 days. The length of my stay.

The wifi sucked so I upgraded on my phone to the enhanced. Apparently you have to log in again and seller enhanced on every device.

I can't get the shield to actually forget the network. I've hit forget a bunch of times. But it always auto logs in which keeps me on the slow interrent.

The tech support gave me a URL to go to re login. But with just the standard Shield remote chrome is useless so I have no way to type in the address.

Any shots in the dark here?
post #9820 of 13311 Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Odd question.

I'm using my shield on a hotel. I had originally logged into the wifi and selected 4 days. The length of my stay.

The wifi sucked so I upgraded on my phone to the enhanced. Apparently you have to log in again and seller enhanced on every device.

I can't get the shield to actually forget the network. I've hit forget a bunch of times. But it always auto logs in which keeps me on the slow interrent.

The tech support gave me a URL to go to re login. But with just the standard Shield remote chrome is useless so I have no way to type in the address.

Any shots in the dark here?
There are apps you can put on your (Android?) phone that will let you type on the Shield with the QWERTY keyboard on your phone...? I'm not sure if that fixes your problem or not, but it would help you type some text if that's what you need.

The "official" Android TV remote control app (the Blue one from Google) never worked well for me. At all. But there's a black-and-white one named something similar, like "Android TV Remote," that is a really great app for controlling shield by your phone, AND works quite well for typing text from your phone to your Shield...
beerhunt likes this.
post #9821 of 13311 Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
There are apps you can put on your (Android?) phone that will let you type on the Shield with the QWERTY keyboard on your phone...? I'm not sure if that fixes your problem or not, but it would help you type some text if that's what you need.

The "official" Android TV remote control app (the Blue one from Google) never worked well for me. At all. But there's a black-and-white one named something similar, like "Android TV Remote," that is a really great app for controlling shield by your phone, AND works quite well for typing text from your phone to your Shield...
Thanks, I have the official Shield app (using iOS) but all of those apps require wifi. I never considered Bluetooth, maybe that would work. But I was able to solve it I had a wireless mouse in my bag that works with the shield.
beerhunt likes this.
post #9822 of 13311 Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding the incorrect color space conversion when playing 4k files (from Plex or Kodi) on a 1080p display, do you guys know if this would affect the Netflix and YouTube apps as well?

I've got a 1080p projector which I use to watch the 4k videos on YouTube and of course most of the shows I watch on Netflix are 4k.

Will these display correctly?

Thx!

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #9823 of 13311 Old 03-01-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. This option in developer options is to enable the native color space of the file you are playing or streaming so maybe that is a bad idea if you are sending it to a 1080P TV? I guess you might 'want' the Shield to change the REC2020 color space of a 4K file to REC709 so your TV will display it correctly. Maybe it depends on what you TV can handle? I'm not sure.
Yeah sounds like hes asking about hdr to sdr conversion, which I have no idea about, or what handles that correctly, maybe just the oppo?
post #9824 of 13311 Old 03-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Yeah sounds like hes asking about hdr to sdr conversion, which I have no idea about, or what handles that correctly, maybe just the oppo?
Yeah, I'm just not sure exactly what the Nvidia Shield can and can't do as far as format and color space conversions. I guess one can just try it out and go from there. I have a Panasonic UB820 that can convert HDR to SDR and do it pretty much perfectly, from what I hear. It's a excellent player for disc based media but it has very little support for file playback though, especially audio support.
post #9825 of 13311 Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Hey all, i have a shield Pro, 95% its playing pandora/Spotify, is there a particular setting to assure its optimum audio ?

Thanx

Its a 4K system

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #9826 of 13311 Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Hey all, i have a shield Pro, 95% its playing pandora/Spotify, is there a particular setting to assure its optimum audio ?

Thanx

Its a 4K system
Isn't Pandora and Spotify just music? It should be sending out stereo PCM audio like other devices do.

I know in pandora there is an option in the settings to have higher quality audio streamed. I guess Spotify would have a similar option.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9827 of 13311 Old 03-02-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I am a Zappiti owner considering a move to the Shield. The Zappiti doesn't send the MaxCLL/MaxFALL data out for my JVC projector to do it's auto tone mapping (not to mention some handshake issues). I read recently the shield now does this, so I am interested.

What are the know limitations with the Shield?

I need Atmos/DTS-X capability. 4K/HDR capability. 3D capability. Ability to stream from other network devices. Ability to control with iRule. Probably more I am not thinking of.

Also, does it have some kind of poster wall that works well and isn't a total pain to set up or use?

I don't use plex.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #9828 of 13311 Old 03-02-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
No problem. Let us know if it works correctly. I have never tried to output 4K content to 1080P since my Sony Z9D accepts a 4K signal. Hopefully it works correctly.
Unfortunately this doesn't help with my issue. Rather, based on some research, it's designed to help with the exact opposite problem.

I was trying for BT.2020 content converted to 709. This doesn't do that.

Rather, this appears to help TVs that really only display BT.2020 to display 709.

Thanks for the suggestion though! It sounded promising.

... Altan
post #9829 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately this doesn't help with my issue. Rather, based on some research, it's designed to help with the exact opposite problem.

I was trying for BT.2020 content converted to 709. This doesn't do that.

Rather, this appears to help TVs that really only display BT.2020 to display 709.

Thanks for the suggestion though! It sounded promising.

... Altan
You're welcome. Sorry it didn't work out. Let us know if you get it sorted.
post #9830 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
So if Atmos works with the shield playing Netflix watching The Punisher season 2. I only get DD+ not Atmos?

What setting needs changed for this I know it works on my xBox one.

Spoiler!
post #9831 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Also it is playing in HDR, and the receiver is in auto mode for surround and it is DD+ 5.1, I already tried the clear data in apps restarted it and logged back in but no Atmos.
This is plugged directly into my 3070 also with same upgraded cables my Apple tv4 and xbox1 and Oppo 203 are using.

Spoiler!
post #9832 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Also it is playing in HDR, and the receiver is in auto mode for surround and it is DD+ 5.1, I already tried the clear data in apps restarted it and logged back in but no Atmos.
This is plugged directly into my 3070 also with same upgraded cables my Apple tv4 and xbox1 and Oppo 203 are using.
AFAIK the NetFlix app on the Sheild doesn’t support ATMOS yet. It is not a limitation of the Shield itself. The NetFlix app needs to be updated by NetFlix.

Mark
post #9833 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
AFAIK the NetFlix app on the Sheild doesn’t support ATMOS yet. It is not a limitation of the Shield itself. The NetFlix app needs to be updated by NetFlix.
Well that sucks actually been googling it and there's a petition to sign and other stuff I just found.
Is it that hard to do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spoiler!
post #9834 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am a Zappiti owner considering a move to the Shield. The Zappiti doesn't send the MaxCLL/MaxFALL data out for my JVC projector to do it's auto tone mapping (not to mention some handshake issues). I read recently the shield now does this, so I am interested.

What are the know limitations with the Shield?

I need Atmos/DTS-X capability. 4K/HDR capability. 3D capability. Ability to stream from other network devices. Ability to control with iRule. Probably more I am not thinking of.

Also, does it have some kind of poster wall that works well and isn't a total pain to set up or use?

I don't use plex.
Anyone? I looked at plex and saw it doesn't handle ISO or BDMV structure, so that's out. Not ripping half my collection again.

Kodi has some issue passing Atmos, correct?

What other options are there for a poster wall? I think the device will play my files how I want, I just need the right solution for organizing and presenting them.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #9835 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Anyone? I looked at plex and saw it doesn't handle ISO or BDMV structure, so that's out. Not ripping half my collection again.

Kodi has some issue passing Atmos, correct?

What other options are there for a poster wall? I think the device will play my files how I want, I just need the right solution for organizing and presenting them.
I'm pretty sure Kodi will read ISO and BDMV structure, it just can't do full blu-ray menus. It will do its best to select the correct playlist. Kodi will pass Atmos and DTS:X without issue. Shield handles HDR10 and 4K just fine (no HDR10+ or Dolby vision support though). MrMC is another good app that is a Kodi fork so very similar in functionality. Other popular apps are Plex and Emby. Plex definitely doesn't support folder/ISO format though. I also don't use 3D, so I can't speak for that. You might find some good info here: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
giomania and beerhunt like this.
post #9836 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Well that sucks actually been googling it and there's a petition to sign and other stuff I just found.
Is it that hard to do?

To me it seems like there is some behind the scenes deal presently for certain smart tvs to have atmos capability. I’m sure when that expires atmos will be in the netflix app.
azz7686 likes this.
post #9837 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post
To me it seems like there is some behind the scenes deal presently for certain smart tvs to have atmos capability. I’m sure when that expires atmos will be in the netflix app.
Truly makes a lot of sense and hopefully it's up sooner than later!

Spoiler!
post #9838 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all, I have my 2017 shield connected to a Vizio P65-F1 (4K HDR) tv. I rip my 1080p BR movies to M2TS/MKV files and use PLEX (on shield) to watch them. My question is, what's the general consensus on color space when watching 1080p rec. 709 content? Is everyone manually switching the shield to 8/10-bit 709? Are you switching the resolution to 1080p as well? I'm currently using the recommended 4K 10-bit rec. 2020 but I feel like the colors are a bit washed out.

TV: Vizio P65-F1 -Receiver: Marantz SR6013 - Mains: Polk RTi10 - Center: Polk CSi5 - Surrounds: Polk f/xi3 dipole/bipole - Atmos front .2: Klipsch R-41SA - Sub: Polk PSW505 - Oppo BDP-93 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
post #9839 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
Hello all, I have my 2017 shield connected to a Vizio P65-F1 (4K HDR) tv. I rip my 1080p BR movies to M2TS/MKV files and use PLEX (on shield) to watch them. My question is, what's the general consensus on color space when watching 1080p rec. 709 content? Is everyone manually switching the shield to 8/10-bit 709? Are you switching the resolution to 1080p as well? I'm currently using the recommended 4K 10-bit rec. 2020 but I feel like the colors are a bit washed out.
7.2.2 added color space switching, see here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...upgrade-7-2-2/

Kodi, MrMC, and Emby support resolution switching. Whether you want to switch resolutions is up to your personal taste.
giomania and Tighe like this.
post #9840 of 13311 Old 03-03-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post
There was, at least for Netflix. There was an exclusive arrangement between Netflix and LG for TVs and Microsoft for the Xbox to offer Atmos. From what I've heard, that agreement has expired, but Netflix hasn't been in a rush to roll it out to other platforms.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
nvidia shield remotes , onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page