NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3032Likes

post #9901 of 10569 Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 105
My remote will not connect under any circumstance after the latest update. Any ideas? Its a 2015 model. I’ve “forgotten” the remote and now it will not see the remote when attempting to re-pair. I’ve restarted the Shield several times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10569 Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
My remote will not connect under any circumstance after the latest update. Any ideas? Its a 2015 model. I’ve “forgotten” the remote and now it will not see the remote when attempting to re-pair. I’ve restarted the Shield several times.
Do you happen to have access to another bluetooth remote or keyboard to test pairing? For example, I use a first-gen FireTV Stick remote as a spare to control the living room TV from my office... if you have something like that, or even a bluetooth keyboard or mouse, laying around you can see if it will pair. It won't tell you 100% if it's the remote or the update, but it might give you some insight and also give you a method to control it while you research further for a fix.

Also, change the batteries.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #9903 of 10569 Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My remote would not work after the most recent update as well. I unplugged the shield and waited 10 seconds or so and plugged it back in. Worked after that.
beerhunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9904 of 10569 Old 03-15-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Do you happen to have access to another bluetooth remote or keyboard to test pairing? For example, I use a first-gen FireTV Stick remote as a spare to control the living room TV from my office... if you have something like that, or even a bluetooth keyboard or mouse, laying around you can see if it will pair. It won't tell you 100% if it's the remote or the update, but it might give you some insight and also give you a method to control it while you research further for a fix.

Also, change the batteries.
Will try that, thanks. Remote has built-in rechargeable battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu ray boy View Post
My remote would not work after the most recent update as well. I unplugged the shield and waited 10 seconds or so and plugged it back in. Worked after that.
I did that but, maybe plugged back in too quick. I'll try it again. Thanks!
post #9905 of 10569 Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Just a quick question but how would ya'll compare the Netflix video quality on the Shield with using the Netflix app on a 4K Bluray player?

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #9906 of 10569 Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. Can anyone tell me when the SHIELD started converting "AAC" codecs to DD+ using the native built in Plex app? And why is it doing this now when it didn't before?

Before, on my AVR (Denon) whenever I played a movie with an "AAC" codec it showed up as "Multi Channel In" & the input source would say PCM... now it's DD+ with the input source showing Dolby... don't know if this is better/worse or a non issue as it just may very well be a 1:1 trade-off with no noticeable difference in sound quality.

Anyways, if I play the same exact AAC file in Kodi via the Plex plugin then my AVR displays the correct "Multi Channel In" information & not DD+ like it does on the built in native Plex app that came with the SHIELD.

Any help/explanation is greatly appreciated, thanks!
post #9907 of 10569 Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Just a quick question but how would ya'll compare the Netflix video quality on the Shield with using the Netflix app on a 4K Bluray player?
I usually use my PS4 Pro to stream Netflix as I find it does a better job then the Shield. I find the Shield to be terrible at up-scaling so I will only use it to play native 4K material.
post #9908 of 10569 Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I usually use my PS4 Pro to stream Netflix as I find it does a better job then the Shield. I find the Shield to be terrible at up-scaling so I will only use it to play native 4K material.
Well right now I use my Samsung M9500 UHD player for Netflix/Amazon Prime and only use the Shield for Plex of my ripped media.
For some reason the Plex app on the Samsung can't play any of the 4K rips without constant buffering.

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #9909 of 10569 Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreMarceaux View Post
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. Can anyone tell me when the SHIELD started converting "AAC" codecs to DD+ using the native built in Plex app? And why is it doing this now when it didn't before?

Before, on my AVR (Denon) whenever I played a movie with an "AAC" codec it showed up as "Multi Channel In" & the input source would say PCM... now it's DD+ with the input source showing Dolby... don't know if this is better/worse or a non issue as it just may very well be a 1:1 trade-off with no noticeable difference in sound quality.

Anyways, if I play the same exact AAC file in Kodi via the Plex plugin then my AVR displays the correct "Multi Channel In" information & not DD+ like it does on the built in native Plex app that came with the SHIELD.

Any help/explanation is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Apologies for the potentially dumb questions, but:
1) Are you talking about listening to (2-channel) music or watching (5+ channel) video?
I'm only familiar with AAC codecs when it comes to 2-channel music... and I've only ever seen DD+ used for 5+ channel videos...

2) Is the DD+ content outputting to your Front Left-Right's or is it in all of your surround channels too?
post #9910 of 10569 Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Apologies for the potentially dumb questions, but:
1) Are you talking about listening to (2-channel) music or watching (5+ channel) video?
I'm only familiar with AAC codecs when it comes to 2-channel music... and I've only ever seen DD+ used for 5+ channel videos...

2) Is the DD+ content outputting to your Front Left-Right's or is it in all of your surround channels too?
Not dumb questions at all
  1. Not music, I don't use Plex to listen to music, only to watch movies and TV shows from my personal library
  2. All speakers

This should make it easier. I would rip Blu-rays that I owned which at the time weren't offering digital releases yet. The Lord of the Rings trilogy for example was one of them. When I initially ripped the file it was with its uncompressed DTS-ES 6.1 audio. The file was also huge, like 40GB or something. In order to save some hard drive space I started reconverting them. Instead of leaving the audio "untouched" I compressed them using the AAC format, this would take my 40GB file down to something more manageable like 15GB. I honestly can't tell a difference in sound quality, & with the amount of space I save, I couldn't be happier.

My issue with the default native Plex app that comes on the SHIELD is that it's now converting the AAC file to DD+. Before, any file that had AAC would display as "Multi Channel In" on my Denon and would display as PCM & also show which speakers were being used. In this case it's my L, C, R, SR, SL, SBL & SBR. Everything sounds the same as if it were still DTS-ES 6.1, with the extra speaker that's supposed to be the back center in 6.1 being distributed to the SBL & SBR respectively as it should be doing.

But now, whenever I play any movie such as LOTR that has been re-encoded with AAC through the native Plex app, my Denon it now displays DD+ instead of "Multi Channel In" with Dolby being the sound source naturally and not PCM. It's really not that big of a deal since everything still plays and sounds the exact same as if it's never been re-encoded. I was just wondering why this happening, and when did it start. It's especially perplexing to me since I can take those same AAC movies and play them through Kodi (via the Plex plugin) and then my Denon shows "Multi Channel In" & PCM as the sound source like it has done for years.

Maybe the DD+ is an upgrade, I don't really know... it could just be a 1:1 trade-off, and now the native Plex app just converts AAC movie encodes to DD+
post #9911 of 10569 Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Will try that, thanks. Remote has built-in rechargeable battery.

I did that but, maybe plugged back in too quick. I'll try it again. Thanks!
Just download the phone app for android tv. You will be able to control the UI and get it repaired.
post #9912 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Tru-HD and DTS-HD Passthrough?

Guys

I'm getting a shield tomorrow to replace my Amazon boxes, recently using the 4K stick because the firestick won't passthrough content with DD Tru-HD or DTS-hd audio. Tried many playerse including SPMC, Kodi, etc. My AVR is a Marantz 7012 that show/plays HD audio fine fro a Blu-Ray disc so I'm hoping it's the Amazon devices. How should I configure the shield to guarantee the HD audio is making it to the AVR?

thx

bob
post #9913 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Guys

I'm getting a shield tomorrow to replace my Amazon boxes, recently using the 4K stick because the firestick won't passthrough content with DD Tru-HD or DTS-hd audio. Tried many playerse including SPMC, Kodi, etc. My AVR is a Marantz 7012 that show/plays HD audio fine fro a Blu-Ray disc so I'm hoping it's the Amazon devices. How should I configure the shield to guarantee the HD audio is making it to the AVR?

thx

bob
Shouldn't be hard. Plex/Emby/Kodi/MrMC all have options in settings to pass the HD audio to your AVR. Should be easy to verify on your AVR.
post #9914 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Shouldn't be hard. Plex/Emby/Kodi/MrMC all have options in settings to pass the HD audio to your AVR. Should be easy to verify on your AVR.
Thanks, my Kodi version is 18.1 but only has DD or DTS Rcvr options, no tru-hd or dts-hd like my SPMC ver 16 had, or does that not matter?

bob
post #9915 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, my Kodi version is 18.1 but only has DD or DTS Rcvr options, no tru-hd or dts-hd like my SPMC ver 16 had, or does that not matter?

bob
That is odd. I have 18.1 on my Nvidia Shield and see options for TrueHD and DTS-HD. Do you have have advanced/expert options exposed?
post #9916 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
That is odd. I have 18.1 on my Nvidia Shield and see options for TrueHD and DTS-HD. Do you have have advanced/expert options exposed?
I do, expert. Maybe it's a watered down version for the Firestick? Where do you suggest getting Kodi for my Shield to be sure?

thx

bob
post #9917 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
I do, expert. Maybe it's a watered down version for the Firestick? Where do you suggest getting Kodi for my Shield to be sure?

thx

bob
My version of Kodi comes straight from the Play Store. I had side-loaded 18 while it was still beta, but it's in the store now.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9918 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
My version of Kodi comes straight from the Play Store. I had side-loaded 18 while it was still beta, but it's in the store now.
Perfect, Thanks. Arrives tomorrow

bob
post #9919 of 10569 Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

thx

bob
Mine is the official play store version. That's probably your issue.
post #9920 of 10569 Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
He doesn't have any issue, folks.
His Firestick is not able to bitstream lossless audio track. Period.
His Shield will arrive soon (today?).
With the Shield you should be able to get TrueHD and DTS-HD MA on your Marantz.
Enjoy it!
aaronwt, cmdrdredd, Alan P and 2 others like this.
post #9921 of 10569 Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I misunderstood. I assumed his Shield had arrived and he still wasn't seeing DTS-HD & TrueHD options on the Shield.
post #9922 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreMarceaux View Post
Not dumb questions at all
  1. Not music, I don't use Plex to listen to music, only to watch movies and TV shows from my personal library
  2. All speakers

This should make it easier. I would rip Blu-rays that I owned which at the time weren't offering digital releases yet. The Lord of the Rings trilogy for example was one of them. When I initially ripped the file it was with its uncompressed DTS-ES 6.1 audio. The file was also huge, like 40GB or something. In order to save some hard drive space I started reconverting them. Instead of leaving the audio "untouched" I compressed them using the AAC format, this would take my 40GB file down to something more manageable like 15GB. I honestly can't tell a difference in sound quality, & with the amount of space I save, I couldn't be happier.

My issue with the default native Plex app that comes on the SHIELD is that it's now converting the AAC file to DD+. Before, any file that had AAC would display as "Multi Channel In" on my Denon and would display as PCM & also show which speakers were being used. In this case it's my L, C, R, SR, SL, SBL & SBR. Everything sounds the same as if it were still DTS-ES 6.1, with the extra speaker that's supposed to be the back center in 6.1 being distributed to the SBL & SBR respectively as it should be doing.

But now, whenever I play any movie such as LOTR that has been re-encoded with AAC through the native Plex app, my Denon it now displays DD+ instead of "Multi Channel In" with Dolby being the sound source naturally and not PCM. It's really not that big of a deal since everything still plays and sounds the exact same as if it's never been re-encoded. I was just wondering why this happening, and when did it start. It's especially perplexing to me since I can take those same AAC movies and play them through Kodi (via the Plex plugin) and then my Denon shows "Multi Channel In" & PCM as the sound source like it has done for years.

Maybe the DD+ is an upgrade, I don't really know... it could just be a 1:1 trade-off, and now the native Plex app just converts AAC movie encodes to DD+

Apologies for the late response, but sadly I don't have any follow-up advise to offer. I rip my Blu rays with the lossless audio in tact, and I get confirmation on the panel of my AVR that it's showing up in it's original format for decoding...

I'm not sure I've ever seen AAC used for anything other than 2 channel music, so that was news to me... Hopefully someone else has some experience/insight with the process you described.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #9923 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 180
In the Netflix app I see some videos that are "Ultra 4K" and some that are "HDR", but none that are both. Is this the same for everyone else?
post #9924 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
In the Netflix app I see some videos that are "Ultra 4K" and some that are "HDR", but none that are both. Is this the same for everyone else?
Yes it is.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #9925 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Yes it is.
Thanks, seems kind of odd.
post #9926 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, seems kind of odd.
With the Netflix Kodi addon, there's much more information (during Playback) when the app is properly configured, meaning, your display can switch from 1080p to 4k, or visa versa. Content will stream at 24p and some content will not. Also, some content will stream with Atmos, and some will not. With the Android TV Netflix app on the Shield, you're pretty much stuck with one setting for all of your content.

I updated the addon this morning and content that I thought was just Dolby Digital Plus, was actually Atmos.

The Formula One series for example, is just 1080p but its in Atmos.
Love, Death and Robots, is in 1080p/24 HDR and Atmos.
Altered Carbon is in 4K/24 HDR and Atmos.

I would have never known the actual streaming characteristics of the content on the Shield, unless I "googled" it. I have an Xbox One X but I don't use it for Streaming, even though it supports Atmos.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 03-23-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #9927 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
With the Netflix Kodi addon, there's much more information (during Playback) when the app is properly configured, meaning, your display can switch from 1080p to 4k, or visa versa. Content will stream at 24p and some content will not. Also, some content will stream with Atmos, and some will not. With the Android TV Netflix app on the Shield, you're pretty much stuck with one setting for all of your content.
Really, your talking about all that being done within the Shield? I may have to check it out.
post #9928 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really, your talking about all that being done within the Shield? I may have to check it out.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767

https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9929 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
While their certainly could be HDR content on Netflix that is not 4k (I don’t personally know of any but that doesn’t mean it’s not there, I just have never looked for it since all my HDR capable sets are 4k) the vast majority of the content marked HDR is 4k so it’s not surprising that they only list it as HDR.

Mark
post #9930 of 10569 Old 03-23-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
While their certainly could be HDR content on Netflix that is not 4k (I don’t personally know of any but that doesn’t mean it’s not there, I just have never looked for it since all my HDR capable sets are 4k) the vast majority of the content marked HDR is 4k so it’s not surprising that they only list it as HDR.
Well that's the thing I'm not so sure that's the case. I see "Ultra HD 4k", and "HDR". When I select the ones marked 4k the TV doesn't go into HDR mode.

Hard to say if the ones marked HDR are 4k. But to test I put the shield in 1080p mode. All the HDR versions are still there and when watched they enable HDR in 1080p. I tend to think all those just marked HDR are just 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page