NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 339 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2940Likes

post #10141 of 10411 Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Sucks that you are having issues, but for many "it's fine". I understand these posts aren't helpful, but just because you are having these issues doesn't mean that it is common to all shields.
It's common to a lot more than you think. Stuttering playback is a common issue the Shield has been having for years. Unfortunately it really hasn't hit me until the 7.2 update, I even tried a few factory resets to no avail.
thehun likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10411 Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
On occasion since the last update starting a YouTube video I will lose video (no input on TV). However I can change the receiver's input and then switch it back and the image returns. Typically the video then plays fine... until the next time it happens.
Sounds like my issue a few posts back, though I don't think I've gotten the video to play fine afterwards (can't recall if I've tried the same video to be honest).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #10143 of 10411 Old 04-17-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
It's common to a lot more than you think. Stuttering playback is a common issue the Shield has been having for years. Unfortunately it really hasn't hit me until the 7.2 update, I even tried a few factory resets to no avail.
I guess it could be, but I have been following this thread for quite some time and can't off the top of my head recall much talk about it. Not saying its not here somewhere but definitely would seem to be more prominent if it was consistent across all devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10144 of 10411 Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I guess it could be, but I have been following this thread for quite some time and can't off the top of my head recall much talk about it. Not saying its not here somewhere but definitely would seem to be more prominent if it was consistent across all devices.
Yeah, “common” in this context is a very relative term. The vast majority of Shield owners don’t participate in any of these online forums and those that do are essentially a self selected population many of which participate here, and on other forums specific to the Shield, exactly because they do have issues. Because of that it is problematic to draw any real conclusions about how “common” a problem is by how often it is reported here and in other Shield specific online venues.

Mark
post #10145 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 217
The 7.2.3 is out, any good offerings from Nvidia

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #10146 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
due to an avsforum member's exuberance i am in the process of digitizing my 4K UHD movie collection and I have setup a nvidia shield/32 TB synology ds918+ nas network to access these movies in my theatre. i want to ensure that i am using the highest quality video and audio and hence it was the shield that was highly endorsed to accomplish this. what has been difficult to figure out is how to setup the shield to do this. my shield will be output into a lumagen radiance pro. i want to ensure i preserve the refresh rate, colorspace etc...

does anyone have any insight into the settings. i cannot easily identify in the shield settings how to do this.

thanks very much.
ckronengold likes this.
post #10147 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbynw View Post
due to an avsforum member's exuberance i am in the process of digitizing my 4K UHD movie collection and I have setup a nvidia shield/32 TB synology ds918+ nas network to access these movies in my theatre. i want to ensure that i am using the highest quality video and audio and hence it was the shield that was highly endorsed to accomplish this. what has been difficult to figure out is how to setup the shield to do this. my shield will be output into a lumagen radiance pro. i want to ensure i preserve the refresh rate, colorspace etc...

does anyone have any insight into the settings. i cannot easily identify in the shield settings how to do this.

thanks very much.
First, you should be able to leave the Shield set to the default HDMI output setting.

Second, to enable color space switching:
Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer (you will see a toast which will say you are now a developer). Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart device for changes to take effect.

Lastly, for refresh rate AND resolution switching, you need to use MrMC or Kodi (if you use Emby, I think that app supports both as well). You might need to enable 'Advanced' or 'Expert' settings (which you should see on the side bar once you're in settings). Go to the video player settings in MrMC/Kodi to enable refresh rate switching. The method to enable resolution switching is slightly different between MrMC and Kodi. In MrMC I think it's a simple toggle under video settings. In Kodi you have to go to the 'whitelist' settings under System -> Display and select the resolutions your display supports.

Also, please report back how well this works with your Lumagen setup! I'm planning a similar setup in the future if I ever get a projector.
ckronengold and duboisph like this.
post #10148 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

thanks very much.
I'm running a ds918+ and have 2 shields, one in my living room connected a Sony TV and one in my home theater connected to a JVC projector. I really like the combo of nas+plex+shield. I'm running the plex a server on the nas and using MrMC and/or Kodi with plex plug-ins. This will get you all the high res audio codecs bit streamed with video resolution and frame rate switching. You do have to turn all this on inside in the MrMC or Kodi settings. To my knowledge the Shield still does not auto switch colorspace and any resolution below 1080 will upscale to 1080.
post #10149 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Looks like lockdown beat me to it , with a better answer. I'll have to try the developer options for color space.
lockdown571 likes this.
post #10150 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Does anyone know how to fix the problem of the device not sending the colour space information with the signal? All my other 4k devices tell my projector whether the colour space is BT2020 or REC709 (or even REC601), but with the Shield it’s blank so it defaults to thinking the signal is REC709 and looks dreadful.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #10151 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Does anyone know how to fix the problem of the device not sending the colour space information with the signal? All my other 4k devices tell my projector whether the colour space is BT2020 or REC709 (or even REC601), but with the Shield it’s blank so it defaults to thinking the signal is REC709 and looks dreadful.
Did you try enabling the colorimetry setting I described a few posts up?
post #10152 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 05:28 PM

thank you for the instructions...i will try it out when i get a few moments
post #10153 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Shield Sub Par PQ

I posted in the regular group the sub par PQ of the Shield compared to other Android boxes that I have: Gen 2, 4K FS, Beelink GT-1, DTV DVR Oppo, etc. This the second shield I have experienced this on and it's not subtle. Picture just lacks luster, sharpness, brightness, etc. It's not so blatant to be an obvious setting but I'm open to getting the "pop" that all my other devices have on my 9G Kuro.

bob
post #10154 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Yup, that’s already on, but it doesn’t come through to my VW760/885 projector.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #10155 of 10411 Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
First, you should be able to leave the Shield set to the default HDMI output setting.

Second, to enable color space switching:
Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer (you will see a toast which will say you are now a developer). Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart device for changes to take effect.

Lastly, for refresh rate AND resolution switching, you need to use MrMC or Kodi (if you use Emby, I think that app supports both as well). You might need to enable 'Advanced' or 'Expert' settings (which you should see on the side bar once you're in settings). Go to the video player settings in MrMC/Kodi to enable refresh rate switching. The method to enable resolution switching is slightly different between MrMC and Kodi. In MrMC I think it's a simple toggle under video settings. In Kodi you have to go to the 'whitelist' settings under System -> Display and select the resolutions your display supports.

Also, please report back how well this works with your Lumagen setup! I'm planning a similar setup in the future if I ever get a projector.

I thought there was already a lot of color space settings in the advanced display settings? Or is that different and what do your color space settings do?

bob
post #10156 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
I thought there was already a lot of color space settings in the advanced display settings? Or is that different and what do your color space settings do?

bob
Good question. The color space options under advanced display settings is how you change the color space manually. The colorimetry setting I described enables automatic color space changing based on the video content. Supposedly it doesn't work for every app. I have not done extensive testing.
post #10157 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Has anyone else had issues playing 4K videos on the youtube app? A few play okay, but most make my projector go to a blue screen (same as when it has no signal) with a message saying Out of Range.

I don't have this issue with youtube on other devices, or other 4K videos on the shield.
A little further testing on this, and I can confirm 1080p videos work fine, and the 4K videos with this issue are not HDR. If I leave the video playing and switch the input on either my projector or AVR and go back, the video will play okay, but then when I exit playback to the youtube menus, it goes out of range again. Audio still plays when it goes out of range. So, it appears there is some handshake issue going on when youtube is changing from one resolution to another.

On another note, when in youtube, there is some audio distortion when moving around the menus. Anyone else experience this?

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #10158 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 824
The Nvidia Shield has a major defect - it keeps switching the output audio format every time I seek/pause. This is when connected to an AVR.

e.g in Netflix, Plex etc - say you are watching a Dolby DD 5.1 movie. When you pause, the output swtiches back to PL II (or whatever the default 2ch mode on the receiver is). Then you resume playback and receiver again has to switch to 5.1.

This of course cause audio dropouts as well as not being correct. This does NOT happen when using any other player - e.g. Fire stick. Both of them are using Android's media player, so this is a problem specific to Shield.

Because of this it has become basically unusable.

I forgot to mention my receiver - I have an older Onkyo model NR609 and a newer NR656, both have this issue.

Last edited by Defcon; 04-20-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #10159 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
This is what I’m seeing, with the Shield no colour space info is coming through with the video, any other source the signal gives the colour space info so it can switch to the correct colour space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACFF97B7-A293-42FE-B439-67395C267685.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2556158   Click image for larger version

Name:	01826F35-89CC-4085-B336-6E9C4F1F3F4D.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2556160  

post #10160 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
The Nvidia Shield has a major defect - it keeps switching the output audio format every time I seek/pause. This is when connected to an AVR.

e.g in Netflix, Plex etc - say you are watching a Dolby DD 5.1 movie. When you pause, the output swtiches back to PL II (or whatever the default 2ch mode on the receiver is). Then you resume playback and receiver again has to switch to 5.1.

This of course cause audio dropouts as well as not being correct. This does NOT happen when using any other player - e.g. Fire stick. Both of them are using Android's media player, so this is a problem specific to Shield.

Not stating which AVR you used means this is automatically an end-user issue with your specific setup...I don't have this problem with the Shield which is connected to my Denon AVR

The Shield is ANYTHING but unusuable

Josh
post #10161 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Not stating which AVR you used means this is automatically an end-user issue with your specific setup...I don't have this problem with the Shield which is connected to my Denon AVR

The Shield is ANYTHING but unusuable
I edited my post as well. I have an older Onkyo model NR609 and a newer NR656, both have this issue.

Are there any specific settings to apply?
post #10162 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 515
One thing I've noticed today is a need for the Netflix app's picture quality to improve on the Shield.

I did not take it seriously until I "tried" to watch "The Last Jedi" on Netflix this afternoon. The scenes with Snoke on his throne, with the red background. I always had "ringing" on the solid red areas of the background during these scenes.

I messed around with the HDMI, resolution, and colorspace settings on both the Shield and my Sony Display, but nothing fixed the issue.

If I play these scenes using the Netflix app from the Sony TV, the rings are gone. This is also true for my Xbox One X.

The Netflix Addon for Kodi is the way to go for the Shield (in my setup). Those exact scenes with red backgrounds were clear. The overall quality of this addon should have been part of the native Shield app a long time ago.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #10163 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:23 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8847 Post(s)
Liked: 5634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I forgot to mention my receiver - I have an older Onkyo model NR609 and a newer NR656, both have this issue.
I don't have this issue with my nr656 and a Shield. I'm not having audio dropouts.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10164 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any idea if the new Shield 2019 is coming out anytime soon ? I’m planning to buy Shield to run 60 gb UHD MKV files. Don’t want to be in a situation wherein I buy shield 2017 and they launch something new couple of months down the line !!
post #10165 of 10411 Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatric View Post
Any idea if the new Shield 2019 is coming out anytime soon ? I’m planning to buy Shield to run 60 gb UHD MKV files. Don’t want to be in a situation wherein I buy shield 2017 and they launch something new couple of months down the line !!
Who knows. The only thing even “rumored” so far is that Nvidia is working on a new controller and remote. No mention of them working on an actual new streaming device...

Mark
post #10166 of 10411 Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
This is what I’m seeing, with the Shield no colour space info is coming through with the video, any other source the signal gives the colour space info so it can switch to the correct colour space.
I did have success enabling the developer settings in KODI but I did not have any success with passthrough rate, format for the video. I selected the appropriate Whitelist options. For example, the movie Avengers: Infinity War has a rate of 23.98Hz, format 444-HDR2020 but on the shield it is upscaling to 59.94Hz and passing 420-HDR2020. I will tackle the audio once I have figured out the video settings.

Another issue I encountered was the display of the movies in the movie folder - is there anyway to enable the poster images? These all display flawlessly and beautifully on my apple tv 4k with infuse that we use on our tvs throughout the house. For previous mentioned reasons, the apple tv 4k is a non-starter in the theatre.

Thank you!
ckronengold likes this.
post #10167 of 10411 Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I did have success enabling the developer settings in KODI but I did not have any success with passthrough rate, format for the video. I selected the appropriate Whitelist options. For example, the movie Avengers: Infinity War has a rate of 23.98Hz, format 444-HDR2020 but on the shield it is upscaling to 59.94Hz and passing 420-HDR2020. I will tackle the audio once I have figured out the video settings.

Another issue I encountered was the display of the movies in the movie folder - is there anyway to enable the poster images? These all display flawlessly and beautifully on my apple tv 4k with infuse that we use on our tvs throughout the house. For previous mentioned reasons, the apple tv 4k is a non-starter in the theatre.

Thank you!
i just verified the rate and format of the mkv files by accessing via nfs through the network of my oppo203.... the mkv file plays exactly as the physical disc. same rate and format is displayed on my lumagen radiance pro.
post #10168 of 10411 Old 04-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you!
Did you set kodi to switch resolution and refresh rate on ? You need this setting to get kodi to change to 24p ya it any other refresh rate you whitelisted.

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
post #10169 of 10411 Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys so I seen on the Nvidia forums, that people are claiming the Kodi Netflix Add on allows Atmos with Netflix on Shield? Anybody here able to recreate that?
post #10170 of 10411 Old 04-24-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
Hey guys so I seen on the Nvidia forums, that people are claiming the Kodi Netflix Add on allows Atmos with Netflix on Shield? Anybody here able to recreate that?
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767

I have it working on my set up. May take a little trial an error for it to work for you.

Note that when looking for Atmos Content, it will display Dolby HD for audio.
The descriptions will not tell you whether a video is 4k or 1080p. Movies will appear as 720p.
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version