NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3032Likes

post #10291 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroStaticSpeaker View Post
So definitely isolated the Shield as the culprit today.

I connected my laptop to the LG on another input and no bars or aspect ratio adjustment needed. Pulled the cable from my laptop and plugged into Shield. Bars came back.

Moved Shield to another room and plugged into a Vizio M80 and bars showed up there too.

Seems to work fine with 1080p but not 4k displays.

Frustrating. Not sure what to do now. Any thought? Could it be a defective unit somehow?
Seems to be something odd with your unit, maybe some strange setting somewhere. Have you considered a factory reset?
mjwagner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

I connected my laptop to the LG on another input and no bars or aspect ratio adjustment needed. Pulled the cable from my laptop and plugged into Shield. Bars came back.

Moved Shield to another room and plugged into a Vizio M80 and bars showed up there too.

Frustrating. Not sure what to do now. Any thought? Could it be a defective unit somehow?
I have two Shields, one connected to my LG OLED65B7A and the other connected to my 4k laser projector (Optoma UHZ65) thru a Denon AVR (x6400h) and have never seen this issue on either. Double check the settings on your Shield and try swapping out the HDMI cable for one that is verified to work with 4k (certified premium with the little hologram sticker if possible, they are very inexpensive on Amazon).

Mark
post #10293 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

I have no issues on my Samsung running through a Yamaha AVR with this, so certainly seems to be specific to your particular TV/AVR combo. Defective? Certainly a possibility.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10294 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So for curiosities sake, I took the shield and connected it back to the 1080p plasma once again to verify there were no bars and there WERE, in fact, bars showing.

I guess I just didn't notice the bars because the black bezels on the TV are so large already that a little bit of extra black didn't seem very jarring.

Guess factory reset is my last step here before contacting support.
post #10295 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
It's been rumored for quite a while, hopefully it happens but nothing really substantial yet.

This was recently posted

The highlight of the article being

Maybe the next Nvidia Shield will magically be able to speed up my internet speed from 10Mbps to 25Mbps with my crappy, but cheap DSL service. Or maybe it will come with a lifetime discount for cable internet so I can have 25Mbps from Mediacom-onopoly's cable service in my area for less than $80/mo. The Shield's advanced features with streaming 4K video are fairly useless without a large monthly charge for >25Mbps internet. I have an idea - Maybe the federal government should shut down the Postal service and put all the money used for it to providing internet to houses instead. Then every home could have a Shield to use with it like an old Bell telephone.
post #10296 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Maybe the next Nvidia Shield will magically be able to speed up my internet speed from 10Mbps to 25Mbps with my crappy, but cheap DSL service. Or maybe it will come with a lifetime discount for cable internet so I can have 25Mbps from Mediacom-onopoly's cable service in my area for less than $80/mo. The Shield's advanced features with streaming 4K video are fairly useless without a large monthly charge for >25Mbps internet. I have an idea - Maybe the federal government should shut down the Postal service and put all the money used for it to providing internet to houses instead. Then every home could have a Shield to use with it like an old Bell telephone.
Not sure how that rant fits here but I'll bite. I spent 3 years with sub 1mbps dsl in a rural area. Where down the road you pay the same for 60mbps. First world problems but yeah it sucked.
post #10297 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
I only pay $20 a month for gigabit INternet from FiOS. AS part of a triple play bundle.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10298 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 02:21 PM

Well, this was an interesting turn.

I did a factory reset, which DID fix the output signal immediately.

It also broke Bluetooth Accessory connectivity. Refuses to see any device I put near it in pairing mode. Worked with support and they created an RMA.

Seems like I just have a flaky system.
post #10299 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 992
A question for Shield TV owners (current generation) that also own a Harmony remote along with a Harmony Bridge. I have a Harmony Ultimate One remote along with a Harmony Bridge that is supposed to be able communicate with a Shield TV using rf (blutooth, wifi ?) as the current generation of Shield TV does not support IR remote control. I have found information on setting up the Harmony app on a smart phone and using that to control the Shield TV, after pairing the Bluetooth. However, after setting up the Harmony Ultimate One remote and the bridge the only options I'm given by the MyHarmony software is to use IR, which simply doesn't work with the current generation of Shield TV which doesn't support IR. Has any forum member figured out how (or if) a dedicated Harmony Remote + Bridge can be set up to use Bluetooth (or wifi) to control their Shield TV?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #10300 of 10579 Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
A question for Shield TV owners (current generation) that also own a Harmony remote along with a Harmony Bridge. I have a Harmony Ultimate One remote along with a Harmony Bridge that is supposed to be able communicate with a Shield TV using rf (blutooth, wifi ?) as the current generation of Shield TV does not support IR remote control. I have found information on setting up the Harmony app on a smart phone and using that to control the Shield TV, after pairing the Bluetooth. However, after setting up the Harmony Ultimate One remote and the bridge the only options I'm given by the MyHarmony software is to use IR, which simply doesn't work with the current generation of Shield TV which doesn't support IR. Has any forum member figured out how (or if) a dedicated Harmony Remote + Bridge can be set up to use Bluetooth (or wifi) to control their Shield TV?
I do NOT have a Harmony Bridge + Remote. I have the hub. But, I don't see why a device supporting bluetooth would not work. The only challenge I can imagine would be starting the bluetooth pairing sequence. The only way I can figure out how to do this so far is to Add an activity requiring the shield when the shield has yet to be configured. During the activity creation, it asks you to add the Shield, and this is the only time I have been able to place the Harmony into pairing mode. If you are able to get it to do that, and then add "Harmoney Keyboard" as a shield accessory, I think this should work.
post #10301 of 10579 Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I had the same problem. After some digging I that Harmony has two different listings for the Shield. I *think* in the MyHarmony app if you specify "Nvidia Shield" it assumes you're using the old 2015 model with IR, and if you specify "Nvidia Shield TV" it will detect the 2017 Bluetooth model (that may be vice-versa). Both end up showing as "Nvidia Game Console" as the device when added. Once I got that straight the newer harmony remotes with the bridge worked fine, you might be in the same situation with the wrong device synced to your rmeote.
post #10302 of 10579 Old 05-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I just purchased a 65C8PUA to replace my Panasonic 65VT30 Plasma.

Overall I am very happy with it. I was worried for a bit that it was broken because it turned on Ultra Deep Color mode which worked fine for the first day and then started glitching. After disabling this everything is fine again.

The one question I have is regarding aspect ratio.

I have an nVidia Shield connected to a Yamaha RX-A1080 receiver and then to the TV. On the receivers information screen it shows it is both receiving and outputting a 4K 60Hz signal. On the Shield is says it is outputting a 4k 59.940Hz signal which is Recommended. Adjust for Overscan is not enabled.

On the TV I have black bars on both the sides and the top/bottom. It's unrelated to content as this is how it displays everything including the Shield's menu screen.

I can fill the entire screen by changing the Aspect Ratio setting to "All-Direction Zoom" and then reducing the diagonal (both direction) zoom by 10 clicks.

But I shouldn't need to do this right? Aren't I lowering the picture quality by adding artificial zoom?

Does anyone have any other suggestions to get this working with "Original" aspect ratio?

One note: "Just Scan" setting is currently off. If I turn this on in Original Aspect Ratio setting the bars get bigger. If I turn it on in the All Direction Zoom mode it makes the bars on the side bigger. Several have told me that Just Scan should be turned On. I am more than happy to do this but it gets worse each time.

Other notes:

- Connecting the Shield directly to the TV results in the same behavior
- Changing the Shield's output to 1080p results in the same behavior

Does anyone have a shield connected to an LG OLED filling the screen without adjustments? What about other 4k displays?

Thanks for your help.

What does the LG TV report for resolution? 1080p? 4k? something else?
Is the receiver connected to an "enhanced port"? Some TV sets, you need to set specific ports to support [email protected] Some TVs only have specific ports that can support that resolution.
Do you have a different cable to try out? There is also that thing about the cable needed to support the bandwidth needed.
Oh and my receiver, I had to set the input ports to be enhanced too. Since you had a 1080p tv before, have you checked those settings? Is the Shield connected to a good port?

My Shield is set to the recommended resolution of [email protected]*** also. I can set it to 60hz, but it made little difference. Some people state that using 59hz reduces the time to change to [email protected], which I use for movies and such.

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659

Last edited by vapore0n; 05-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
post #10303 of 10579 Old 05-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
What does the LG TV report for resolution? 1080p? 4k? something else?
Is the receiver connected to an "enhanced port"? Some TV sets, you need to set specific ports to support [email protected] Some TVs only have specific ports that can support that resolution.
Do you have a different cable to try out? There is also that thing about the cable needed to support the bandwidth needed.
Oh and my receiver, I had to set the input ports to be enhanced too. Since you had a 1080p tv before, have you checked those settings? Is the Shield connected to a good port?

My Shield is set to the recommended resolution of [email protected]*** also. I can set it to 60hz, but it made little difference. Some people state that using 59hz reduces the time to change to [email protected], which I use for movies and such.
Posted an update a little bit above but turned out that my Shield seemed to be defective. After factory resetting everything it started outputting normally, but Bluetooth completely broke and I am in an RMA process now. Think I just have a bad one.
aaronwt likes this.
post #10304 of 10579 Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I only pay $20 a month for gigabit INternet from FiOS. AS part of a triple play bundle.

No FiOS here. I only get Mediacom-onopoly for cable data and CenturyStink for phone line data (DSL). Mediacom's lowest price for internet only is $80/mo and CenturyLink's speed is max of 12Mbps (I'm receiving only 8-10Mbps) for $45/mo. Forget 'mobile' data hotspots and such because I don't buy cell tower data.

My main point here is the Shield's advanced features are mostly associated with streaming 4K video. If the data bandwidth isn't available, then the best features are useless. The more advanced it becomes, the fewer people would buy it. I can see why Nvidia hasn't been keen on a new device to give a small customer base features like DV or YouTube HDR. My 4K sources are limited to Disks or rips from disk and not streamed content.
post #10305 of 10579 Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No FiOS here. I only get Mediacom-onopoly for cable data and CenturyStink for phone line data (DSL). Mediacom's lowest price for internet only is $80/mo and CenturyLink's speed is max of 12Mbps (I'm receiving only 8-10Mbps) for $45/mo. Forget 'mobile' data hotspots and such because I don't buy cell tower data.

My main point here is the Shield's advanced features are mostly associated with streaming 4K video. If the data bandwidth isn't available, then the best features are useless. The more advanced it becomes, the fewer people would buy it. I can see why Nvidia hasn't been keen on a new device to give a small customer base features like DV or YouTube HDR. My 4K sources are limited to Disks or rips from disk and not streamed content.
You really think this is the reason they are not pumping out new Shields. I would bet the fact that this one sells great and still is the leading Android TV box is a larger reason. With streaming as common as it is these days with all the various platforms, limited bandwidth, while an issue for some, doesn't seem to be slowing that down at all.
post #10306 of 10579 Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
You really think this is the reason they are not pumping out new Shields. I would bet the fact that this one sells great and still is the leading Android TV box is a larger reason. With streaming as common as it is these days with all the various platforms, limited bandwidth, while an issue for some, doesn't seem to be slowing that down at all.
Yes, along with other reasons. The main one I'm gessing is that they're too busy with the Switch project. You're guessing too about selling great, or whether it's not slowing down without any real business info. All I know for sure is that I won't buy another one unless they come up with a more compelling reason then features that rely on streaming data quality and bandwidth that just isn't there for me.
post #10307 of 10579 Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I was unaware that 4K 59hz allowed for faster switching to 1080p thanks for the info. Is there a way to switch quicker like a toggle?
post #10308 of 10579 Old 05-12-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked: 503
scary moment today

yanked out my usb thumb drive and then all of a sudden the shield won't respond.

I had to unplug and re-plug in the hdmi cord and then everything was fine but whoo... was scared there for a minute...
post #10309 of 10579 Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone been getting the "Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your network or try a lower quality" with Plex? Started happening about a month ago. Wired gigabit connection.
post #10310 of 10579 Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4220 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tward2 View Post
Has anyone been getting the "Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your network or try a lower quality" with Plex? Started happening about a month ago. Wired gigabit connection.
I get it occasionally but when it happens I just go back and restart the movie/show and it usually continues to work from there on.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #10311 of 10579 Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
I've seen it a couple of times using Kodi or MrMC, but it never seems to have any impact on actual playback. I'm also on Gigabit Ethernet.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10312 of 10579 Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I've seen it a couple of times using Kodi or MrMC, but it never seems to have any impact on actual playback. I'm also on Gigabit Ethernet.
Yes. The same here. I've had it pop up occasionally with Plex, but never affected my actual playback. I've always just ignored it and hit play again and it disappeared. And the title continued to play back properly.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10313 of 10579 Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Yes, I have seen that occasionally but as others have indicated it has never effected playback.

Mark
post #10314 of 10579 Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Yes, I have seen that occasionally but as others have indicated it has never effected playback.
I have had it as well but never a problem, but my buddy has had it and the video won't play.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #10315 of 10579 Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I know this has probably been asked a million times but is there a way to get the Shield to just Auto Output the video file they way it is encoded?
If I set the video output at Rec.709 will it still output the Rec.2020 of my 4K MKV file?

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #10316 of 10579 Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I know this has probably been asked a million times but is there a way to get the Shield to just Auto Output the video file they way it is encoded?
If I set the video output at Rec.709 will it still output the Rec.2020 of my 4K MKV file?

Thanks
Yes, the colorimetry feature in the developer options should allow auto colorspace adjustments. This was added in one of the recent 7.2.x releases earlier this year.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...lution-chroma/
post #10317 of 10579 Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I bought a USB hard drive to hook up to my shield as my WD Cloud drive has run out of space and those things are dumb expensive now for some reason.

Do I need to format it a certain way in Win10? I'm hoping to "shuck" the drive at some point and insert it into a proper NAS Server box - does that change the answer or will I have to wipe it when I do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10318 of 10579 Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just hooked my shield up and quickly realize I'm going to need more space. What size and brand do you guys recommend for storage?
post #10319 of 10579 Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This bug is fixed in the latest Shield update in beta...just waiting on a public release.
post #10320 of 10579 Old 05-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_tonn View Post
This bug is fixed in the latest Shield update in beta...just waiting on a public release.

Thanks. I can’t wait for the release I had to go back to using Kodi for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page