NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 350 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3593Likes

post #10471 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Personally, I have gone to great pains (at ridiculous expense) to have a really good 4k HDR experience in my theater, and I would never give that up for slightly better compression quality in 1080p content. Frankly, I don't watch mainstream movies on Netflix, I wait until they are out on bluray and then rip them and watch them that way. I rarely compromise when I am looking for a top quality flick to watch. Streaming is great on small screens and for bingeworthy content, but for a feature presentation in the theater, it is rarely satisfactory even over bluray quality 1080p, and can't touch 4k UHD on a disc.

As for Netflix exclusive content and older shows that I binge, I expect streaming artifacts, and again wouldn't give up the quality that comes with 4k HDR on so much of this content, even to gain Atmos on a select few shows. Aside from the mainstream movies, does Netflix offer a lot of their original content in Atmos? And while Atmos is cool and all, my receiver does a fine job with 7.1 content too. Don't get me wrong, I love when a movie has thunder and rain that comes from directly above me, immersing me in the show, but wouldn't add much to Ozark, Sex Education, or even Stranger Things or Altered Carbon.

I also wouldn't give up the single source setup to have Netflix with Atmos on a different device. That definitely isn't worth it to me. Just my opinion..
Yeah if it’s a really good movie that has lots of good eye candy, so more sci-fi rather than dramas, then I will typically buy the 4k HDR Blu-ray, streaming just isn’t going to cut it for me. I too have spent a crazy amount of money on my home theater setup (4k HDR laser projector, 7.2.4 ATMOS, etc, etc) and am not willing to compromise on content quality. That said, for the stuff we do stream we want the best we can get. Altered Carbon and Lost in Space are two recent NetFlix shows that come to mind that were in 4k HDR with ATMOS that, IMHO, were pretty good. To get everything we want/need I already have 3 streaming devices in my home theater (Shield, FireTV Stick 4k, and ATV4k) so “single source” is already out of the question for me...LOL. I’m still holding out hope that someday somebody is going to produce THE single streaming device that does it all...until then I’ll need to have multiple streamers...

Just for reference, here is a list that shows what is currently available on NetFlix in 4k HDR and ATMOS -

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...by-atmos/42751

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10472 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
No, you won't see 4k or HDR as a description, and you will only see Dolby HD for content with Atmos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I got it to work now. It showing Dolby and Dolby +. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T387T using Tapatalk
groove93 likes this.
post #10473 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
One of the major reasons why I prefer the Netflix add-on for Kodi compared to the Shield's native Netflix App

This is The Last Jedi using the Netflix Add-on for Kodi. Notice the red background.

This is The Last Jedi using the native Netflix app. Again, notice the red background.

Image detail appears much sharper with the native app. As an example look at the robe's stitching and overall pattern. I can't say which is closest to the source but one is clearly sharper.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10474 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I'm talking about the banding of the red background in the right corner, as I already pointed out.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #10475 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
yeah the only reason for me to get the Kodi add on of Netflix would be Atmos, thanks for that link groove93.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #10476 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
I'm talking about the banding of the red background in the right corner, as I already pointed out.
One is so fuzzy it would be hard/impossible to see banding. Sorry, I see you have already been "roughed up" about the images... I was late to the party.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #10477 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess I better pull out my DSLR with a fast prime lens, place it on a tripod and reproduce what I'm seeing.

giomania likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10478 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
I guess I better pull out my DSLR with a fast prime lens, place it on a tripod and reproduce what I'm seeing.

It’s subtle color banding in the red background in that scene. I see it, and I’ve reproduced it on several devices on different displays. It’s probably either the built in player in the NetFlix app, the content, or some combination as I’ve posted previously. What more are you looking for?

Mark
post #10479 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nothing more than directing people to see the banding as opposed to a blurry Snoke. It was a simple observation, nothing more nothing less.

Thought I contribute to the thread regarding my findings.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10480 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Sounds like a streaming issue due to compression. That scene has a massive gradient that probably consists of a million different colors on the screen in one frame, and since it has to be compressed down to the bitrate Netflix streams at, something had to give. IMHO the Kodi screenshot looks lower resolution, which would suggest less compression needed in the color gradient.

I look at it this way: If every show or movie you watched had that kind of banding it would be one thing, but in my experience with the shield and the native Netflix app, I have never noticed anything outside normal compression and scaling artifacts that are consistent with all streaming.
Interesting point you make there. I guess we are all assuming that these are the exact same resolution/bitrate. Who's to say they are not different to some degree for whatever reason.
post #10481 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Questions for all you that have had a lot more experience using the Shield:

I have a PS4 that I use for Netflix, Prime and Hulu. I have an 8 year old HTPC that I use for Kodi. These all function pretty well but some of the mkv files (looking at you, H.265) will not play and some day this box that is running windows 10 will give out. It's a pain to constantly be getting windows updates, pop-ups etc. and Kodi actually crashes (on startup only, once it's running it never crashes) a fair amount.

Should I get a Shield now or wait for the rumored 2019 version? Will the streaming content look the same on the Shield as it does using the PS4?

I don't care about games, just streaming. Would the $170 version with remote be what I'm after?
post #10482 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdesigner View Post
Questions for all you that have had a lot more experience using the Shield:

I have a PS4 that I use for Netflix, Prime and Hulu. I have an 8 year old HTPC that I use for Kodi. These all function pretty well but some of the mkv files (looking at you, H.265) will not play and some day this box that is running windows 10 will give out. It's a pain to constantly be getting windows updates, pop-ups etc. and Kodi actually crashes (on startup only, once it's running it never crashes) a fair amount.

Should I get a Shield now or wait for the rumored 2019 version? Will the streaming content look the same on the Shield as it does using the PS4?

I don't care about games, just streaming. Would the $170 version with remote be what I'm after?
Since we have nothing but rumors about a new version of the Shield, I don't know if I'd wait. I only use mine for streaming, and yes I use the lowest priced version. Got mine for $130 back on the last Amazon day. Plays everything I have perfectly, either with Kodi or MrMC. I haven't bothered with setting up a all-in-one remote, as I can control my AVR volume with the TV remote, so it's only two.

My media is on a Windows 10 PC running Serviio, and will likely stay there for some time. Using DLNA I can feed my other devices throughout the house without issue or worrying about media support. Plex is a fine server, but it won't do one thing that I require, which is to continue playing one movie after another. Plus there's no Plex client for the Blu Ray player my wife prefers to use. My HTPC is only used for OTA recording, and a test server when I want to experiment with beta software.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10483 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9297 Post(s)
Liked: 5983
Quote:
To clarify:

10 bit 4:2:0 60hz 4k supports every possible mode up to 10 bit 4:2:0 60hz 4k.
It supports every refresh rate and will run at the native refresh rate, including 23.976, 24, 30, 50, 59.94, and 60hz.
It supports 8 and 10 bit color, so there will never be banding with standard content.
It supports Rec709 and BT2020 (natively if the colorimetry function is enabled in the setup menu, with tone mapping if it is not)
And it supports all resolutions up to 4k, although it upscales lower resolution content to 4k internally, not passing it in its native format.

12 bit content would play at 10 bit, and content with full 4:4:4 chroma subsampling would be compressed to 4:2:0. I have never run into 12 bit content so I can't tell you if you would see banding (possible since at 10 bit you have fewer colors), and as for the chroma compression, I have yet to notice any artifacting or degradation due to this. However, I don't pay close enough attention to see if I have ever run across 8 bit rec709 4k with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, and if so, if it was noticeably different when played with compression vs without. I have yet to notice a difference between a bluray played in a good player vs an uncompressed MKV played on the shield, although I stopped comparing them two years ago and rarely use the bluray player.

While the 4:2:0 colorspace is technically capable of supporting everything, you are also limited to what the HDMi 2.0 spec supports. And the HDMI 2.0 spec only supports 4:2:0 at 50Hz and 60hz. No matter what the bit depth.
You cannot use the 4:2:0 colorspace at 24hz or 30Hz since it is not in the HDMi 2.0 spec.

EDIT: Here is a table that shows what is supported in the HDMI 2.0 spec. So this is all that can be used with any device that is certified to use HDMI 2.0.

This table comes from http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

I know the dozens of UHD devices I have used have all conformed to the HDMI 2.0 spec and have matched what this table shows. And this includes my Shield TVs.

Here is another chart from the same website.
giomania and Murilo like this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-30-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #10484 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
While 420 is technically capable of supporting everything, you are also limited to what the HDMi spec supports. And the HDMI spec only supports 4:2:0 at 50Hz and 60hz. No matter what the bit depth.
You cannot use the 4:2:0 at 24hz or 30Hz since it is not in the HDMi 2.0 spec.
If that is the case, then the shield is automatically switching up to 4:2:2 when the framerate is not 60hz, because there is no question it matches the framerate at that setting. Either that or it plays it at 4:2:0 despite it not being part of the spec. Either way, it works, and as far as I can tell, works flawlessly. Since I don't have a 12 bit 4:2:2 60hz option and it works regardless of this, I am not limiting anything.

I honestly don't know if it limits you in the Chroma subsampling because I have never looked. Perhaps part of the colorimetry setting involves allowing the app to change it to a different compression mode depending on the framerate... This setting came along after I got an 18gbps display, so I was never locked into the 4:2:0 mode before the setting was available.

I can tell you for 100% certain:
If you set the HDMI settings in the Shield to any 24hz mode in the HDMI settings, you will limit the shield to playing ONLY up to 24hz content.
The same goes for bit depth. If you set it to 8 bit and play 10 bit content, you will get banding 100% of the time.
And the same for color gamut, if you limit it to rec709 and play BT2020 content, colors will be completely blown out.

However, each of those three can be set to a higher mode and play a lower mode perfectly without needing any user intervention. It just works.
post #10485 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
If that is the case, then the shield is automatically switching up to 4:2:2 when the framerate is not 60hz, because there is no question it matches the framerate at that setting. Either that or it plays it at 4:2:0 despite it not being part of the spec. Either way, it works, and as far as I can tell, works flawlessly. Since I don't have a 12 bit 4:2:2 60hz option and it works regardless of this, I am not limiting anything.

I honestly don't know if it limits you in the Chroma subsampling because I have never looked. Perhaps part of the colorimetry setting involves allowing the app to change it to a different compression mode depending on the framerate... This setting came along after I got an 18gbps display, so I was never locked into the 4:2:0 mode before the setting was available.

Yes, like every device, it switches the colorspace. All my devices will do this when they framerate switch. Since they all have to conform to the HDMI 2.0 SPec. My ATV 4Ks, my Shield TVs, my Rokus, .. etc. If they are set to 2160P60 with the 4:2:0 colorspace, when they switch to 24P or 30P, the colorspace will change.

post #10486 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes, like every device, it switches the colorspace. All my devices will do this when they framerate switch. Since they all have to conform to the HDMI 2.0 SPec. My ATV 4Ks, my Shield TVs, my Rokus, my FireTV 4K sticks etc.
"Color Space" is a term that usually refers to the gamut, and the Shield can ONLY switch color spaces if set to BT2020 in the HDMI settings, if set to Rec709, it will NEVER go to BT2020 automatically. Likewise, if you lock in 8 bit color, it will never display 10 bit color. Of course, 8 bit is a requirement for rec709, and 10/12 for bt2020, so perhaps those are related. Either way, even with the colorimetry setting turned on in the Shield, it will only switch DOWN in color space, never up, so that statement is not entirely true.

As I said, I can't speak for Chroma Subsampling and how it works in the shield as it relates to HDMI settings.

Sadly, there is no spec that is conformed to 100% by any manufacturer. HDMI, CEC, ARC... Every manufacturer picks and chooses what they want to support and what they don't want to spend money to make work. 2.0b is mostly supported fully by most manufacturers today, but it took a long time, and the Shield was one of those earlier devices that barely met the minimums... They have done a good job (finally) getting the color spaces to work between modes without having to manually change them, but it took a while. And now with 2.1 on the horizon, get ready for a slew of devices that don't do what you would expect based on the specification. I pity the fools who buy the first generation of HDMI 2.1 devices thinking they are future proofing themselves, lol.
post #10487 of 12089 Old 05-30-2019, 05:03 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
"Color Space" is a term that usually refers to the gamut, and the Shield can ONLY switch color spaces if set to BT2020 in the HDMI settings, if set to Rec709, it will NEVER go to BT2020 automatically. Likewise, if you lock in 8 bit color, it will never display 10 bit color. Of course, 8 bit is a requirement for rec709, and 10/12 for bt2020, so perhaps those are related. Either way, even with the colorimetry setting turned on in the Shield, it will only switch DOWN in color space, never up, so that statement is not entirely true.

As I said, I can't speak for Chroma Subsampling and how it works in the shield as it relates to HDMI settings.

Sadly, there is no spec that is conformed to 100% by any manufacturer. HDMI, CEC, ARC... Every manufacturer picks and chooses what they want to support and what they don't want to spend money to make work. 2.0b is mostly supported fully by most manufacturers today, but it took a long time, and the Shield was one of those earlier devices that barely met the minimums... They have done a good job (finally) getting the color spaces to work between modes without having to manually change them, but it took a while. And now with 2.1 on the horizon, get ready for a slew of devices that don't do what you would expect based on the specification. I pity the fools who buy the first generation of HDMI 2.1 devices thinking they are future proofing themselves, lol.
Yes. My Shields are set for BT2020 at 2160P60 and 4:2:0 at 10 bit output. WHen they framerate switch with HDR or SDR to 2160P24, it switches to 4:2:2 at 12 bit.
For SDR content my Sony and TCL UHD TVs have no problem with rec709 sent in BT2020. So I don't have the issues that some TVs might have with it.

post #10488 of 12089 Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
So last night after unsuccessfully updating Plex Media Server on my Freenas server, I decided to install PMS on the Shield. It's been almost 2 years since I tried it, and considering that I now have my NAS tucked away behind the living room couch where it is physically wired to my switch, as opposed to using a wireless bridge, I thought I'd give the Shield a try since streaming has been stable.

I think having PMS on the Shield might be a permanent solution. I streamed 3 4k movies to my Shield, my Pixel 2, and an older LG G5 smartphone simultaneously. All were direct play and only the Pixel needed the audio to be transcoded. No pauses in the video streams nor audio breakups. The Shield is hardwired, while the two phones are on my 5ghz network (802.11ac).

The only real issue Im having is that im not able to see my Music Directory on my NAS with the Shield PMS, but it is available on the original PMS setup. I rarely use Plex for streaming music, plus I use Roon more often.
What filesharing system are you using on your NAS? Samba/CIFS or NFS? I'm having a lot more trouble with CIFS than NFS.

I was thinking about putting PMS on the shield as well and using it as my primary playback for 4k. Recently I've been messing with kodi and really don't like it. I just didn't want to clog up my network with another instance of PMS, since I'm already running it on an Ubuntu server.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #10489 of 12089 Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm using SMB for now.

When Oppo dropped SMB1 support for their UHD players and the newer versions for Freenas dropped support for it as well, I began to transition to NFS, but then I discovered that some of my folders were not properly named to create NFS shares. Renaming them created a huge mess unfortunately.

So now I'm back on SMB with a little tweak in Freenas which allows for SMB1 support.

Because I primarily use my Oppo 203 as a Roon endpoint, needing SMB or NFS shares for this device alone is no longer the case. Plus considering the fact that both Kodi and MrMC have Plex intergration, the need to manually create shares and scrape metadata for both platforms is no longer needed.

I'll have the weekend s to troubleshoot why my Music folder is not accessible via the Shield's PMS, but when comparing the all of the folder settings, they are identical.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10490 of 12089 Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks as if my display was the culprit for the banding in the red background of some content using the native Netflix app on the Shield.

A firmware for my Sony Display was released last week, and while I installed it, I did not have time to perform a System Restore of the display's Android OS. With the Shield, after any major update, I always perform an OS system restore to iron out any issues that may arrive.

Over the weekend while troubleshooting my issue with not being able to share my Music Directory via Plex Media Server, which is now on the Shield (and got it working btw), my TV crapped out when I attempted to stream a few movies. The symptoms we're remeniscent of when I had my Shield connected to my Oppo 203's HDMI Input. With a beta firmware installed, this reaked havoc on my Shield, AVR, and Display. Restoring the Shield fixed everything.

I figured that there have been no major updates to the Shield in a few months, and the Shield is no longer attached to the Oppo, so all fingers pointed towards the TV. After doing a system restore on the TV, the crashes were gone.

Out of curiosity I tested the red background from The Last Jedi, and the banding was much improved, I also tested my digital copy from Google Play Movies, and again, improved background.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10491 of 12089 Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I'm toying with the idea of updating my Plex Media Server to the latest (1.15.6.1079?) version. It's definitely been a while (probably over a year) since I upgraded... I don't update often; if it ain't broke, don't fix it, sorta thing. But I've heard the Plex DVR is significantly more capable than the version I have, and I'm intrigued to check that out. Also, my 4K UHD library of RIPs has grown a fair amount since my last PMS update... and the version of PMS I'm running does not do a very good job (terrible, in fact) of transcoding 4K UHD video + lossless audio content to 1080p SDR picture + 2 channel audio (pretty much ALL of my endpoints/uses in the house except my main living room). Other users suggest their 4K UHD rips seem to get transcoded down just fine... and I have reason to believe my hardware should be up to the task... which has me pointing at the PMS software as the problem?

Shield is (by far and away) my primary use-case for my Plex Server, so rather than revive some old/inactive Plex Server thread (I searched back to Page 4 and couldn't find anything generic to PMS), I thought I'd ask my fellow Shield owners - any thoughts/input on recent Plex Media Server versions and how well they do/don't do with Shield?
post #10492 of 12089 Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still have PMS server running on my Freenas Server just for the DVR service. I don't have any future recordings set and probably won't until the fall season. I recall when the DVR was in beta, i tested it out on the Shield and ran into Drive sharing issues over my network. Rather than fight these issues, I waited until the DVR for PMS was available for BSD (Freenas). I haven't looked back since.

With the confidence I now have with the Shield handling my content, I'm going to try the DVR service soon, now that I have a month-long of 3-day weekends to try it out.

I think because now that I have my Freenas server "wired" to my switch downstairs, network performance overall has improved. I honestly do not know what's the future of Freenas, as there have not been any updates in a good number of months, but I'm seeing more updates for the Shield version of Plex Media Server compared.

I began having issues with updating PMS on my Freenas around January. One time it would update, another time, it would not. I started using Tautulli Remote as a means to monitor real-time information regarding streaming and user management. A few weeks later, an update to the PMS included these features, but then I began to see these "Must upgrade to version this or that" messages. As they became more common, I started wondering if the Shield could handle my content. Well, other than the TV crashing, which was a result of the display's firmware update and not performing an System Restore, the Shield as a PMS server has been rock solid.

Now locally I'm streaming content via Direct Play. My Pixel 2 Phone however transcodes the audio. Not a big deal, it's a phone. When I streamed UHD content simultaneously to the Shield, Pixel 2 (with transcoding) and my LG G5 phone, there were no buffering or "Plex server is not powerful enough....." messages at all.

Last Friday while on my lunch break at work, I decided to stream Captain America "Winter Soldier" on my Pixel 2. No buffering issues, and the video quality was excellent, only to find out that I forgot to limit the stream to a lower resolution while on a mobile network. With that said, any attempt to stream at much higher resolutions on my Freenas server would result in a lot of buffering.

Maybe this will encourage others if they are looking for an alternative for Media Consumption.
psuKinger and beerhunt like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 06-03-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #10493 of 12089 Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I took the Plex Media Server update. Overall, I'm pretty pleased! Nothing that I *need* plex to do appears "broke," at least at first glance. That means, first and foremost, my 2k SDR and 4K HDR Blu Ray rips are all there, playable on shield, with "original" PQ and bitstreaming lossless audio. Success!

The Live TV and DVR has come a loooong way. Shows a lot of potential! One key problem, that is very much "on-topic" for this thread, I think: Closed Captioning is on, and I can't turn it off. This seems to be Shield (or ATV) specific, as the same thing happened with the Plex Media Player via a Chrome browser on my Plex Media Server desktop, but I was able to find a "settings" feature that turned it off.... on Shield? Where's that setting at? How are people turning off the Closed Captioning for live TV? When I bring up the "menu", I only see five options on the first row (pause, FF&RW, Skip FW and BW), then a "settings buton" and a "little window" button below that... but neither of those options appear to bring up a menu/option to turn off the Closed Captioning....
post #10494 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Are they going to fix the issue with Autoswitch resolution and framerate? Currently with latest Kodi Leya 18.3 RC Build it still doesn't work, it is always forced to a fixed resolution and framerate, however it does change the correct colorspace output, sdr709 or sdr2020 or HDR depending on the content.
I prefer the upscaling to be handled by my Projector and not the box itself, very annoying. I'm also experiencing audio dropouts if you override recommended resolution (YCbCr 420 10bit SDR2020 @59.9 by any other resolution, once you play [email protected] content on youtube it starts dropping out audio.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #10495 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213

Still, the king of kings.
MCaugusto likes this.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro

Last edited by Snoogleheimer; 06-05-2019 at 01:56 AM.
post #10496 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I recently added some 4k movie files to my Shield to use through Plex.. when trying to stream to mobile devices in house the 4k files won't play on the tablet device at all. I have messed with quality settings and nothing seems to work. Is this because of the Internet speeds of the Shield (roughly 60 MBPS) or the tablet device on wifi (40MBPS) or is this even possible? Does Plex limit 4k movies for network streaming. Just wondering. Other 1080p movies play just fine.
post #10497 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
I recently added some 4k movie files to my Shield to use through Plex.. when trying to stream to mobile devices in house the 4k files won't play on the tablet device at all. I have messed with quality settings and nothing seems to work. Is this because of the Internet speeds of the Shield (roughly 60 MBPS) or the tablet device on wifi (40MBPS) or is this even possible? Does Plex limit 4k movies for network streaming. Just wondering. Other 1080p movies play just fine.
I play UHD rips on my Shield without issue at full speed with Plex or Kodi (streamed from my DLNA server). This is with bitrates exceeding 100 Mbps. But with mobile devices, it could depend on several factors. WiFi speed is of course one issue, but another is the ability of the device to play high bitrate H.265 video. If the device does not support H.265 natively, then either Plex or the device has to transcode it. The device may not have the performance to do it. I don't use Plex enough to really know if it's transcoding the video to H.264 or just sending a slower bitrate when it transcodes. Someone else might have a better understanding of it.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10498 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I play UHD rips on my Shield without issue at full speed with Plex or Kodi (streamed from my DLNA server). This is with bitrates exceeding 100 Mbps. But with mobile devices, it could depend on several factors. WiFi speed is of course one issue, but another is the ability of the device to play high bitrate H.265 video. If the device does not support H.265 natively, then either Plex or the device has to transcode it. The device may not have the performance to do it. I don't use Plex enough to really know if it's transcoding the video to H.264 or just sending a slower bitrate when it transcodes. Someone else might have a better understanding of it.
Yea the Shield plays it just fine, I was just testing on other devices to see if it would lower the resolution, but it won't load, it even says like Plex server unavailable, but it's only on 4k movies, other ones play fine right after that. It is super weird. Wish it sent an actual message saying it couldn't play it and for what reason, instead of acting like the server is unavailable.
post #10499 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
You can look at the info and it will show if it's direct playing or transcoding. I know my Galaxy S10 has no problem direct playing the video from my 100+Mb/s bitrate UHD files from from Plex. Although the audio does get transcoded.

post #10500 of 12089 Old 06-05-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post

Still, the king of kings.
I love Kodi, I just wish they would fix the back button to stop or pause the movie, MrMC gets this right, Kodi is a mess with it.
aaronwt and DesertDog like this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page