NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 354 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3596Likes

post #10591 of 12100 Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Looks like others are able to get it to work fine with Shield. Maybe revisit your setup. Enable CEC for volume? Reviews mention pressing a button (the one that looks like a mouse?) to activate mouse mode and some youtube setup videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97K5RsjERI
Thanks, CEC is enabled; the Shield remote controls the AVR perfectly. The new remote does volume/mute but on the shield, not the AVR. And the mouse button on the new remote does a mouse toggle, not a gyro "air mouse".

thx

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10592 of 12100 Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
Speculation from TechRadar indicates the new Shield TV will launch in November, and may include Google Stadia.

https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/n...adia-at-launch
I would recommend posting the original reporting instead so you aren't reading the speculation.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/gaming...eld-tv-stadia/

"What is interesting is that one person we've spoken to has told us that this is being developed to launch alongside Stadia in November. The idea being that it'll offer both the Stadia streaming experience alongside the gaming and TV streaming options that the current Shield offers. The new Shield will also feature a more streamlined controller and more advanced remote. A new controller would make a lot of sense - the existing Shield controller works well enough but it's not the most ergonomic of gaming peripherals.

Similarly, we hear that there will be a controller-free model and that the new console will support Google's own Stadia controller. Our contact suggests that Nvidia are going to position the new Nvidia Shield as your central Stadia supporting entertainment hub.

The Nvidia Shield has offered streamed gaming for a while using your gaming PC as a source, so it's extremely logical for Nvidia to look to both embrace and capitalise on all of the Stadia talk. We're expecting more info to come soon - if Nvidia can bring on board a few more TV streaming partners they could well end up creating a real alternative platform for those who would rather stream their games than own them."
post #10593 of 12100 Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
I would recommend posting the original reporting instead so you aren't reading the speculation.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/gaming...eld-tv-stadia/

"What is interesting is that one person we've spoken to has told us that this is being developed to launch alongside Stadia in November. The idea being that it'll offer both the Stadia streaming experience alongside the gaming and TV streaming options that the current Shield offers. The new Shield will also feature a more streamlined controller and more advanced remote. A new controller would make a lot of sense - the existing Shield controller works well enough but it's not the most ergonomic of gaming peripherals.

Similarly, we hear that there will be a controller-free model and that the new console will support Google's own Stadia controller. Our contact suggests that Nvidia are going to position the new Nvidia Shield as your central Stadia supporting entertainment hub.

The Nvidia Shield has offered streamed gaming for a while using your gaming PC as a source, so it's extremely logical for Nvidia to look to both embrace and capitalise on all of the Stadia talk. We're expecting more info to come soon - if Nvidia can bring on board a few more TV streaming partners they could well end up creating a real alternative platform for those who would rather stream their games than own them."
That all makes a lot of sense, especially with Nvidia being a gaming company. Hopefully that doesn't mean the HT crowd gets left in the dust, and they release it with the same feature set.

I hope they are listening, general consensus seems to be that the Shield is only missing a couple features that would make it complete.
aaronwt, chi_guy50 and beerhunt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10594 of 12100 Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
All I want is a f/w update to improve HDR and color space in case I upgrade my Plasma to a nice 4k display one day. Otherwise I'm fine with the current model. I have 7 of them running now and really don't need or want to lay out a bunch more cash for new hardware. If at all this would only be a necessity with an upgraded HDTV and AVR.
aaronwt, hogues and beerhunt like this.

post #10595 of 12100 Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Doesn't Stadia compete with Nvidias streaming service?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #10596 of 12100 Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
All I want is a f/w update to improve HDR and color space in case I upgrade my Plasma to a nice 4k display one day. Otherwise I'm fine with the current model. I have 7 of them running now and really don't need or want to lay out a bunch more cash for new hardware. If at all this would only be a necessity with an upgraded HDTV and AVR.
Oh yeah if your rocking 1080p you are golden with the Shield. Did you ever end up jumping back on Spectrum?
Sammy2 likes this.
post #10597 of 12100 Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard View Post

It does, although it has some advantages, like being able to stream games at 4k/60Hz with HDR (but you have to pay for that).

I assume Nvidia will have to upgrade GeForce Now and charge for it to compete at some point.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #10598 of 12100 Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard View Post

Maybe, except Geforce Now is free, so I don't see how Google's service can hurt Nvidia's bottom line especially if Stadia becomes compatible with the Shield. That might be why Nvidia is talking about an update to the Shield. There could be a need for newer hardware to be able to use Stadia.
post #10599 of 12100 Old 06-21-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I intend to use the Roku only for XoD/HBO streaming, but is there any other advantage of the Ultra over the Shield that I should be aware of?
Not really. The only thing I can think of is YouTube HDR support. Beyond that, the Shield is far better for streaming your local media, as you can get all the lossless audio codecs, which Roku doesn't support. It also supports far more caption, video and audio codecs than the Roku, and even the containers themselves. I don't need to transcode anything from my media server with my Shield. Even WTV files play perfectly.
chi_guy50 likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10600 of 12100 Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Not really. The only thing I can think of is YouTube HDR support. Beyond that, the Shield is far better for streaming your local media, as you can get all the lossless audio codecs, which Roku doesn't support. It also supports far more caption, video and audio codecs than the Roku, and even the containers themselves. I don't need to transcode anything from my media server with my Shield. Even WTV files play perfectly.

Thank you for that feedback. I do not stream any local media to speak of (and when I do, I use my Oppo UDP-203), so I guess I'm not missing out on anything by continuing to rely on my Shield for all of my OTT streaming apps other than XoD and HBO GO.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #10601 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Thank you for that feedback. I do not stream any local media to speak of (and when I do, I use my Oppo UDP-203), so I guess I'm not missing out on anything by continuing to rely on my Shield for all of my OTT streaming apps other than XoD and HBO GO.
While the Shield's upscaling isn't as good as the Oppo, the overall user experience (interface, navigation, eye candy) is much better on the Shield.

I was using my 103 as my primary player for local content, and I dealt with the 17 layers of menus as "the price you pay." Since getting a shield, I have barely turned on my Oppo for watching video.
aaronwt and chi_guy50 like this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #10602 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Any more news or updates on an updated Shield? Is that perhaps happening this fall?

Also - Is there any update on a Direct TV Now app?

I'm working on a theater room in my basement that has a projector (so no built in apps) and am trying to decide between the Shield, Apple TV, and Roku Ultra for streaming (I want a ethernet connection). It seems like both Shield and Apple TV are both close to being the perfect device but both have just a couple of glaring weaknesses, which I was hoping would get fixed in an updated Shield.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #10603 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still no DirecTV Now app for the Shield. Some people have gotten the DirecTV Now app for Firestick to work on the Shield. I haven't had any luck trying that. I just bought a Firestick, they are cheap enough, and use it for DirecTV Now. I use the Shield for everything else.
post #10604 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Any more news or updates on an updated Shield? Is that perhaps happening this fall?

I'm working on a theater room in my basement that has a projector (so no built in apps) and am trying to decide between the Shield, Apple TV, and Roku Ultra for streaming (I want a ethernet connection). It seems like both Shield and Apple TV are both close to being the perfect device but both have just a couple of glaring weaknesses, which I was hoping would get fixed in an updated Shield.
If you want the ability to stream from a local media server, the Shield is the only one on your list that supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, Atmos, etc. The Shield also supports closed captions far better than the Roku (can't speak to the ATV). For myself, the Shield would be the only choice here.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10605 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

Who says that you have to decide between them? After all, they are not mutually exclusive.

I have a Shield, the latest Roku Ultra, and an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and use them for different purposes. If budget is a concern, I would eliminate either the Shield or the Apple TV; the others are all relatively cheap.

If you have Comcast as your CTV provider, the Roku is the only one that officially supports the Xfinity Stream app for on-demand or live TV viewing, as I have touched on above.
aaronwt likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #10606 of 12100 Old 06-24-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
While the Shield's upscaling isn't as good as the Oppo, the overall user experience (interface, navigation, eye candy) is much better on the Shield.

I was using my 103 as my primary player for local content, and I dealt with the 17 layers of menus as "the price you pay." Since getting a shield, I have barely turned on my Oppo for watching video.

Actually, I feel that my Sony XBR-65Z9D display does the best job of upscaling. That's one reason why I use the Oppo, which I have set for Source Direct video output.
ckronengold likes this.

post #10607 of 12100 Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Who says that you have to decide between them? After all, they are not mutually exclusive.
I have a Shield, the latest Roku Ultra, and an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and use them for different purposes. If budget is a concern, I would eliminate either the Shield or the Apple TV; the others are all relatively cheap.

I agree on multiple devices, though if the new Shield just adds Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support and fixes the color space issues, it would become the king of boxes. I'll throw out a new option -- spend $35 on the Raspberry Pi 4, load this and you've got lossless audio playback for HD/ & 4k HDR stored media (though the Shield will be faster).

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #10608 of 12100 Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
I agree on multiple devices, though if the new Shield just adds Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support and fixes the color space issues, it would become the king of boxes. I'll throw out a new option -- spend $35 on the Raspberry Pi 4, load this and you've got lossless audio playback for HD/ & 4k HDR stored media (though the Shield will be faster).
Honestly, for Kodi you don't even need to spend that much. Plenty of cheapie Amlogic S912 based boxes out there, just install CoreElec on it and it works fine. I have one, the PQ is actually superior than the Shield's (surprises me but I can actually see it). I think it cost me <$30.

post #10609 of 12100 Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Just wanted to say thanks to the group for showing how to enter the Developer settings and set the Colorimetry feature to On, after doing that and setting my video settings to the max supported it now jumps between HDR and SDR and 709 and 2020 like it should depending on the video. Using this with an Epson 5050 and go into projector info and it reports the correct video signal.

Thanks
lockdown571 and ShermanOlsen like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #10610 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 12:47 AM

Really kind of bummed the new Shield is probably going to be nothing but a refresh and not a new system. Really a few niggling issues prevents the Shield from being the perfect TV box.

Unfortunately the Kodi people can’t figure out how to get Atmos and DV working on the Fire TV stick either. Ideally I’d like to be able to use the Kodi Netflix addon to be able to do both. As it stands now I either use my Shield to get Netflix Atmos or use my Vizio’s app to get DV. I have to sacrifice one to get the other.

post #10611 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
. As it stands now I either use my Shield to get Netflix Atmos or use my Vizio’s app to get DV. I have to sacrifice one to get the other.
Which is why I sucked it up and got an Apple TV 4k. Although now my Sony Android TV supports everything now except for Atmos in prime video.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #10612 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

If Hulu would get off their ass and update their app on the Shield it would make me very happy. But it seems like Google has somehow keeping them from putting their Hulu Live TV app on android boxes.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
post #10613 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really kind of bummed the new Shield is probably going to be nothing but a refresh and not a new system. Really a few niggling issues prevents the Shield from being the perfect TV box.

Unfortunately the Kodi people can’t figure out how to get Atmos and DV working on the Fire TV stick either. Ideally I’d like to be able to use the Kodi Netflix addon to be able to do both. As it stands now I either use my Shield to get Netflix Atmos or use my Vizio’s app to get DV. I have to sacrifice one to get the other.

I understand the desire to not want to compromise. But with the hardware you currently have. Is there after a difference between Netflix HDR and DV? I wonder if in a blind test you would even know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #10614 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
If Hulu would get off their ass and update their app on the Shield it would make me very happy. But it seems like Google has somehow keeping them from putting their Hulu Live TV app on android boxes.
At least FandangoNow finally updated their app on the Shield and can now watch 4k HDR on there. Before this, I was only able to watch 4k HDR on the Roku and it was like this for years.

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #10615 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
There's really no evidence to say one way or another. All we know is the codename. As XDA says: "Developers believe that this refreshed Tegra X1 will feature better power usage and a higher maximum GPU clock speed, though that depends on what model is being used on this new SHIELD Android TV product." Solid Nintendo Switch sales would be the driving force behind a low-cost buffing of the X1.

What makes sense is that they use the existing design but shrink it down from the ancient 20nm process for better power use and a clock bump. If you go to that trouble, it's trivial to add in Dolby hardware decode routines.
giomania likes this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #10616 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Which is why I sucked it up and got an Apple TV 4k. Although now my Sony Android TV supports everything now except for Atmos in prime video.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I’m not paying $130 just for Atmos on one app on a very limited selection of titles. No other interest in Apple hardware. Just hoping that Atmos comes to Netflix on Vizio at some point. Vudu and Prime have it.

It really doesn’t look like the new Shield is anything but a refresh with new controllers/remote. There really isn’t much reason for Nvidia to significantly upgrade the hardware at this point.

Last edited by DaveFi; 06-26-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #10617 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’m not paying $130 just for Atmos on one app on a very limited selection of titles. No other interest in Apple hardware. Just hoping that Atmos comes to Netflix on Vizio at some point. Vudu and Prime have it.

It really doesn’t look like the new Shield is anything but a refresh with new controllers/remote. There really isn’t much reason for Nvidia to significantly upgrade the hardware at this point.
I also tried out the Apple 4K TV last week, first problem right out of the box is that it wouldn't detect that my Epson 5050 couldn't do HDR, so had to change settings on the projector that I didn't have to do with the shield.
Then playing back a 4K HDR Rec 2020 video file it still only reported Rec 709 and SDR to the projector.
The real nail in the coffin was after I loaded Plex on the Apple 4K TV and played a 4K video file it would constantly pause and startup again. The same file using Plex on the Shield never had a problem.
So Apple back to Amazon. I will say the picture was very good on the Apple but not worth all the hassle.

post #10618 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I also tried out the Apple 4K TV last week, first problem right out of the box is that it wouldn't detect that my Epson 5050 couldn't do HDR, so had to change settings on the projector that I didn't have to do with the shield.
Then playing back a 4K HDR Rec 2020 video file it still only reported Rec 709 and SDR to the projector.
The real nail in the coffin was after I loaded Plex on the Apple 4K TV and played a 4K video file it would constantly pause and startup again. The same file using Plex on the Shield never had a problem.
So Apple back to Amazon. I will say the picture was very good on the Apple but not worth all the hassle.
A while back I purchased a ATV 4k off craigslist for $80. I wasn't heavily invested in the Apple infrastructure so really had no use for it.

post #10619 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So please help me understand where the limitations for the Shield TV fall.

I have 3, but only 1 is connected to a 4k display with a 3.1 Vizio soundbar. The TV detects and displays HDR. Another Shield TV is in a home theater streaming from Kodi and the audio is set to passthrough to the reciever which detects and outputs Atmos.

Is everyone pointing towards a hardware shortcoming or the lack of support in an app?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #10620 of 12100 Old 06-26-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe the most significant limitation for many users (I'm not one of them) is the lack of Dolby Vision. For some it might be the lack of YouTube HDR support. Beyond that, I believe the remaining limitations apply to specific apps on the Shield, not the Shield itself.
aaronwt likes this.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page