NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3603Likes

post #10681 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
How would you know? Did you compare it to an Xbox One X? This is actually my question. Is there a streaming device that matches its audio output? The shield is 1/2 the volume of my Oppo 205 playing a UHD Disc with the same content. The Apple TV 4k is a total POS, sound is total garbage on that one. I returned it the next day. I am going to try to make the shield work as best I can. It is strange that the YouTube app is very loud and clear, but the Amazon, Netflix, HBO stuff is lacking dynamic range. It could be that I am asking too much of this device??? I run mostly McIntosh gear, and their stuff does what it says, always.

I will try the HDMI Passthrough later to see if that does anything.

I have checked dynamic EQ, it is off. The only thing on is Audessey reference. I even tried turning that off to no avail.

Xbox does use Atmos for everything, but it was much louder before the update because I had an Apple TV Gen 3 on there and never used it because of the output differential. Keep in mind that was under a different receiver as well. I am well versed in setting systems up, and this is damn near a 6 figure system so output is not an issue. I hope there is a fix, or someone can test their output on Netflix back and forth between Shield and Xbox.

Greg

Greg
Obviously none of us here who have been using the Shield for years know much of anything. Clearly we all missed the fact that the Shield outputs substandard audio. Thanks for coming here and straightening us all out...LOL

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
The Blu-Ray or UHD Blu Ray App is the only means to acquire Lossless audio on the Xbox One. When streaming through apps such as Kodi or Plex, this is not the case.
Quote:
The Shield cannot decode lossless audio formats, and therefore must Passthrough the signal to an AVR or device capable of decoding the signal. As a result, this is why Shield users with capable AVRs can hear Lossless audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD/Atmos and DTSMA/DTS-X. That's Full Bitstreaming.

The Xbox One cannot do this and therefore your receiver will only acquire Dolby Digital/Plus and DTS "Lossy" audio.

Atmos coming from the likes of Netflix on the Xbox One, or any capable device, is a Lossy variant of Dolby Digital Plus.
Ok so one of these are incorrect or I'm confused.
post #10683 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Ok so one of these are incorrect or I'm confused.
Both statements are accurate, but refer to two different methods of playback. When you use the XBox as a disc player, it will bitstream all the lossless codecs for decoding by the AVR. However, any method of playing lossless audio from a networked source does not permit lossless bitstreaming to the AVR. It has to be decoded in the XBox, if able, or you can't play it at all. The Shield has no such streaming restriction, but it can be a little tricky to ensure that audio is bitstreamed to an AVR. Not only does the Shield itself need to be configured correctly, but whatever playback app you're using (Kodi, VLC, MrMC, etc.) has to be configured separately.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10684 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Both statements are correct.

Look at these screen shots.

You're seeing Atmos because the Xbox One is using the Dolby MAT format. This is the case for apps such as Kodi and Plex.

Xbox One X using Kodi/Plex

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 07-01-2019 at 01:59 PM.
post #10685 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Shield using Kodi/Plex

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10686 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Obviously none of us here who have been using the Shield for years know much of anything. Clearly we all missed the fact that the Shield outputs substandard audio. Thanks for coming here and straightening us all out...LOL

Hey thanks for the rude comment and the superior tone. I am an audio quality first guy and it isn't outputting anywhere near the sound that I would consider acceptable. I am sure it's great if you have a tv only setup or a soundbar, but it doesn't cut it for me. It's no big deal, this is the best it can do, but it isn't something that I am interested in. I can just return it.

Keep in mind I am not talking about playing ripped UHD files, I am talking about the streaming apps. I have no desire to rip movies or play pirated stuff. I have the UHD discs and obviously no streaming apps will compete with a UHD Blu-Ray.

Greg

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #10687 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9308 Post(s)
Liked: 5989
Quote:
Hey thanks for the rude comment and the superior tone. I am an audio quality first guy and it isn't outputting anywhere near the sound that I would consider acceptable. I am sure it's great if you have a tv only setup or a soundbar, but it doesn't cut it for me. It's no big deal, this is the best it can do, but it isn't something that I am interested in. I can just return it.

Keep in mind I am not talking about playing ripped UHD files, I am talking about the streaming apps. I have no desire to rip movies or play pirated stuff. I have the UHD discs and obviously no streaming apps will compete with a UHD Blu-Ray.

Greg

Greg
The Shield is bitstreaming that content. Well the Multi-channel audio content. So the Shield is doing nothing to it. Your receiver is the one decoding it. With the Xbox, it is decoding the audio and sending it out as multi-channel PCM audio.

So if it doesn't sound right then either your receiver is mucking with it. Or the Xbox is processing the signal to the point where it does not sound like it is supposed to.

The streaming apps use lossy audio. Typically DD+. There should not be the audible difference you described between the two. The quality of the audio should be similar. In every setup I have I know it is. But the main issue I have with the Xbox is that it can mess with the sound stage, when it sends out Atmos all the time. And then typically prevents a receiver from properly applying post processing.

My receivers sound much better applying Atmos or DTS:X post processing with content than what the xbox can do. They will properly place the audio in the sound stage. While the Xbox, in some instances, does a very poor job of it. And mixes sounds where they should not be.
giomania, mjwagner and muscles like this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10688 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Shield is bitstreaming that content. Well the Multi-channel audio content. So the Shield is doing nothing to it. Your receiver is the one decoding it. With the Xbox, it is decoding the audio and sending it out as multi-channel PCM audio.

So if it doesn't sound right then either your receiver is mucking with it. Or the Xbox is processing the signal to the point where it does not sound like it is supposed to.

The streaming apps use lossy audio. Typically DD+. There should not be the audible difference you described between the two. The quality of the audio should be similar. In every setup I have I know it is. But the main issue I have with the Xbox is that it can mess with the sound stage, when it sends out Atmos all the time. And then typically prevents a receiver from properly applying post processing.

My receivers sound much better applying Atmos or DTS:X post processing with content than what the xbox can do. They will properly place the audio in the sound stage. While the Xbox, in some instances, does a very poor job of it. And mixes sounds where they should not be.

Finally, this I understand. That makes sense, because I have gone through all other streamers. The Nvidia shield has the best interface, remote, and menus. I guess I will try a few things. Should I try to switch the Xbox to bitstreaming? Is this possible?

Thanks for taking the time to write this, I do appreciate it.

Greg

Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
post #10689 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:

Greg

Greg
"Keep in mind I am not talking about playing ripped UHD files, I am talking about the streaming apps."

Streaming apps? It seems you would have known exactly what to expect. Most of us know the current limitations of streaming going into it.
mjwagner, groove93 and ckronengold like this.
post #10690 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Is there a streaming device that matches its audio output? The shield is 1/2 the volume of my Oppo 205 playing a UHD Disc with the same content.
I think that's one of the reasons they invented buttons on the remote to control the volume. It's irrelevant at what volume something plays back at (versus another source/device) and you certainly can't compare audio quality without level matching them first. Also quality wise comparing a UHD disc to streaming services audio is not a fair fight as the content isn't the same.
mjwagner, muscles and ckronengold like this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #10691 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finally, this I understand. That makes sense, because I have gone through all other streamers. The Nvidia shield has the best interface, remote, and menus. I guess I will try a few things. Should I try to switch the Xbox to bitstreaming? Is this possible?

Thanks for taking the time to write this, I do appreciate it.

Greg

If you have the Xbox set to "Bitstream Out" and the Bitstream format set to "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater", then the Xbox will output Atmos audio all the time.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 07-01-2019 at 03:47 PM.
post #10692 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
"Keep in mind I am not talking about playing ripped UHD files, I am talking about the streaming apps."

Streaming apps? It seems you would have known exactly what to expect. Most of us know the current limitations of streaming going into it.

I realize that, that's why I was wondering how the Xbox has so much LFE in it's streaming apps. I streamed the movie "Beats" on the Xbox and it was shaking the dishes in my sink 50 feet away, I switched inputs on the receiver to the Shield and hit resume to test it and the subs don't even move. It is a discrepancy, I wanted to make sure that I was using the Shield correctly, or that I had set it up correctly.

What I can gather is that the Xbox is processing its audio differently than other streamers and might be amplifying the sound or manipulating it. This seems to be the answer to my question. Thanks everyone.

Greg

post #10693 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Greg

Greg
Oh don’t get your panties in a bunch...
One of my Shields is in my home theater going thru a Denon x6400h with a full 7.2.4 ATMOS setup so I’m guessing I’d notice if it wasn’t performing well. In addition to other gear I do have an Xbox One connected there as well, but full disclosure it’s not an “x”. But like I said before, from a streaming perspective I’m just not hearing the issue you are hearing with the Shield in my home theater comparing it with a FireTV Stick 4k, an AppleTV 4k, and my Xbox One.

Mark
post #10694 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:

Greg

Greg

...if you’re blaming a device that is BITSTREAMING the audio...you are clearly beyond your depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Gary J, mjwagner and ckronengold like this.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #10695 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
...if you’re blaming a device that is BITSTREAMING the audio...you are clearly beyond your depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am always beyond my depth. Like how I work 60 hours a week running my own business. Perhaps I don't want to know every facet of how some piece of audio/video gear works, I really don't care. I admit, I am a music first person. I like quality audio in my movies. I had asked why the Xbox has more dynamic range, what exactly was it that made it so much louder and powerful sounding. I wanted to make sure I had the Shield hooked up correctly that's all.

Just looked it up online and the Nvidia Shield doesn't support Atmos at all in Netflix. I guess the Xbox has support. It is such a pain that no one streaming box does it all. They are all crippled in some way.

post #10696 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Just looked it up online and the Nvidia Shield doesn't support Atmos at all in Netflix. I guess the Xbox has support. It is such a pain that no one streaming box does it all. They are all crippled in some way.
If you don’t need full support of local ripped media with atmos/dts:x then the Apple TV 4K probably comes closest to doing everything. Dolby vision and atmos support on all major services that support them plus the large iTunes library.
mjwagner and muscles like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #10697 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
If you don’t need full support of local ripped media with atmos/dts:x then the Apple TV 4K probably comes closest to doing everything. Dolby vision and atmos support on all major services that support them plus the large iTunes library.

Forgive my ignorance but is Atmos support something that cannot be implemented into the Netflix app on the shield?

I have a Apple 4k in the bedroom, I could always swap them. I don't have an AVR up there so it wouldn't matter what is supported.

Greg

post #10698 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but is Atmos support something that cannot be implemented into the Netflix app on the shield?

I have a Apple 4k in the bedroom, I could always swap them. I don't have an AVR up there so it wouldn't matter what is supported.

Greg
Apple TV is the only streaming device that supports Atmos across Prime, Netflix, and Vudu as far as I know.
Do you have an EQ adjustment or something on the Xbox that is effecting it?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #10699 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Apple TV is the only streaming device that supports Atmos across Prime, Netflix, and Vudu as far as I know.
Do you have an EQ adjustment or something on the Xbox that is effecting it?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Not that I know of. I do have it set to bitstream atmos so maybe that is causing the boost in output.

post #10700 of 12130 Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
It certainly could be easily added. It’s s financial decision between Nvidia and Netflix.
muscles likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #10701 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am always beyond my depth. Like how I work 60 hours a week running my own business. Perhaps I don't want to know every facet of how some piece of audio/video gear works, I really don't care. I admit, I am a music first person. I like quality audio in my movies. I had asked why the Xbox has more dynamic range, what exactly was it that made it so much louder and powerful sounding. I wanted to make sure I had the Shield hooked up correctly that's all.

Yeah, unfortunately it's the current environment with streaming devices that one device won't do it all depending on your requirements. I'm not a huge Apple fan but I ended up adding a ATV 4k to my streaming device "collection" just to get ATMOS support on NetFlix and "muliview" support on PSVue for sports, neither of which are supported by the Shield or the FireTV Stick 4k. Actually their are several things currently not supported by the Shield. One example is that the Shield does not support HDR on YouTube (due to lack of VP9 profile 2 support). Even with it's known limitations, no DV support is another one that is well known, it is still arguably one of the best streaming devices available.

Mark
post #10702 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Greg
It's not 100% clear to me if it is just an upgrade to the NetFlix app that is required or if their is a more basic limitation of the Shield itself. While I have seen some posts that indicate it is just an app update that NetFlix has to push I have also seen other posts indicating their were hardware and/or firmware issue at the root of the problem. I only have ATMOS capability in my home theater so once I added a ATV 4k (which does support ATMOS on NetFlix) there I honestly stopped following the issue.

Mark
post #10703 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
It's not 100% clear to me if it is just an upgrade to the NetFlix app that is required or if their is a more basic limitation of the Shield itself. While I have seen some posts that indicate it is just an app update that NetFlix has to push I have also seen other posts indicating their were hardware and/or firmware issue at the root of the problem. I only have ATMOS capability in my home theater so once I added a ATV 4k (which does support ATMOS on NetFlix) there I honestly stopped following the issue.
I can't imagine there's a hardware issue with it. The Shield supports Atmos with Vudu, and it's the same audio codec (DD+) in use. And it of course supports bitstreaming TrueHD/Atmos without issue.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10704 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I can't imagine there's a hardware issue with it. The Shield supports Atmos with Vudu, and it's the same audio codec (DD+) in use. And it of course supports bitstreaming TrueHD/Atmos without issue.
Yeah, I thought for a long time that it was just an update to the app that NetFlix needed to make. But I recall reading here or over in the Nvidia forums that it had something to do with the specific container, or something like that, that NetFlix was using that was unique to NetFlix. If I can find the post I will reference it here...again it could be just me not understanding and/or following this specific issue closely enough so I certainly could be wrong.

Mark
post #10705 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought for a long time that it was just an update to the app that NetFlix needed to make. But I recall reading here or over in the Nvidia forums that it had something to do with the specific container, or something like that, that NetFlix was using that was unique to NetFlix. If I can find the post I will reference it here...again it could be just me not understanding and/or following this specific issue closely enough so I certainly could be wrong.
So I do think I'm wrong here (wouldn't be the first time...or the last...LOL). I seem to recall some folks using Kodi and the NetFlix addon to get ATMOS support in NetFlix on the Shield so it can't be a hardware/firmware limitation.
atc98092 likes this.

Mark
post #10706 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
So I do think I'm wrong here (wouldn't be the first time...or the last...LOL). I seem to recall some folks using Kodi and the NetFlix addon to get ATMOS support in NetFlix on the Shield so it can't be a hardware/firmware limitation.
Right. Netflix addon for Kodi supports Atmos just fine on my Shield and my Sony Z9D. Neither are supported via the normal app. I dont know why Netflix puts in all this effort to have Atmos audio yet only supports it on a handful of devices.
aaronwt, mjwagner and chopples123 like this.
post #10707 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Netflix Kodi add-on for the Shield is imo proof that this device is fully capable of handling lots of things that can be implemented via Software.

With the Amazon Prime app, there was no update to acquire Dolby Atmos. They just flipped the switch.

The Shield has been capable of bitstreaming DTSMA since 2015, and it didn't take long for Dolby TrueHD to get support as well.

aaronwt and mjwagner like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #10708 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Just looked it up online and the Nvidia Shield doesn't support Atmos at all in Netflix.
Starting there would have saved you a lot of time and effort.

Quote:
Perhaps I don't want to know every facet of how some piece of audio/video gear works, I really don't care.
This is a bizarrely long string of questions from someone who doesn't want to know how things work and doesn't care.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #10709 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Starting there would have saved you a lot of time and effort.

This is a bizarrely long string of questions from someone who doesn't want to know how things work and doesn't care.

Honestly I thought it would be current across the board for streaming. I didn't pay it much attention because it doesn't cost much and I have a 45 day return policy. I just wanted to try it out on a whim. The whole streaming universe is such a convoluted, needlessly complex situation.

Not a bizarre string if you look at my OP. I wanted to find something that had the dynamic range of the Xbox One X that was more user friendly and didn't require me to turn on the xbox every single time I wanted to watch something.

Greg

post #10710 of 12130 Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
The Netflix Kodi add-on for the Shield is imo proof that this device is fully capable of handling lots of things that can be implemented via Software.

With the Amazon Prime app, there was no update to acquire Dolby Atmos. They just flipped the switch.

The Shield has been capable of bitstreaming DTSMA since 2015, and it didn't take long for Dolby TrueHD to get support as well.

Agree, had zero problems using the Netflix addon, lossy atmos works flawlessly and I like the fact I can import series links straight into my Library

I have seen a few posts with regards to the xbox.

Xbox uses Dolby MAT which is PCM with metadata. When enabled, in order to mix in the system sounds and other things it will always output as Dolby MAT regardless of the signal/audio codec it is receiving. Third Party Apps do not have access to the necessary api's to process atmos (hence the Plex Server Transcoding audio)

The Blu-ray Player and Games have access to this api, I believe Netflix gets round this by using the Edge browser (first party app) in a web wrapper for playback

cheers
groove93 and muscles like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page