NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3645Likes

post #10831 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Netflix is a "system app" that you cant uninstall. Do a force stop, clear data, uninstall updates. Then update the app and see if that fixes it.

Was messing around and did notice the uninstall option wasn't selectable. Following your steps, I don't see anything to do with "uninstall updates". Only things I see are- force stop, disable/enable, clear data, clear cache. Further troubleshooting, I found playback did not crash if I switched it to the 2.0 audio track. As soon as I switched back over to the 5.1 track it crashed within 20 seconds of playback like usual.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
I checked and am running the 7.2.3 build. I put my serial # in for that test build, and as you said it looks like the official update for PLEX will be in the near future. I'm currently trying to figure out how to actually "uninstall" the netflix app, I only see a "disable/enable" option when selected from the apps menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Netflix is a "system app" that you cant uninstall. Do a force stop, clear data, uninstall updates. Then update the app and see if that fixes it.
Sorry about that. Didn’t think about it being a a system app. What sjm817 suggested is a good thing to try.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #10833 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Was messing around and did notice the uninstall option wasn't selectable. Following your steps, I don't see anything to do with "uninstall updates". Only things I see are- force stop, disable/enable, clear data, clear cache. Further troubleshooting, I found playback did not crash if I switched it to the 2.0 audio track. As soon as I switched back over to the 5.1 track it crashed within 20 seconds of playback like usual.
Is surround set to Auto under Display & Sounds, Advanced Settings, Surround Sound? If not, try setting it to auto.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10834 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Is surround set to Auto under Display & Sounds, Advanced Settings, Surround Sound? If not, try setting it to auto.

It is on auto already :/

*edit* looks like there was in fact a netflix update in the app store, and that has fixed it. Kind of weird design that it wouldn't update automatically with everything else... but problem solved never the less.
dfkimbro likes this.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2

Last edited by sb01gt; 07-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #10835 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Picked up a shield on prime day from the amazon warehouse deal (returned units) for a good price. Before I start getting into more apps, emulators, gamestream, etc. I just want to get the standard stuff working properly and have some issues after initial setup that maybe you guys can help with.

• Amazon Prime - Tested Jack Ryan, UHD HDR & atmos worked fine.
  • Netflix - About 10 seconds after starting a video it kicks me back to the shield home screen. Have tried both HDR & HD content, wi-fi (177mbps) and ethernet (250mbps) tested speeds in app, and a shield restart. *Nothing I've tried has fixed this issue yet*
  • PLEX - Streamed some 4K HDR files, both atmos & DTS:X in 'direct play' with audio passthrough. Only experienced one hiccup which was an error about "network speed not fast enough to stream the specific file". I then tried ethernet and resumed playing for a bit, didn't get the error a second time. Maybe someone else can confirm that streams 4k hdr mkv's over wi-fi if it is normal to see that error sometimes?
  • Shield TV remote - Put in new batteries when I got it, very hit or miss on working until I walk closer to the shield (it's in another room with my AVR/UHD player in a closet). Don't have this issue with the game controller, or my firestick remote. I've been using the remote android app off my phone in the meantime, might check into a discussed product called "FLIRC" I saw in earlier posts since I use a harmony remote usually.
If there's anything I else should try to fix the Netflix issue please let me know. Any other thoughts/comments from people who have had a similar situation on the other stuff are welcome too. If you need any more info from my end to help with some troubleshooting let me know as well, thanks.

FWIW, I've been using this inexpensive RF remote for my Shield and it works like a charm. Very ergonomically pleasant--and the full miniature keyboard on the back comes in handy.
aaronwt likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #10836 of 12227 Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I noticed if you use the Shield for hours and hours it will eventually "lock up". anyone else get this?
post #10837 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
It is on auto already :/

*edit* looks like there was in fact a netflix update in the app store, and that has fixed it. Kind of weird design that it wouldn't update automatically with everything else... but problem solved never the less.
Was just going to say....you need to go to the app store. for some reason, Netflix (and some other native apps) weren't updating for me, even though all the udpate settings were set to auto.

once I updated the Netflix app, the problem was fixed. Netflix is actually aware of the issue, and they helped me troubleshoot.

the other solution, just fyi, is to select Stereo as the audio format before playing the content. It doesn't crash. It was something with the surround sound implementation causing the app to crash.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #10838 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
I noticed if you use the Shield for hours and hours it will eventually "lock up". anyone else get this?

I haven't seen it myself. I will sometimes leave YouTube playing music for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronwt and TriTon464 like this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #10839 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

My grand kids have been at my house for the past week and they've been binge watching Disney and Pixar movies non stop. Haven't had any problems with either of my Shields locking up. This was streaming local content from my Plex server to Kodi.
rustolemite and TriTon464 like this.
post #10840 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I have a current generation Shield TV that I've been using for playing 1080p rips of my Blu-ray collection for viewing with my HT projector. The files are stored on a Asustor server running the Plex TV server app. I have a gigabit Ethernet network in my home that connects the server and Shield TV. I also have a couple of UHDTVs that support the Plex app. and I have also used those for viewing the 1080p Blu-ray rips. More recently I ripped around 60 of my UHD (4K) Blu-rays and stored the files on my server (took about 3TB total). I can play these back just fine using the Plex viewer app on my laptop PC (connected by wifi) and also on my desktop PC (connected via Ethernet). The Plex app. on my LG OLED UHDTV will successfully play some (perhaps half) of the 4K videos as long as I do not turn subtitles on (for some unknown reason). The Shield TV will successfully play only about 2/3 of the 4K Blu-ray rips. I also tested the Shield TV with a couple of the troublesome 4K video placed on a USB (3.0) drive plugged directly into the Shield TV and the result was the same as going thru the network. Of course these 4K videos have about twice the data rate (typically around 60 Mbps) of a typical 1080p Blu-ray rip and 3 to 4 times the data rates of 4K streaming content from sources such as Amazon and Netflix. My conclusion is that the Shield TV does not have enough processing power to handle the most demanding 4K rips although it's somewhat more capable than the processing in my LG OLED UHDTV (C8 model from last year). I hope that the next generation Shield TV will offer increased processing power that will allow it fully handle 4K videos at the data rates and encoding levels used with Ultra HD Blu-rays.

My shield plays my 4K rips fine, are your wired or wireless? I am wired and no issues with a few dozen 4K rips.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #10841 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
My shield plays my 4K rips fine, are your wired or wireless? I am wired and no issues with a few dozen 4K rips.
I agree as well my Shield with Plex has played every 4K video. Does he have "Direct Play" turned on for the Plex? And the Shield needs to be wired not wireless.
I was using Kodi but it would buffer or if paused or jumper forward the audio would be out of sync, I have had none of these problems with Plex.
Also as for the LG not playing them either I have a Samsung UBD-M9500 4K player and using the Plex it will not play any 4K files, but those same files stream perfectly on the Shield.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #10842 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I agree as well my Shield with Plex has played every 4K video. Does he have "Direct Play" turned on for the Plex? And the Shield needs to be wired not wireless.
I was using Kodi but it would buffer or if paused or jumper forward the audio would be out of sync, I have had none of these problems with Plex.
Also as for the LG not playing them either I have a Samsung UBD-M9500 4K player and using the Plex it will not play any 4K files, but those same files stream perfectly on the Shield.
I've concluded the real limitation for me was the performance of the Plex app. Several, but not all, of these same 4K videos that have issues playing with Plex will play OK using the Kodi app on the Shield TV. I will go back and check the settings for the Plex app to see if that's what was causing the problems playing the 4K videos. BTW my Shield TV is on an 1Gb wired network. I've also found that the Plex app on a 4K Fire TV stick has issues playing some of the 4K videos from my network server.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-20-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #10843 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
I've concluded the real limitation for me was the performance of the Plex app. Several, but not all, of these same 4K videos that have issues playing with Plex will play OK using the Kodi app on the Shield TV. I will go back and check the settings for the Plex app to see if that's what was causing the problems playing the 4K videos. BTW my Shield TV is on an 1Gb wired network. I've also found that the Plex app on a 4K Fire TV stick has issues playing some of the 4K videos from my network server.
Likely your issue is that Plex thinks it needs to transcode when it does not.

If it plays flawlessly in Kodi, the renderer (AKA the Shield) is having no issues playing the source content natively.

Your issue is not with the renderer or source content or the app (Plex), rather Plex is trying to transcode (or re-encode your video and audio) and the host device that houses the file isn't computationally fast enough to re-encode the video on the fly.

See if you can "Direct Play" you files via Plex.
aaronwt and rustolemite like this.
post #10844 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

If it plays flawlessly in Kodi, the renderer (AKA the Shield) is having no issues playing the source content natively.

Your issue is not with the renderer or source content or the app (Plex), rather Plex is trying to transcode (or re-encode your video and audio) and the host device that houses the file isn't computationally fast enough to re-encode the video on the fly.

I assume "direct play" is an option somewhere in the Plex app settings on the Shield TV?

Ron Jones
post #10845 of 12227 Old 07-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I recently tried the Apple 4K TV and with Plex loaded it still had buffering issues, so far the Shield is only device that has been able to handle 4K MKVs without buffering or audio issues.
And yes 100% need Direct Play to be enabled.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #10846 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

I see the the Direct Play option on the Windows Plex app (which is checked and the 4K files play without issue on my laptop), but cannot find that option in the settings for the Plex app on the Shield TV. So how do I get Direct Play with the Shield?

Ron Jones
post #10847 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 634
post #10848 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I recently tried the Apple 4K TV and with Plex loaded it still had buffering issues, so far the Shield is only device that has been able to handle 4K MKVs without buffering or audio issues.

And yes 100% need Direct Play to be enabled.
Ive had no issues with buffering using my ATV 4K and shield. As well as when I use wireless devices like my FireTV 4K stick or Roku Streaming stick +. But I have a very robust wifi network. Plus my UHD Plex pC has no problem transcoding the audio for those wifi devices. But they will all direct play the UHD video from my UHD MKV rips.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10849 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Does the Shield do UHD blu-ray menus?
Not it does not. But you can get access to the disc content when playing the ISO in Kodi or MrMC.

The OPPO can play back the UHD rips in the right format, not iso though. But the oppo uhd HD player has been made in awhile now.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
mikela likes this.

post #10850 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Is the hard drive mainly to store your Blu Ray's or to download content? I thought most content is copyrighted and cannot be downloaded? How do you get your Blu Ray's onto the drive? sorry if that is a stupid question, I have no idea.

Nvidia support is very bad. A question was escalated 2 weeks ago. He contacted me right away to push beta firmware that day. Never did. 2 weeks no firmware and have not heard from them. have called several times they said they will get back to me but not so far.....
post #10851 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Had terrible problems trying to play 4k rips today.

Pauses, freezes, interrupted audio

How do I troubleshoot? I've never had these issues before ?

I'm running my movies through USb3 attached storage - an 8tb wd hard drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10852 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Is the hard drive mainly to store your Blu Ray's or to download content? I thought most content is copyrighted and cannot be downloaded? How do you get your Blu Ray's onto the drive? sorry if that is a stupid question, I have no idea.
While media can be stored on either the internal Shield drive or one connected via USB, most people use a NAS storage device or other computer on the network. You can legally rip a disc you have purchased, which removes the DRM protection and makes it playable on devices like the Shield, or a Roku or Blu Ray player that supports DLNA. Because of the file sizes, you can't store much on a Shield internal drive. A ripped UHD movie can exceed 50 GB, and even most Blu Ray movies would be 20-30 GB. If you have many discs to rip, you need storage in the TB range. Software such as MakeMKV is very easy to use, and makes a perfect copy of whatever you select from the disc, with the exception of Dolby Vision metadata.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10853 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm experiencing buffering when playing directly from a USB attached 4-bay Mediasonic Probox filled with WD Reds. Buffering lasts a few seconds and then catches up. Usually the audio gets out of sync and pressing pause and play fixes it. The Mediasonic contains all my blu-ray rips in folder structure (meaning original quality, not re-encoded). Originally it used to do this maybe 1 out of 10 times but lately it seems like every time. Any ideas?
post #10854 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
I'm experiencing buffering when playing directly from a USB attached 4-bay Mediasonic Probox filled with WD Reds. Buffering lasts a few seconds and then catches up. Usually the audio gets out of sync and pressing pause and play fixes it. The Mediasonic contains all my blu-ray rips in folder structure (meaning original quality, not re-encoded). Originally it used to do this maybe 1 out of 10 times but lately it seems like every time. Any ideas?
I have no problem playing them over my network with mediasonic enclosures. I use five of them(4 bay versions) with my three unRAID setups. I use seven Sans digital enclosures(5 bay)also with my unraid setups. But whether the data is read from MediaSonic, SansDigital, or from drives connected to the MB Sata ports, they play back the same for me.

post #10855 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
While media can be stored on either the internal Shield drive or one connected via USB, most people use a NAS storage device or other computer on the network. You can legally rip a disc you have purchased, which removes the DRM protection and makes it playable on devices like the Shield, or a Roku or Blu Ray player that supports DLNA. Because of the file sizes, you can't store much on a Shield internal drive. A ripped UHD movie can exceed 50 GB, and even most Blu Ray movies would be 20-30 GB. If you have many discs to rip, you need storage in the TB range. Software such as MakeMKV is very easy to use, and makes a perfect copy of whatever you select from the disc, with the exception of Dolby Vision metadata.
FWIW, makemkv will preserve Dolby vision on a full backup, but playing it back with dv is limited to only a few devices. I backup my DV uhd discs and play them back on my oppo (runs off my nas just as if I had stuck the shiny disc in), but also RIP them to mkv for use with plex everywhere else (with no dv).

And yes, my nas has 55tb to support a few hundred uhd's and a few thousand CDs.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #10856 of 12227 Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have no problem playing them over my network with mediasonic enclosures. I use five of them(4 bay versions) with my three unRAID setups. I use seven Sans digital enclosures(5 bay)also with my unraid setups. But whether the data is read from MediaSonic, SansDigital, or from drives connected to the MB Sata ports, they play back the same for me.
Thank you. You have a truly awesome setup. I'm glad your setup works for you, but I'm not 100% clear on your message though. The commonalities in our setups are the Shield and the MediaSonic boxes, while the differences are network connection vs USB3, and maybe the hard drives inside the MediaSonics. Due to $$ (or lack of) I'm pretty much stuck with the WD Reds for now. If you're suggesting I try a network connection instead of USB, I think my Synology NAS has a USB port so I suppose I might be able to do that, I just always thought a direct connection via USB would be faster than a network connection.
post #10857 of 12227 Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
Thank you. You have a truly awesome setup. I'm glad your setup works for you, but I'm not 100% clear on your message though. The commonalities in our setups are the Shield and the MediaSonic boxes, while the differences are network connection vs USB3, and maybe the hard drives inside the MediaSonics. Due to $$ (or lack of) I'm pretty much stuck with the WD Reds for now. If you're suggesting I try a network connection instead of USB, I think my Synology NAS has a USB port so I suppose I might be able to do that, I just always thought a direct connection via USB would be faster than a network connection.
I use a Synology NAS with WD Red's that I bought back in 2013 for all my media content connected to my Shield via my network. I use one of my Shields as the PMS. I experience no problems streaming my content to any of the streaming devices in my home.

Mark
post #10858 of 12227 Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Have you tried the PlexKodiConnect add-on? it uses the Plex Media Server to do all the heavy lifting and just dresses it up withe Kodi front end. So if the plex app is your problem, you don't have to use the plex app.

Another big plus is being able to maintain all of your separate Plex libraries (4k UHD Movies, HD 1080 Movies, Kids Movies, etc.) that normally requires a lot more work (video nodes and/or smart playlists, etc) in Kodi.
groove93 likes this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #10859 of 12227 Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Thumbs up on using the Plex Add-on for Kodi. If you're seeing issues with the native Plex App, the Kodi app, considering you're having better luck with this app, will work out better for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #10860 of 12227 Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I use a Synology NAS with WD Red's that I bought back in 2013 for all my media content connected to my Shield via my network. I use one of my Shields as the PMS. I experience no problems streaming my content to any of the streaming devices in my home.
Thanks. Yours is the second view point indicating that a network connection would be better than connecting directly via USB. My Synology NAS has two USB ports so I could try connecting the MediaSonic Probox to the NAS and then stream over the network. But if connecting it directly to the Shield via USB is the bottleneck, it seems like that bottleneck would still exist if I connect if via USB to the Synology. I'll give it a try later this week.

Any other ideas out there? I was pretty sure that USB3 had ample bandwidth to play a blu ray rip from a hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page