NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3428Likes

post #11521 of 11693 Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner89 View Post
Ok so I thought I must be crazy. That I'm just overanalyzing the picture on the shield. So I took the same video file and put it on a USB drive and plugged it into my TV. Watching the same dark scene on both devices: on the shield it's very pixely and blocky and on the tv it looks completely fine. Either Kodi or the shield is doing something to the video. It is not just passing it along to the TV for it to upscale otherwise the picture would be identical. Picture settings on both inputs are identical as well. What the heck is the shield doing to the picture?
Who knows what it's doing or not doing. I quit using the Shield long ago for apps that are available on my TV. I even prefer the live TV app (AT&T TV) picture quality on my Amazon FireTV Pendant. It just looks better (sharper, better contrast, colors, etc). Neither device are upconveting the video. They are 1080p/60 native and sent out to my LG C9 OLED for upconversion. So it isn't from the Shield's upconversion process only. The Shield is just a softer picture with crushed blacks on my equipment.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11693 Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Like I have said many times, I am not that picky. shield looks fine to me. I will get ATV to try out. I doubt I personally see a difference. Maybe some other channel I like though. unfortunately I just invested $$$ in my new apple gear. However my experience is Apple takes care of those that are loyal to the brand unlike Microsoft whom could care less. So they may make it retroactive for me.
post #11523 of 11693 Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I switch between my Shield and ATV depending on the content I'm viewing. As been said the PQ is a little better on the ATV. I like the UI better too and really like the touch remote for scrubbing in video. It's the one good thing about the remote.

Another thing to throw into the mix is Apple's new TV service. I don't think they've announced anyway to watch it on the Shield yet (if they ever do). At the event this morning they announced the the first shows start in November. It's $4.99/month but you get a 1 year subscription when you buy an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or AppleTV. So if you're going to buy one I'd wait until that offer is live. Hopefully that's today but I haven't seen it specified yet.

Full disclosure: I'm predisposed to be more of an "android guy" than an IOS guy. I had iPhones from about 2008-20013 or so... because by my account there wasn't much of a "close second" alternative. I made the switch once, by my estimation, a competitive alternative within Android became viable, and I haven't looked back. I *don't miss* iTunes or the IOS walled garden. That's all "JMO" and I totally understand others that do not share this. I get it. Apple makes quality products. I do not deny this.

And if you look at how much $$$ I spent on my TV + AVR + Speakers + Sub + Desktop PC Server Hardware + Software + Hard Drives (running Roon, Plex, HDHomeRun DVR, and Steam, storing 16-bit and 24-bit FLACs and 1080p and 4K MKV's, etc), and compare "all that investment" to the cost of a Shield or an AppleTV, it just doesn't make sense to me not to buy both if you don't have SOME USE for both. It just didn't make sense to me NOT to buy an AppleTV once I'd identified even just one singular use for it.

I don't use my AppleTV much for anything other than Netflix. I occassionally want to upscale some 480p DVD rips, and the upscaler on the ATV is WAY better for that (and there's no lossless audio on a DVD, so there's no downside). But, as a service, Netflix is great. Despite having a gigunda 220+ channel cable tv subscription, we use Netflix a lot in my house. And I bought a TV and an AVR that supports Dolby Vision. And I like Dolby Vision. HDR10 looks great through a Shield. But I do think DV looks on an ATV looks *just a bit* better. So when the AppleTV does a (little bit) better job upscaling "Netflix HD" content and supports DV for Netflix HDR content, and when Netflix doesn't have any content that supports lossless HD audio, that makes the AppleTV a superior Netflix player. And that's something. I use it a lot for that.

If the AppleTV:
1. supported Google Cast from our phones and tablets to it
2. Supported the same Live TV + DVR app/program we are using running on the other 8 TVs in the house (absurd? maybe. but real), all of which are being driven by an Android TV or Windows box and don't have an AppleTV on them.
3. Bitstreamed lossless audio

Then I'll bet it'd get the Lion's share of the use in our house and the Shield's would be almost retired... I think I like the Youtube app interface on Shield better than ATV, but that might just be more out of experience/run-time than actual superior interface.

But, for any number of reasons, they don't and/or won't support those 3 things... and that means we primarily use Shield in our house, and I flip over to ATV when I'm the one running the remote and I/we want to use Netflix. My Wife doesn't see the difference between the ATV upscaler (at least for HD content) and the Shield upscaler anymore than she hears the difference between low bitrate MP3's and lossless FLAC files; I'm the only one that cares about (obsesses, in fact) this stuff. She's perfectly happy with the swiss-army-knife that the Shield basically is in terms of running everything we want to run in my house.
aaronwt, DesertDog and TriTon464 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11524 of 11693 Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
If the AppleTV:
2. Supported the same Live TV + DVR app/program we are using running on the other 8 TVs in the house (absurd? maybe. but real), all of which are being driven by an Android TV or Windows box and don't have an AppleTV on them.
3. Bitstreamed lossless audio
For 2, I've still been using Channels App on my ATV over the Shield. My main use of it is for live sports. I don't have their DVR service. I've stuck with it over going to the Shield mainly because it'll keep a rewind (instant replay!) buffer up to the available space on the device and my ATV has more storage on it. I haven't had a need to add more to my Shield.

3. This is the main killer for me. If Apple ever added bit streaming I'd probably use it 99% of the time. I love Infuse for media playback. They have the best player on any platform. I keep asking them to do a Shield port but no luck so far. Maybe some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Then I'll bet it'd get the Lion's share of the use in our house and the Shield's would be almost retired... I think I like the Youtube app interface on Shield better than ATV, but that might just be more out of experience/run-time than actual superior interface.
The YouTube app's UI sucks on both of them. For how big Google and YouTube are you'd think they could make a decent app. They've actually made it worst lately. The Shield version used to have a feature to mark videos as not interested from the recommended list. About a month ago it showed up on the ATV too but didn't work. A couple days later it then disappeared from both version. It's a feature I'd really like to have back.

I usually end up just using it on which ever box I already have on. The Shield has the plus that it'll play 4k content but unfortunately most of the channels I usually watch aren't in 4k. The ATV to me has a plus when it comes to scrubbing but I rarely do it with youtube content.
TriTon464 likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #11525 of 11693 Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 PM

You folks basically just answered my question. I want to get ATV if Netflix looks better? Does it? Sound is not an issue to me. I do notice some minor picture issues with Shield.
Meanwhile my TV's(Q900R) own built in apps will smoke the shield alone. no surprise there?

For the record I like my S10 5G. However my 2019 Ipad Pro 12.9" 1TB I just got I researched Not one Android device can touch it's specs. not even close. Plus It has all the same apps I use. closed system I get but it does not bother me as long as they have what I want. non expandable memory is a bummer but 1TB is a lot by any standards. Plus I got MacBook Pro loaded and Mac Pro desktop Loaded. So I bet they will give me the service knowing them. I just spent nearly six figures at the apple store once again. The only thing I really do not dig is the iPhone. I feel Android wins there at the very high end.
post #11526 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys i have a question for you. I have the hotfix v3 that came a few days ago. Im curious if that broke anything. Reason i ask is i swear when i watched Amazon prime jack ryan in 4k i also got atmos. I was looking today and all i get is 5.1. Looked to see what on prime is atmos, tried them but no atmos. Im not crazy right? Prime does do atmos on the shield correct?
Just to make sure there is no atmos on netflix for the shield, right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #11527 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
Hey guys i have a question for you. I have the hotfix v3 that came a few days ago. Im curious if that broke anything. Reason i ask is i swear when i watched Amazon prime jack ryan in 4k i also got atmos. I was looking today and all i get is 5.1. Looked to see what on prime is atmos, tried them but no atmos. Im not crazy right? Prime does do atmos on the shield correct?

Yes, on the Shield Prime does support ATMOS (Jack Ryan worked the last time I checked but I have not checked since hotfix 3) but NetFlix on Shield does not support ATMOS. Just for reference NetFlix on the ATV 4k does support ATMOS.

Mark
post #11528 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Weird, i cannot get atmos on prime. I have a denon 4400. Have it set to 9.1 with 5 main channels and 2 height channels and it shows on the avr for atmos, dtsx and auro 3d. I can get atmos from my harddrive with movies but prime is just 5.1. I checked jack reacher in 4k i get 4k hdr but 5.1. Not sure if its broke or what

post #11529 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Weird, i cannot get atmos on prime. I have a denon 4400. Have it set to 9.1 with 5 main channels and 2 height channels and it shows on the avr for atmos, dtsx and auro 3d. I can get atmos from my harddrive with movies but prime is just 5.1. I checked jack reacher in 4k i get 4k hdr but 5.1. Not sure if its broke or what

Check Jack Ryan or Suspiria. I know they both have ATMOS audio. Also, when the show is playing make sure to select the ATMOS sound track in Options. When I have time later I will check to make sure it is still working since hotfix 3.

Mark
post #11530 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked: 2607
Are others still not able to get Vudu and MA 4k content to work on the Shield? When I called Shield support yesterday they acted like they know nothing about this issue. They just asked me to submit a support ticket via the Shield itself which I did.

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #11531 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:

It broke 4K for Vudu and Movies Anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #11532 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Are others still not able to get Vudu and MA 4k content to work on the Shield? When I called Shield support yesterday they acted like they know nothing about this issue. They just asked me to submit a support ticket via the Shield itself which I did.
It’s broke. They (Nvidia) is and has been aware of the issue. Not clear whether it’s an Nvidia Shield issue or a VUDU/MA issue.
aaronwt and lujan like this.

Mark
post #11533 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Well i had to unplug the shield as it was starting to not respond ro the remote. Batteries less than a month old. I really want to do a factory wipe and start fresh but then i lose everything. I did get atmos on jac and susperia. Still says 5.1 but once in i get atmos

post #11534 of 11693 Old 09-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Despite being on hotfix V3 the shield still doesn't send proper color space info to my 5040UB. Hopefully a V4 fixes it...
post #11535 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 12:09 AM

Sorry, Don't mean to be a jerk. Anyone answer my question above please? Once I set it up not returning it. Do not care to waste 200 bucks if it is just the same thing. If picture iis better on Netfilx and or Amazon I have no problem to get it. I do notice some minor picture issues with Shield. Overall I like Shield but TV's own upscaled 8K apps smoke it. Thank you
post #11536 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
Sorry, Don't mean to be a jerk. Anyone answer my question above please? Once I set it up not returning it. Do not care to waste 200 bucks if it is just the same thing. If picture iis better on Netfilx and or Amazon I have no problem to get it. I do notice some minor picture issues with Shield. Overall I like Shield but TV's own upscaled 8K apps smoke it. Thank you

Is that the 8K Q900R you have? I know nothing about it. Does it have Dolby Vision? Is that the Samsung that has iTunes on it? If so you may not need the ATV4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #11537 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 AM

No Samsung does not has Dolby Vision. It is in fact a 12 bit TV but people love to argue that. Mainly people that don't own one. I have a C9 too and that does have Dolby Vision. They have their own HDR10+. Almost no content. Stupid move. Nor does it have iTunes. However I can care less about audio with video. I am big time on 2 Channel audio and have a top end system. Not interested in Atmos or whatever. Would just like a picture more like the TV itself. The issue is the TV does not have so many apps and you cannot add any. Once again it is their own closed OS. Samsung tries to be Apple but they fail because they do not nearly have the media available. I appreciate your helping me. I will not take the time to setup ATV and pay $400 tech on URC remote then return it. So I want to be pretty sure. Do you think Netflix and Amazon look better than the Shield? $200 is no big deal to me but there is a bit more involved here. I am just using those apps as a benchmark. I figure if those are good so is Hulu, Sling ETC. Shield is pretty good but it is no match for the TV itself. Now that I have graduated from the Roku ultra I am expecting an entire different league. I am a fan of both Android and IOS. I am also banking Apple will give me the service what I just spent. knowing them they most likely will though. Thank you
post #11538 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No Samsung does not has Dolby Vision. It is in fact a 12 bit TV but people love to argue that. Mainly people that don't own one. I have a C9 too and that does have Dolby Vision. They have their own HDR10+. Almost no content. Stupid move. Nor does it have iTunes. However I can care less about audio with video. I am big time on 2 Channel audio and have a top end system. Not interested in Atmos or whatever. Would just like a picture more like the TV itself. The issue is the TV does not have so many apps and you cannot add any. Once again it is their own closed OS. Samsung tries to be Apple but they fail because they do not nearly have the media available. I appreciate your helping me. I will not take the time to setup ATV and pay $400 tech on URC remote then return it. So I want to be pretty sure. Do you think Netflix and Amazon look better than the Shield? $200 is no big deal to me but there is a bit more involved here. I am just using those apps as a benchmark. I figure if those are good so is Hulu, Sling ETC. Shield is pretty good but it is no match for the TV itself. Now that I have graduated from the Roku ultra I am expecting an entire different league. I am a fan of both Android and IOS. I am also banking Apple will give me the service what I just spent. knowing them they most likely will though. Thank you

I have both the Shield and ATV4K and prefer the picture quality of the ATV4K. The remote isn’t great so I use my Harmony Elite to control it. You may lose some benefit if your TV doesn’t support Dolby Vision but HDR on it is pretty good too. If you purchase one now Apple is offering a free one year subscription to their new streaming service called Apple + which is normally $4.99 per month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TriTon464 likes this.

Mike
post #11539 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 AM

Okay, I will bite. Walmart here has an open box without the remote I do not need, for nothing. I have to pay to program my remote anyways. If you can set it to 12 bit like the Shield should look pretty good too. HDR10+ is only if the media supports it and none does. I thought the free service was only if you bought another Apple product with it? Unfortunately I already just did. If it just comes with the ATV that is awesome. I do not even have to ask them a favor. However Apple is very friendly to those that are loyal to their ecosystem. I actually use all 3 kinds well 4 if you count Linux. Thank you for helping me. Going to get it now. BTW, am not sure if I can say this here but it is a whopping 40 bucks LOL.
m_snow likes this.
post #11540 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 06:20 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9218 Post(s)
Liked: 5927
Quote:
Since you have a Sasmung TV with HDR10+, Try a FireTV Stick 4K. They support HDR10+, HDR10, HLG, and DOlby Vision.
TriTon464 likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11541 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your original question was does the picture look better. You are asking for an answer that by it's nature is going to be very subjective. That said, I will throw in my 2 cents...
In my home theater I have a ATV 4k, FireTV Stick 4k, and Nvidia Shield all connected to a Denon x6400h. Display is a Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR laser projector (professionally calibrated). I have done comparisons using all 3 with the exact same 4k HDR content. I find that for me the picture quality looks close enough for all three that it doesn't matter. I find myself most times using the FireTV Stick 4k. I am basically standardized throughout my home on Android streaming devices for many reasons not relevant to this question. I only added the ATV 4k for two reasons, PSVue multiview support and NetFlix ATMOS support. Honestly those are the only reasons I use it.
Again, all very subjective and others will have different views on the subject. Their is no right or wrong answer. Unfortunately the only way you are going to know for you is to try it.
aaronwt, beerhunt, ddigler and 1 others like this.

Mark
post #11542 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I will bite. Walmart here has an open box without the remote I do not need, for nothing. I have to pay to program my remote anyways. If you can set it to 12 bit like the Shield should look pretty good too. HDR10+ is only if the media supports it and none does. I thought the free service was only if you bought another Apple product with it? Unfortunately I already just did. If it just comes with the ATV that is awesome. I do not even have to ask them a favor. However Apple is very friendly to those that are loyal to their ecosystem. I actually use all 3 kinds well 4 if you count Linux. Thank you for helping me. Going to get it now. BTW, am not sure if I can say this here but it is a whopping 40 bucks LOL.
Just make sure it's a ATV 4k not just an ATV.
TriTon464 likes this.

Mark
post #11543 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Since we're talking about the Apple TV and many people have both, are there any other limitations compared to the Shield besides Audio Bitstreaming?

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11544 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Since we're talking about the Apple TV and many people have both, are there any other limitations compared to the Shield besides Audio Bitstreaming?
I got a couple when DirecTV was highly discounting them via their streaming promotion. Bottom line I ended up eBaying both and keep the Shield TV. I'm not a heavy streamer so content wasn't really an issue. Interface wise overall Apple is superior and features like profiles where it will duplicate your configuration over multiple units (rooms) was great. Infuse for local content versus Kodi also is a very close call. I A/Bed Kodi vs Infuse with 2K and 4K media and it was close enough that it played no factor.

They are far more similar than different so almost in every case it will be small things that determine which is best for someone. Such as which one supports your chosen TV streaming app. Clearly one isn't "far" superior to the other. Since my streamer plays a dual role... den for Internet streaming and in the dedicated room for local content (movies) it was easy as I need Atmos/DTS:X support. If that wasn't the case not being a fan of Android TV I'd probably have keep the Apple.
psuKinger likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #11545 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 AM

I hate to say this but I am a sheep. I prefer IOS. Not for phones though for whatever reason. The Note 10 with 8GB ram is a powerhouse. On the flipside nothing can touch the Ipad Pro. I am really used to all OS's. It does not matter much to be but I find IOS more polished. It is indeed ATV 4K because 64GB is only in 4K. Should have got cheap Firestick for HDR10+ but no content anyways. I mainly watch 1080P. It is the upsampling that will be key. Than the TV has to further upsample it to 8K. So a lot of interpolation going on here. The Shield is pretty good but I hope the Apple is better. For the price I just paid I hardly care. I will let the tech set it up. They are coming Tuesday. BTW, If you read my other posts. This is not the 55" my son has. I still maintain the 49" Q70 is a better buy. I got a 98". I tried to get the "wall". It would not fit through the door. These imbeciles ended up scratching their big bucks TV! The techs are much more skilled then the delivery monsters luckily.
post #11546 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I got a couple when DirecTV was highly discounting them via their streaming promotion. Bottom line I ended up eBaying both and keep the Shield TV. I'm not a heavy streamer so content wasn't really an issue. Interface wise overall Apple is superior and features like profiles where it will duplicate your configuration over multiple units (rooms) was great. Infuse for local content versus Kodi also is a very close call. I A/Bed Kodi vs Infuse with 2K and 4K media and it was close enough that it played no factor.

They are far more similar than different so almost in every case it will be small things that determine which is best for someone. Such as which one supports your chosen TV streaming app. Clearly one isn't "far" superior to the other. Since my streamer plays a dual role... den for Internet streaming and in the dedicated room for local content (movies) it was easy as I need Atmos/DTS:X support. If that wasn't the case not being a fan of Android TV I'd probably have keep the Apple.
Thanks for that, I don't have height speakers so the Atmos thing doesn't matter to me right now. I love my Shield for a lot of things, but locally stored UHD is not one of them. I have been having better results with mrMc which I really like. But it seems my odroid or HTPC handle them better with Kodi.

I always feel like I am leaving something on the table picture quality wise with the Shield, I am a big Emby user and not sure how the Apple TV app is.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11547 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
The 1 year of free Apple TV+ is for any purchase of a iPhone, iPad, ATV, or Mac after 9/10. If you get the ATV now there's no additional purchase for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
The audio is the main thing. The only other thing that the Shield is a lot better than the ATV right now is for games. There's a lot more options on the Shield. That gap might be closing though with Apple's new game service that's coming later in the month. We'll have to see what it offers though. The Shield might still have more "serious" games on it.

BTW, I've loved the attitude in this thread the last week or so with talking about the Shield and ATV. It's really refreshing to see it the differences and strengths discussed like adults and not turning into fanboys ripping on the other side.
beerhunt, atc98092 and m_snow like this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #11548 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Well after 2 years or so of wanting a shield and a sound setup that could take advantage if its features, I am disappointed to say I have returned the shield. The picture was just not acceptable at all. I don't know what it was but everything just looked awful, even stuff that the shield was supposedly not even touching with its scalers. My goal is to have 2 devices that can support everything I want i.e. HD audio including Atmos and DTS: X, Dolby Vision, and the ability to access my personal media library via external hard drive and not have to rely on my PC as a server which has been a real PITA lately as the remote wake function I use has been spotty and the PC itself keeps restarting for no reason.

So I've come to the conclusion that no device out there will satisfy all my needs in terms of my personal library so I am sticking with physical media for my HD and object based audio and planning to get an Apple TV for everything else as it supports DV, atmos and I like the sound of infuse and its features.

I'm still going to wait a month or so to see if Apple announces a new device or if nvidia announces a new shield. If neither announces anything in the next month I have little hope for a new device this year and I'm not waiting until next year.
post #11549 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I don't understand the complaints that some people have had about the Shield and video quality. I'm not saying they haven't been correctly configured, but I have no issues with mine on a Samsung JU7100. This is only a quasi-HDR display, as HDR was added strictly with a software update, and wasn't initially designed for HDR. But I play SD, HD (720 and 1080) and UHD material with what I feel is very good image quality. I have both Kodi and MrMC configured to send the native resolution to my TV and let it handle any upscaling. But since neither of those applications will whitelist anything below 720, all my SD DVD rips are upscaled by the Shield. No problem at all to my eye. And of course the Shield is the only way to get lossless audio passthrough to my AVR. ATV and Roku will not do that.

Yes, it doesn't support Dolby Vision. But neither does my display so no problem for now. It doesn't support Netflix DD+ Atmos, but I cancelled Netflix several months ago. But I get Atmos and DTS:X perfectly, closed captions work on all my media, and I stream everything from my media server, so I don't have to connect anything to the Shield.
aaronwt, Alan P, kluken and 3 others like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11550 of 11693 Old 09-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm new to the whole streaming device thing (used to always build my own HTPCs instead).

In the age of Smart TVs, why use a streaming box? Do the TV apps suffer from performance issues (processors can't handle it, missing features/formats, etc.)?

Is there a reason to buy these streaming boxes instead of still building a mini HTPC (do the boxes get access to features/formats you can't get on HTPCs anymore)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page