NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 411 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4064Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12301 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnnytheSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hartford
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Still waiting for that official announcement and release date...love the speculation, but would love even more the knowledge of when it shall be mine. ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
JohnnytheSkin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12302 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yes, I notice the difference in the audio when streaming titles. I guess this is true so that we'll never see DTS:X or Dolby True HD audio except maybe in some compressed version like they do with Atmos.
Thats basically what we have now.

What would "compressed True HD" be without the object based / overhead effects of Atmos? Basically AC3, no?

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #12303 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,832
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
How much do you guys think the new chip in the new system will be anything great compared to the 2017? I was expecting a bigger performance increase from the specs I’m seeing.
Same SOC, better manufacturing process.

Don't expect miracles. Slightly more computational power. Any new capabilities will all be software based and likely could apply to the original Shields.

A refresh is better than nothing and adding DV is expected on all these devices in 2020.
aaronwt and mtthwgrms like this.
dwaleke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12304 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,130
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Thats basically what we have now.

What would "compressed True HD" be without the object based / overhead effects of Atmos? Basically AC3, no?
We don't have compressed object based DTS available for streaming as far as I know.

lujan
567 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #12305 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,069
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9399 Post(s)
Liked: 6088
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I have a 4, 5, and now a brand new 6 series TCL Roku tv. All of them wired to a gigabit network. And all of them buffer sometimes playing UHD rips. Not sure what can be done to solve it. It's my understanding that the rokus don't handle super high bitrates well.
That is because they only have a 100Mb/s wired connection. Just like my ROkus, I use wireless with my TCL Tv. I can get much higher throughput than the wired connection. So there are no buffering issues with very high bitrate(over 100Mb/s) UHD files.

Any device i have that has a GigE wired connection, like my Shields, I use that. But devices that only have a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection, I use their wireless connection. SInce I can get much higher throughput over wireless than a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #12306 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,848
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That is because they only have a 100Mb/s wired connection. Just like my ROkus, I use wireless with my TCL Tv. I can get much higher throughput than the wired connection. So there are no buffering issues with very high bitrate(over 100Mb/s) UHD files.



Any device i have that has a GigE wired connection, like my Shields, I use that. But devices that only have a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection, I use their wireless connection. SInce I can get much higher throughput over wireless than a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection.


That makes sense. But for my Roku TV's they never see my 5g network. The living room TV is about 25' from a unifi ap through a single wall. And it won't detect it.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #12307 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,848
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Still waiting for that official announcement and release date...love the speculation, but would love even more the knowledge of when it shall be mine. ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Two leaks kind of odd. Both last thursday. Maybe a week early. Hoping for something official. Just because I am impatient.
ynnek63, rustolemite and mtthwgrms like this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #12308 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
We don't have compressed object based DTS available for streaming as far as I know.
True (as far as I know as well), but I can't see the streaming companies wanting to pay another licensing fee when they already offer an object based stream.

Its been a while since I've even looked, but does netflix and amazon even offer a DTS flavor at all?

For those of us who really want it, I'd think the DTS:X upmixer probably works as well as anything for adding overhead effects to a standard stream.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #12309 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
None of the streaming services provide any DTS audio options.


I use DTS Neural X on my Marantz AVR, and it's been pretty solid for me. I know others may prefer the Dolby Surround Upmixer to the DTS version.
ckronengold likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12310 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
hawkster27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I had a bit of a stressful Saturday evening dealing with Streaming Movies and Music using both Kodi and MrMC.

Whatever the developers of MrMC are doing compared to Kodi, these guys must have more insight into Android TV OS, specifically in the audio portion.

Using MrMC, I've had great success in playing Hi Rez audio files and not worrying about Android Upsampling or Downsampling everything to 48kHz.

Setting the Number of channels to 2.1 and enabling Stereo Upmix allowed for my Hi Rez files to play at the correct sample rates, some DSD files going as high as 176 kHz.

I figured Kodi would have the same audio performance as MrMC considering how closely tied together these apps are. I was wrong.

So after fighting this issue for an hour or two, I abandoned Kodi as a Music Player. I also removed my Plex account and video sources from MrMC and now just have my Music Library connected to this app.

So it's more than just looking at a few lights here and there on your AVR or soundbar to check if a specific audio codec is playing. Luckily the web interface of my AVR revealed more information regarding what was being played in real time, for Audio and Video.

Now these findings may be a bit too technical or not enough of reason to use the Shield for this or that, but for those who are interested in the performance of the Shield and finding more possibilities for a 4 and a half year device, this device is still kicking and far exceeded many of our expectations.
Hey, groove. I too have found Kodi to be kludgy and frustrating for audio playback, so based on your post I decided to buy MRmc. $3 is cheap enough, but I'm not sure what it really bought me. I've only had time to run through the setup, but it seems like MRmc is just a UI for Kodi, right down to the irritating app sounds. I don't want to go too OT here, but do you have any tips for getting the most from MRmc?
ckronengold likes this.
hawkster27 is offline  
post #12311 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,130
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
None of the streaming services provide any DTS audio options.

I use DTS Neural X on my Marantz AVR, and it's been pretty solid for me. I know others may prefer the Dolby Surround Upmixer to the DTS version.
I believe that FandangoNow (when it was called MGo) and they had the 4k movies to download that DTS was an option at that time but it was short lived. Yes, it wasn't streamed so maybe that's why they offered it?

lujan
567 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #12312 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,784
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 2951
Wonder if the new shield will have the updated app for Amazon's HD music as well? current one is my last choice for it due to less than good sounding audio quality.
audiofan1 is online now  
post #12313 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
Hey, groove. I too have found Kodi to be kludgy and frustrating for audio playback, so based on your post I decided to buy MRmc. $3 is cheap enough, but I'm not sure what it really bought me. I've only had time to run through the setup, but it seems like MRmc is just a UI for Kodi, right down to the irritating app sounds. I don't want to go too OT here, but do you have any tips for getting the most from MRmc?
MrMC is pretty much a Vanilla version of Kodi, with limited use of Skins and no addons. Apps such as MrMC, and SPMC before it, are geared more towards the Shield.

I've gone back and forth between Plex, MrMC, and Kodi, primarily for Video Playback. Unlike Plex, both Kodi and MrMC have the ability to change display resolutions alongside Refresh Rate.

For me, the Video Playback issues I'm having with MrMC may be an Isolated one, and therefore may work perfectly for other users.

Kodi has the Plex Addon, which allows you to connect to your Plex Library without the need of Scraping Metadata of the same content all over again. MrMC has a built-in Plex and Emby plugin which allows for the same thing.


For a Music Streamer (or maybe a Transport in this situation), I found MrMC to be the best option, especially if you're wanting to playback Bit-Perfect audio. All of the other apps such as Tidal, Spotify, and Amazon HD all play at 48kHz, no matter the resolution of the audio track you play. So while some of these apps advertise Hi-Rez audio, you won't hear higher resolutions of said content because of the Android OS. Even my Chromecast Ultra resamples to 48kHz. You can install an external DAC if this device is capable of higher resolutions beyond 48kHz, but you will also need an app such as UAPP (Universal Audio Player Pro), and this app is not built for the Android TV Interface.

Roon does not have the ability to circumvent the Android Audio system, and therefore, all audio is resampled to 48kHz on the Shield.

I highly suggest paying close attention to your AVR. If it has an App or Web Interface which displays technical information for real-time Playback of your content, use it.


For 2-Channel Playback - Set up for MrMC is pretty identical to Kodi. In the "System" settings, go to Audio, and set the speaker setup to "2.0" or "2.1 (if you plan to use a subwoofer)."

Enable "Stereo Upmix". In my set up, enabling this setting immediately switches my AVR to "Multi Ch In". As a result, when I play Hi-Rez audio, my AVR displays the content being played at a Specific Resolution, as opposed to just 48kHz. This setting works for 2-Channel Hi-Rez Flac and DSD files.

For Multi-Channel Flac and DSD, set your speakers to "5.0" or "5.1" This will allow for Multi-Channel Flac and DSD files to play at the correct resolution and proper speaker set up.


You would think this would also work for Kodi, but not in the same manner. Too many adjustments within Kodi and my AVR is just too much work. MrMC, when configured properly, will play the files for you. For MrMC, the only adjustment you will need to make is adjusting the Speaker setup between Multi-Channel and 2-Channel audio.
DesertDog likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12314 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
That makes sense. But for my Roku TV's they never see my 5g network. The living room TV is about 25' from a unifi ap through a single wall. And it won't detect it.
Not all Roku devices have 5 GHz wireless. But I did check my 43" Sharp 4K set and it does see my 5 GHz WAPs. But for it I still stick with wired. Even though it's a 4K set I seldom watch any of my ripped UHDs on this TV.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #12315 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Wonder if the new shield will have the updated app for Amazon's HD music as well? current one is my last choice for it due to less than good sounding audio quality.
The App will need to bypass the Audio Engine for Android. Everything will stream at 48kHz no matter the resolution. So this is more of a Google issue than Nvidia's.
audiofan1 likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12316 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,848
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Not all Roku devices have 5 GHz wireless. But I did check my 43" Sharp 4K set and it does see my 5 GHz WAPs. But for it I still stick with wired. Even though it's a 4K set I seldom watch any of my ripped UHDs on this TV.


It's weird because at least on the new TV it picks up my neighbors 5g signal with a charter ap but not mine in my own house.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #12317 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I believe that FandangoNow (when it was called MGo) and they had the 4k movies to download that DTS was an option at that time but it was short lived. Yes, it wasn't streamed so maybe that's why they offered it?
This sounds like a Kaleidoscape variation. An expensive option, but you're pretty much getting 1:1 copies of your content, including the audio.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12318 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
hawkster27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
MrMC is pretty much a Vanilla version of Kodi, with limited use of Skins and no addons. Apps such as MrMC, and SPMC before it, are geared more towards the Shield.

I've gone back and forth between Plex, MrMC, and Kodi, primarily for Video Playback. Unlike Plex, both Kodi and MrMC have the ability to change display resolutions alongside Refresh Rate.

For me, the Video Playback issues I'm having with MrMC may be an Isolated one, and therefore may work perfectly for other users.

Kodi has the Plex Addon, which allows you to connect to your Plex Library without the need of Scraping Metadata of the same content all over again. MrMC has a built-in Plex and Emby plugin which allows for the same thing.


For a Music Streamer (or maybe a Transport in this situation), I found MrMC to be the best option, especially if you're wanting to playback Bit-Perfect audio. All of the other apps such as Tidal, Spotify, and Amazon HD all play at 48kHz, no matter the resolution of the audio track you play. So while some of these apps advertise Hi-Rez audio, you won't hear higher resolutions of said content because of the Android OS. Even my Chromecast Ultra resamples to 48kHz. You can install an external DAC if this device is capable of higher resolutions beyond 48kHz, but you will also need an app such as UAPP (Universal Audio Player Pro), and this app is not built for the Android TV Interface.

Roon does not have the ability to circumvent the Android Audio system, and therefore, all audio is resampled to 48kHz on the Shield.

I highly suggest paying close attention to your AVR. If it has an App or Web Interface which displays technical information for real-time Playback of your content, use it.


For 2-Channel Playback - Set up for MrMC is pretty identical to Kodi. In the "System" settings, go to Audio, and set the speaker setup to "2.0" or "2.1 (if you plan to use a subwoofer)."

Enable "Stereo Upmix". In my set up, enabling this setting immediately switches my AVR to "Multi Ch In". As a result, when I play Hi-Rez audio, my AVR displays the content being played at a Specific Resolution, as opposed to just 48kHz. This setting works for 2-Channel Hi-Rez Flac and DSD files.

For Multi-Channel Flac and DSD, set your speakers to "5.0" or "5.1" This will allow for Multi-Channel Flac and DSD files to play at the correct resolution and proper speaker set up.


You would think this would also work for Kodi, but not in the same manner. Too many adjustments within Kodi and my AVR is just too much work. MrMC, when configured properly, will play the files for you. For MrMC, the only adjustment you will need to make is adjusting the Speaker setup between Multi-Channel and 2-Channel audio.
Much thanks for the thoughtful response, groove!
groove93 likes this.
hawkster27 is offline  
post #12319 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,848
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Well, my Shield just sold, so hopefully these new ones are real and my amazon order actually ships. (and its not a dud)
aaronwt and mtthwgrms like this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #12320 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yes! Two days before my birthday

Really excited about this

Quote:
Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling.
Hmm, interesting. AI upscaling? If it's anything like DLSS upscaling on the computer with their RTX video cards, it'll be a MUCH improved scaler over the current Shield. If it also auto switches colour spaces properly then I can see myself picking one up!
aaronwt likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #12321 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Member
 
mtthwgrms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Well, my Shield just sold, so hopefully these new ones are real and my amazon order actually ships. (and its not a dud)
I sold mine also but without getting any order in, just hoping that date is semi accurate
mtthwgrms is offline  
post #12322 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Member
 
joxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
how much did you guys sell yours for ? Im looking to sell mine as well.

5.2.4 | Marantz SR7012 | SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Bookshelves | SVS Ultra Center | 4 x Monoprice 8" alpha for atmos | 2 x SVS PB3000 | LG OLED 65" C8 | AppleTV 4K | Nvidia Shield
joxr is offline  
post #12323 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,848
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxr View Post
how much did you guys sell yours for ? Im looking to sell mine as well.


I was looking to net $100 and I did. Last I checked here on this site there is one for $110 that has been sitting. But I sold mine elsewhere. [H]
aaronwt likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #12324 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
With the new Shield, will I able to watch 4K movies from Google Play Movies?
My assumption is that we can't get 4K out of Google Play Movies app on the current Shield
tinhvo is offline  
post #12325 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
You can view 4k Movies using Google Play Movies, but not in HDR, even though some titles advertise this feature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12326 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yeah, it's possible it's just a limitation of the Roku. My Shield plays my UHD rips flawlessly, including HDR and lossless audio, even Atmos and DTS:X. That's why I'll likely replace my Ultra with a new Shield. Maybe the current versions will go on a fire sale. I don't need DV, although VP9.2 support would be nice for YouTube. Of course, we don't know if the new Shield even has that yet.
I dumped Roku back in early 2017 after their bugs and I wanted to play my rips. The Shield has been an amazing performer. A few minor concerns and they are slow to resolve them, but the thing is a powerhouse. I am looking forward to a new Shield with DV and hopefully VP9.2.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #12327 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
You can view 4k Movies using Google Play Movies, but not in HDR, even though some titles advertise this feature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


True but if VP9.2 comes around (which should be doable) you will have it. It’s crazy to me that Google will sell you an HDR movie but not enable playing it on their own OS.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #12328 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
True but if VP9.2 comes around (which should be doable) you will have it. It’s crazy to me that Google will sell you an HDR movie but not enable playing it on their own OS.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have a TV running Android TV, you can stream Youtube and Google Play Movies HDR Content. The problem is within Google Play Movies on the Shield, HDR is advertised on some titles, when in fact, that feature does not work.

The Shield was released before VP9 Profile 2 was released to the wild.

Last year there were articles on a few Tech Sites stating that Casting HDR Content to Android Displays and the Shield was available, but that was not true, It was only available for Android TV displays, not the Shield. Within 3 days, those articles vanished. Along with Casting HDR to Android TV Displays, full HDR Support for Youtube and Google Play Movies became available a few months later. The Shield was left out. This is why I'm pointing towards a Hardware limitation as opposed to Software, because we all know the Shield is more than capable of handling this tech.
dwaleke likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #12329 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
If you have a TV running Android TV, you can stream Youtube and Google Play Movies HDR Content. The problem is within Google Play Movies on the Shield, HDR is advertised on some titles, when in fact, that feature does not work.



The Shield was released before VP9 Profile 2 was released to the wild.



Last year there were articles on a few Tech Sites stating that Casting HDR Content to Android Displays and the Shield was available, but that was not true, It was only available for Android TV displays, not the Shield. Within 3 days, those articles vanished. Along with Casting HDR to Android TV Displays, full HDR Support for Youtube and Google Play Movies became available a few months later. The Shield was left out. This is why I'm pointing towards a Hardware limitation as opposed to Software, because we all know the Shield is more than capable of handling this tech.


Sorry, I was referring to the upcoming Shield with the Tegra+.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #12330 of 13049 Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,130
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwgrms View Post
I sold mine also but without getting any order in, just hoping that date is semi accurate
I wish Nvidia had a trade-in process for older Shields like Amazon has with the Fire TV?
aaronwt, bhazard, beerhunt and 1 others like this.

lujan
567 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
nvidia shield remotes , onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off