NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4720Likes

post #121 of 14456 Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 2341
One thing that is missing from the Shield being Android is the data usage in the Settings. The portable has it but I need to check to see if it is excluded from the Android TV part of the SDK. It could be useful if especially on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just purchased a shield yesterday and am a bit concerned after finding this thread on poor picture quality.
Is everyone happy with the video quality of there shield?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/

Last edited by frapso; 11-28-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Didnt mean to quote
post #123 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get excellent PQ here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I get excellent PQ here.
Thanks for the reply good to know ,are you connected to a 4k set?
post #125 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Very happy with my PQ whle streaming.... I just wish I could get Kodi down. It seems like french to me even though I thought it would fairly straight forward.
I got a set top box to do away with cables cost and restrictions on content and is seems as though I am still having to pay for repository access for places like sling and netflix... where are all my freebies

My Name is Nobody...
Klipsch x11i - Klipsch x20i - Oppo HA2
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch La Scala II - Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse - OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #126 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Very happy with my PQ whle streaming.... I just wish I could get Kodi down. It seems like french to me even though I thought it would fairly straight forward.
I got a set top box to do away with cables cost and restrictions on content and is seems as though I am still having to pay for repository access for places like sling and netflix... where are all my freebies
Good to know thanks.iam also new to kodi.google is your friend,there are ADDONS for kodi that might help best of luck!
post #127 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frapso View Post
Thanks for the reply good to know ,are you connected to a 4k set?
No 4K but you didn't specify that. If you have a 4K are you aware (depending on when it left the factory) of some updates and the ones for 4K require some special attention?
post #128 of 14456 Old 11-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just ordered a 16gb shield today from Game Stop for $149 with a free remote. Hoping for good things when it gets here midweek.
post #129 of 14456 Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 AM
EVT
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I just purchased a shield yesterday and am a bit concerned after finding this thread on poor picture quality.
I haven't done A-B comparisons between the Shield and my Dune players but the picture quality seemed good enough that I didn't feel the need to do any so I suspect most people will be satisfied.
post #130 of 14456 Old 11-30-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
I haven't done A-B comparisons between the Shield and my Dune players but the picture quality seemed good enough that I didn't feel the need to do any so I suspect most people will be satisfied.
Thanks for taking the time to reply,much appreciated
post #131 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzchek View Post
Did you set the Movies folder to be a "Movies" video source? You shouldn't need to provide any artwork or set any sort of artwork downloader with Kodi out of the box. If you set the content type of that folder to "Movies", Kodi will handle the rest when you tell it to update your library.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
I'm just now having a chance to try to get this working. And it's still not working. I followed the link you posted and when I get to Step 4 my external hard drive is not listed. When I first select Videos the USB DRIVE is listed there already. And I still cannot get the movie posters to show up. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm doing wrong, but I just can not figure it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #132 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I Brought the Sheild a mouth ago it work fine for me as long you understand the remote in the settings and so far nothing freezes up.
post #133 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
I Brought the Sheild a mouth ago it work fine for me as long you understand the remote in the settings and so far nothing freezes up.
Well apparently I don't understand the remote in the settings. Because it should be working, but something isn't. Assuming you were replying to me.
post #134 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycor View Post
Well apparently I don't understand the remote in the settings. Because it should be working, but something isn't. Assuming you were replying to me.
No but the remote was very confusing when I first got it.
post #135 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 221
So far, the N S TV has worked well for movie playback and streaming. I admit I am not fond of the front menu but it works. I would prefer to have an easy means of reworking my main menu. I would like to simply have what I want and perhaps an icon to click to get to everything else. Since one size doesn't fit all and trying to be everything at once for all people is a touch "clunky" I hope later there are easy ways to adjust the main menu. In the meanwhile, I will say this is the first STB of this sort that I really feel confident about with respect to ability to play back files without typical issues found on competitor boxes.
post #136 of 14456 Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problems with Shield Chomecast

So I just got a Shield for another room, and have been a longtime HTPC user (Windows 10 with Kodi, VLC etc). I pretty tired of the ongoing configuration and tweaking that goes into a full HTPC so hoping this is a simple solution for my other room. I seem to be having an issue getting the casting working and all of the online tech support I have searched has not been able to help. I can Cast right from Youtube on my android phone, but if I try to use the actual Chromecast app (In order to mirror my phone, etc) it can't find my Shield on my network (no devices). Previously I tried the Chromecast 2 dongle a few week back and that worked with the app, but it doesn't seem to work with the Shield. Not sure what to do at this point.
post #137 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So my old Seagate Freeagent Theater+ media player is beginning to act up after years use of good service. I'm liking the specs and features of the Nvidia Shield TV.

My main use would be playing matroska rips, h.264 4K video files and Netflix streaming including 4K. This will be used with a Samsung 65JS8500 display.

I'm not looking for a media player that needs constant hacking, modding or rooting, etc.

Is the Shield a good choice?
post #138 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
So my old Seagate Freeagent Theater+ media player is beginning to act up after years use of good service. I'm liking the specs and features of the Nvidia Shield TV.

My main use would be playing matroska rips, h.264 4K video files and Netflix streaming including 4K. This will be used with a Samsung 65JS8500 display.

I'm not looking for a media player that needs constant hacking, modding or rooting, etc.

Is the Shield a good choice?
Yes...
post #139 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
Yes...
Simple enough. Thx
post #140 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Simple enough. Thx
LOL... sorry, couldn't resist.

I have gone from a WD TV SMP to the Shield, with 2 other Android device in between (returned them)... the Shield is by far the best. It is not "perfect" yet, but support is critical for "long term" enjoyment, and it appears nVidia will do just that.

My only issue with the Shield is streaming video from my NAS boxes via the native player to get HD audio passthrough won't allow me to fast forward or rewind. Fast forward and rewind in Kodi works fine, but currently no HD audio pass-through (but is supposed to be coming in Kodi 17.

You did not mention your audio playback, so I assumed you are using you TV. If this is the case, Kodi will work great for you in the Shield.
post #141 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
LOL... sorry, couldn't resist.

I have gone from a WD TV SMP to the Shield, with 2 other Android device in between (returned them)... the Shield is by far the best. It is not "perfect" yet, but support is critical for "long term" enjoyment, and it appears nVidia will do just that.

My only issue with the Shield is streaming video from my NAS boxes via the native player to get HD audio passthrough won't allow me to fast forward or rewind. Fast forward and rewind in Kodi works fine, but currently no HD audio pass-through (but is supposed to be coming in Kodi 17.

You did not mention your audio playback, so I assumed you are using you TV. If this is the case, Kodi will work great for you in the Shield.
I don't use any NAS yet. Up to this point I use portable HDD's or thumb drives plugged directly into the media players USB port for playback.

As far as audio, I use an AVR for a 5.1 surround system. HDMI is the preferred connection and the best possible sound codec is what I want from the media player.

Thx
post #142 of 14456 Old 12-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I don't use any NAS yet. Up to this point I use portable HDD's or thumb drives plugged directly into the media players USB port for playback.

As far as audio, I use an AVR for a 5.1 surround system. HDMI is the preferred connection and the best possible sound codec is what I want from the media player.

Thx
Kodi does a great job for 5.1, I think you'll be happy.

The one thing I don't know is the 4k situation. I don't have that many "K's"... 1080p here. So native player or Kodi for 4k playback is an unknown to me.

USB drives don't have the fast forward / rewind issue I mention before on my setup. I contacted nVidia about the NAS issues, they said only Kodi and Plex are designed for network playback.

I just see the nVidia Shield being the most future-proof option currently.

I am considering getting a Windows based media player so I can hook a usb ota tv adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XF...=ATVPDKIKX0DER to it and an external USB hard drive to watch, capture/record, playback of ota hd tv and give my AT&T uverse the boot.... I am only considering the windows boxes because I can't find an adapter like this for android.
OrlandoD likes this.
post #143 of 14456 Old 12-12-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I purchased on about a week ago and I'm still on the fence.

I have done A/B/C comparisons with my PS4 ( playing bluray disc as the baseline ) and my roku 3 streaming ripped MKV of same disc on my JVC RS35. While they are all very close. It feels like the shield TV is a little bit soft and lacking the pop/contrast that the PS4 and Roku 3 has. The shield does have better motion handling than the Roku 3 because it supports 23.976/24P and the Roku 3 only does 60p.

The reason I bought the shield is because the roku 3 doesn't support VC1 and also DTS HD/True HD. The shield doesn't do DTS HD/True HD passthrough right now but I'm pretty confident that it will be there soon in KODI. I'm just a little disappointed in the picture quality. It's not that it's terrible, it's actually pretty good, just not as good as the other two sources that I already have.

I'll give it another week and do more A/B/C comparisons before I decide.
post #144 of 14456 Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Let us know. From what I understand, the Shield has already gone through a firmware update that has improved the video quality. It is possible that there could be some further improvements in the future.

I actually have mine running through a Darbee Darblet, which kicks up the video processing for ANYTHING via HDMI.
post #145 of 14456 Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post

I have done A/B/C comparisons with my PS4 ( playing bluray disc as the baseline ) and my roku 3 streaming ripped MKV of same disc on my JVC RS35. While they are all very close. It feels like the shield TV is a little bit soft and lacking the pop/contrast that the PS4 and Roku 3 has. The shield does have better motion handling than the Roku 3 because it supports 23.976/24P and the Roku 3 only does 60p.

The reason I bought the shield is because the roku 3 doesn't support VC1 and also DTS HD/True HD. The shield doesn't do DTS HD/True HD passthrough right now but I'm pretty confident that it will be there soon in KODI. I'm just a little disappointed in the picture quality. It's not that it's terrible, it's actually pretty good, just not as good as the other two sources that I already have.

Actually, the SATV does do dts-HD and Dolby TrueHD pass-through. I use the native app, MX Player Pro and the built-in player from ES File Explorer to play my MKV rips and my AVR picks up the HD audio just fine. Kodi doesn't support HD audio pass-through yet though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
OrlandoD likes this.

AVR: Denon X3300w
F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3 / Sub: SVS PB12-NSD (x2)
Sony XBR-75X940E, Toshiba HD-A30, Nvidia Shield TV (2015), Xbox One S, PS3
PC: Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB ssd + 4TB hdd, GTX 970 SSC
post #146 of 14456 Old 12-13-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I see what you mean got mine setup today and the picture is definitely softer and has less detail than my wd live.I have mine connected to a 4k set and thers no way to select native resolution to let the tv upscale.Everything is upscaled by the shield.
post #147 of 14456 Old 12-13-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
I see what you mean got mine setup today and the picture is definitely softer and has less detail than my wd live.I have mine connected to a 4k set and thers no way to select native resolution to let the tv upscale.Everything is upscaled by the shield.
Will remove this one from my consideration.
post #148 of 14456 Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 AM
EVT
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Interesting observations. A quick question, are you outputting to a 4K TV? As I understand it there is presently a bug in the Shield introduced by a firmware update (that should get addressed) that auto upconverts to the native resolution of the display.

Although I haven't done A-B comparisons between my Dune players and the Shield, the picture looked comparable enough on my 1080p Panasonic plasma that I didn't feel like it warranted doing a comparison.

Have you used any specific test patterns or are you eyeballing it?
post #149 of 14456 Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Interesting observations. A quick question, are you outputting to a 4K TV? As I understand it there is presently a bug in the Shield introduced by a firmware update (that should get addressed) that auto upconverts to the native resolution of the display.

Although I haven't done A-B comparisons between my Dune players and the Shield, the picture looked comparable enough on my 1080p Panasonic plasma that I didn't feel like it warranted doing a comparison.

I have been using a Shield for a couple weeks. I have found the video to be quite good. I use it with an Vizio M70 C3 and this weekend connected it to my LG 50" plasma. I like the quality and certainly the speed of it. On my Vizio I have an ATV 4, Fire TV 4k, Roku 2 and the Shield and a HTPC that runs Plex Home Theater. I think the HTPC, Shield and the ATV 4 look best depending on content. The Vizio is 4k. So I use the ATV or HTPC with 1080 content. Im still deciding which streamer I like best. But the Shield is something Im keeping. Netflix 4k, Plex 4k work great. Downsides are no Amazon primarily.
post #150 of 14456 Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

My projector JVC RS35 is 1080p only.

As far as eyeballing and patterns, it's both. I used the test that I quoted in my original post from Spears and Munsil see https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/. The PS4 came out on top, with the Roku 3 second and the shield last. The PS4 passed the banding test, which the roku 3 and shield failed. The roku 3 is using bilinear filtering, the shield using nearest neighbor and the PS4 uses bicubic.

Also eyeballing I definitely notice the roku 3 is brighter/sharper and has more contrast. I've compared at least 5 different blu ray rips. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, I Robot, Avatar, Crouching Tiger, Sound of Music, Inception.

As I said before eyeballing it, it's pretty close. If I were to quantify the picture quality difference in terms of percentage/aka pull a number of out of my butt lol. I would say PS4 as the baseline, the Roku 3 as 3% worse and the shield as 5% worse. So it's a pretty small difference.

If didn't have anything to directly compare it to I would say the picture quality is pretty good and wouldn't have any complaints. It's like noticing edge enhancement, before I knew what it was i never noticed it, now that i do I can't stop noticing it!

I will also add that after more viewing time, I would say that the shield has more natural picture compared to the other two. Maybe I'm just so used to the current settings I do have which has a lot of pop and sharpness. My projector isn't calibrated, but the RS35 is pretty good out of the box and I'm happy with the picture it throws. I just prefer a sharper picture versus more natural.

The spears/munsil test result does make the comparison less subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
nvidia shield remotes , onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page