NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4166Likes

post #1831 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Hmm, so I can get a refurb gen 1 Shield TV base model for $170. Official Nvidia refurb. I have a gen 2 Pro on PO for the $300.

* I won't use the thing for gaming.
* I need IR input because I'll control it with my Control4 system via IR blaster. I won't use/don't need the actual Shield TV remote.
* Don't need the 500GB of space. The 16GB base flash should be enough for using it just for entertainment apps.
* It will only be a potential DVR client or Plex client for me, not a server in any way.

I can't use the gen 2 base model because it lacks the IR receiver, otherwise I'd do that. Hardware is the same. Gen 1 is getting all the same features as the gen 2. My sources are all kept downstairs in my rack, so any fan vs. no fan and such logistics do not matter.

Other than my general desire/practice of buying the latest/greatest when it comes to technology, I'm not finding any reason to justify spending the $300 vs. $170. Do you? Any aspects or logistics I'm overlooking?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Other than my general desire/practice of buying the latest/greatest when it comes to technology, I'm not finding any reason to justify spending the $300 vs. $170. Do you? Any aspects or logistics I'm overlooking?
You are good.
post #1833 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I broke down and bought a Shield, have been testing it this weekend, and I agree with the other reviews so far. As background, I have a new LG OLED TV, an older HDMI AVR (non-4k, non ARC), 5.1 surround setup and a ROKU 3. I don't have an Ultra to compare. I was looking for a nice all in one streaming device. The Shield is good but it does have its issues and my AVR restricts my situation. I may upgrade it but I really like it for everything else... So for now I am running HDMI to my TV and then optical to the AVR.

I did get the Shield set up with my Logitech Ultimate + Hub. It was working fine but there is some finicky issues with some apps like Amazon where the select button does not work. But for the most part it worked well.

The good: fast snappy performance, all my app needs, Chromecast, UHD + HDR working fine, IQ looked great to me...

The bad: Android TV is disappointing. I am an Android guy but have not used ATV since the Logitech Revue. The interface layout still seems clunky and I was expect more with the Nougat update. The Shield does not output Dolby Vision (my bad for not checking ahead of time). It still outputs HDR but since my TV does DV, it is a bummer. My sound situation is the biggest issue but that is really just due to my system. My TV will not pass DD or DD+ through the optical (I tried everything). The smart TV webOS apps pass DD fine but not from an external source. I know a new AVR would resolve this...

So by last night, I was already leaning toward bailing on the Shield and sticking with my ROKU 3 and LG Smart TV for a while until more UHD and HDR content becomes available or I get a new AVR. Then, I went to give the Shield one last try and fired up my system but got nothing while the Shield had the green light glowing. I did a power cycle on the Shield, got the Nvidia splash screen, then some static, then nothing. I guess there is a possibility it is the cable but it seems like a hardware failure in the Shield to me. It is a brand new Amazon Basics cable that was working fine all weekend and I only have that one for 4k. I will order a new cable and troubleshoot it more later this week but it looks like the Shield is going back at this point... If anyone has any suggestions I am open...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hardware issues with the Shield have been extremely rare.

Do you have any other devices plugged into the TV that you could disconnect and put the Shield on the other device's input and cable?
post #1835 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Hmm, so I can get a refurb gen 1 Shield TV base model for $170. Official Nvidia refurb. I have a gen 2 Pro on PO for the $300.

* I need IR input because I'll control it with my Control4 system via IR blaster. I won't use/don't need the actual Shield TV remote.
* Don't need the 500GB of space. The 16GB base flash should be enough for using it just for entertainment apps.
* It will only be a potential DVR client or Plex client for me, not a server in any way.

I can't use the gen 2 base model because it lacks the IR receiver, otherwise I'd do that. Hardware is the same. Gen 1 is getting all the same features as the gen 2. My sources are all kept downstairs in my rack, so any fan vs. no fan and such logistics do not matter.

I eventually came to a similar conclusion, except I purchased V2. So far I can work with the included remote, but if at any point I can't, the Flirc and some other suggestions made previously will work.

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 01-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #1836 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Is there a way to auto launch an app at startup?

Looks like this question has been asked a year ago and did not get answered. I only use the Shield for Kodi and not liking the look of the home page, especially the recommendation section.
post #1837 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Is anyone else getting a green line to the bottom of the screen while watching Amazon content? It only happens when I watch Amazon content and the audio also sounds muffled. 2017 Shield btw. Just received yesterday.
Hi 357. I also noticed this the other day on mine while streaming Amazon. I think I was watching The Man In The High Castle. I was concerned at first but then realized it was only visible in the Amazon app. I then watched some other programming on Amazon and did not see it.

Last edited by Panic 66; 01-23-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #1838 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post

Looks like this question has been asked a year ago and did not get answered. I only use the Shield for Kodi and not liking the look of the home page, especially the recommendation section.
I don't know of a way.

You can turn off the recommendations.
post #1839 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 View Post
...The Shield is good but it does have its issues and my AVR restricts my situation...

Curious. What are the limitations? Which AVR is it?

So by last night, I was already leaning toward bailing on the Shield and sticking with my ROKU 3 and LG Smart TV for a while until more UHD and HDR content becomes available or I get a new AVR. Then, I went to give the Shield one last try and fired up my system but got nothing while the Shield had the green light glowing. I did a power cycle on the Shield, got the Nvidia splash screen, then some static, then nothing. I guess there is a possibility it is the cable but it seems like a hardware failure in the Shield to me. It is a brand new Amazon Basics cable that was working fine all weekend and I only have that one for 4k. I will order a new cable and troubleshoot it more later this week but it looks like the Shield is going back at this point... If anyone has any suggestions I am open...
Unplug and plug cable back in and see if that helps before ordering a new cable. Yes, you need HDMI to get those audio sounds. I just upgraded from the Denon 3805 with no HDMI and was missing out on all the good stuff.

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
post #1840 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I don't know of a way.

You can turn off the recommendations.
Thanks. All recommendations have been turned off. No big deal but just don't like the look of the home page in general (black recommendation section, built in apps that cannot be hidden).
post #1841 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I did get the Shield set up with my Logitech Ultimate + Hub. It was working fine but there is some finicky issues with some apps like Amazon where the select button does not work. But for the most part it worked well.
Obviously, this doesn't matter if you don't get your startup issue resolved, but I did have the select problem with Harmony + Amazon ( and other media apps )and found a workaround online:

1. Add Mac computer as a new device in the Harmony App
2. Add the Mac to the Shield activity ( you won't actually need a real mac, you just need the button profile )
3. Re-map the Harmony 'select' button to 'OK' from the Mac device.

It now works to select in the Amazon app from Harmony
post #1842 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
Obviously, this doesn't matter if you don't get your startup issue resolved, but I did have the select problem with Harmony + Amazon ( and other media apps )and found a workaround online:

2. Add the Mac to the Shield activity ( you won't actually need a real mac, you just need the button profile )

One question, though. When you remap using the mac, do you lose the ability to select letters/numbers in an on-screen keyboard search?
post #1843 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I'm not using ARC...

It's directly connected to my sound bar (which supports both DD+ and Atmos DD+).

Seems as if others who have the same bar are also having the same issue (Samsung K950) as well as those who have newer Yamaha sound bars. Seems as if it was working before the 5.0.1 update...

So hopefully Nvidia can fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha. The Sonos is actually connected over optical, not ARC, so it has to have a DD stream or you get NADA.

I'm glad my TV has a Dolby license so it can knock it down to DD. Works well for my scenario.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1844 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 AM

All, thanks for the feedback so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Hardware issues with the Shield have been extremely rare.

Do you have any other devices plugged into the TV that you could disconnect and put the Shield on the other device's input and cable?
That is the only thing I have not tried yet. My family wanted to watch something so they were not in a patient mood. I will try another input port on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Unplug and plug cable back in and see if that helps before ordering a new cable. Yes, you need HDMI to get those audio sounds. I just upgraded from the Denon 3805 with no HDMI and was missing out on all the good stuff.
The limitations of my current AVR are only that I can't pass the HDMI through if it is 4K, and it also does not have ARC. So it is really just an audio limitation as I can only use optical. It is a Sony STR-DA4300ES which works like a champ other than the HDMI technology. Besides 5.1, I use it to power some tower speakers in another zone and it sounds fantastic. I just hate to constantly upgrade receivers but I get that it is a necessary evil unfortunately as HDMI evolves... Another option for me is to go back to ROKU and get and Ultra since it has optical out. That would give me good sound.

I did try unplugging and replugging the HDMI at the TV and at the Shield and both before and after power cycling it. It did not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post

Thanks for the detailed instructions! If I keep the shield, I will do that!
post #1845 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post
Hi 357. I also noticed this the other day on mine while streaming Amazon. I think I was watching The Man In The High Castle. I was concerned at first but then realized it was only visible in the Amazon app. I then watched some other programming on Amazon and did not see it.
Mine is with the Man in the High Castle as well originally but now it's showing with other TV shows on there as well.
post #1846 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
It's a Shield issue.

My bar does support DD+ (and TrueHD for that matter...) Worked fine with the Roku Ultra, except that box had other issues (HDCP errors, black screens, not switching back to DD, etc)

I think you didn't read my post very carefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
None of the ROKU devices support passthru so not sure how you were getting trueHD. The Ultra does support conversion of DD+ to DD but since your device support DD+ that would not have been needed. I moved from the ULTRA to the Shield to get audio passthru and now getting Atmos where I could not before.
post #1847 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
None of the ROKU devices support passthru so not sure how you were getting trueHD. The Ultra does support conversion of DD+ to DD but since your device support DD+ that would not have been needed. I moved from the ULTRA to the Shield to get audio passthru and now getting Atmos where I could not before.

Are people having reading comprehension issues this morning ?

I didn't say the Roku supported TrueHD ... I said my sound bar did.

I was getting DD+ Atmos via Vudu on the Roku.... that, and Netflix DD+, are not working.

Again... it points to a Shield issue.

There is a thread about it in the Nvidia support forums. Are you getting DD+ via Netflix and VUDU (if you use those?)

Last edited by FilmMixer; 01-23-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #1848 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
has anyone with Gen1 received the update yet?
post #1849 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS369 View Post
has anyone with Gen1 received the update yet?
Hopefully they will roll this out this week! Looking forward to the update!

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2019/Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #1850 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
The limitations of my current AVR are only that I can't pass the HDMI through if it is 4K, and it also does not have ARC. So it is really just an audio limitation as I can only use optical. It is a Sony STR-DA4300ES which works like a champ other than the HDMI technology. Besides 5.1, I use it to power some tower speakers in another zone and it sounds fantastic. I just hate to constantly upgrade receivers but I get that it is a necessary evil unfortunately as HDMI evolves... Another option for me is to go back to ROKU and get and Ultra since it has optical out. That would give me good sound.
Can you put an HDMI repeater in between your Shield and your AVR/TV? Maybe you can come out of your Shield and into the repeater, and then from the Repeater into the TV and the AVR in parallel?

Then you'll have 4K HDR video at your TV, but still have DD/DTS-HD-MA/TrueHD at your AVR?

A splitter would cost a lot less than a new AVR... I know Monoprice has an HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 repeater for $40ish bucks (but I am not well enough versed on 4k HDR to know if being HDMI 2.0 is "good enough" for the Shield, and the difference between 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b, etc)...
post #1851 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
There is. I have not done it, but I believe you need the XBMC Launcher app.

I can't help with installation, as again I haven't done it, but I'm sure there is a guide or alternative method out there somewhere.
ja00 likes this.
post #1852 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKBSRK View Post
One question, though. When you remap using the mac, do you lose the ability to select letters/numbers in an on-screen keyboard search?
Good question. I remember entering my netflix login with the on-screen keyboard from my iphone harmony app, but I don't remember if that was before I made the change. I'll have to check that later. In my case, I can live without the keyboard search, I can't do without the 'select/OK' button in PS Vue or Amazon.
post #1853 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

FWIW - I spent most of this weekend getting Gen 2 Shield (with FLIRC) integrated into my control system so this option does work. But even at that your're at ~$220 when you include FLIRC so it may be easier to just buy the pro (Gen 1 or 2). I like the small size of the Gen 2 so I spent the time to get it working... annoying but I have it working well now.
post #1854 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

For SPMC, I thought all you had to do was add a basic txt file and external storage (usb or whatever). I have not had an opportunity to try this yet though.

It may be possible to do this with FLIRC through a hotkey (perhaps through SPMC) but I haven't gottent that far yet - it's next on my list. If that's doable, then should be doable through any type of macro.
ja00 likes this.

Last edited by tgrinch; 01-23-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #1855 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatheid View Post
There is. I have not done it, but I believe you need the XBMC Launcher app.

I can't help with installation, as again I haven't done it, but I'm sure there is a guide or alternative method out there somewhere.
Thanks. I saw that one discussed in another forum but complicates things if you are playing with Android settings (which I still am).

Will try this tonight:
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/...t-SPMC-on-boot

Seems cleaner...
post #1856 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Can you put an HDMI repeater in between your Shield and your AVR/TV? Maybe you can come out of your Shield and into the repeater, and then from the Repeater into the TV and the AVR in parallel?

Then you'll have 4K HDR video at your TV, but still have DD/DTS-HD-MA/TrueHD at your AVR?

A splitter would cost a lot less than a new AVR... I know Monoprice has an HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 repeater for $40ish bucks (but I am not well enough versed on 4k HDR to know if being HDMI 2.0 is "good enough" for the Shield, and the difference between 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b, etc)...
It is a great idea but I don't think there is any reasonably costing solution that passes full HDR bandwidth. I think the actual product that would be needed would be a 1X2 splitter. I did a little searching and the only one I found that claims to work costs $150.
post #1857 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post
FWIW - I spent most of this weekend getting Gen 2 Shield (with FLIRC) integrated into my control system so this option does work. But even at that your're at ~$220 when you include FLIRC so it may be easier to just buy the pro (Gen 1 or 2). I like the small size of the Gen 2 so I spent the time to get it working... annoying but I have it working well now.
Are you using a Harmony IR remote in your setup?
Thanks, Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #1858 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
It is a great idea but I don't think there is any reasonably costing solution that passes full HDR bandwidth. I think the actual product that would be needed would be a 1X2 splitter. I did a little searching and the only one I found that claims to work costs $150.
Check out Monoprice.

TV: Panny 42" Plasma | Sources: nVidia Shield TV (2017); WDTV Live SMP; HDTV cable; SqeezeBox Touch | Receiver: Kenwood Sovereign 4090 | Fronts: JBL Studio S312 | Center: JBL LS Center | Surrounds: JBL N24II | Sub: None (saving for SVS PC-2000)
post #1859 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Are you using a Harmony IR remote in your setup?
Thanks, Gerry
I am not, sorry - URC remotes under Total Control. Using the standard WMC IR profile to send commands but the IR profile isn't too important when used with FLIRC.

I will say this - the new FLIRC model doesn't 100% support repeating keys if it's based on NEC IR protocol commands. Took me forever to figure out why long presses/repeats wouldn't work. Apparently that's in the works, but if you stay away from that, should work fine.
post #1860 of 13154 Old 01-23-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 454
I have a Harmony 950 IR remote. Bought the Shield gen2 in hopes that I can get it working using the FLIRC. My FLIRC comes tomorrow. In the mean time I have been trying to setup a activity that uses the FLIRC and ShieldTV using the Desktop S/W. I can add: Manufacturer = FLIRC & Model = XBMC w/o issue. What I cannot do is find anyway of adding the Shield Device. I have tried every combo I can think of with: Manufacturer = Nvidia & Model = ShieldTV, etc.. When I do get it to come up with ShieldTV it gives me an "explanation" mark and says I must connect to my HUB with mobile app, yada yada yada! I don't have a HUB.. The 2015 ShieldTV had an IR receiver, how the heck did anybody add them to an activity..
Since the Harmony will not complete the activity w/o a device of some sort if I can't come up with a Manufacturer/Model to input so I can setup the activity then the Shield is being returned. Knew it was going to be a problem when they dropped the IR receiver!
Also appears to be part of Logitech's problem also as there are now two generations of shields.......
Any help appreciated, Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
nvidia shield remotes , onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page