NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3133Likes

post #2041 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
OK, really liking the Shield over my Roku Ultra, but I have notice one quirk with Amazon Video. If I wake up the Shield and go into Amazon Video and pick Goliath it starts playing in Stereo even though it should be 5.1. If I go back to main Shield menu and go back into Amazon and play same Goliath episode it is in 5.1, very annoying.

Anyone else see this quirky behavior?

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post
Ordered the new shield but haven't gotten it yet. Can anyone tell me what media streaming apps available exactly are HDR capable besides Netflix and Amazon Video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
Hulu
Vudu
YouTube
UltraFlix
Fandango Now
My understanding is that only Netflix and Amazon Video will show HDR on the Shield..... I think that's what the question was....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2043 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
So I handle this 2 ways. I have Serviio and a few other DLNA servers I have run that is use for my Oppo to play raw MKVs with TrueHD and DTS-MA, I also loaded SMPC onto my new Shield that I can point direct to the UNC paths on my NAS this way I can get to it 2 ways through different devices.
I also am using Serviio. If you use the UNC path, don't you lose the metadata information? Since the Shield will play almost everything I have without transcoding, I could certainly play from UNC, but having the metadata is nice. Right now beside my Roku I have a Sony 1080 BluRay player that works very well as a media player. But it has two flaws (in my opinion): it doesn't display any metadata (not even in image of the DVD cover) and it will not pass the Dolby TrueHD bitstream to my AVR. It does DTS-MA with no problem. My previous Sony players would pass both HD audio codecs. The major reason I'd like to replace both the BD player and the Roku is to enable HD audio bitstream passthrough, which I understand the Shield supports.

SMPC just seems to be another version of Kodi, so I assume it is also capable of streaming from my Serviio box. Does it allow HD audio bitstreaming?

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
OK, really liking the Shield over my Roku Ultra, but I have notice one quirk with Amazon Video. If I wake up the Shield and go into Amazon Video and pick Goliath it starts playing in Stereo even though it should be 5.1. If I go back to main Shield menu and go back into Amazon and play same Goliath episode it is in 5.1, very annoying.

Anyone else see this quirky behavior?
I am not surprised. The Amazon app is very buggy. The Amazon app on my LG TV is also super buggy. Amazon really needs to get their act together because all their apps that I have used have been garbage. Meanwhile Netflix works just fine.
post #2045 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Hulu
Vudu
YouTube
UltraFlix
Fandango Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post
Hulu doesn't have any programming that is in HDR.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
And Vudu and Youtube don't have HDR on the Shield, right?
post #2046 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I just set up my 2015 Shield using my Harmony 650 remote using "Shield STB" as the model. It will turn on and off, but I can't use any of the Shield comnand keys. I tried to teach thr 650 the commands to no avail. Anyone have the 650 working with the Shield and what methods did you use?

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #2047 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah I was asking about HDR content. Got a shiny new Sony 4K/HDR tv and trying to throw some HDR content at it to see what its got.

So I have one more question about the Shield if anyone can answer. If say, the Vudu app can play HDR content on its android tv app, why wouldn't it be able to play the HDR content on the Shield if the Shield is capable of handling it? Isn't the Shield interface closely resembling that of Android tv? And doesn't the app come from the same Google Play App Store? Or is the app having to be altered or re-done for each Android streaming device?

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #2048 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
1. Launch the Harmony mobile app and connect to your Harmony hub.

2. Select MENU, then Harmony Setup > Add/Edit Devices & Activities > DEVICES

3. Select DEVICES and then press the ADD DEVICE button at the bottom of the screen.

4. Select SCAN FOR WI‑FI DEVICES and Harmony will search for Nvidia Shield devices on your home Wi‑Fi network.

5. Once added, Harmony will prompt you to create an Activity. Select Yes.

6. Continue through the series of questions to build your Watch Nvidia Shield Activity.

7. Once you have selected your devices and inputs, Harmony will prompt you to Bluetooth pair Harmony and Nvidia Shield.

a. Using your Nvidia Shield controller, navigate to the home screen.
b. Select Settings > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices > Add Bluetooth Device.
c. Harmony and Nvidia Shield should pair after several seconds.

This Method worked the best for me, adding the Shield to my Harmony Hub.

Link:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-pl/...-nvidia-shield
i2k and brotony like this.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #2049 of 10835 Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post

3. Select DEVICES and then press the ADD DEVICE button at the bottom of the screen.

4. Select SCAN FOR WI‑FI DEVICES and Harmony will search for Nvidia Shield devices on your home Wi‑Fi network.

6. Continue through the series of questions to build your Watch Nvidia Shield Activity.

7. Once you have selected your devices and inputs, Harmony will prompt you to Bluetooth pair Harmony and Nvidia Shield.

b. Select Settings > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices > Add Bluetooth Device.

Link:

Thanks for the quick response. The 650 is not bluetooth and won't work with hub. So, I am kind of at an impasse.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #2050 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post
Yeah I was asking about HDR content. Got a shiny new Sony 4K/HDR tv and trying to throw some HDR content at it to see what its got.

So I have one more question about the Shield if anyone can answer. If say, the Vudu app can play HDR content on its android tv app, why wouldn't it be able to play the HDR content on the Shield if the Shield is capable of handling it? Isn't the Shield interface closely resembling that of Android tv? And doesn't the app come from the same Google Play App Store? Or is the app having to be altered or re-done for each Android streaming device?
VUDU is ONLY DV (dolby vision) HDR at this point. No HDR10 but they say it will be implemented this year sometime. Your Sony TV will only process HDR10 content. HDR10 is available from Amazon & Netflix (at least with the apps I use- Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/VUDU)...
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #2051 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 377
crackthewhip, do you still ADD a "Flirc Device" to your Harmony Activity as in your original .pdf for setup? Or is that not necessary with the new s/w version?
Thanks, Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #2052 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrazda View Post
The revenant does not have atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never said it did. I referenced HD audio including Atmos and or DTS X HD which the Revenant certainly has.

Last edited by nebo1ss; 01-31-2017 at 02:04 AM.
post #2053 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
All HDR content (Netflix & Amazon) is too dark to be watchable on my JVC RS500. This is not the case when the same content is displayed from a Roku Ultra. Is there anyone here who is using the new Shield with a projector for the display who can comment? Thanks!
post #2054 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
From what I read (and tried), there is a new folder on the external USB drive called NVIDIA_SHIELD. This it seems is created by the new software.
You can write to this folder over the network.
I have Windows Network showing my Shield. I can write to "internal", the SD Card and I can see all of the files on my external USB drive. But, I can only write to the folder NVIDIA_SHIELD on the external drive.
So, I moved my videos and music folders from the top level into the NVIDIA_SHIELD directory - and can now read/write over the network.
That's good to hear. I've got a small HDD I can do some testing with this week and see how it goes for file transfers.
post #2055 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
crackthewhip, do you still ADD a "Flirc Device" to your Harmony Activity as in your original .pdf for setup? Or is that not necessary with the new s/w version?
Thanks, Gerry
DO NOT add the "Flirc Device" to the Harmony Activity. The original .pdf was for the older version of the FLIRC software. The new version includes a Shield controller, which makes for more precise programming. Since the Shield has no IR receiver, the Harmony remote must pass IR commands to the FLIRC device. The new .pdf includes a list of Harmony Buttons. You record the Harmony Button commands to the equivalent Shield Keys in the FLIRC software, so the FLIRC device can interpret these IR commands for the Shield to understand them. It is important that every step in the new .pdf is completed exactly as listed. Don't change anything or leave out a step. You should carefully read through the entire document before proceeding with the steps, so you are somewhat familiar with the process.

The MyHarmony software will automatically program remote buttons that it interprets from the new activity. If a button is programmed wrong or not programmed at all, drag and drop the new command to the button (refer to steps 7-8). For example, I want to use the Exit and Menu remote buttons, but the software did not know to program these buttons from the activity. Drag the Back command to the Harmony remote and drop it on the Exit button. Drag the Home command to the Harmony remote and drop it on the Menu button. If you have included a receiver as a device in your activity, check the Volume+, Volume-, and Mute buttons to confirm they are programmed correctly. Also confirm the buttons programmed for your display device are correct.

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #2056 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How's the 4k upscaling of the v1 with thew new firmware upgrade? I remember reading somewhere that the 4k upscaling from before the firmware upgrade was crap. So I had mine set to 1080p and I had my tv do the upscaling. Is this still the case after the upgrade? I mostly watch 1080p videos from Plex.

Now if I'm planning on watching HDR from Amazon, if I have my shield set to 1080p, would it be able to play the HDR content correctly? Or will I only be able to watch the HDR videos from Amazon if the shield is also configured as 4k?
post #2057 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post
Are you still having issues with HD audio sporadically working? If so are you running auto frame rate switching? I may have found/fixed the issue. Apparently there's a bug in SPMC with passthrough and framerate switching enabled.

Go to Settings-> Videos -> Playback-> Pause during refresh rate change -> Change this to 2.5 seconds.

I did this and I haven't had the issue manifest again - I'm cautiously optimistic we're good now! I'd be curious to see if it works for you as well.
Made this change and I am no longer having the issue with audio not playing. Went through 7 different videos last night with various audio streams (DTS, AAC, DTS-MA, TrueHD/Atmos). SPMC played them all. Thanks for the tip!
_spasm_ likes this.
post #2058 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw8755 View Post
I updated my Gen 1. I have re-arranged my app icons and after going into an app and exiting back to the home screen, the apps are re-arranged again. It keeps shoving KODI all the way to the right for example. Anyone else having issues like this?
See #5 from here - http://www.htpcbeginner.com/nvidia-shield-tv-tweaks/2/

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2059 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post
How's the 4k upscaling of the v1 with thew new firmware upgrade? I remember reading somewhere that the 4k upscaling from before the firmware upgrade was crap. So I had mine set to 1080p and I had my tv do the upscaling. Is this still the case after the upgrade? I mostly watch 1080p videos from Plex.

Now if I'm planning on watching HDR from Amazon, if I have my shield set to 1080p, would it be able to play the HDR content correctly? Or will I only be able to watch the HDR videos from Amazon if the shield is also configured as 4k?
I can't say for sure with the Shield, but every other 4K capable device I have requires the output to be set to 4K to have 4K videos available from Netflix and Amazon. I would be shocked if the Shield wasn't the same. Besides, if the Shield is outputting it at 1080, all you'll see on your display is upconverted 1080, not native 2160. I have my doubts that HDR would even be available if your display isn't set at 4K. It's not on my Roku players.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #2060 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post
I just set up my 2015 Shield using my Harmony 650 remote using "Shield STB" as the model. It will turn on and off, but I can't use any of the Shield comnand keys. I tried to teach thr 650 the commands to no avail. Anyone have the 650 working with the Shield and what methods did you use?
I have the 650 working with the shield using a flirc though I don't recall how I programmed it. I didn't follow the PDF that was listed a few posts back I did it a different way and only used the LH software.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2061 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post

Use NVIDIA Shield, not NVIDIA Shield TV or NVIDIA Shield STB. Only NVIDIA Shield has the Infrared commands for the 2015 model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2062 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
This was a bug, I believe. The behavior described happens even with "sort by recent usage" disabled, and it is somewhat random in the apps that get shuffled.

I think this was fixed in SE 5.0.2. My old model Shield which just got that doesn't do it (yet), but my new model Shield which is still on 5.0.1 does. It's been widely reported.
post #2063 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dolby Vision

I stumbled across this article with an interesting note about Dolby Vision. It was the first time I have read that DV was not not chip dependent. With the processing power of the Shield and the excellent firmware support, it makes me a little hopeful that Dolby Vision could be added in the future. One can always hope...

Quote:
Until CES 2017, it was widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors.
http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby...u-need-to-know
post #2064 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 View Post
I stumbled across this article with an interesting note about Dolby Vision. It was the first time I have read that DV was not not chip dependent. With the processing power of the Shield and the excellent firmware support, it makes me a little hopeful that Dolby Vision could be added in the future. One can always hope...

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby...u-need-to-know
The issues for Shield are the following:
1. Does the device have enough processing power? (Yes, it likely does)
2. Is Nvidia willing to pay the license fee to Dolby? (No, since Nvidia would likely have announced this with the release of the new Shield devices and increased the price to cover this added cost)

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #2065 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Forgot to include updated programming instructions for Harmony and FLIRC. See attachment.

thanks for putting this together....I am currently limping by using my harmony with a IR reader from an older windows media center remote.....its kind of working but looks like FLIRC would be a lot smoother

thanks
post #2066 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
I have the 650 working with the shield using a flirc though I don't recall how I programmed it. I didn't follow the PDF that was listed a few posts back I did it a different way and only used the LH software.
I just installed the flirc for my Shield 2017 and it works good so far. I didn't want to get another flirc for the 2015 Shield. I figured it should work with the Harmony 650 once I find the right model.

post #2067 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _spasm_ View Post
Use NVIDIA Shield, not NVIDIA Shield TV or NVIDIA Shield STB. Only NVIDIA Shield has the Infrared commands for the 2015 model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that was my first choice, but I will try it again tonight. You'd think by now Logitech would have the right model no. in the dropdown. Thanks.

post #2068 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any info on the new remotes? I have original shield tv,was going time to upgrade but can't find a reason to,my remote just died,perfect reason to get the new one. I can't find free r sale anywhere or a release date...
post #2069 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post

Link:

I have mine setup a little different but never did the Scan for Wifi.....what I did was setup the Shield as a Windows Computer device....which essentially pairs it as a bluetooth keyboard....that worked for everything and lets me map keyboard shortcut keys and function keys for apps like Kodi, etc....BUT the only thing it didn't allow was HOME....the Shield keyboard shortcut for HOME was Windows+Enter which can't be done via the Harmony. So I added a 2nd "dummy" device to the activity for Shield TV which had the Shield HOME remote key I could bind. Since the Hub and Shield were already paired the 2nd device just worked without any additional steps. So on my remote only the key i use for HOME is bound to the key from the 2nd device.....everything else uses the Bluetooth keyboard device.

I never turn my Shield off so didn't really bother with power on/off but those would be available via 2nd device.

Works great and being able to map regular keyboard commands is nice when dealing with apps like Kodi (Context, Info, Debug, etc), Netflix (debug overlay) and Plex.
post #2070 of 10835 Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Did anyone got the Sony 4k Ultra movie app to work playing HDR movies from Sony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
No luck. It plays other Sony movies, but the UHDHDR ones fail with the error - "The content item location is not available." - whatever that means.
I've not heard back from Sony regarding this, could not find anything in the support forums yet.
Heard back from Sony. Not supported:

Thank you for your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

The device you are using is not fully compatible with that App.

Sony Ultra HD movies will only play on compatible Sony Bravia TVs, models 2015 & later.

Patrick -SPHE Consumer Affairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page