NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3709Likes

post #2521 of 12330 Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
LOL Jeez man that's what I was saying
I think what you might be missing is that PLEX is a client/Server app you cannot just run a Client on the shield and connect to a NAS you must have a server. You do not have to run the server on the shield but you need some other device to run the server. You can run the Plex server on some NAS devices but very few work well because they do not have the processing power to support transcoding. In my set up I run the Plex server on a MAC MINI the data is on a NAS and the client is on the shield.

If you want to work with just the Shield and a NAS you are better off with KODI or SPMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 12330 Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
I think what you might be missing is that PLEX is a client/Server app you cannot just run a Client on the shield and connect to a NAS you must have a server. You do not have to run the server on the shield but you need some other device to run the server. You can run the Plex server on some NAS devices but very few work well because they do not have the processing power to support transcoding. In my set up I run the Plex server on a MAC MINI the data is on a NAS and the client is on the shield.

If you want to work with just the Shield and a NAS you are better off with KODI or SPMC.
Yes I know that - that's how my own is set-up (Shield as Client and NAS with server on NAS) and what i was saying - clearly not very well
post #2523 of 12330 Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Any long term Shield owners in here that used to use the install app to sd card feature? I am not talking about partitioning the OS on the SD card. Only moving apps.

I used to have the apps auto move to the sd card after download. Does anyone know if Nvidia removed this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 12330 Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Question regarding playing lossless Mkv bluray rips - with kodi installed on a shield, does it make sense or have any advantages in owning a mede8er for payback vs Kodi on a shield?

Background, I'm running Plex through rokus on 3 tv's, but want zero transcoding for the main theater room. The theater currently has a mede8er and works great, but kodi on shield sounds like an upgrade??
post #2525 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
Just got my Shield (coming from Roku P+ which had issues).

Crackle will not load after I downloaded it ("Crackle has stopped")- any suggestions?
There is an older version of the Crackle app that will lets me watch videos on my Nexus player. It should work on the Shield TV.

com.crackle.androidtv-4.2.0.0-109004200-minAPI21.apk

I think I got it off of APK Mirror. It has two limitations but otherwise works:

1. You will not be able to login, but it does let you resume the video you were watching if you have to stop and come back.

2. About once an hour a small patch of the screen will get a flutter for about a second or two.
post #2526 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
Question regarding playing lossless Mkv bluray rips - with kodi installed on a shield, does it make sense or have any advantages in owning a mede8er for payback vs Kodi on a shield?

Background, I'm running Plex through rokus on 3 tv's, but want zero transcoding for the main theater room. The theater currently has a mede8er and works great, but kodi on shield sounds like an upgrade??
For lossless rips, Kodi works great.

Excerpt on the Shield use SPMC instead of Kodi. It's a direct fork of Kodi specially for Android (and even more specifically for the Shield) created by the former Android dev for Kodi. Thus, all the usual Kodi skins and plugins work as expected.

post #2527 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
For lossless rips, Kodi works great.

Excerpt on the Shield use SPMC instead of Kodi. It's a direct fork of Kodi specially for Android (and even more specifically for the Shield) created by the former Android dev for Kodi. Thus, all the usual Kodi skins and plugins work as expected.

Good to know, Thanks! I'm just getting familiar with Kodi/SPMC and how powerful the Shield is. Are there any drawbacks? Pros/Cons when compared to a dedicated mkv media player like the Mede8er? I know that some media players have troubles with forced subtitles, DD TrueHD, etc.. My Mede8er has no issues with these. It does play 3d, but that is not important to me..

I really do not need to change players, but it has been a few years and not sure if anything has caught up to the mede8er on playback. This is a hobby, I like to mix things up a little, even if not necessary.. I just don't want to take a step backward.
post #2528 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I had a Mede8er 800X3D and tried the Shield. For me the Shield was also going to be a Plex Server, not just a client. So I had the PRO. I returned it. For me the Shield kept losing its connection to my NAS array where the media files are stored.

I played with Plex, SPMC, etc., and the Shield is, as one would expect, more complicated than the 800X3D. Given I'm having nothing but trouble from the guy who bought it who does not know how to do 3D archived video that is compatible with the 800X3D AND that the Shield for me was a but unstable with NAS arrays I wish I'd have just stuck with the 800X3D.

While its not a barn burner any more the Realtek 1186 and Mede8er's firmware work very well for local media player.
post #2529 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Good to know, Thanks! I'm just getting familiar with Kodi/SPMC and how powerful the Shield is. Are there any drawbacks? Pros/Cons when compared to a dedicated mkv media player like the Mede8er? I know that some media players have troubles with forced subtitles, DD TrueHD, etc.. My Mede8er has no issues with these. It does play 3d, but that is not important to me..

I really do not need to change players, but it has been a few years and not sure if anything has caught up to the mede8er on playback. This is a hobby, I like to mix things up a little, even if not necessary.. I just don't want to take a step backward.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've been running an Intel Nuc running LibreElec (Kodi) as well as a Roku with Plex.

I'm totally thrilled with my Shield and SPMC, at least in the Shield, is fast and stable. They added some Shield specific video scaling options a few revisions back and I'm satisfied with the scaling to 4K as well as the fact that's it's bitstreaming all the HD audio formats.
post #2530 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
I spent 1 hour and a half early this morning trying to run the instructions here:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-hu/...-nvidia-shield

I could never get this part to work:

Bluetooth pair Harmony and NVIDIA SHIELD

The pairing kept failing and on one occasion it found the Harmony Keyboard but it kept saying "Couldn't pair".

Has anyone been successful with this step of the setup and can share how they got it to work?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2531 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I spent 1 hour and a half early this morning trying to run the instructions here:

The pairing kept failing and on one occasion it found the Harmony Keyboard but it kept saying "Couldn't pair".

Has anyone been successful with this step of the setup and can share how they got it to work?
Hmm, I have paired my Shield to Harmony Hub both as a Windows PC and Nvidia Shield device without any problems. Just followed the instructions on the Harmony APP when using the activity for the first time and it worked. In fact my Shield activity has two devices (Windows Keyboard and Nvidia Shield) which both pair. This lets me use keyboard commands for Kodi and Plex as well as HOME for the Nvidia Shield. Only odd thing is that every now and then when starting the activity it prompts to pair again........I just skip and pair is still good so no clue why it keeps asking.
post #2532 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:

No issues with mine either using a shield 2015 and harmony hub.

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2533 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Hmm, I have paired my Shield to Harmony Hub both as a Windows PC and Nvidia Shield device without any problems. Just followed the instructions on the Harmony APP when using the activity for the first time and it worked. In fact my Shield activity has two devices (Windows Keyboard and Nvidia Shield) which both pair. This lets me use keyboard commands for Kodi and Plex as well as HOME for the Nvidia Shield. Only odd thing is that every now and then when starting the activity it prompts to pair again........I just skip and pair is still good so no clue why it keeps asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
No issues with mine either using a shield 2015 and harmony hub.

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk
I guess it's just me then...

After about 2 1/2 hours both by myself and then while talking with both Nvidia support and Harmony support the pairing finally worked (while on phone with Harmony). I have problems pairing most bluetooth devices except for my Vizio "P" series display which doesn't ever have problems with pairing. All other bluetooth devices have problems pairing. For me, pairing is usually very finicky.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2534 of 12330 Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now I don't know what's going on? After finally getting the bluetooth pairing to work with the Harmony keyboard I'm not getting any sound on any of the apps. I tried both Vudu and Netflix and tried a couple of videos and there's no sound? Anyone know why this might be happening?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2535 of 12330 Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now I don't know what's going on? After finally getting the bluetooth pairing to work with the Harmony keyboard I'm not getting any sound on any of the apps. I tried both Vudu and Netflix and tried a couple of videos and there's no sound? Anyone know why this might be happening?
This could only happen to me.

I found out why I wasn't getting any audio when connected to my Shield. After the many attempts to pair the Shield with the Harmony keyboard, apparently the Shield paired with my Echo Dot in another room without my realizing it. The audio was going through that device instead of my AVR via HDMI. Once I unpaired it this morning the audio returned. I didn't know that you could easily pair with the Echo Dot and thought all devices had to be in pairing mode?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 03-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #2536 of 12330 Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

SPMC on the Shield is great and it's scaling options for 4k are much better than the default Shield (which is so-so at 4k scaling, and can't be disabled unless you either use SPMC or disable 4k on the Shield, which means it won't work for Netflix 4k, etc. until you change it back. Nvidia is supposedly working on this).

Be aware it's a revision behind the mainstream Kodi, however there are enough Shield and Android TV specific improvements - integration with Watch Now bar, voice control, more advanced audio, and 4k scaling - to make it worth it.

I think BD rips played with SPMC are near equal anything the Dune or a HTPC puts out, unless in the case of the latter you are using MadVR, Windows, and a serious GPU.

Default Kodi uses Nvidia scaling, which is decent, but not as good. Even a non-critical eye can see the difference.
post #2537 of 12330 Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Anyone have any info on when nVidia will update the Shield for the Google Assistant / handsfree mic features? I am hoping no later than this month, but have not run into any dates on it.
post #2538 of 12330 Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
Anyone have any info on when nVidia will update the Shield for the Google Assistant / handsfree mic features? I am hoping no later than this month, but have not run into any dates on it.
We are probably waiting on Google more than Nvidia. Google will roll it out via Google Play Services and the Google App just like it did this week on all non Pixel Android phones. I am guessing Assistant will hit all Android TV devices at once and then we will see a small firmware update from Nvidia that activates the remote.

Which basically means we have no idea since Google rarely gives dates. Hopefully soon since it just happened with phones.
post #2539 of 12330 Old 03-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My Shield TV is not registering as 4K/HDR when it comes out of sleep. If I reboot, everything works fine. I see 4K and/or HDR on Netflix and Amazon, and everything plays properly with HDR kicking in and test patterns ramping up to 4k quickly. But coming out of sleep, it acts as though I'm not connected to a 4K TV. Netflix shows HD on the markers and only ramps up to 1080p and Amazon doesn't kick in HDR. My setup is Shield -> Denon X1300W (2016 model) -> LG B6 OLED TV. The Shield is hardwired to the router. My Roku Premiere+ and Samsung K8500 also connect through the Denon and they consistently pass 4K and HDR. Anyone else encounter this?
post #2540 of 12330 Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnc View Post
My Shield TV is not registering as 4K/HDR when it comes out of sleep. If I reboot, everything works fine. I see 4K and/or HDR on Netflix and Amazon, and everything plays properly with HDR kicking in and test patterns ramping up to 4k quickly. But coming out of sleep, it acts as though I'm not connected to a 4K TV. Netflix shows HD on the markers and only ramps up to 1080p and Amazon doesn't kick in HDR. My setup is Shield -> Denon X1300W (2016 model) -> LG B6 OLED TV. The Shield is hardwired to the router. My Roku Premiere+ and Samsung K8500 also connect through the Denon and they consistently pass 4K and HDR. Anyone else encounter this?
I have the same issue with Shield -> Denon S720W - Sony 930d. Doesn't happen everytime the unit goes to sleep, but definitely > 50% of the time
post #2541 of 12330 Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I know this may sound like a strange question but are there any options under "HDMI settings" to adjust color saturation, tint, brightness, contrast and sharpness to the HDMI output of the Nvidia Shield TV ?
Are there any apps available for downloading offering test patterns for calibrating the Shield TV ?

From past experience, i prefer having the ability of adjusting those video parameters at the source instead of having to use the controls available on my A/V processor or my LED projector...
post #2542 of 12330 Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMatt01 View Post
I have the same issue with Shield -> Denon S720W - Sony 930d. Doesn't happen everytime the unit goes to sleep, but definitely > 50% of the time
Same issue here. Shield -> Yamaha RX-A860 > Sony 55X930D. It happens about about 50% of the time. The only way to fix it is to reboot the tv.
post #2543 of 12330 Old 03-11-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Do you get an error message? I can't play any Sony title I own in UHD via the app, not even in HD resolution.
It seems they have it working now for Sony HD titles. I just tried 3 of my titles that I own in HD (not UHD) and they will play now. Hopefully it won't be long now when the UHD titles will play? Do all the apps on the Shield get updated automatically or does the user have to manually update?
Stevetd likes this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2544 of 12330 Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
I still can't play Netflix UHD on the Shield. Any of the shows that are UHD only show HD in the listing. Not sure if this is a Shield, Netflix or Roku TV thing since I already have Netflix on Roku TV where I watch their UHD stuff. Anyone have it working with a Roku TV?
post #2545 of 12330 Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I still can't play Netflix UHD on the Shield. Any of the shows that are UHD only show HD in the listing. Not sure if this is a Shield, Netflix or Roku TV thing since I already have Netflix on Roku TV where I watch their UHD stuff. Anyone have it working with a Roku TV?
Strange, if you can watch UHD on the Roku TV, you should also be able to watch it on the Shield? I am able to watch UHD on the Shield. You may want to call Shield technical support? Are you able to watch UHD on the other apps on the Shield?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2546 of 12330 Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Strange, if you can watch UHD on the Roku TV, you should also be able to watch it on the Shield? I am able to watch UHD on the Shield. You may want to call Shield technical support? Are you able to watch UHD on the other apps on the Shield?
I keep meaning to bring it up on their support forum. Others are having problems with Netflix UHD and the Shield too. There has been a charge that Nvidia messed up even for Google Play Movies. Do you have a "smart tv" or just a monitor?
post #2547 of 12330 Old 03-12-2017, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I keep meaning to bring it up on their support forum. Others are having problems with Netflix UHD and the Shield too. There has been a charge that Nvidia messed up even for Google Play Movies. Do you have a "smart tv" or just a monitor?
It's a Vizio "P" series. Have you tried rebooting the Shield?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2548 of 12330 Old 03-12-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
It seems they have it working now for Sony HD titles. I just tried 3 of my titles that I own in HD (not UHD) and they will play now. Hopefully it won't be long now when the UHD titles will play? Do all the apps on the Shield get updated automatically or does the user have to manually update?
I did all the available updates last night, but playing my UHD titles through Ultra is still broken for me.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #2549 of 12330 Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did all the available updates last night, but playing my UHD titles through Ultra is still broken for me.
Sorry if I wasn't clear but only HD titles are working for me too but the none of them used to work for me so it's progress...

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2550 of 12330 Old 03-12-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you do the updates?

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
onkyo ht s7800 , samsung ks8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page