Originally Posted by crackthewhip
Make sure the Shield is a device in your Google account and you are signed in to your account. Your Shield should then show up as a casting device when casting from Chrome.
I log into my Google account and the Nvidia Shield Android TV device is there but when I try to cast to it I still get "No Cast destinations found". Maybe there is an issue with my running a VPN connection with a split tunnel, although Chrome on my Linux Mint 18.1 laptop has the same problem and it isn't running a VPN.
It is encouraging to see that others are able to so this successfully, so at least I know the functionality works and I'm not pursuing a dead end.
I booted up an old Windows 7 laptop and connected it to my network via 802.11 at 2.5 Ghz. It can cast from the Chrome browser to the Shield. Connecting my Windows 10 laptop via 802.11 at 2.5 Ghz still says "No Cast destinations found" when I try to cast from Chrome. This pretty much isolates the Windows 10 laptop as the problem. I'll keep digging.
I've done some more investigation. Google Cast devices are discovered using mDNS. I used a tool called Bonjour Browser that discovers devices using mDNS. On my Windows 7 laptop, I see a list of devices, including the Shield. On my Windows 10 laptop, I see no devices. Something has mDNS disabled on my Windows 10 laptop.
I found the problem. My firewall was blocking mDNS. Multicast address 22.214.171.124 and UDP port 5353 have to be allowed for mDNS discovery of Google Cast devices _googlecast._tcp.local. Once I added rules to allow mDNS through the firewall, casting from Windows 10 to the Nvidia Shield worked successfully.