AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1918937-nvidia-shield-android-tv-set-top-box.html)

space2001 03-04-2015 04:44 AM

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
 
SHIELD specifications:
  • SoC – NVIDIA Tegra X1 octa-core processor with 4x Cortex A57 cores, 4x Cortex A53 cores, and a 256-core Maxwell GPU
  • System Memory – 3GB RAM
  • Storage – 16 GB + MicroSD slot
  • Video - HDMI 2.0 output up to 4K @ 60 Hz (with HDMI-CEC support)
  • Video - 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
  • Audio - 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI,
  • Audio - High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
  • Audio - High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
  • Connectivity – USB – 2x USB 3.0 (Type A) + 1x micro-USB 2.0 port
  • Bluetooth Remote Control with Microphone for voice search and a Headset Jack for private listening
  • Misc – IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
  • Power Supply – 40 W power adapter
  • Dimensions – 210 x 130 x 25 mm
  • Weight – 654 g


http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/...-x1-processor/


could have a nice player coming our way. Very powerful

Brajesh 03-04-2015 08:26 AM

Agree. This eclipses the upcoming Razer Forge. Looks like HD audio passthrough may be possible on this.

markiz2001 04-03-2015 08:53 PM

any other media palyer that supports [email protected] yet?

HD_Dude 06-02-2015 10:53 AM

A Very Fast Machine
 
6 Attachment(s)
I bought the NVidia Shield Set Top Box from Amazon- set it up last night. Beautiful piece of gear. Smaller than I imagined - it's about the size of a DVD case.

Background: I have the new Sony 43" 4K television - the XBR43X830C. Great TV, with a great picture. But, I found that while streaming 4K content from YouTube or Netflix, I would get occasional stutters. The picture would stop, then start. This was despite me having 75/75 broadband via FIOS, with my TV connected with CAT6.

I stream a lot of material, using a PS4 and AppleTV, and I had never experienced this kind of stop-and-go action. So, I wanted to see if that was just part of the 4K experience? Or was the Sony's internet connectivity/graphics capability causing it?

That's why I bought the Shield. It has the same Android TV interface. Same Netflix 4K app. But - it's pretty maxxed out in specs, including ultra fast internet speed. I wanted to see if it would provide a better viewing experience, using the Shield as the engine, and the Sony as just the screen.

Turned out it was a good call. The Shield provides a much more stable 4K viewing experience. Hardly a stutter at all. Every now and then, during a graphics-intensive section of a 4K video, there might be a nanosecond of start-stop - but nothing like the Sony.

It is a redundant piece of gear. The Sony is Android TV, and so is the Shield. But for $200, the shield has improved my enjoyment of the 4K experience.

Also, the Shield is wicked fast when scrolling through the Android TV interface - blazing fast. A very enjoyable, good-looking, capable piece of gear.

That said - any other ideas about how to maximize the 4K streaming experience?

Thanks

Brajesh 06-02-2015 02:59 PM


kerocc 06-02-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brajesh (Post 34706897)
It's a powerful box, but for media playback, nVidia has some work cut out...

Thanx for the extra info. Will be keeping a close eye on this as was hoping this was going to be the 4k HTPC solution for local streaming. Lots of work to be done - but keeping the fingers crossed. :)

SilverBlade 06-07-2015 07:31 PM

Bitstreaming HD audio isn't possible with the SHIELD.

Basically, a big FAIL in my books.

africanlivedit 06-09-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade (Post 34840545)
Bitstreaming HD audio isn't possible with the SHIELD.

Basically, a big FAIL in my books.

Same. I have to upgrade my reciever to the Pioneer 830 in order to get 5.1 in Netflix along with 4K (I have the Sony 850a).

Nevertheless, I do really like the Shield TV. It has ton of potential.

almostinsane 06-09-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade (Post 34840545)
Bitstreaming HD audio isn't possible with the SHIELD.

Basically, a big FAIL in my books.

It is not possible with any Android device.

HD_Dude 06-10-2015 09:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Both my Sony 4K TV and the Shield use Android TV as the OS.

BUT...when I plug a 2TB external USB 3.0 HDD filled with 275 GB of movies (MP4, H.264, high quality, around 10GB per movie) into the Sony's USB ports, it can't read them most of the time. Sometimes it reads a few...but it's touch and go. And even for those few files it does read, it takes a hour or so for the files to show up. And if you hit play - it's a stop-and-go buffering nightmare. Impossible to just sit down and watch a movie...because you never know if it'll be there, or whether it'll be watchable.

The Shield? Perfect.

Takes about 4-5 minutes for it to identify the drive's contents, and correctly display the list of movies. And when it does, every single one is playable, with gorgeous picture, no buffering, and zero lip sync trouble.

For me, that alone is worth it. The more I use this rock-solid piece of gear, the more I love it.

almostinsane 06-10-2015 02:36 PM

I agree. I love this device. It's been the first STB in years that has been worth my money.

SilverBlade 06-10-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostinsane (Post 34890921)
It is not possible with any Android device.

I think (hope) that will change in time as these boxes get more processing power behind them with proper CPU's that can actually bitstream HD audio.

almostinsane 06-10-2015 05:49 PM

I hope for that as well.

Willie 06-10-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostinsane (Post 34890921)
It is not possible with any Android device.

That is incorrect.

SilverBlade 06-10-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie (Post 34929217)
That is incorrect.

???

Willie 06-11-2015 06:35 AM

There is more than one Android box that can pass HD Audio to an AVR. Vidon and HiMedia Q5 can do it to name two.

cstmstyle 06-12-2015 05:48 AM

If you look around you will see HD Audio on the Shield is being talked about and was addressed by NVIDIA. Its a Licensing issue that is all. Go over to the NVIDIA forums and add your comment to the Codec Pack request thread. As it stands now I think there is a really big chance we will get a codec pack to address the issues with the SHIELD but the more requests from customers the better. We are already getting the MPEG/2 HW decoding in an update soon.

SilverBlade 06-12-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstmstyle (Post 34963905)
If you look around you will see HD Audio on the Shield is being talked about and was addressed by NVIDIA. Its a Licensing issue that is all. Go over to the NVIDIA forums and add your comment to the Codec Pack request thread. As it stands now I think there is a really big chance we will get a codec pack to address the issues with the SHIELD but the more requests from customers the better. We are already getting the MPEG/2 HW decoding in an update soon.

I hope this happens, as I trust that Nvidia can get HD audio working correctly. They do have the resources behind it to test it thoroughly

Wendell R. Breland 06-13-2015 07:45 AM

Does anyone have discrete IR hex codes for this unit? If so, would you please post them here or provide a link. Could not find any at Remote Central.

Miguel6868 06-14-2015 10:25 AM

Agreed... :0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cstmstyle (Post 34963905)
If you look around you will see HD Audio on the Shield is being talked about and was addressed by NVIDIA. Its a Licensing issue that is all. Go over to the NVIDIA forums and add your comment to the Codec Pack request thread. As it stands now I think there is a really big chance we will get a codec pack to address the issues with the SHIELD but the more requests from customers the better. We are already getting the MPEG/2 HW decoding in an update soon.

Nice:)

staknhalo 06-15-2015 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Today's update enabled MPEG2 HW decode support. You can now use the Live Channels app.

qz3fwd 06-15-2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staknhalo (Post 35043241)
Today's update enabled MPEG2 HW decode support. You can now use the Live Channels app.

That is awesome-cannot wait to get me 500GB version tomorrow from Amazon.
I look forward to using it with my HDHR's.

bluewhale1 06-29-2015 04:28 AM

How about hd audio for those of use who dont use receiver? Will it decode/downmix when using Kodi?

ggw2000 06-29-2015 11:23 AM

Was doing a little reading on this unit the other day. Sounds like a nice unit but with some shortfalls. 1. I don't see HDCP 2.2 compliance listed on their spec page? 2. No optical or coaxial audio ouput. 3. No Amazon Instant video app....
Nicest unit I've seen to date but without being able to feed audio to my AVR puts a real damper on things- Oh Well..
Gerry

Brian 06-29-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggw2000 (Post 35405794)
Was doing a little reading on this unit the other day. Sounds like a nice unit but with some shortfalls. 1. I don't see HDCP 2.2 compliance listed on their spec page? 2. No optical or coaxial audio ouput. 3. No Amazon Instant video app....
Nicest unit I've seen to date but without being able to feed audio to my AVR puts a real damper on things- Oh Well..
Gerry

It has HDCP 2.2. The second two are correct. Number 2 won't be a problem if you have an HDCP 2.2 receiver or a splitter. Non-HD DTS and DD can be passed through the TV through ARC or optical/coax output. The SATV and a splitter are still half the price of an FMP-X10, which also doesn't have Amazon.

ggw2000 06-30-2015 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 35415922)
It has HDCP 2.2. The second two are correct. Number 2 won't be a problem if you have an HDCP 2.2 receiver or a splitter. Non-HD DTS and DD can be passed through the TV through ARC or optical/coax output. The SATV and a splitter are still half the price of an FMP-X10, which also doesn't have Amazon.

Thought it had to be 2.2 but it doesn't specifically say so. As far as audio, why should I have to buy a new AVR to use unit? Not quite sure what you mean by splitter. I could run a optical from TV to AVR but then again why should I have to do workarounds. Did some research on AVRs a few months ago. At that time most all only had one HDCP 2.2 compliant port.
As far as the FMP-X10 I know all about it as I have one without Amazon :(.
Gerry

davebytes 07-01-2015 02:31 PM

Yes, shield is HDCP 2.2 compliant. That's a requirement for Netflix 4K. Entire chain must be HDCP 2.2.

From my own research, many AVRs and TVs prior to this year do not have HDCP 2.2. You need to look hard, and yes in many cases it might be restricted to a single port. AND especially on TVs, when there is only one port, it often isn't the 'best quality' port (old hdmi chips might not be able to do say 4K 4:4:4 and hdcp due to bandwidth issues). There are some upcoming AVRs which have all ports HDCP enabled, which is good future-proofing. Too many of last year's AVRs started adding 4K, but had no HDCP, or the 4K was only @30Hz .

I believe HD passthrough is being worked on. Some applications might do HD format decode, downmix, or stripping -- that's really on an app by app basis though, I'd assume there are licensing issues that go along with decode.

Brian 07-03-2015 12:32 AM

Ultraflix just added support, so now we've got even more content available. You'll need a mouse connected to complete the login process the first time.

Crashless 08-10-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space2001 (Post 32309697)
SHIELD specifications:
  • SoC – NVIDIA Tegra X1 octa-core processor with 4x Cortex A57 cores, 4x Cortex A53 cores, and a 256-core Maxwell GPU
  • System Memory – 3GB RAM
  • Storage – 16 GB + MicroSD slot
  • Video - HDMI 2.0 output up to 4K @ 60 Hz (with HDMI-CEC support)
  • Video - 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
  • Audio - 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI,
  • Audio - High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
  • Audio - High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
  • Connectivity – USB – 2x USB 3.0 (Type A) + 1x micro-USB 2.0 port
  • Bluetooth Remote Control with Microphone for voice search and a Headset Jack for private listening
  • Misc – IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
  • Power Supply – 40 W power adapter
  • Dimensions – 210 x 130 x 25 mm
  • Weight – 654 g


http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/...-x1-processor/


could have a nice player coming our way. Very powerful

Has anyone tried this with an HDR set? The spec sheet says it supports REC 2020, so is there a setup screen to adjust that, or is it one of those checkbox spec sheet things where the hardware supports it, but there's no UI to actually turn the thing on?

I'm considering one of these only if I can consider it relatively "future-proof" to support HDR video and rec-2020. Otherwise, I'll just save $130 and get a Nexus TV.

Thanks in advance.

africanlivedit 08-10-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 35500106)
Ultraflix just added support, so now we've got even more content available. You'll need a mouse connected to complete the login process the first time.

Ultraflix is now availiable via app on the Shield TV?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.