Pulling the plug on cable. Need opinions on streaming services for TV shows. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Heerts

post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Pulling the plug on cable. Need opinions on streaming services for TV shows.

I'm tired of Timewarner's escalating rates. I liked Direct TV but I can't get a good signal at my present condo. Looking to pull the plug on cable next month.

What steaming service offers the most TV content? I'm willing to pay for both Hulu Plus and Netflix if necessary. I love anime so I already have a membership at crunchyroll.com. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using Sling TV for about a month for live (and recent) content. I am satisfied with it
post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2015, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check out slingtv website tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Wow I just started a thread like this. I use Roku's. They are awesome! I signed up for netflix, hulu, and amazon prime. It also comes with hundreds of other apps you can add to it. I never run out of things to do. If you like news cbs has a live streaming app as well.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I cut the cord about a year ago and now use a quad-tuner Tablo off-the-air DVR combined with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to cover the bulk of my needs. I honestly don't use the DVR very much compared to the amount of time I spend on the streaming services. Once in awhile, there will be a show I want to follow the current season of that is not on a broadcast network. Most of the time, I can subscribe via Vudu or Amazon for $25/season and get each show the day after it airs. I only do this for a handful of shows. Most of the time, I just wait for it to show up on Netflix or Amazon.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #6 of 17 Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
I'm tired of Timewarner's escalating rates. I liked Direct TV but I can't get a good signal at my present condo. Looking to pull the plug on cable next month.

What steaming service offers the most TV content? I'm willing to pay for both Hulu Plus and Netflix if necessary. I love anime so I already have a membership at crunchyroll.com. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
A little more info would help.

What do you like to watch?

What, come hell or high water, can you NOT live without? Sports? Movies? Certain TV Series? Etc...

Where are you located with regards to your local TV stations? Have you gone to www.antennaweb.org and seen what type of antenna you will need for locals(ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/CW/Etc...)

Unless you have some equipment in place, you are going to find out that the initial START UP COST for "cord cutting" is pretty high, and might scare you off.

But remember, this is an INVESTMENT. It will pay off in 1 year, maybe 2.

And you can KISS GOODBYE the escalating cable costs. But ONLY if you are willing to give a little. This will happen to everyone.

And if you have a family, watch out. The wife, and kids, may HATE this, and you will be forced to just stick with what you have.

But more info would help.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For TV, probably Hulu has the most content, and most recent shows. I prefer Netflix myself, because of my viewing preferences (movies/documentaries and no adverts), but my wife just has to have her TV series. Often, a show will be on Hulu a day or so after first airing on cable/ OTA. Of course, Hulu has movies and documentaries as well.

Note that you can watch Hulu free of charge on your computer, but it will be in SD. For HD on a streaming player (like Roku), it's about $8/month. Limited commercials, one minute breaks, not nearly so annoying as with cable or OTA.

I don't miss cable at all because of the vast amount of programming available when I want to watch, and adverts were driving me nuts. The cost savings is good too, but even without that, I would prefer streaming. When we want to watch the news, we get that OTA.

Good luck.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hulu for tv shows
Netflix for movies
post #9 of 17 Old 04-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg316 View Post
Hulu for tv shows
Netflix for movies
Hulu for current season TV shows, but both Netflix and Amazon are better for back season catalog. I would also like to point out that the amount of overlapping content between Netflix and Amazon is shrinking all the time. There is real value to having both. I personally subscribe to all three services and find that between the three, they cover most of what I want to watch.

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #10 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
I love Amazon! Some times you can rent movies while they are in theaters. Of course this adds to your monthly cost, but I love that option! Generally if you wait a month or 2 they are free but some times you just wanna watch something current and Amazon gives you that for about 5 bucks a pop.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

I generally use Vudu for all of my purchased content, because most of what they have is either UV or DMA and there is a vast gray market for codes. I can buy new releases for about 1/3 the cost of getting them on Blu-Ray or from Vudu or Amazon directly.

post #12 of 17 Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think the VERY best way is first of all, get a GOOD OTA antenna, you should get a lot of channels and all your major network ones that way.

Then for a android box, the Nvidia Shield completely blows all the others out of the water. From that, you go to a pre-installed ap called KODI. From that app, you can pretty much find every channel in the entire world, they say about 3000, for free.
ingramba likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Holy necro bump batman, you do realize your first post was in an 18 month old thread.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-12-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post
Holy necro bump batman, you do realize your first post was in an 18 month old thread.
Some sort of marketing bot
post #15 of 17 Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 651
I use Playstation Vue ...used to have Sling but I think Vue is better and more reliable performance wise. Currently have the cheapest Vue package which has more than enough channels and covers all the required ones for us.

For OTA just good ol attic antenna and a Tivo OTA Roamio
post #16 of 17 Old 10-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I find that with all my streaming boxes, My Nvidia Shield TV is the most complete solution of the bunch! HDR on Netflix, Amazon, & I can stream VUDU UHD 4K with ATMOS on my non- Dolby Vision Samsung 55JS9000 TV.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do most people that use Amazon start a stream with a really poor picture that is eventually refined to 1080 after a few minutes? When I stream Netflix, it's an instant connection with a perfect picture. Just wondering if others experience that sort of buffering with Amazon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page