How many cord cutters are in here? - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 189Likes

post #301 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 2518
You'd be better off with a Tivo price-wise. I also agree about a straight OTA connection. The picture is so much nicer than having to go through multiple steps and having a degraded signal.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
Since we had Direct TV before and I have coax run to all the tv locations I purchased a Channelmaster distribution amp so that I can have a direct antenna feed to any of the TV’s if I wish. . . .

. . . Tablo and other services are highly dependent on your home network, In one trouble spot I need a powerline adapter to get enough bandwidth.
You have coax running from your antenna to a CM distribution amp then from the amp out to the individual rooms. If your CM amp is bi-directional and MOCA rated then you have the basics for a MOCA network which will be faster than powerline adapters. All you need are ActionTec MOCA adapters to bridge your ethernet switches across the coax. If you have any network trouble spots in the future, keep this in mind.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #303 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
Tablo is a neat idea in theory, and it is probably the future of cord cutting, but I see at leas two drawbacks:

1. It doesn't allow a direct HDMI connection to TV. So the OTA is first compressed with h.264, then beamed over your network to a Roku or similar device, which will result in loss of video quality. One of the silver linings of cord cutting is the superb OTA picture quality, but with Tablo I might as well be watching pixelated Uverse.

2. So if I understand this, you need the Tablo ($200), plus the lifetime subscription ($150), plus buy you own external HDD ($100), plus a Roku or similar device for every TV you want to connect ($50+)? Do you really save that much money over a TIVo Roamio OTA? Seems like the price would actually be about the same.
3. Tablo doesnt do DD5.1 sound.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I also agree about a straight OTA connection. The picture is so much nicer than having to go through multiple steps and having a degraded signal.
The OTA image in a lot of cases isn't worth bragging about... by the time the various sub-channels cut into it. I know from experience. Such as anything moving above a crawl turns my local NBC image into a pixel mess.

I have cut the cord twice. Currently three or four years. I have four network tuners that require "so called multiple steps" and the image is untouched and delivered in all its glory... or at least what is left of it... see above.

I was using WMC and have switched to DVBLink where all of the DVRing aspect (server) is handled by a NAS. For clients (OpenELEC/Kodi) I use quad-core PCs (under $100) that also display local media with HD audio. I do think in most cases the $400 OTA TiVo with Lifetime (if you missed the $300 promotion) is the way to go. Since I need/want high-end local streaming it wasn't for me. Any additional cost (if there are any) will certainly pay itself back over time via any number of factors.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #305 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5691
OK, finally read most of this thread (after seeing the header every day for a few months) and am more than ready to "cut the cord". Thanks to DrunkPenguin!

However, I am currently only halfway through a 2 year contract with DirecTV...that means I would have to pay ~$250 to cancel now.

But, the Tivo OTA (amazing all that little box can do!) is only $400 (with lifetime), so I believe I would still come out ahead after only ~6 months. I would have to get an OTA antenna, don't currently have one. How much does a good one cost?

Good plan or not?
post #306 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would suggest visiting antennaweb or TVFool to see what's available OTA in your area. They offer antenna suggestions, as well as which way to point it for best reception but also note any tall trees, building or structures in your LOS, as that can affect reception.
dmarqueset likes this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #307 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You have coax running from your antenna to a CM distribution amp then from the amp out to the individual rooms. If your CM amp is bi-directional and MOCA rated then you have the basics for a MOCA network which will be faster than powerline adapters. All you need are ActionTec MOCA adapters to bridge your ethernet switches across the coax. If you have any network trouble spots in the future, keep this in mind.
I've read a tiny bit about MOCA so I may need to look into it more (although a pair of actiontec adapters is about 2x the cost of a powerline 500). I currently have a powerline setup and it seems to be working well. Here is the amp I got; I don't see in the tech sheet if its bi-directional.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna..._p/cm-3418.htm

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #308 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
2. So if I understand this, you need the Tablo ($200), plus the lifetime subscription ($150), plus buy you own external HDD ($100), plus a Roku or similar device for every TV you want to connect ($50+)? Do you really save that much money over a TIVo Roamio OTA? Seems like the price would actually be about the same.
For me it was a tablo - $200, 1TB drive $50, lifetime $150, Sling offers a Roku 3 for $50, Roku 2 for $70 and my other TV's don't need them.

With the Tivo Roamio if you want to send that functionality to other TV's you need a $150 Tivo Mini per TV. If you want to watch it on a mobile device you again need another Tivo device i forget what its called, think its $99.

If I'm going to be watching live TV I use the direct feed from the antenna if I'm going to watch a recording then its the Tablo (quality still looks pretty good to me). You can choose 720p or higher recording rate if your network bandwith can handle it.

If you just have one TV then the Roamio is a good option, the Tablo is a whole house DVR whereas the Roamio is a traditional DVR unless you buy other devices.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #309 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
OK, finally read most of this thread (after seeing the header every day for a few months) and am more than ready to "cut the cord". Thanks to DrunkPenguin!

However, I am currently only halfway through a 2 year contract with DirecTV...that means I would have to pay ~$250 to cancel now.

But, the Tivo OTA (amazing all that little box can do!) is only $400 (with lifetime), so I believe I would still come out ahead after only ~6 months. I would have to get an OTA antenna, don't currently have one. How much does a good one cost?

Good plan or not?
Or you could just strip your DirecTV down to the minimum "family package", cut all your other non-essentials like protection plan, genie minis, etc., and just ride out the remainder of the contract. You end up paying more than the ETF, but at least you're getting some service for your money. And once you're out of contract who knows what freebies DirecTV will offer?

This also allows you to use the Genie for six more months and wait for TIVO to possibly run another discounted special for lifetime subscription.
Nayan likes this.
post #310 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
3. Tablo doesnt do DD5.1 sound.
Ugg really? Sounds like Tablo really is geared to the younger crowd that wants to watch everything on their ipad. No thanks.
post #311 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Ugg really? Sounds like Tablo really is geared to the younger crowd that wants to watch everything on their ipad. No thanks.
yep, no 5.1. its one of the first things and most requested and their spiel has been that there are other things that are priority. the consensus is that the hardware cant decode it and they dont want to pay for the license.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #312 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Or you could just strip your DirecTV down to the minimum "family package", cut all your other non-essentials like protection plan, genie minis, etc., and just ride out the remainder of the contract. You end up paying more than the ETF, but at least you're getting some service for your money. And once you're out of contract who knows what freebies DirecTV will offer?

This also allows you to use the Genie for six more months and wait for TIVO to possibly run another discounted special for lifetime subscription.
That is a very good idea...but, I already pretty much have the lowest tier package D* offers (Choice Extra Classic) and I have no other "extras" (well, except the Genie Mini in the bedroom which I would have to keep hooked up).

At this point, don't think I care what D* offers me. I think I'm done with cable/sat.
post #313 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 PM

Just earlier today, I was looking at the Tivo Roamio OTA ($49) + Lifetime service ($349)....now I can't find it anywhere on their site!

Am I looking in the wrong place?? It looks like Monthly Service is now the only option.

https://www.tivo.com/roamio-ota-tlp
post #314 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Yup, just chatted with CS and "the offer has ended".

Does that offer come around on a regular basis, or did I hesitate and miss out??
post #315 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Just earlier today, I was looking at the Tivo Roamio OTA ($49) + Lifetime service ($349)....now I can't find it anywhere on their site!
https://www.tivo.com/roamioota2176

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #316 of 628 Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 PM

post #317 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm considering dropping my internet service down to 15/1mbps. Will that still be enough for my Roku? Thanks.
post #318 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
I'm considering dropping my internet service down to 15/1mbps. Will that still be enough for my Roku? Thanks.
That depends on what else you have going on. If you have other streams (other Rokus, PCs streaming, etc.) going out to the web then the question would be how much of the 15 Mbps they are taking up. If the Roku will be the only thing accessing the web or the other things accessing the web doesn't take up much then yes, it will be enough.
post #319 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 AM

Yeah, the Roku is pretty much the only thing, except for normal web-surfing and the occasional download.
post #320 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
Yeah, the Roku is pretty much the only thing, except for normal web-surfing and the occasional download.
Most online streams should be well under 10Mbps, although HD content may be pushing it. The single Roku and typical web browsing should co-exist OK, but it would certainly have an impact on downloads, unless there's fairly small. Of course, larger downloads, even without the Roku streaming will still be slow with only a 15Mbps connection. Remember that advertised 15 will be closer to 12 real world. My 50 only tests out about 46Mbps.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #321 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
Get a real router that can show you real time bandwidth. People do not need anywhere close to what is being said in here. We have 2 TV's streaming as I type this and I am peaking at 12 megs right now.
post #322 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Quote:
Thank you Charles, you da man!
Roamio OTA ordered!

I'm very excited about this, but have one question: Is SlingTV "live stream" only? As in, you can't watch episodes on-demand (DVR style)? This is what I'm gathering from my limited research.

The wife & I watch a lot of Food Network.
post #323 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just checked (well I had my son check) and Food Network has many of it's shows On Demand through Sling, so you'll be good to go there.
Alan P likes this.

post #324 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Sweet, thanks! I couldn't find that on the SlingTV website.

Will the "on demand" SlingTV shows show up under the One Pass thingy on the Roamio OTA??

Trying to make this transition as smooth as possible for my Tivo addicted wife.
post #325 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That I don't know since my son only has a Roku. Hopefully someone will answer that for you soon .

post #326 of 628 Old 08-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Will the "on demand" SlingTV shows show up under the One Pass thingy on the Roamio OTA??

Trying to make this transition as smooth as possible for my Tivo addicted wife.
TiVo does not support sling.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #327 of 628 Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the responses re: bandwidth downgrade. I ended up going with 20/2. I've tested it on several bandwidth test sites yesterday and this morning and I'm getting about 24mbps download. Not bad. No problems with any Roku channels. Web pages are loading pretty much instantaneously in FF (Adblock helps with that, fer shure). I downgraded from 50/5, which was really overkill for my needs.

Last edited by hcour; 08-02-2015 at 03:22 AM.
post #328 of 628 Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
TiVo does not support sling.
Aack!! I see that now after doing more research. That is very disappointing.

So, do I need to get a Roku to use Sling's streaming & on-demand?
post #329 of 628 Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, you don't need to, but Roku seems to be the most stable when it comes to Sling over other options. Plus Roku has plenty of free options for movies, shows and music, if you're looking for things like that .
Alan P and dmarqueset like this.

post #330 of 628 Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM

I see that there are a few Food Network shows available via Hulu...but they look to be older shows only.

Anyone know if Hulu plans on adding more/newer shows??

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to pony up for a Roku.

Anyone know if my Chromebox+Kodi opens up any other options for me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page