How many cord cutters are in here? - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 189Likes

post #601 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
That is against FCC regulations. HOAs can't ban dishes or antenna's period.
Yes, they can. You can only place a dish or other antenna on a portion of the building that you have sole access to. This usually means a patio or deck. When it comes to the common areas, (and the roof is a common area) They can deny you permission to install. If your deck or patio doesn't face the correct direction for proper reception, you're out of luck.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 PM
FX4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have been a cord cutter since 2010 although I have been an on and off cable subscriber for as long as I can remember. Subscribe to cable for few years then get rid of it and put an antenna up. These days I do not anticipate going back to cable or satellite. I was up to 106.00 a month with DirecTV for their basic plus package (or whatever they call it) and HBO and decided it was just too much for what I was getting.

I put up an antenna and am currently receiving 51 channels OTA.
Sling TV at 30.00 a month.
HBO 15.00 a month
Hulu + Showtime 16.99 a month
Starz 8.99 a month
Amazon Prime 8.25 a month
Netflix 7.99 a month (although had this with satellite.)
Total 87.22 - still cheaper than DirecTV.

Internet 60.00 a month - have this with or without cable.

Local cable company package with HD, 4 cable boxes, and HBO only works out to right at 140.00 with cable so I am still ahead with all the premium channels.

Last edited by FX4; 01-26-2016 at 08:36 PM.
post #603 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 07:05 PM
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yes, they can. You can only place a dish or other antenna on a portion of the building that you have sole access to. This usually means a patio or deck. When it comes to the common areas, (and the roof is a common area) They can deny you permission to install. If your deck or patio doesn't face the correct direction for proper reception, you're out of luck.
But you can put it in the attic of your unit or mount it on a post to get to the required height to clear the building per fcc regulation. I didn't say there are no restrictions on installation but they can't stop you from installing one. Me being who I am if the HOA gave me those regs there would be a 16 ft post outside my condo until they accommodated me with more reasonable regulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But you can put it in the attic of your unit or mount it on a post to get to the required height to clear the building per fcc regulation. I didn't say there are no restrictions on installation but they can't stop you from installing one. Me being who I am if the HOA gave me those regs there would be a 16 ft post outside my condo until they accommodated me with more reasonable regulations.

Attic, certainly, if it's only accessible from your unit. In the condo my daughter bought, you couldn't access the attic from within her unit. Of course, a dish would likely not work very well in there.

As far as a mast mount, I believe they could successfully argue against one, as the length necessary to reach the necessary height would likely require guys for safety, and that would require attaching the guys beyond your personal space. I'm not saying I disagree with your thoughts, as I'm a ham radio operator and my CCAs prohibit me installing any antenna at all for that purpose. I would love to be able to erect just a simple HF vertical, and I know it is against what I agreed to when we bought the house, and they'd likely notice it sooner or later. Kind of hard to hide something sticking 25 feet in the air with little elements sticking out of it as it goes up!

Why did I move somewhere with these restrictions? It was a 10 minute commute to work, with good schools and an extremely nice neighborhood. Had to decide what was more important.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #605 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM
FX4

FCC specifically cites you can put up a mast to get to the required height.

Last edited by FX4; 12-19-2015 at 07:58 PM.
post #606 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FCC specifically cites you can out a mast up to get to the required height.
I had to go look up the latest version of the CFR. I agree that it states that a mast to support the permitted antenna is also considered permitted. But I think the lawyers would grab ahold of two sections to make a successful denial. First is that your antenna can only be installed on "...property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user...". That means the entire antenna system, including mount, cannot be placed on a common use area. There's no way you could put a 15-20 foot mast up without the guy wires requiring an anchor somewhere that would be considered "common use". And if you didn't guy the mast, they will come back with the section that allows them to restrict you based on a safety issue. Any mast of that length that isn't guyed could not support any sort of load during higher winds. Something freestanding that was capable of supporting the antenna would be far too large to be able to erect on your exclusive use area.

It's kind of a catch-22. Yes, the rule says you can do it, but there's no realistic way to accomplish it safely. I don't think I'd trust any sort of antenna on an un-guyed mast higher than about 8 feet, and that's only if the typical winds in the area aren't too high. If I was in Oklahoma, or other places that see constant winds, I doubt I'd be comfortable going much more than 3-4 feet above the tripod base. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I've seen some pretty badly damaged antenna installations that weren't all that high.

Dan
post #607 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 PM
FX4

Yeah I get your point.
post #608 of 628 Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I get your point.

I wish it were otherwise

But still, I think an awful number of people, including HOAs, don't understand what is permitted. I've heard of a number of HOAs that still think they can deny any sort of antenna except a dish. I have a very large yagi TV antenna hanging inside my garage simply bee I don't feel like fighting with them. I also might get hammered by its size, because it's certainly larger than I need for the closest transmitters. But even inside the garage, I can get a station that is almost in Canada. Right at 100 miles. It's right at the edge, and some days the signal isn't enough, but still I like it because it offers choices the Seattle stations don't have.

Dan
post #609 of 628 Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Correct, this is their loophole, arguing that items mounted to the roof (now including dishes), degrade the integrity of the structure.

Quote:
I always had used an attic antenna for my upstairs, though they (the association) provided & maintained an outdoor antenna per group of units that was roof mounted. Now there is a general belief that OTA no longer exists, along with a certain board member(s) being employed of having family members employed by Crime Warner. Now I have a Bylaws book that is the size of a phone book written in Legalese that I'm looking for a passage that they "shall" provide unit owner with said antenna access..... if fact it was on my buyers agreement with the former owner that the antenna wiring was connecteted to the antenna, functioning in the living room & not molested by the current or former cable company(s).
post #610 of 628 Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Attic, certainly, if it's only accessible from your unit. In the condo my daughter bought, you couldn't access the attic from within her unit. Of course, a dish would likely not work very well in there.

As far as a mast mount, I believe they could successfully argue against one, as the length necessary to reach the necessary height would likely require guys for safety, and that would require attaching the guys beyond your personal space. I'm not saying I disagree with your thoughts, as I'm a ham radio operator and my CCAs prohibit me installing any antenna at all for that purpose. I would love to be able to erect just a simple HF vertical, and I know it is against what I agreed to when we bought the house, and they'd likely notice it sooner or later. Kind of hard to hide something sticking 25 feet in the air with little elements sticking out of it as it goes up!

Why did I move somewhere with these restrictions? It was a 10 minute commute to work, with good schools and an extremely nice neighborhood. Had to decide what was more important.
Yes, the "safety" factor would prevent me from mast mounting in a patio, being a Ham myself I would have liked to mount a verticle stick on the exterior too, but against the agreement, of course they have gone against the original agreement by removing access to the common antenna, I had "agreed" to pay a bit extra in association fees & eat the increases in this development, as I still didn't need to have a $70+/month cable bill like my neighbors do, that in addition to them closing off the development pool for several years.
post #611 of 628 Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Argh. This is the one time of year I miss cable - bowl season. Just checked my Tivo OTA schedule for Thurs & Fri, there's one game on New Year's Day and that's it. One friggin' game. The cable sports channels have completely taken over bowl season from the networks.
GreySkies likes this.
post #612 of 628 Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
Argh. This is the one time of year I miss cable - bowl season. Just checked my Tivo OTA schedule for Thurs & Fri, there's one game on New Year's Day and that's it. One friggin' game. The cable sports channels have completely taken over bowl season from the networks.
Have you considered getting Sling TV? All kinds of ESPN channels.
post #613 of 628 Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I tried Sling TV for the free month when I first got my Roku several months ago. It's a good deal and PQ was good. The only channels that really interested me were CNN and the ESPN channels. I tried watching some games on ESPN but I just couldn't deal with the commercials. They're especially bad with football - score, commercial, timeout, commercial, punt, commercial, kickoff, commercial, injury, commercial, quarter ends, commercial, two-minute warning, commercial. I haven't had to sit thru commercials, literally, for years, so I'm pretty much spoiled at this point. It's ruins the experience for me. So, since ESPN was no longer of interest I couldn't justify $21 a month just for CNN, even though I really like live 24-hour news.

I don't know though, I may end up getting it just for the bowls and endure the commercials.

Life is so hard.
jazzycat likes this.
post #614 of 628 Old 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM
FX4

1st world problems
heavyharmonies and jazzycat like this.
post #615 of 628 Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
cutting the tv cable isn't a perfect world. But getting used to it as I did wasn't as bad as expected. I have a omni antenna in my attic that gets all the networks so watching pro sports is ok for the most part. I have the Roku stick. And with a new Nvidia Geforce 920 graphics card I can also Stream. I now pay 50.00 dollars a month for internet. Before with family package cable [ No HBO, Starz ect.. ]
and internet was costing me 169.00 a month. So yes I'm a happy camper!
jazzycat likes this.
post #616 of 628 Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gee I remember when New Years weekend was just wall to wall football, (I'd rather watch paint dry), kind of refreshing now on OTA, got to watch the A-Team Marathon on Cozi! .... football was a little much on that weekend.

True, Cable managed to snatch up my Indians & Cavs games & as for the Browns, my CBS affiliate is now "Low Power" so no longer get those games as if I cared.

I guess I think differently, I just lost interest when cable came in took the spots venues, instead of feeding the monster like most others.

Quote:
Have you considered getting Sling TV? All kinds of ESPN channels.
Isn't that just another form of cable with a monthly fee?
jazzycat likes this.
post #617 of 628 Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM
FX4

Not really, A. It is a whole lot cheaper. B. It's month to month so no contractual commitment. Who do you suppose produces the content you desire? It is the cable channel operators. They do need to get paid for delivering you your entertainment.
post #618 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Just cut the cord a few days ago. My stripped-down DirecTV subscription was costing me $90 a month, plus I'm paying $65 a month to Comcast for Internet access.

Replaced DirecTV with SlingTV + Sports add-on for $25/mo.

Already had Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway, so that's not a cost increase.

The Comcast package I have includes a base cable package with HBO, but I've never even installed the equipment, since it is SD-only and I didn't want to pay their dumb upcharges for HD and box rental fees. The only reason for getting it is that for some dumb reason, Internet + basic cable is cheaper than Internet alone.

The one plus it has though is that I can access on-demand content from ABC, NBC, Fox, and HBO through Roku apps since I can verify as a cable customer. That alone is worth getting the basic package even if it is never actually used hooked up to a TV.

CBS, being the dooshes they are, give nothing for free, even if you are a subscriber through cable or satellite. They want $5.99/month regardless. Am considering either that or Hulu though, just to be able to get recent CBS show episodes (CBS is the network whose shows I watch the most).

Hooked up an indoor amplified OTA antenna, and while the PQ is stuperb, I apparently am in a location or the house is constructed such that I can not pick up all the channels. ABC and FOX come in perfectly, CBS marginally with constant dropouts, and NBC, PBS, and CW not at all. Scanning with my Sony 65X900B doesn't even find them, although I know they can be received here; I had an external pole antenna years ago before I redid my roof and had it taken down.

CBS Access and/or Hulu will solve not being able to view shows, but it's CBS live sports that are the issue...

Still, as of the moment I am saving $50+ a month.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #619 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You probably just need a better OTA antenna. I have a large yagi hanging inside my garage , but only because my garage has a 12 foot ceiling. Depending on the transmitter locations, you might need an omni-directional antenna. Some of them work pretty well.

Dan
post #620 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
You probably just need a better OTA antenna. I have a large yagi hanging inside my garage , but only because my garage has a 12 foot ceiling. Depending on the transmitter locations, you might need an omni-directional antenna. Some of them work pretty well.
The one I'm currently using is the ANT1150F:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Ultra-Thin.../dp/B00KWFOLH6

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #621 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
The one I'm currently using is the ANT1150F:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Ultra-Thin.../dp/B00KWFOLH6
Yeah, those are OK with reasonable signal strength, but they don't do well with lower level. We tried one of those at my son-in-law's house, and could only get about 1/2 of the local stations. We put one of these up (https://www.radioshack.com/collectio...ant=5716993797) and vastly improved reception. They call this indoor/outdoor, but you'd be better off hanging it outside. It's rather unobtrusive, so it shouldn't be an issue with anyone about its appearance. But of course that's if you're not in an apartment or condo, since the FCC rules only allow you to install an outdoor antenna on property under your control.

Dan
post #622 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Hey guys I'm the NYC area, and I'm looking for inexpensive internet only service provider. I have TimeWarner triple play service, but the way I have it working has left part of my apartment with a weak signal which is driving Nutos! TW only allows one wifi per house hold, and that signal is being use in the bedroom for my wife work, leaving my entertainment world in the dark ages.

Thanks

Djoel
post #623 of 628 Old 01-10-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Hey guys I'm the NYC area, and I'm looking for inexpensive internet only service provider. I have TimeWarner triple play service, but the way I have it working has left part of my apartment with a weak signal which is driving Nutos! TW only allows one wifi per house hold, and that signal is being use in the bedroom for my wife work, leaving my entertainment world in the dark ages.

Thanks

Djoel
What they allow and what you can actually do may differ. It might be possible to set up a Wi-Fi bridge to improve your options. Or, assuming the TW box has Ethernet jacks you could add a second Wi-Fi access point from another location. It wouldn't have to be too far away from the current box, and you might be able to position it higher for better signal across the apartment. Most routers that are available today can be configured as a Wireless Access Point, and some can also be a bridge. However, I recommend that someone with some networking experience provide assistance, unless you yourself have that experience. It can be a little tricky getting the IP addressing correct.
Djoel likes this.

Dan
post #624 of 628 Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
What they allow and what you can actually do may differ. It might be possible to set up a Wi-Fi bridge to improve your options. Or, assuming the TW box has Ethernet jacks you could add a second Wi-Fi access point from another location. It wouldn't have to be too far away from the current box, and you might be able to position it higher for better signal across the apartment. Most routers that are available today can be configured as a Wireless Access Point, and some can also be a bridge. However, I recommend that someone with some networking experience provide assistance, unless you yourself have that experience. It can be a little tricky getting the IP addressing correct.

Thanks, I thought of the a wifi bridge type extender thingy such as this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._1&s=pc&sr=1-1, but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to doing what they're suppose to do! I don't want to be on the phone with the manufacture support department some where in Bangladesh.
The thing is there's a modem right next to my rack system, and I was going hard wire all my device with switcher, and found out there's no internet signal out that box like there use to be TW stopped.

I have to really look on what you're suggesting, at this point I'm not understanding what you're proposing, but it's another option and I like options.

Can you explain a bit more on how to go about doing so.

Thanks

Djoel
post #625 of 628 Old 01-11-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Thanks, I thought of the a wifi bridge type extender thingy such as this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._1&s=pc&sr=1-1, but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to doing what they're suppose to do! I don't want to be on the phone with the manufacture support department some where in Bangladesh.
The thing is there's a modem right next to my rack system, and I was going hard wire all my device with switcher, and found out there's no internet signal out that box like there use to be TW stopped.

I have to really look on what you're suggesting, at this point I'm not understanding what you're proposing, but it's another option and I like options.

Can you explain a bit more on how to go about doing so.

Thanks

Djoel
I was thinking more along the lines of this: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA8...ds=wifi+bridge

With the multiple antennas and the ability to move it around the room, you can probably get a better signal than the built-in Wi-Fi in your TV. You connect an Ethernet cable to this and your TV. The repeater needs to be assigned an IP address in the same range that your network uses (most likely something in the 192.168.x.x range), but not an address that your router would assign to another device. This is where the networking knowledge is needed. Also, you have to temporarily connect it to a computer so you can configure it to connect to your existing Wi-Fi. It's not plug-and-play, so it takes a little effort.

I know nothing about your existing router, so I can't offer any help configuring it. If TW disabled your router ports, I'd be complaining strongly to them. Unless your agreement with them limits you to a single device (which is stupid), there's no reason for that.
Djoel likes this.

Dan
post #626 of 628 Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Anyone able to get CNNi these days? I can't get it on Channel Pear anymore.
post #627 of 628 Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 PM
FX4

No they locked that channel down. Too bad I actually like CNNi, I'm kind of meh on CNN.
post #628 of 628 Old 01-26-2016, 11:28 PM

Yeah, that kinda sucks. So apparently the only decent free 24/7 news is CBSN.
FX4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page