Streaming service audio quality - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Haywood Jablomi

post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Streaming service audio quality

Hi All,

I am under no illusion that streaming will match blu-ray audio, but I have recently ran into a quandary: Do I watch a movie I own on DVD or do I watch the netflix stream of it?

In this case, the movie is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. PQ-wise, the film is never going to look super sharp so I dont' care about that. I just don't know which will provide the best sound output to my speakers and subwoofer.

Does anyone know how Netflix, Amazon Prime and VUDU compare to DVDs? Is it a case of DTS on DVD > Netflix or what?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Streamed 1080p is identical to DVD on the audio side and vastly superior in almost every respect on the video side.
mailiang likes this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Hi All,

I am under no illusion that streaming will match blu-ray audio, but I have recently ran into a quandary: Do I watch a movie I own on DVD or do I watch the netflix stream of it?

In this case, the movie is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. PQ-wise, the film is never going to look super sharp so I dont' care about that. I just don't know which will provide the best sound output to my speakers and subwoofer.

Does anyone know how Netflix, Amazon Prime and VUDU compare to DVDs? Is it a case of DTS on DVD > Netflix or what?

Thank you
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is not really a good example of a movie to stream for picture or sound.

First off as you say the PQ is soft looking but that was intended since everything is shot in front of green screens and helped to mask the CGI.

This movie is streaming for free on Netflix while the HD versions on Amazon and VUDU are charging $4 to rent. But no matter which version you watch it will be in stereo not the original 5.1 mix seen on the DVD.

Other movies will fare much better.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I should have mentioned that the sound is USUALLY the same as DVD. There are a few movies that are not in DD on the streaming services.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you, both. Although it's no longer on Netflix, I was curious if the stream of Titan AE would be better than the DVD with DTS. As far as I know, the film was never re-done and released on Blu-Ray, so I assume that whatever Netflix streamed for video would be equal to the DVD. As far as the DTS audio track.. I don't know =)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Thank you, both. Although it's no longer on Netflix, I was curious if the stream of Titan AE would be better than the DVD with DTS. As far as I know, the film was never re-done and released on Blu-Ray, so I assume that whatever Netflix streamed for video would be equal to the DVD. As far as the DTS audio track.. I don't know =)
As you said Titan A.E. is not streaming on Netflix at the moment but it can be purchased on VUDU - however even though the best quality version is HDX they state the sound is Dolby Digital stereo. Not uncommon for older catalog titles. Your chances of getting DD+ sound is always higher for newer releases. Amazon Prime or Instant Video usually does not state the sound format for titles on their website, sometimes they are DD+, sometimes not.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page