AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Nvida Shield Andriod tv (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2015081-nvida-shield-andriod-tv.html)

bluewhale1 05-28-2015 02:36 PM

Nvida Shield Andriod tv
 
anandtech has a review up for those interested


http://anandtech.com/show/9289/the-n...roid-tv-review

robnix 05-28-2015 05:48 PM

No HD Audio, MPEG-2 isn't working... Doesn't look good for either Kodi or HDHomerun View.

bluewhale1 05-29-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 34579929)
No HD Audio, MPEG-2 isn't working... Doesn't look good for either Kodi or HDHomerun View.

Unless something changes might as well use a Nuc or Chromebox for a HTPC. Lots of disappointment this year.

Brajesh 05-29-2015 08:18 AM

May still end up becoming a good box for Kodi. 24/auto framerate support is in the works, and HD audio could also be added (as 8-channel PCM, or native DTS-MA/TrueHD). Follow discussion here. But, yes, for right now, it's lacking.

pittsoccer33 05-29-2015 08:51 AM

Brajesh, do you know anything about Kodi, Plex, or anyone else implementing libdcadec, the new open source DTS-MA decoder that is now part of ffmpeg?

iatacs19 05-29-2015 09:01 AM

Do you still need a license to bitstream HD audio to a receiver? I was a bit confused by this while reading the review...

pittsoccer33 05-29-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iatacs19 (Post 34594137)
Do you still need a license to bitstream HD audio to a receiver? I was a bit confused by this while reading the review...

I think that's a grey area, and why so many devices from big manufacturers can't/won't do it.

Open source software skirts the issue, as do many fly by night unlicensed media players.

jmystikcfl 05-29-2015 10:50 AM

I am going to order one of these boxes, but I'm a little torn on which one. I do plan on doing some gaming on it and possibly using Nvidia's Grid service. Having a hard time justifying paying 150% of the base price for nothing more than storage and a game that doesn't really interest me all that much. All media will be streamed to it and I will be using a wired GB connection. What are the pluses of having the additional onboard storage?

iatacs19 05-29-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmystikcfl (Post 34597289)
I am going to order one of these boxes, but I'm a little torn on which one. I do plan on doing some gaming on it and possibly using Nvidia's Grid service. Having a hard time justifying paying 150% of the base price for nothing more than storage and a game that doesn't really interest me all that much. All media will be streamed to it and I will be using a wired GB connection. What are the pluses of having the additional onboard storage?

It does support external storage via MicroSD, so you may not need the 500GB version.

cstmstyle 05-29-2015 04:35 PM

I just got the Nvidia Shield this afternoon. I installed Kodi on it and so far works fine, yes no HD audio but other then that this is perfect as a replacement to my Boxee Box that was on it's last legs. Extremely happy with this purchase.

robnix 05-29-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstmstyle (Post 34607937)
I just got the Nvidia Shield this afternoon. I installed Kodi on it and so far works fine, yes no HD audio but other then that this is perfect as a replacement to my Boxee Box that was on it's last legs. Extremely happy with this purchase.

Playing what kind of files? Be specific, it helps everyone. Use Mediainfo to get file details if you need to.

Kris404 05-29-2015 04:59 PM

HDHomeRun View app works just fine, including protected channels (HBO) but only Stereo audio.

'Live Channels' does not work, blank video but audio works.

cstmstyle 05-29-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 34608161)
Playing what kind of files? Be specific, it helps everyone. Use Mediainfo to get file details if you need to.

Downloaded MKV TV shows and tried a few MKV Blue-ray rips I have. They played fine. I can't test surround sound as this is a bedroom setup and its just plugged into my TV. If you want more info there is a thread in the Kodi forums with discussions from the Kodi Developers.

robnix 05-29-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstmstyle (Post 34608457)
Downloaded MKV TV shows and tried a few MKV Blue-ray rips I have. They played fine. I can't test surround sound as this is a bedroom setup and its just plugged into my TV. If you want more info there is a thread in the Kodi forums with discussions from the Kodi Developers.

Are they full blueray rips that you did or crap from the internet?

cstmstyle 05-29-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 34608713)
Are they full blueray rips that you did or crap from the internet?

Both

Used MakeMKV for my Blu-ray rips but also have a few MKV's that I downloaded

lockdown571 05-30-2015 09:21 AM

Mine is arriving next week! Will test my makemkv blu-ray rips. Supposedly VC-1 and mpeg2 files (progressive, not sure about interlaced) play fine with software decoding in Kodi. Don't care much about HD audio because I only have 2.1 audio. My major concern is 3:2 pulldown performance, which I'm very sensitive to. We shall see!

Wendell R. Breland 05-30-2015 02:22 PM

Found this comment to be interesting:

Quote:

The NVIDIA SHIELD is currently the only Netflix 4K-certified set-top box in the market. This certification involves two important requirements:
One would think they would be aware of the Sony FMP-X10 that can stream Netflix in UHD.

Ph8te 05-31-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland (Post 34626481)
Found this comment to be interesting:



One would think they would be aware of the Sony FMP-X10 that can stream Netflix in UHD.


While it can play the 4k Netflix, it isn't "Netflix certified 4k". It's all in the wording of the statement ;)


Sent from nowhere

Brajesh 06-01-2015 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 (Post 34593825)
Brajesh, do you know anything about Kodi, Plex, or anyone else implementing libdcadec, the new open source DTS-MA decoder that is now part of ffmpeg?

No, but hopefully it means Kodi devs can implement HD audio via software in Shield. A nVidia rep also posted in their forum that they're considering h/w supporting it.

elcubano1 06-01-2015 10:40 AM

Can any owner of the shield verify in the HDMI settings if you choose YUV or RGB output?

Kris404 06-01-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcubano1 (Post 34669585)
Can any owner of the shield verify in the HDMI settings if you choose YUV or RGB output?

Using RGB 16-235 on my Kuro.

YUV doesn't work as the Shield cannot output YCbCr. You get washed out blacks with 'Full RGB'.

staknhalo 06-01-2015 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They mentioned on the Nvidia forums they're adding 0-255 in a future update.

hodges69 07-28-2015 04:41 PM

So no DD 5.1 available in Kodi,right? Any hope for an update to correct this?

drhill 07-28-2015 06:54 PM

It does pass through DD and DTS (as well as software decode). Decodes TrueHD. Handles LPCM (I've only tried 5.1). Nvidia has said (on Amazon review responses) they will handle HD audio pass through in the future. Also in the future DTS-HD* should be able to be decoded in software by Kodi whenever libdcadec/newer ffmpeg is merged.

Hopefully they give us a codec pack purchase option to be able to decode all of those (and VC-1) in hardware, but ultimately audio will handle itself.

It's currently missing 23.976hz and 59.94hz support, but does do 24.00hz. Nvidia said they would look into it.

SilverBlade 07-28-2015 07:30 PM

Right now, The shield isn't a good media center just for the sole fact that it can't do bitstreaming of HD audio streams, AND can't do VC-1.

As my current Dune Base 3 can do these things (and I got it in 2010)..it seems rather petty that something coming out in 2015 can't to all the things that the Dune Base 3 can do right at the start. It's disappointing.

I'm waiting for Nvidia to get off their butts and implement HD audio passthrough and VC-1 capability. THEN it would be a capable box. But without HD audio..you may as well stick with DVD's. It's either go all the way or don't go at all (for me)

mariob33 07-28-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade (Post 36109354)
Right now, The shield isn't a good media center just for the sole fact that it can't do bitstreaming of HD audio streams, AND can't do VC-1.

As my current Dune Base 3 can do these things (and I got it in 2010)..it seems rather petty that something coming out in 2015 can't to all the things that the Dune Base 3 can do right at the start. It's disappointing.

I'm waiting for Nvidia to get off their butts and implement HD audio passthrough and VC-1 capability. THEN it would be a capable box. But without HD audio..you may as well stick with DVD's. It's either go all the way or don't go at all (for me)

i think i agree..just bought one and could be returning it until a more robust offerring exists,

Ph8te 07-28-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade (Post 36109354)
Right now, The shield isn't a good media center just for the sole fact that it can't do bitstreaming of HD audio streams, AND can't do VC-1.



As my current Dune Base 3 can do these things (and I got it in 2010)..it seems rather petty that something coming out in 2015 can't to all the things that the Dune Base 3 can do right at the start. It's disappointing.



I'm waiting for Nvidia to get off their butts and implement HD audio passthrough and VC-1 capability. THEN it would be a capable box. But without HD audio..you may as well stick with DVD's. It's either go all the way or don't go at all (for me)


We often see these types of comments with "new" devices. Remember some of the issues it (The Shield) has are related to limitations of the current OS. You can't really compare the two as the dune basically has one function and has limitations regarding other things. I'm watching the shield closely, but without HD audio capabilities it's not worth it at this point.


Sent from nowhere

hodges69 07-28-2015 08:54 PM

Thanks guys for all the responses and giving me hope...I bought the Shield on faith that the audio issues will be addressed...still have a 3
Week window of return though.....just sayin

hodges69 07-28-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhill (Post 36108642)
It does pass through DD and DTS (as well as software decode). Decodes TrueHD. Handles LPCM (I've only tried 5.1). Nvidia has said (on Amazon review responses) they will handle HD audio pass through in the future. Also in the future DTS-HD* should be able to be decoded in software by Kodi whenever libdcadec/newer ffmpeg is merged.

Hopefully they give us a codec pack purchase option to be able to decode all of those (and VC-1) in hardware, but ultimately audio will handle itself.

It's currently missing 23.976hz and 59.94hz support, but does do 24.00hz. Nvidia said they would look into it.


Perhaps the shield does not like my Denon ....after setting speakers (In Kodi audio settings) to 5.1 and allowing pass thru ..all I get is
A multi channel readout from my Denon 2311...Am I missing something here?

drhill 07-29-2015 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodges69 (Post 36111466)
Perhaps the shield does not like my Denon ....after setting speakers (In Kodi audio settings) to 5.1 and allowing pass thru ..all I get is
A multi channel readout from my Denon 2311...Am I missing something here?

Seems rightish. My Denon x2100w works fine for AC-3 and DTS passthrough.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.