Showtime Goes Over-the-Top With New Streaming Service - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
How is it that Kodi/xbmc doesn't have the industry screaming bloody blue murder yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Huh? Who gives around their password freely? Either way HBO and Showtime is still cheaper than cable. Paying for channels you don't use, and taxes and other made up charges, is nonsense.

Though i do like those smaller channels HDnet and MGMHD.
I know of one person, with a large family who gave it to everyone, and his buddies, who just gave it away.
post #33 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve View Post
How is it that Kodi/xbmc doesn't have the industry screaming bloody blue murder yet?
For doing what exactly?

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The Showtime app will offer a 30-day free trial, and the price of keeping the subscription is $11/month, undercutting HBO Now's $15/month price.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
The amount of content that Showtime offers and the breadth and quality of their original shows when compared to HBO is not even close.

On FiOS, showtime is $10/mo and includes 4 other movie channels.
Plus you can't access all the old shows on the showtime go app you get access to as a subscriber. Yes HBO is $15/mo with Cinemax, but the HBO Go app lets me access the entire series of all of their old shows which I can't get with on-demand.

Undercutting is not how I would describe it. $11/mo is overcharging, and should be closer to $7-$9/mo.

post #35 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
The amount of content that Showtime offers and the breadth and quality of their original shows when compared to HBO is not even close.

On FiOS, showtime is $10/mo and includes 4 other movie channels.
Plus you can't access all the old shows on the showtime go app you get access to as a subscriber. Yes HBO is $15/mo with Cinemax, but the HBO Go app lets me access the entire series of all of their old shows which I can't get with on-demand.

Undercutting is not how I would describe it. $11/mo is overcharging, and should be closer to $7-$9/mo.
I completely disagree. On Showtime I watch Ray Donovan, Homeland, The Affair, Episodes, Masters of Sex, Shameless and Nurse Jackie. There's nothing about those shows -- writing, acting, production values -- that isn't top-tier. On HBO, I watch only Silicon Valley, Girls and Togetherness. (I've meant to try True Detective but never got around to it.) Granted, HBO has a bigger back catalog of originals but Showtime has some quality shows in theirs too, such as Dexter, Weeds, The Big C, Brotherhood, etc. Pretty much all of Showtime's older shows are in fact available for streaming on the Showtime Anytime app and will be available in their upcoming OTT service. (There's no such thing as "Showtime Go".) HBO has a bigger and better catalog of movies, I'll agree, but they spend more on those contracts with major Hollywood studios and, in turn, pass that cost along to subscribers. HBO tends to charge a little more than any other premium channel on average (costs vary among providers).
post #36 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

We are not really cord cutting, we still need the 'cord' for our broadband service which is the same company that supplies packaged TV. If enough people stop getting their TV service through their broadband company, the broadband companies (AKA Cable TV companies for most of us) will just raise the cost of our broadband service to compensate for lost revenue.

So, please stop using the term 'cutting the cord', you are using that same cord to access your new streaming service, you just no longer have TV access through it! If you did cut that cord you would no longer have internet!

Later,

Tony

post #37 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
We are not really cord cutting, we still need the 'cord' for our broadband service which is the same company that supplies packaged TV. If enough people stop getting their TV service through their broadband company, the broadband companies (AKA Cable TV companies for most of us) will just raise the cost of our broadband service to compensate for lost revenue.

So, please stop using the term 'cutting the cord', you are using that same cord to access your new streaming service, you just no longer have TV access through it! If you did cut that cord you would no longer have internet
You get it.
Cable companies don't create or own the content, they own and control the pipes the data is transmitted over. They are the delivery service and charge for the delivery. They don't really care what kind of data they deliver. They will just adjust their business model for whatever freight they carry and keep making the same money. Bandwidth caps are the prelude to tiered data plans -- the power companies charge you a transmission cost (delivery fee) for every kWh of electricity or CCF of gas they deliver to your house.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #38 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9164 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You get it.
Cable companies don't create or own the content, they own and control the pipes the data is transmitted over. They are the delivery service and charge for the delivery. They don't really care what kind of data they deliver. They will just adjust their business model for whatever freight they carry and keep making the same money. Bandwidth caps are the prelude to tiered data plans -- the power companies charge you a transmission cost (delivery fee) for every kWh of electricity or CCF of gas they deliver to your house.
I predict that we'll see Internet service plans that include capped standard data (hanging out in forums and such), but uncapped streaming of subscription-based video services.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #39 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
I predict that we'll see Internet service plans that include capped standard data (hanging out in forums and such), but uncapped streaming of subscription-based video services.
Why bother capping "standard" data given that, when you exclude subscription-based video services, most people wouldn't even come close to hitting their cap (unless that cap is ridiculously low)?

What steps does a content provider need to go thru to officially be recognized as one of the services excluded from your data usage cap? Afaik, the only current examples of ISP's excluding specific content services from data caps involve certain mobile providers who have their own music streaming services. In this case, there is clear incentive for the ISP to make this exception as it could steer customers toward their content. The only way I see ISP's making this same exception for other content providers is if the content providers pay the ISP's for the privilege. Netflix negotiating with Comcast in order to improve last mile service is one thing. What you are suggesting goes completely against the idea of Net Neutrality, IMO.
Kelson likes this.
post #40 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

So, please stop using the term 'cutting the cord', you are using that same cord to access your new streaming service, you just no longer have TV access through it! If you did cut that cord you would no longer have internet!

Later,

Tony
Tony you talk like a captured enemy prisoner...or a slave.You don't have to stay with your current ISP (probably Concrap)...you can change ISP's anytime you want to...remember,YOU don't NEED them...THEY NEED YOU!!...w/o YOU..."THEY"are dead in the water,NOT YOU...and good riddance to them.The cable/sat cabal has been ripping people off for years and it just keeps getting worse with constant price increases,lousy to non existent CS,plus added fees for almost any equipment they supply.The cable/sat cabal has brought the cord cutting movement upon themselves,mainly because of their constant gouging of the tv viewing public.And let's not forget about all the crap channels we're Forced to pay for though we never watch them.Heck,when i had Dish i was paying ~$100.00 mo.just to watch maybe 6-7 of them,most of the rest are mainly on welfare...couldn't exist any other way,and us cord cutters are tired of paying for channels we don't watch as well as the high sub.and equipment rental fees.
If the cable/sat cabal start raising their prices due to us cord cutter/cord never's,then so be it,drop concrap..don't cry about it and continue to pay pay pay as though there's nothing you can do about it.YOU/WE the tv viewing public have the power to say what happens if only we would realize it and exercise that power as we the cord cutters/cord never's are exercising that power,by choosing who we'll give our money too.Don't let "them",the cable/sat cabal,dictate how you/we will watch tv,we collectively have the power to say how we'll watch tv,Not them,and the fear of losing revenue the cable/sat cabal has because of us cord cutter's/cord never's proves the point.They know we have the power,but they don't want us to realize it.

I cut the cord almost 3 years ago...have a non-cableco.ISP that isn't expensive,and has no data caps.I don't give a damn about the threat of rising prices for any of you cable/sat subscribers...if you're dumb enough to stay with them then pay pay pay...and cry cry cry.
The choice is yours...and mine.

Last edited by greaser; 06-08-2015 at 09:45 AM.
post #41 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9164 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Why bother capping "standard" data given that, when you exclude subscription-based video services, most people wouldn't even come close to hitting their cap (unless that cap is ridiculously low)?

What steps does a content provider need to go thru to officially be recognized as one of the services excluded from your data usage cap? Afaik, the only current examples of ISP's excluding specific content services from data caps involve certain mobile providers who have their own music streaming services. In this case, there is clear incentive for the ISP to make this exception as it could steer customers toward their content. The only way I see ISP's making this same exception for other content providers is if the content providers pay the ISP's for the privilege. Netflix negotiating with Comcast in order to improve last mile service is one thing. What you are suggesting goes completely against the idea of Net Neutrality, IMO.
How is that the case? Broadband plans already come in all shapes and sizes. I'm only discussing data caps, not network throughput. Anyhow, it was just a prediction, and not a suggestion. I'd prefer to see multi-gigabit uncapped data made available to everybody.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #42 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
How is that the case? Broadband plans already come in all shapes and sizes. I'm only discussing data caps, not network throughput. Anyhow, it was just a prediction, and not a suggestion. I'd prefer to see multi-gigabit uncapped data made available to everybody.
As I was attempting to illustrate with my questions, the problems start to arise the moment you realize that somebody has to define what constitutes a paid video streaming service. If the content providers had the power to define their status as a "paid video streaming" service then every web site would could argue that they meet the requirements simply by posting an occasional video and claiming that they offer a free subscription service, even if 99% of the traffic on the site is what you would call "standard" data. That would make the cap on "standard" data completely pointless and the ISP's wouldn't make any additional money (which is the whole purpose of data caps). So, obviously, it isn't the content providers who have the authority to determine whether or not their traffic should qualify for an exemption from data usage caps/overage charges. Obviously, the ISP's are the ones with that power. So, how do the ISP's decide which content providers to exclude from their data usage caps/overage charges? The most likely answer is those who are paying for that privilege.

This has essentially the same effect as selective throttling of those who have not paid the toll. It gives a clear advantage to those content providers who can afford to pay for the privilege and hinders those who cannot.
post #43 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Tony you talk like a captured enemy prisoner...or a slave...you don't have to stay with your current ISP (probably Concrap)...you can change ISP's anytime you want to...remember,YOU don't NEED them...THEY NEED YOU!!...w/o YOU...THEY are dead in the water,NOT YOU...and good riddance to them.The cable/sat cabal has been ripping people off for years and it just keeps getting worse with constant price increases,lousy to non existent CS,plus added fees for almost any equipment they supply.The cable/sat cabal has brought the cord cutting movement upon themselves,mainly because of their constant gouging of the tv viewing public.
If Concrap and other cablecos.start raising their prices due to us cord cutter/cord never's,then so be it,drop concrap..don't cry about it and continue to pay pay pay as though there's nothing you can do about it.YOU/WE the tv viewing public have the power to say what happens if only we would realize it and exercise that power as we the cord cutters/cord never's are exercising that power,by choosing who we'll give our money too.Don't let "them",the cable/sat cabal,dictate how you/we will watch tv,we collectively have the power to say how we'll watch tv,Not them.

I cut the cord almost 3 years ago...have a non-cableco.ISP that isn't expensive,and has no data caps.I don't give a damn about the threat of rising prices for any of you cable/sat subscribers...if you're dumb enough to stay with them then pay pay pay...and cry cry cry.
Hello Greaser,

Hope you are well.

I have Cox cable and I love them, but I do not have cable TV through them, only digital telephone and internet. Recently COX doubled the speed of everyones plan without raising prices. I was on a 25Mbit plan, and now I have 50Mbit without any extra cost. I get my TV over the air, and don't watch much of it nowadays. I watch a lot of movies in my home theater with blu ray discs. I can't stand the poor quality of streaming, even with 50Mbit internet the compression is terrible especially on a 12 foot wide projection screen. My kids don't mind the streaming on their tablets, it does not look too bad on a small screen. We have Amazon Prime for them, and they enjoy that.

I am not beholden or a slave to any company, I have a choice in my area of Verizon FIOS or COX cable for a broadband ISP. COX customer service is the best with actual physical locations for me to do business. Verizon is like a ghost company without a physical store to go into. I am probably lucky to have 2 choices in my area for broadband access, many people probably only have one broadband provider in their area, unless they go with satellite internet, or just go mobile data only.

Your rant about Comcast is interesting, however I need fast internet for my work. We have limited choices for fast internet in most areas, unless Cities start setting up broadband as a municipal utility we have to choose from what is available. Verizon customer service is absolutely terrible, we tried them once...never again. They kept trying to charge us for service that we had cancelled for 6 months, finally had to get a lawyer to handle them. You should not have to get a lawyer to handle something as simple as cancelling a service. As I said, we love COX and they treat us well, therefore they gain our business.

May I ask what non cable company broadband ISP you have available in your area? Do you have Google fibre? Or something else? Or are you using a non broadband dial-up ISP? DSL through a phone company?

Later,

Tony

post #44 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Why bother capping "standard" data given that, when you exclude subscription-based video services, . . .

. . . . The only way I see ISP's making this same exception for other content providers is if the content providers pay the ISP's for the privilege.
+1
I was about to respond in the same way when I read your post.

That or if the ISP started to offer its subscribers bundles of subscription services you could sign up for through them, at a discount compared to individual a'la carte subscriptions -- sound familiar?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 06-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #45 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
I don't subscribe to cable. TV is something I have little interest in-- If I have a dedicated block of time I'll use it to play a video game, watch a movie or read a book. If I need to kill a little time while doing chores or whatever I'll listen to music or surf YouTube. It's not that I wouldn't enjoy a TV show it's just the whole model of the subscription TV service with it's packages and advertising bugs me and I've decided that there is little value to spending that much money for what amounts to a time waster. The little 'TV' I do watch is on-demand netflix or the occasional football/basketball game OTA.

These 'OTT' services just seem like bad value to me. Maybe it's because Netflix has spoiled us all for so long or maybe it's the knowledge that the more of these networks that begin offering their own on-demand model the slimmer the choices will become on existing 'agnostic' services like netflix and hulu necessitating multiple subscriptions. If you sub to 4 or 5 of these ala carte options are you really saving anything over traditional TV service?

I decided that I wasn't going to chase shows-- the same way I refuse to chase video game exclusives. At the end of the day I won't miss what I can't see/play. I even went so far as to change sports: I used to watch a lot of basketball as I was an advid fan but the lack of games available on broadcast TV forced me to stop watching. I decided instead to start watching the NFL as games are readily available OTA.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #46 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hello Greaser,

Hope you are well.

I have Cox cable and I love them, but I do not have cable TV through them, only digital telephone and internet. Recently COX doubled the speed of everyones plan without raising prices. I was on a 25Mbit plan, and now I have 50Mbit without any extra cost. I get my TV over the air, and don't watch much of it nowadays. I watch a lot of movies in my home theater with blu ray discs. I can't stand the poor quality of streaming, even with 50Mbit internet the compression is terrible especially on a 12 foot wide projection screen. My kids don't mind the streaming on their tablets, it does not look too bad on a small screen. We have Amazon Prime for them, and they enjoy that.

I am not beholden or a slave to any company, I have a choice in my area of Verizon FIOS or COX cable for a broadband ISP. COX customer service is the best with actual physical locations for me to do business. Verizon is like a ghost company without a physical store to go into. I am probably lucky to have 2 choices in my area for broadband access, many people probably only have one broadband provider in their area, unless they go with satellite internet, or just go mobile data only.

Your rant about Comcast is interesting, however I need fast internet for my work. We have limited choices for fast internet in most areas, unless Cities start setting up broadband as a municipal utility we have to choose from what is available. Verizon customer service is absolutely terrible, we tried them once...never again. They kept trying to charge us for service that we had cancelled for 6 months, finally had to get a lawyer to handle them. You should not have to get a lawyer to handle something as simple as cancelling a service. As I said, we love COX and they treat us well, therefore they gain our business.

May I ask what non cable company broadband ISP you have available in your area? Do you have Google fibre? Or something else? Or are you using a non broadband dial-up ISP? DSL through a phone company?

Later,

Tony
Sorry about the rant Tony...i just get Very passionate about this subject and don't know when to stop sometimes.
I understand that for business purposes you may very well need all the speed you can get and Comcast is among the best,don't know about Cox.My rant is all about home uses like streaming tv.
You really are lucky to have choices of service providers in your area,a lot of cities don't have that choice.Where i live cable service is Comcast or nothing.
My ISP is CenturyLink...not a lot of speed...8Mbts.down which is the best speed i can get in my area,but in other areas they give up to ~50Mbts. but the 8Mbts is steady,and more than enough to stream NF Vudu or Amazon in 1080p w/o problems.

Last edited by greaser; 06-08-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #47 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The little 'TV' I do watch is on-demand netflix or the occasional football/basketball game OTA.
If you have access to OTA then you already have access to >80% of the TV shows people actually watch -- for free and at the highest quality available. Go buy yourself an OTA DVR so you can watch what you want on your terms and get hooked like the rest of us.

- kelson h

post #48 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
My ISP is CenturyLink...not a lot of speed...8Mbts.down which is the best speed i can get in my area,but in other areas they give up to ~50Mbts. but the 8Mbts is steady,and more than enough to stream NF Vudu or Amazon in 1080p w/o problems.
How is that service delivered to your home? Who owns the pipe it is coming over.

I believe if you have regulated copper telephone lines, the telco is obligated to share their pipes with 3rd party ISP's (not necessarily for free) but cable and FIOS are under no such obligation.

- kelson h

post #49 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
How is that service delivered to your home? Who owns the pipe it is coming over.

I believe if you have regulated copper telephone lines, the telco is obligated to share their pipes with 3rd party ISP's (not necessarily for free) but cable and FIOS are under no such obligation.
Hello Kelson,

Hope you are well.

CenturyLink is the third largest telephone company in the USA, behind AT&T and Verizon. They serve up DSL internet service, and are working on a 1 gigabit fibre service that is currently available in a limited number of cities.

Later,

Tony

post #50 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
If you have access to OTA then you already have access to >80% of the TV shows people actually watch -- for free and at the highest quality available. Go buy yourself an OTA DVR so you can watch what you want on your terms and get hooked like the rest of us.
Doesn't recording a game and watching it after the fact sort of defeat the purpose?

While I've been watching the Finals on ABC my local Pistons are never playing on network TV so I rarely catch them. Oh well, more time to spend doing constructive things. I 'cut the cord' years ago and am still amazed at all the things I have time for now. Live TV has the bad habit of sucking you into the couch to channel surf or find something to watch as opposed to you dictating the usage of your time. I don't miss it one bit.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #51 of 71 Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Doesn't recording a game and watching it after the fact sort of defeat the purpose?
Heck no. There's no other way to watch it. I haven't watched a football game live in years. I let it record for at least 1.5 hr before I start to watch it so I can FF through commercials and the stupid half-time talking heads. We are typically doing our weekly grocery shopping during the start of a 1:00pm game.

Quote:
Live TV has the bad habit of sucking you into the couch to channel surf or find something to watch as opposed to you dictating the usage of your time.
Again, that is what a DVR is for -- allowing you to dictate the use of your time. Record the shows you want to watch when they air and watch them when you want on your terms. The only surfing you do is through the list of your recordings to see which of the shows you are really interested in you want to watch at that particular sitting.

These new streaming service offerings like HBO, Showtime and Sling-TV that can't be DVR'd and force the viewer to watch first-run content in real-time, enslaved to a network's schedule are truly retrograde.

- kelson h

post #52 of 71 Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Heck no. There's no other way to watch it. I haven't watched a football game live in years. I let it record for at least 1.5 hr before I start to watch it so I can FF through commercials and the stupid half-time talking heads. We are typically doing our weekly grocery shopping during the start of a 1:00pm game.

Again, that is what a DVR is for -- allowing you to dictate the use of your time. Record the shows you want to watch when they air and watch them when you want on your terms. The only surfing you do is through the list of your recordings to see which of the shows you are really interested in you want to watch at that particular sitting.

These new streaming service offerings like HBO, Showtime and Sling-TV that can't be DVR'd and force the viewer to watch first-run content in real-time, enslaved to a network's schedule are truly retrograde.
I agree with your point about Sling TV -- only some of the content is available on-demand for the next few days after it airs, so it falls far short of cable + DVR. But with the Showtime and HBO streaming apps, everything they air live is immediately available to view on-demand. Granted, like with Netflix, there's a window of time any given movie will be available -- usually a few months. With their original programming, though, it never goes away. It's always there waiting for you without taking up any space on your DVR. HBO doesn't even provide a live stream of their channel via HBO Now or HBO Go but Showtime does stream their live channel in addition to putting everything on-demand.
post #53 of 71 Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
But with the Showtime and HBO streaming apps, everything they air live is immediately available to view on-demand.
So, movies aside -- if you mean that a live airing of original content, say Game of Thrones, is available for on-demand viewing a day or two after the live airing -- that would work just fine.

- kelson h

post #54 of 71 Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, movies aside -- if you mean that a live airing of original content, say Game of Thrones, is available for on-demand viewing a day or two after the live airing -- that would work just fine.
I'm fairly sure that original series (e.g. Game of Thrones, Homeland, Ray Donovan, etc.) are available for on-demand streaming, if not at the exact moment the show starts live, then within a few minutes. The exception would be shows that air live (Bill Maher on HBO, boxing on Showtime) -- you have to wait a few hours or maybe until the next day to stream those. That's an example of where having the live channel stream is nice for Showtime. Hopefully HBO will add that feature to HBO Go/Now.
Ph8te likes this.
post #55 of 71 Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6240
Quote:

HBO offers their shows almost immediately after the show has aired on the East Coast via HBOGO. Sometimes there is a delay however, due to distribution issues. If you have access to in demand then usually HBO has a "set" schedule with cable providers. The new shows/catalog updates get pushed the same time every week.

Sent from nowhere
post #56 of 71 Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Chief Observation Officer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'll present an apparently unpopular view. Sports broadcasts and the ability to DVR anything and everything and skip ads are what keep my family on cable. We are not wealthy people by any means, but the expense is worth it for us. Juggling providers, packages or channels to save a few bucks has a sanity cost, and they make sure of that. Not interested. We do call up to negotiate occasionally and get an "unadvertised new promotion" (yes, I know) and that keeps things manageable. So I suppose people like me who find value in the full package for what some would consider an unreasonable cost could be viewed as part of the problem, but I don't care. I'm generally happy. The reliability is nearly perfect. The CS sucks, but I rarely need them. I think the industry will eventually be forced to go more a la carte and I will be keeping an eye on it. But until I don't need to maintain a half dozen separate subscriptions on three different devices to get what I want, I'm fine this way.
robnix, Kelson, HockeyoAJB and 1 others like this.
post #57 of 71 Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodynic View Post
I'll present an apparently unpopular view.
Unpopular here but I suspect it is mainstream.

- kelson h

post #58 of 71 Old 06-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm starting to know more and more people who survive solely off netflix. It's not for the faint of heart someone like me has direct tv, netflix, amazon prime, hbo, lol I have a problem.

I wish I had the stomach or will power to cut the cord on my direct tv service. I will say when using my amazon fire stick its pretty cool that there are apps for disney channel, nick, hbo and they even let you choose between live channels or pick what ever episode but you need direct tv for these apps to work...

Does anyone know about slingbox. I was wondering if i got sling box and only picked the channels I want then maybe i could finally get rid of direct tv but i love watching the news in the morning too. So I dont know what to do.
post #59 of 71 Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Showtime streaming service will be available as an add-on to Hulu Plus for an additional $8.99/mo. Pretty sweet deal IMO.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/23/sho...fered-by-hulu/
post #60 of 71 Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post
The Showtime streaming service will be available as an add-on to Hulu Plus for an additional $8.99/mo. Pretty sweet deal IMO.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/23/sho...fered-by-hulu/
Yep, I saw that today too. Very good deal. My guess is that Showtime is giving Hulu a smaller cut than they're giving the distributors of the standalone Showtime app (Apple, Roku, etc.), which is why it's $9 through Hulu instead of $11. Looks like you'll be able to add Showtime to the Hulu app on nearly every platform except TiVo, which is where I want it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page