Showtime Goes Over-the-Top With New Streaming Service - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Yep, I saw that today too. Very good deal. My guess is that Showtime is giving Hulu a smaller cut than they're giving the distributors of the standalone Showtime app (Apple, Roku, etc.), which is why it's $9 through Hulu instead of $11. Looks like you'll be able to add Showtime to the Hulu app on nearly every platform except TiVo, which is where I want it!
It should be a little less when you consider that Hulu streams only at 720 P and there will be no 5.1 surround sound. I don't have a problem with that. But I can see the flaming posts in an AVS thread already of those who are unaware. AVS veterans you know I mean.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Hmm. Good point. I wasn't aware that Hulu streams at 720p. (Although it looks like they stream in 1080p to the Hulu app on a few smartphones.) I guess it's possible that Hulu will stream Showtime programming at a higher resolution than the rest of their stuff -- that may require an update to the Hulu app, which I expect will happen before they launch Showtime -- although I'd say it's doubtful. Oh well, I'm planning on subscribing directly through the new Showtime app anyhow as I don't really need Hulu.
post #63 of 71 Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Hmm. Good point. I wasn't aware that Hulu streams at 720p.
Quote:
Looks like you'll be able to add Showtime to the Hulu app on nearly every platform except TiVo, which is where I want it!
Perhaps that is why it is not offered through Hulu on TiVo. Perhaps TiVo is negotiating to add it as its own app on the same level as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc. so it can be subscribed to independently and integrated into 1-pass and streamed at native resolution without a Hulu resolution choke-down.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Tony you talk like a captured enemy prisoner...or a slave.You don't have to stay with your current ISP (probably Concrap)...you can change ISP's anytime you want to...remember,YOU don't NEED them...THEY NEED YOU!!...w/o YOU..."THEY"are dead in the water,NOT YOU...and good riddance to them.The cable/sat cabal has been ripping people off for years and it just keeps getting worse with constant price increases,lousy to non existent CS,plus added fees for almost any equipment they supply.The cable/sat cabal has brought the cord cutting movement upon themselves,mainly because of their constant gouging of the tv viewing public.And let's not forget about all the crap channels we're Forced to pay for though we never watch them.Heck,when i had Dish i was paying ~$100.00 mo.just to watch maybe 6-7 of them,most of the rest are mainly on welfare...couldn't exist any other way,and us cord cutters are tired of paying for channels we don't watch as well as the high sub.and equipment rental fees.
If the cable/sat cabal start raising their prices due to us cord cutter/cord never's,then so be it,drop concrap..don't cry about it and continue to pay pay pay as though there's nothing you can do about it.YOU/WE the tv viewing public have the power to say what happens if only we would realize it and exercise that power as we the cord cutters/cord never's are exercising that power,by choosing who we'll give our money too.Don't let "them",the cable/sat cabal,dictate how you/we will watch tv,we collectively have the power to say how we'll watch tv,Not them,and the fear of losing revenue the cable/sat cabal has because of us cord cutter's/cord never's proves the point.They know we have the power,but they don't want us to realize it.

I cut the cord almost 3 years ago...have a non-cableco.ISP that isn't expensive,and has no data caps.I don't give a damn about the threat of rising prices for any of you cable/sat subscribers...if you're dumb enough to stay with them then pay pay pay...and cry cry cry.
The choice is yours...and mine.
I have been on this board for a long time and have read a million post, this by far is the best post yet. I'm a cord too and have Century Link with no caps. We were with *D a long time and when we dropped them my wife said this was one of the best thing we have done in a long time. Over a $100 a month savings.

Bobby Ray
post #65 of 71 Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Perhaps that is why it is not offered through Hulu on TiVo. Perhaps TiVo is negotiating to add it as its own app on the same level as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc. so it can be subscribed to independently and integrated into 1-pass and streamed at native resolution without a Hulu resolution choke-down.
I certainly hope that's the case. TiVo is really on a roll with software/apps in the last year (OnePass, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Yahoo Screen, Plex, I Heart Radio) and they're now increasingly targeting cord-cutters with the Roamio OTA (including a new TV ad:
) plus whatever they announce in July (the rumored Aereo successor). And Showtime is being very aggressive about getting their new OTT streaming service widely distributed (far more aggressive than HBO Now is being). So I'll actually be surprised if we don't see Showtime streaming on TiVo with OnePass integration happen by the end of the year.
post #66 of 71 Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
OMG, I can't believe that ad. They really did that?

Yes, TiVo is on an aggressive roll with new features/services and pricing. The $400 price for an OTA (lifetime) has been persistent, ever since the 2 day $300 OTA (lifetime) deal (got one of those). The $400 OTA deal made it to their home page even before the "Summer Sale". I fully expect it continues to stick after the "Summer Sale" is over the same way the reduced price for a lifetime Mini stuck and became permanent after its proposed end-date of last January. Cord-nevers and cord-cutters will buy into a subscription model for content, but are not going to buy into a subscription model for what they perceive to be a single-purpose PC -- no matter how good it is.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #67 of 71 Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
A follow-up note: I took advantage over the weekend of a free two-month Hulu trial on Roku. After activating the account there, I signed in and am using Hulu on my TiVo. When you bump the picture quality setting up to the max (3.5 Mbps), it looks really good, and consistently so across shows, even if it is just 720p. It definitely looks better than what I see via the Showtime Anytime app on my Apple TV (3rd gen/1080p), whether watching shows on demand or the live TV stream. (Showtime Anytime really crapped the bed PQ-wise while I watched the Nurse Jackie finale Sunday on their live stream -- and I was watching the repeat of the episode late that night!) Both devices are connected via ethernet to the same router with 20 Mpbs+ fiber/DSL service.

I say all this to make two points: the new Showtime OTT service better be using a superior system (servers, software, compression, access to internet backbone, etc.) than what they're using now with Showtime Anytime, which I've consistently seen to have poorer HD PQ (and no DD 5.1 sound, I think) on both Apple TV and Roku than what I've seen from other major streaming sources (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Hulu).

Secondly, if they don't up their game, it may turn out that you get better Showtime PQ by getting it through Hulu than directly through the new Showtime app.
post #68 of 71 Old 07-09-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In case anyone's wondering, HD picture quality on the new Showtime standalone streaming service looks very good! I signed up for the first month free on my Apple TV 3 (ethernet wired to a 20 Mbps+ Uverse internet connection). I'd say that shows streamed on-demand look slightly better than what I saw on the live Showtime channel through any traditional satellite or cable provider I've ever had, about on par with what HD video looks like through Netflix. That said, the live Showtime streaming channel through this new service only looks so-so -- definitely not as good as through satellite or cable. Lastly, I read today that Showtime says they will add 5.1 surround sound to the streaming service "very soon". I give it a thumbs up!
post #69 of 71 Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
In case anyone's wondering, HD picture quality on the new Showtime standalone streaming service looks very good! I signed up for the first month free on my Apple TV 3 (ethernet wired to a 20 Mbps+ Uverse internet connection). I'd say that shows streamed on-demand look slightly better than what I saw on the live Showtime channel through any traditional satellite or cable provider I've ever had, about on par with what HD video looks like through Netflix. That said, the live Showtime streaming channel through this new service only looks so-so -- definitely not as good as through satellite or cable. Lastly, I read today that Showtime says they will add 5.1 surround sound to the streaming service "very soon". I give it a thumbs up!
I signed up for it also on Apple TV, so far I've found they have all seasons of Homeland available, will see what else they have available

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #70 of 71 Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I signed up for it also on Apple TV, so far I've found they have all seasons of Homeland available, will see what else they have available
Check out Ray Donovan and Episodes!
post #71 of 71 Old 12-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Angry On Demand Visual Previews Missing ?????

I have an issue with Showtime Anytime's on demand presentations. It's Showtime's technical decision to *not* allow video previews as you move a cursor over the video timeline online through the Showtime Anytime site, or through the TWC Roku on demand service.

However, if you watch a showtime series on demand through, directly through your cable TV (and not through the TWC Roku app, or online), then you *do* get video previews over the timeline of that episode.

In case there are forum members that would question why that feature would be important, well, it's much easier to find and re-watch a part of a video, if you get the visual previews as you move the cursor across the time line. It's also much easier to move through a scene you really don't want to watch. Imagine that! Someone *not* wanting to watch a realistic torture scene!!!

Technically, if it's possible through the cable tv feed, then it should be possible through Roku, and online through a computer, ***just as Amazon's online series *** bear out.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page