Showtime Goes Over-the-Top With New Streaming Service - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8810 Post(s)
Liked: 15467
Showtime Goes Over the Top With New Streaming Service

The venerable cable TV network follows HBO's lead with the launch of a stand-alone streaming service on Apple devices.

Cord cutters crave content. Showtime's recent announcement it will offer a subscription cloud-based service—also called Showtime—provides yet more incentive for viewers who prefer an a la carte approach to sever ties to cable TV.

The new service launches in early July, at first exclusively on Apple devices including Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad. The Showtime app will offer a 30-day free trial, and the price of keeping the subscription is $11/month, undercutting HBO Now's $15/month price.

Subscribers to the Showtime over-the-top (OTT) service will enjoy access to all of the network's original programming, sports coverage, documentaries, and a sizeable collection of movies. In addition to on-demand content, the new OTT service will feature Showtime's live broadcast streams.

I'm excited to see this development. It's been years since I last subscribed to cable TV, but the explosion of great shows from HBO and Showtime left me feeling jealous. Now, there's one less reason ever to go back to cable TV. What's your take, is OTT streaming via dedicated apps the future of content consumption?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Squirrel! likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-06-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The venerable cable TV network follows HBO's lead with the launch of a stand-alone streaming service on Apple devices.

Cord cutters crave content. Showtime's recent announcement it will offer a subscription cloud-based service—also called Showtime—provides yet more incentive for viewers who prefer an a la carte approach to sever ties to cable TV.

The new service launches in early July, at first exclusively on Apple devices including Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad. The Showtime app will offer a 30-day free trial, and the price of keeping the subscription is $11/month, undercutting HBO Now's $15/month price.

Subscribers to the Showtime over-the-top service (OTT) will enjoy access to all of the network's original programming, sports coverage, documentaries, and a sizeable collection of movies. In addition to on-demand content, the new OTT service will feature Showtime's live broadcast streams.

I'm excited to see this development. It's been years since I last subscribed to cable TV, but the explosion of great shows from HBO and Showtime left me feeling jealous. Now, there's one less reason ever to go back to cable TV. What's your take, is OTT streaming via dedicated apps the future of content consumption?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Sounds cool, hopefully they can launch as smoothly as HBO Now did.

Looky here!
post #3 of 71 Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Well the price is good, however by the time you start adding Showtime, HBO, netflix, internet subscription etc, etc you are back at the price of "the cord" or Sat Box. I use Xfinity and there 150mbps service and they threw HBO Go in for free for 12 months. I never watch it.
david0406 likes this.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 06-05-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
The shows i watch are on HBO and Showtime so this really good news to me. Getting closer to not needing cable at all.

These movements will also make cable providers lower their fee's to stay competitive i think.

home theater addict
post #5 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Well the price is good, however by the time you start adding Showtime, HBO, netflix, internet subscription etc, etc you are back at the price of "the cord" or Sat Box.
Agreed, however I can see signing up for a month, binge watching the shows I like and then canceling. Rinse and repeat every 4-6 months.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #6 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm dropping digital cable in July and going basic with the stand alone HBO and Showtime services.
post #7 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Once these apps actually get to the Roku devices then at least you can dodge the cable companies charges to rent their equipment. I pay Verizon Fios $39.99 plus tax a month for multi-room DVR. Fios requires some form of equipment rental to use the service. I find it kind of irritating. If it wasn't for my wife wanting to watch all the cooking shows and my son and myself wanting easy access to sports then I would dump cable. It just seems to is no good "1" answer to all of our entertainment needs. I did dump all the movies channels and individual room dvr's due to the fact that my monthly bill was exceeding $225.00 a month. Fios does provide excellent video quality despite being 1080i and lightning fast internet connections but it does seem a little expensive. Their misleading ads about monthly service costs does not include equipment rental costs and taxes. So that $79.99 monthly price mysteriously becomes $125-150 a month.
qwho51 likes this.

Last edited by david0406; 06-06-2015 at 05:17 AM.
post #8 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Agreed, however I can see signing up for a month, binge watching the shows I like and then canceling. Rinse and repeat every 4-6 months.

That is not what they want to see if the amount of people that subscribe to the cable TV version of the service drop big time.
post #9 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 124
premium channels having a streaming service without a cable subscription is cool and all but while the secret motive behind this is to curb piracy, making it an apple exclusive isn't going to help much(HBO does the same thing), when the larger streaming devices(XB1,PS4, and TVs with built in smart features) are left out.
huskerbear likes this.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #10 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post
premium channels having a streaming service without a cable subscription is cool and all but while the secret motive behind this is to curb piracy, making it an apple exclusive isn't going to help much(HBO does the same thing), when the larger streaming devices(XB1,PS4, and TVs with built in smart features) are left out.
No plans at all to make them available on other devices?
post #11 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
The shows i watch are on HBO and Showtime so this really good news to me. Getting closer to not needing cable at all.

These movements will also make cable providers lower their fee's to stay competitive i think.
HBO - go is a huge gaff! All one need do is have access to a ligit subscribers pass word. And that gets passed around to the point where those who do pay are paying for all the crooks.
post #12 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 855
quad4.0 Spot on, easier to hack... Direct TV has made the system very difficult to hack people don't realize the easier you make it the easier it will be to hack. Thats why I hate Cloud services as well....Why should I have to pay for storage monthly when I can just go out and get a hard drive, if I unplug it know one has access to it. Sorry off track a bit, but I agree with your statement above.
post #13 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Lots of folks have commented (rightly so) that with the proliferation of all these individual subscription OTT services, a cord-cutter could end up paying as much as a regular cable subscriber. That's possible but it misses the point. What's happening is the slow unbundling of TV services, and that's a good thing. I recently "cut the cord," at least partially. I went from DirecTV to a combo of OTA TV and OTT streaming, mostly consumed through a TiVo Roamio DVR. I'm paying less and, while I may be getting less content, it's more of specifically what I want.

I watch a lot of series on Showtime -- I think they have the best overall slate of originals among all the premium outlets -- and I'm happy to see them finally announce this service. I really hope it gets added to the TiVo platform. While some folks complain about the cost, I'm actually surprised it's not higher. The usual cost through DirecTV and Dish is $14 per month, although TV providers do offer specials now and then. I have no problem paying $11 a month for Showtime. I do, however, hope they improve their streaming video and audio quality (especially the live Showtime channel feed) above what it is now via the Showtime Anytime app. It's not bad, per se, but it certainly pales in comparison to the extremely high-quality HD video from Netflix. I'd say video quality on HBO Go falls somewhere in between the two. And I don't think Showtime Anytime supports DD 5.1 audio. Those observations are based on looking at the services on the same large TV with 20 Mbps broadband connection through both an Apple TV 3 and a Roku 2.

Lastly, from what I've read, I don't expect the new streaming Showtime to remain Apple-only for long. In fact, they may line up more platforms in time for the launch. There's definitely not a 90-day exclusive launch window for Apple as is the case with HBO Now.
post #14 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Well the price is good, however by the time you start adding Showtime, HBO, netflix, internet subscription etc, etc you are back at the price of "the cord" or Sat Box. I use Xfinity and there 150mbps service and they threw HBO Go in for free for 12 months. I never watch it.
This is where Discipline (something most people don't have anymore)comes into play...you must be able to make the hard decisions about what you actually Need..and what would be nice to have but can do without....for instance if i were to add SHOWTIME to my Roku (when it comes to Roku) i'd drop NF in a NY minute,which means spending only $3 bucks more per month...$11.00 for Showtime minus $8.00 for NF=$3.00 more per mo.
You can also keep costs low by juggling channels around by subscribing to one channel for maybe 3-6 mos.when they have something you want to see,then drop it for another one for a few mos.when that channel has something you just gotta see.
There are diff.ways to keep costs from spiraling out of control to the point where it's no cheaper than cable/sat...but it all starts with self Discipline.

I cut the cord almost 3 yrs.ago and using my Roku,laptop,and antenna there is almost Nothing i can't watch,and there's so much content available i don't have nearly enough time to watch it all.

Last edited by greaser; 06-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.
post #15 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
by the time you add up all the channels paid apps i would be paying more than cable - will stick to prime and netflix :-) for 11 a month showtime does not have the variety that netflix does for less money.
post #16 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post
No plans at all to make them available on other devices?
Once the exclusivity with Apple runs out, I would not be surprised to see Showtime & HBO streaming services integrated into the TiVo Roamio UI with one-pass the same way they already have for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Vudu, etc. I don't understand why the Apple exclusive.
david0406 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
by the time you add up all the channels paid apps i would be paying more than cable - will stick to prime and netflix :-) for 11 a month showtime does not have the variety that netflix does for less money.
If somebody is sooo out of control with their spending habits,and STUPID and FOOLISH enough to buy all the paid channels,then they deserve what they get...a HUGE bill EASILY topping a cable/sat bill.That kind of person is much better off staying with the cable/sat cabal as they have utterly no Self Discipline/Self Control whatsoever.
The "I Must Have Everything All The Time or i'll throw a hissy fit" attitude doesn't cut it in the ala-carte streaming world.

Last edited by greaser; 06-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
post #18 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
This is all going to come to a head if people drop cable tv in large masses. No doubt in my mind if that happens, cable tv will double and triple the cost of internet for those who choose not to bundle with cable tv, thus making cutting the cord not cost effective.
post #19 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
My plan is to subscribe to HBO and Showtime for 2 or 3 months each year and catch up on shows. (For instance, I'll do HBO when the new season of Game of Thrones is on.) Nice balance between cost and premium content

When I look at my online-tv costs I don't "count" internet or Amazon Prime because I would have those anyway (need them for work so I actually get to write them off on taxes.) That means my online-tv costs are just Netflix, Hulu Plus and occasional rentals from iTunes. Big savings (for me) compared to cable - don't think I'll ever go back.
post #20 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM

There is always the danger that as more studios set up their own streaming service, they will start pulling their content from Netflix/Amazon Prime if they feel their catalog can stand on its own and attract subscribers. Everybody wants cable channels unbundled, but with bundling comes massive discounts you will lose in an a'la carte world. It may be somewhat cheaper initially but eventually you will be paying as much or more for "just the channels you want".

Why people think these changes are for the consumers benefit and not the financial benefit of the content providers is beyond me.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 06-06-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #21 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
This is all going to come to a head if people drop cable tv in large masses. No doubt in my mind if that happens, cable tv will double and triple the cost of internet for those who choose not to bundle with cable tv, thus making cutting the cord not cost effective.
Already there with FIOS.
I can actually add FIOS select TV to my current Internet/phone contract and decrease my bill by $5/month. So they are trying to pay me to get FIOS TV.

- kelson h

post #22 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Why people think these changes are for the consumers benefit and not the financial benefit of the content providers is beyond me.
These changes aren't being done FOR the consumers benefit by anybody....it is totally consumer driven...it's the cord cutters/cord nevers that are driving the changes,it's a rebellion by 'US' the consumers,against the cable/sat cabal's business model,not some benevolent corporate bigwigs feeling sorry for us,or looking to make more money...hell they're scared to death of us cord cutter/cord nevers and that's THE ONLY reason these services are being offered OTT.The cable/sat cabal's only concern is to Not be driven into the dustbin of history.
robnix likes this.

Last edited by greaser; 06-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #23 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Already there with FIOS.
I can actually add FIOS select TV to my current Internet/phone contract and decrease my bill by $5/month. So they are trying to pay me to get FIOS TV.
So far my cable company doesn't offer deals like that. I can get internet for $45 a month with 60 Mbs speed. If I want to add a preferred cable tv package that doesn't include showtime, HBO, etc, the package deal is $105 a month. So streaming is cheaper with just internet service, even with Apple's soon to be $40 a month service that includes ESPN. I envision someday the cable company jacking up the internet only service to $90 or $100 a month and a bundled service for $110 a month.
post #24 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Or maybe the cable companies will start charging say 1$ for this channel and 3$ for that and I could get the 12-15 channels I would actually watch for 30$ a month or so. And as a bonus maintain more subscribers and put all the religion/shopping channel knuckle draggers where they belong which is out of business. None of the religion and most of the shopping channels could survive if not bundled by the cable companies.

Another potential benefit is that people wouldn't pay for Discovery channel stations that broadcast hillbilly hand fishing, dumb ass dynasty and 19 ignorant home schooled sexual molesters and get back to doing Planet Earth type shows. And yes I'm totally proud of my lack of respect for people that regularly tune in to and enjoy that programming.

Jgiddyup
post #25 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
And as a bonus maintain more subscribers and put all the religion/shopping channel knuckle draggers where they belong which is out of business. None of the religion and most of the shopping channels could survive if not bundled by the cable companies.

Another potential benefit is that people wouldn't pay for Discovery channel stations that broadcast hillbilly hand fishing, dumb ass dynasty and 19 ignorant home schooled sexual molesters and get back to doing Planet Earth type shows. And yes I'm totally proud of my lack of respect for people that regularly tune in to and enjoy that programming.
rockmonster01 likes this.
post #26 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
These changes aren't being done FOR the consumers benefit by anybody....it is totally consumer driven...it's the cord cutters/cord nevers that are driving the changes,it's a rebellion by 'US' the consumers,against the cable/sat cabal's business model,not some benevolent corporate bigwigs feeling sorry for us,or looking to make more money...hell they're scared to death of us cord cutter/cord nevers and that's THE ONLY reason these services are being offered OTT.The cable/sat cabal's only concern is to Not be driven into the dustbin of history.
+1 Cable/Sat has been abusing the market with their packaged TV structure for a long time.

Also, I suspect the Cord-Never's are their primary source of angst because of what it bodes for the future. All (not some) of my 20-something neighbors are Cord-Nevers, and, my 8th grade daughter and all her friends exclusively watch online "TV" (including YouTube series).

I also agree that this will have a big effect on programming over the next 10 years ...
post #27 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
HBO - go is a huge gaff! All one need do is have access to a ligit subscribers pass word. And that gets passed around to the point where those who do pay are paying for all the crooks.
Huh? Who gives around their password freely? Either way HBO and Showtime is still cheaper than cable. Paying for channels you don't use, and taxes and other made up charges, is nonsense.

Though i do like those smaller channels HDnet and MGMHD.

home theater addict
post #28 of 71 Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I think the only way for cable companies to survive is to go La Carte! I think most people like myself are sick and tired of paying $$$ for a service of 500 channels and you only watch 1/50th of them. If it wasn't for a couple of channels that I really enjoy, I would just get a UHF antenna and live on the over the air HD (Which actually looks better on some channels).

post #29 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i like the idea of subscribing for a month here and there to watch what you want then get out - with fios i could add cable for about $15 more a month (not hbo, showtime, etc) but they still get you with the equipment rental fee for each box adding another 20 or so a month which is what really jacks it all up
post #30 of 71 Old 06-07-2015, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Wow, AVS senior writer with 7000+ posts and doesn't get cable TV? That's like a car dealer who only rides bicycles, or a butcher being a vegetarian.

I didn't get cable for a few years and lived off of torrents. It's not ideal but you can suffice. Having a TiVo got me somewhat excited about cable TV again, but the picture quality is still low. I can't wait for bluray or better quality cable TV personally.

The one thing I could not give up is being able to watch Game of Thrones in real time, that alone is worth the measly $80 a month I pay for TV! We are big TV watchers, my last count was there was 92 shows that we follow. Of course many of them aren't on right now or have ended. Movies are dying, TV is the future. Only so much you can put into a 2 hour movie, and they seam to be running out of ideas. I haven't seen a killer new movie in several years. Showtime, HBO, Starz (my fav) FX, AMC, heck even History are taking all the actors.

I sometimes forget though that $80 a month is a lot to some people. If you are low income there are a lot of great options out there. Of course I can't see low income folks spending the amount showtime is asking either. For me streaming is a supplement, not a replacement. At least until quality and content improves.

Showtime and HBO don't have enough content to justify $15 a month for their streaming services. You could watch every show they have in one month. Prime members already get almost all of HBOs library included in their membership. I'm pretty sure I pay $15 for hbo, showtime and Starz bundle through charter cable. I haven't looked at the bill in over a year thanks to autopay, so maybe its higher now.
rockmonster01 likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D + Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 65OLEDC6P + 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED
Denon X5200W + Integral + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX/FX2/4 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Denon X6300h + Oppo BDP-103D + Xbox One S
Monitor Audio Silver 10's + Silver Center + CP-CT380's + 2x HSU ULS-15 MK2
3.1 MartinLogan Motion 40/30 + Rhythmik FV15HP + Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D

Last edited by OneStepAhead; 06-07-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page