Roku / Insignia / Intel HTPC HDMI issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Roku / Insignia / Intel HTPC HDMI issues

Hi -

Not sure if there's a solution to my problem, but wanted to post to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and perhaps to document it for others who might see this issue in the future.

I have a new Insignia 55" LED TV model # NS-55D420NA16. I also have an HTPC based on an Intel DH67GD motherboard. Both work great together with the HTPC outputting 1080p through HDMI. I added a Roku 3 to the system and am now having issues switching sources. Once I switch inputs to the Roku when I try switching back to the HTPC I will get a static screen that intermittently blanks out - like the TV is having issues syncing to the source. This happens very consistently. There are 3 ways to get the signal back:

1 - Power the TV off then back on. The HTPC will then display fine.
2 - Unplug the HTPC's HDMI cable and plug back in. The HTPC will then display fine.
3 - Unplug the Roku's HDMI cable, then switch sources to an empty input, then back to the HTPC - and the HTPC will display fine.

If I then switch back to the Roku and back to the HTPC the same issue will occur.

Here is what I have tried:
- Multiple different HDMI cables for both devices. Same issue.
- Swapped HDMI inputs on the TV. Doesn't matter which inputs I use, the same thing happens just as described.
- Returned the TV for a new one, thinking it may have been defective. Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC running an Intel DH67CF motherboard (same chipset but different board). Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC NUC model # D34010WYK which has Intel HD Graphics 4400. Same issue.
- Tried both the HTPC and Roku on a different model Insignia 55", model # NS-55D550NA15. Same issue.

- Swapped the Roku for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and HTPC.
- Swapped the HTPC for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and Roku.
- Tried the HTPC and Roku on a Samsung 22" LED TV and the problem does not occur.

So, I feel like I either have a defective Roku that is messing up the HDMI switching on my Insignia TVs under certain circumstances (unlikely), or I have found some kind of odd compatibility issue between Insignia TVs (2 different models), Roku 3, and Intel graphic chipsets (2 different models).

I am running the latest BIOS and drivers on my HTPCs, latest firmware on my Roku, and there is currently no firmware update for my Insignia TV.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. One option is to return the Roku. Maybe it's defective? Or go with a different player altogether.

Another option is to return the Insignia TV AGAIN and try a different brand, but that does not help if I want to add a Roku to my older Insignia TV.

Suggestions??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post
Hi -

Not sure if there's a solution to my problem, but wanted to post to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and perhaps to document it for others who might see this issue in the future.

I have a new Insignia 55" LED TV model # NS-55D420NA16. I also have an HTPC based on an Intel DH67GD motherboard. Both work great together with the HTPC outputting 1080p through HDMI. I added a Roku 3 to the system and am now having issues switching sources. Once I switch inputs to the Roku when I try switching back to the HTPC I will get a static screen that intermittently blanks out - like the TV is having issues syncing to the source. This happens very consistently. There are 3 ways to get the signal back:

2 - Unplug the HTPC's HDMI cable and plug back in. The HTPC will then display fine.
3 - Unplug the Roku's HDMI cable, then switch sources to an empty input, then back to the HTPC - and the HTPC will display fine.

If I then switch back to the Roku and back to the HTPC the same issue will occur.

- Swapped HDMI inputs on the TV. Doesn't matter which inputs I use, the same thing happens just as described.
- Returned the TV for a new one, thinking it may have been defective. Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC running an Intel DH67CF motherboard (same chipset but different board). Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC NUC model # D34010WYK which has Intel HD Graphics 4400. Same issue.
- Tried both the HTPC and Roku on a different model Insignia 55", model # NS-55D550NA15. Same issue.

- Swapped the Roku for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and HTPC.
- Swapped the HTPC for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and Roku.
- Tried the HTPC and Roku on a Samsung 22" LED TV and the problem does not occur.

So, I feel like I either have a defective Roku that is messing up the HDMI switching on my Insignia TVs under certain circumstances (unlikely), or I have found some kind of odd compatibility issue between Insignia TVs (2 different models), Roku 3, and Intel graphic chipsets (2 different models).

I am running the latest BIOS and drivers on my HTPCs, latest firmware on my Roku, and there is currently no firmware update for my Insignia TV.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. One option is to return the Roku. Maybe it's defective? Or go with a different player altogether.

Another option is to return the Insignia TV AGAIN and try a different brand, but that does not help if I want to add a Roku to my older Insignia TV.

Suggestions??

Thanks!
Here is part of the problem, most computers or streaming devices either turn off, or go into sleep mode so the video display circuitry is turned off. Roku's default to a lower power default standby mode so the video circuitry never shuts down. It's always running a screen saver if it's not streaming anything.
One thing you can try is a HDMI switch to break the connection between Roku and TV, that might unlock things. It does sound like a sync issue. An external HDMI switcher might help also.
Two other things to try is posting on the forum that Roku has and write the company itself and see what the engineers say. If it's a compatability problem with Insigna TV's they may heard something.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Hi -

Suggestions??

Thanks!
One other thought, when switching to the Roku have you had the HTPC completely off,or was it in standby mode?

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is part of the problem, most computers or streaming devices either turn off, or go into sleep mode so the video display circuitry is turned off. Roku's default to a lower power default standby mode so the video circuitry never shuts down. It's always running a screen saver if it's not streaming anything.
One thing you can try is a HDMI switch to break the connection between Roku and TV, that might unlock things. It does sound like a sync issue. An external HDMI switcher might help also.
Two other things to try is posting on the forum that Roku has and write the company itself and see what the engineers say. If it's a compatability problem with Insigna TV's they may heard something.
Quote:
One other thought, when switching to the Roku have you had the HTPC completely off,or was it in standby mode?
My HTPCs have all sleep options disabled - so it was fully on. Like you said, however, I do believe Windows probably cuts the HDMI signal when I switch sources. It doesn't take much to duplicate the issue - plug both in, switch to Roku, switch back to HTPC. No delay, wait for sleep, etc. required.

I did call Roku and explain the issue. Surprisingly the support guy seemed to understand what I was saying but other than swapping HDMI cables he did not have any suggestions after putting me on hold and probably checking with tier 2/whatever. I did also post this to Roku and Insignia's support forums to see if I get any feedback.

I found some Amazon.com reviews for the Roku 3 where others indicate weird HDMI issues, but mostly when attached to a receiver or other external switch. If it is a compatibility issue I'm surprised I can't find more references online.

I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this and even doing more than I've posted (different refresh rates on my HTPC, etc..) so I've pretty much had it.

Last edited by Mike_Boulanger; 06-16-2015 at 04:02 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Have you checked if you have the latest software for the TV? It seems that a lot of software upgrades for TVs have been for HDCP issues and other compatibility issues.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Also, turn off HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) in the TV, which might go by one of various names but is the feature that allows an HDMI-connected device to control another HDMI-connected device, but also can cause issues with non-CEC devices.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, unfortunately there are no firmware updates available for either of my Insignia TVs. Insignia calls HDMI CEC "INlink" and it is turned off. I tried turning it on but it made no difference.

Unbelievably (to me) I tried hooking up a Fire TV Stick in place of the Roku 3 and I'm having the same issue!

I'm going to look into something to hook between the HTPC and TV. I have an old Gefen HDMI booster at the office that I may try. Otherwise perhaps a HDMI Detective or an HDMI switch of some kind.

I'd consider swapping the Insignia for a different brand but I do like the set otherwise and the price was so good ($429 for 55"). Plus, who knows if a different brand would solve the problem for sure...

Gotta love HDMI issues!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, I tested briefly with an old Gefen passive HDMI booster that I had kicking around, plugged between my HTPC and TV, and sure enough the issue is no longer occurring. I'll report back if I have further trouble.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
So, I tested briefly with an old Gefen passive HDMI booster that I had kicking around, plugged between my HTPC and TV, and sure enough the issue is no longer occurring. I'll report back if I have further trouble.
After switching from a non-HDMI Pio Elite receiver to a Denon 3313 with HDMI, I have the same issue with other devices too (chromebox-kodi, Win7-WMC, Roku3, Blu-Ray player, etc). Doesn't happen all the time, but it is annoying.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Besides this issue, how do you like the set? I just purchased one and have it being delivered this weekend.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Besides this issue, how do you like the set? I just purchased one and have it being delivered this weekend.
I think it's great, especially for a bedroom TV which mine is - replacing an old 42" commercial Panasonic plasma 480p that I loved (but no HDMI).

10 years ago I might have spent more on a set, but nowadays I'm more about the content and bang for the buck than inching out that last 5% of performance I might get by spending considerably more $. I'm also very happy with the other 55" Insignia I have from last year located in my 3 season room.

With 3 kids nowadays I'm lucky I get to sit down and watch any TV at all!

For $430 I'm very happy! Even with this issue which, based on other threads I've read, could potentially happen with a different brand as well.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I think it's great, especially for a bedroom TV which mine is - replacing an old 42" commercial Panasonic plasma 480p that I loved (but no HDMI).

10 years ago I might have spent more on a set, but nowadays I'm more about the content and bang for the buck than inching out that last 5% of performance I might get by spending considerably more $. I'm also very happy with the other 55" Insignia I have from last year located in my 3 season room.

With 3 kids nowadays I'm lucky I get to sit down and watch any TV at all!

For $430 I'm very happy! Even with this issue which, based on other threads I've read, could potentially happen with a different brand as well.
Great to hear, thanks for the reply! I'm having this delivered tomorrow and it will be replacing the 32 inch 720p LCD I've been watching everything on for the past 6 years so I'm very excited about the huge bump in screen real estate. For under $400 (after a 10% off coupon) it seemed like a steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page