Music-only server? Better than Plex? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlknez
  • 1 Post By halfelite
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2015, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
arkiedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Music-only server? Better than Plex?

I've burned all of my classical music collection to flac and am happy with the sound quality. I've installed and, after a lot of fiddling, find Plex to be merely okay for my purposes. I use my own local media assets and don't really want any help from an agent, like last.fm. In other words, my needs are relatively simple. I use a Roku 3 to stream Netflix, Amazon and Acorn to my HDTV and so I don't want any apps for streaming movies, TV shows or music. Right now I'm running Plex through my Roku and I suppose it's the Roku app that limits comments to a very short sentence.

What I'd like is good music-only server software that will allow me to add more than a short line of text for each album (comments, or "Review" in Plex.) It would be great if I could add a paragraph of information about a classical piece and the composer that would be on the TV screen while it played.

I might be looking for something that doesn't exist but if anyone here can make a recommendation I'd appreciate it. I've tried Serviio and XBMC and they offer less than Plex.

If you have a suggestion please let me know. If I find nothing here I'll settle for Plex.

Thanks,

old arkiedan
arkiedan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GreySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
What I'd like is good music-only server software that will allow me to add more than a short line of text for each album (comments, or "Review" in Plex.) It would be great if I could add a paragraph of information about a classical piece and the composer that would be on the TV screen while it played.

I've tried ... XBMC
I do this with Kodi (XBMC) clients and nfo files in the subdirectory where an album is located. However, the way my setup works is that the comments only show at the beginning of a piece; I don't know for certain if i can set it so they show throughout a piece.

BTW, I'm not using a DLNA/UPnP server to serve music to Kodi; I'm just using a basic file server.
GreySkies is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I avoided the whole FLAC thing and kept it homogenous with iTunes from the start and use Apple TV for streaming music. The interface is excellent and at the new price of $69 an excellent option IMO.
mayhem13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
arkiedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
I avoided the whole FLAC thing and kept it homogenous with iTunes from the start and use Apple TV for streaming music. The interface is excellent and at the new price of $69 an excellent option IMO.
What do you mean, "the whole FLAC thing?" FLAC quality versus iTunes quality? I find FLAC to be indistinguishable from the original CD and, as I said above, I've already burned everything to FLAC, am grudgingly using Plex and have no desire to stream movies, TV, or millions of tunes.

Since I've asked the original question on three forums it's apparent there are no better home media servers than Plex, at least not for my desired use.
arkiedan is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
I've burned all of my classical music collection to flac and am happy with the sound quality. I've installed and, after a lot of fiddling, find Plex to be merely okay for my purposes. I use my own local media assets and don't really want any help from an agent, like last.fm. In other words, my needs are relatively simple. I use a Roku 3 to stream Netflix, Amazon and Acorn to my HDTV and so I don't want any apps for streaming movies, TV shows or music. Right now I'm running Plex through my Roku and I suppose it's the Roku app that limits comments to a very short sentence.

What I'd like is good music-only server software that will allow me to add more than a short line of text for each album (comments, or "Review" in Plex.) It would be great if I could add a paragraph of information about a classical piece and the composer that would be on the TV screen while it played.

I might be looking for something that doesn't exist but if anyone here can make a recommendation I'd appreciate it. I've tried Serviio and XBMC and they offer less than Plex.

If you have a suggestion please let me know. If I find nothing here I'll settle for Plex.

Thanks,

old arkiedan


You want Roon...


https://roonlabs.com/
christoofar likes this.
mlknez is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Member
 
bubbleguuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could look into MinimServer, a free UPnP media server dedicated to music and extremely configurable to particular needs.
bubbleguuum is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,215
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
there are tons to try its going to be the clients that limit you. I would start with jriver though it was huge on music for awhile and added movie support later.
GusGus748s likes this.
halfelite is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 7,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
there are tons to try its going to be the clients that limit you. I would start with jriver though it was huge on music for awhile and added movie support later.
I agree. Try JRiver.
GusGus748s is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
arkiedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Gents,

I've downloaded jriver and have been playing with it this morning. No opinion yet. I failed to say in my original post that I use a Linux OS. Perhaps that's why jriver has locked my system up several times and required a reboot. We'll see.......

Also plan to try a couple of other suggestions.

Thanks again,

old arkiedan
arkiedan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off