Maybe a tall order. Can a single device do all this?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By GreySkies
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 1 Post By Charles R
  • 1 Post By hcour

post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Maybe a tall order. Can a single device do all this??

This may be a tall order.

I'm looking for a single device which has all the following:

- Can run Kodi
- HD audio passthrough (I mean both, not just one)
- Can run Netflix with 1080 and full surround sound (This disqualifies Windows browsers..as no surround sound through them)
- Is not DNS locked, so I can use unblock us.
- Doesn't require a mouse to use Netflix (The Windows 8 'Modern' App stupidly requires a mouse to use, which is exactly what you don't want in a lean-back environment)
- Can receive files over the network and write to external hard drives within multi-drive bays (I currently use this: http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357292050 on my Dune Base 3.0)

The devices that are the closest to having every feature on this list is a Windows 8 PC or the Nvidia SHIELD console, but both of them have almost opposite issues: Windows 8 'Modern' Netflix app doesn't have remote control support and needs a mouse, while the SHIELD doesn't (yet) write to external hard drives within a multi-bay enclosure and it doesn't do HD audio (yet).

Arg. So frustrating. A lot of devices are 90% of the way there, but won't go all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I agree, that is a tall order. And I don't have any suggestions, really.
Why must it be a single device?
post #3 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
Trying to consolidate all of my various devices into one.

Currently, I have a PS3 (netflix/blu-ray discs), a Dune Base 3 (Blu-ray/DVD rips) and a Tronsmart Android box (for Kodi/addons which won't work elsewhere)

Would be nice to take the best elements from them all (The Netflix experience from PS3 (as it can use a remote, keyboard, 1080, surround sound), The functionalities of the Dune Base 3 (Blu-ray rips as mkv with HD audio pass through, transfer content to it through network, using a multi-bay enclosure), and Kodi (Media wall/video addons).

One device leaving ample room on my TV stand for hard drive bays. Having 3 or 4 devices takes up lots of room when each of them has a different function which I use on a daily basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I think a better way to approach it, at least until this unicorn exists (), is to use a good universal activity-based remote that makes your gear function as a single unit. Press one button for Netflix; press another for local movies, press another for local music, etc., and let the remote do the work.
Kelson and Alan P like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
Press one button for Netflix; press another for local movies, press another for local music, etc., and let the remote do the work.
That's why they call it "Harmony"
GreySkies likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
We've been hoping for this for 5 years or more, since streaming hit the scene.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #7 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Frankly, I wouldn't want "one box" to do so much. As surely one aspect (or more) would become obsolete and I'd be faced with replacing it. At I presume a much higher price versus replacing an "individual piece"
kitti likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #8 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
I think a better way to approach it, at least until this unicorn exists (), is to use a good universal activity-based remote that makes your gear function as a single unit. Press one button for Netflix; press another for local movies, press another for local music, etc., and let the remote do the work.
I do have a harmony remote. The Harmony One.

The issue (for me..anyways) isn't about controlling the devices. I got that down...it's simply the physical room on my TV stand. I will eventually run out of room for hard drive bays. Taking out as many devices as I can would give me more room. AND it would make it far easier if I could use a single keyboard for both Netflix and Kodi addons...instead of switching the receiver from one to another.

Last edited by SilverBlade; 07-31-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6338 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
Not going to happen with 1 device. You'll need 2 minimum to achieve what you want. Many have tried (boxeebox) but didn't make enough money or failed in other areas. Unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon

Sent from nowhere
post #10 of 19 Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
The issue (for me..anyways) isn't about controlling the devices. I got that down...it's simply the physical room on my TV stand. I will eventually run out of room for hard drive bays. Taking out as many devices as I can would give me more room.
In that case, I recommend an Amazon Fire TV Stick for Netflix. FHD and DD+ bitstream out, and it doesn't take up any space on your TV stand.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-01-2015, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In that case, I recommend an Amazon Fire TV Stick for Netflix. FHD and DD+ bitstream out, and it doesn't take up any space on your TV stand.
Not remotely interested in the Amazon Fire TV stick:

- Isn't available in Canada (where I live)
- No ethernet (only wifi)
- Doesn't work with unblock US

Any one of those is a deal breaker for me. That's 3 deal breakers in a row.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not remotely interested in the Amazon Fire TV stick:

- Isn't available in Canada (where I live)
- No ethernet (only wifi)
- Doesn't work with unblock US

Any one of those is a deal breaker for me. That's 3 deal breakers in a row.
- You could still find a way to get it. Have a friend buy it and transship, or get it on ebay. This wasn't in your initial list of requirements.
- Do you not have a WiFi router? I'm shocked. This wasn't in your initial list of requirements.
- It does, actually.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-02-2015, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
- You could still find a way to get it. Have a friend buy it and transship, or get it on ebay. This wasn't in your initial list of requirements.
- Do you not have a WiFi router? I'm shocked. This wasn't in your initial list of requirements.
- It does, actually.
I have a WiFi router, I just don't personally trust it to maintain the speed necessary for HD Video for Netflix.

A few years ago it worked great for my brother. Then it started to disconnect randomly and made the internet almost unusable for him. We couldn't move the router/cable modem as that would have meant calling in a cable buy and re-wiring the house. Also tried Ethernet Over Powerline for him...which was worse than Wifi. Finally ended up with MoCA adapters which has been solid.

So basically, I do not trust WiFi at all for HD video.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a WiFi router, I just don't personally trust it to maintain the speed necessary for HD Video for Netflix.

A few years ago it worked great for my brother. Then it started to disconnect randomly and made the internet almost unusable for him. We couldn't move the router/cable modem as that would have meant calling in a cable buy and re-wiring the house. Also tried Ethernet Over Powerline for him...which was worse than Wifi. Finally ended up with MoCA adapters which has been solid.

So basically, I do not trust WiFi at all for HD video.
Unlike your brother, you have Ethernet in your TV stand, though?

Assuming you do, an AP in your TV stand just a few feet from the Fire TV stick would pretty nearly guarantee throughput. If you live in a crowded area, the Fire TV Stick thankfully supports 5GHz .11a/n as well. That can easily push 70 Mbps continuously. How much does HD Netflix use; 4 Mbps or something?

If WiFi couldn't stream Netflix, then people wouldn't keep buying devices like tablets and Fire TV Sticks. For the vast majority of cases, WiFi technology has progressed enough to make HD streaming viable in all but a very few fringe-signal cases.

I apologize for posting again. I'm not a Fire TV salesman ;-) I just don't understand the reason to reject the option just because of its WiFi. Since the forum has established that there isn't really a one-device-wonder for you, I'm trying to help come up with the best compromise options. Mostly that you want to save space in your TV stand.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
I do have a harmony remote. The Harmony One.

The issue (for me..anyways) isn't about controlling the devices. I got that down...it's simply the physical room on my TV stand. I will eventually run out of room for hard drive bays. Taking out as many devices as I can would give me more room. AND it would make it far easier if I could use a single keyboard for both Netflix and Kodi addons...instead of switching the receiver from one to another.
Why not just move all of your storage to a NAS that you can put anywhere on your network? That would simplify a lot of things. You may also want to look into a router that can send traffic from specified ports on specified devices through a proxy or VPN. That would eliminate the need for the client devices to handle it.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #16 of 19 Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Why not just move all of your storage to a NAS that you can put anywhere on your network? That would simplify a lot of things.
Yes, it seems kind of odd to try and stuff a bunch of external drives into the entertainment equipment rack. If you have a decent network you can put the content supply in another location where it has room to spread out.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 19 Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes, it seems kind of odd to try and stuff a bunch of external drives into the entertainment equipment rack. If you have a decent network you can put the content supply in another location where it has room to spread out.
Yeahh....the reason why I don't use a NAS is because the are 100% too expensive for me. It's like 300-500 just for the NAS, no drives. Buying a 4-bay enclosure for $100 is more economical for me. Regardless of how 'great' they are...simply too expensive.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeahh....the reason why I don't use a NAS is because the are 100% too expensive for me. It's like 300-500 just for the NAS, no drives. Buying a 4-bay enclosure for $100 is more economical for me. Regardless of how 'great' they are...simply too expensive.
$100 enclosure + $35 Raspberry Pi = $135 NAS
post #19 of 19 Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
$100 enclosure + $35 Raspberry Pi = $135 NAS
Oh my, that sounds very interesting.

Googling it now.
kitti likes this.