Best Media server to stream from laptop to blurayplayer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Media server to stream from laptop to blurayplayer?

I've been using PS3 Media Server for years now but it really lags when streaming anything high quality, 720p+.

I have a top of the range laptop; i7-4860HQ, GTX 860M SLI, 16GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10

My router is the Virgin Media Superhub 2; 150Mbps down/15 up, although the bluray player can only connect to the 2g band

Bluray player is a Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 connected to my network over the 2G band (not 5g)

What can I do to get better streaming quality over the network? Will using a different software or tweaking settings help?

Will connecting via ethernet instead of Wi-Fi help significantly? - Note, I'd really like to avoid this if possible

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
It's doubtful that it's your PS3 Media Server that's causing your performance issues with streaming HD to your bluray player. Connecting via ethernet (and I know it's not what you want to hear) will probably solve your issues.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by z325 View Post
I've been using PS3 Media Server for years now but it really lags when streaming anything high quality, 720p+.

I have a top of the range laptop; i7-4860HQ, GTX 860M SLI, 16GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10

My router is the Virgin Media Superhub 2; 150Mbps down/15 up, although the bluray player can only connect to the 2g band

Bluray player is a Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 connected to my network over the 2G band (not 5g)

What can I do to get better streaming quality over the network? Will using a different software or tweaking settings help?

Will connecting via ethernet instead of Wi-Fi help significantly? - Note, I'd really like to avoid this if possible

Thanks in advance
I'm assuming you are in the UK since both this model Sony and Virgin media are unknown here in the USA.

Have you tried changing the channel on the Super Hub to something other than 6 which is the default. You may have a lot of competing traffic on channel 6 in your area. As previously mentioned changing to ethernet will likely solve your problem. If not, you want to take a look at the Roku 3 for your streaming needs. Rated near the top in a recent review of streamers in the UK.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...-2015-3580569/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page