Streaming Interstellar in UHD with UltraFlix - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #31 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Was the only UHD upgrade applied to this image resolution? or were the wider color gamut and increased bit depth promised by UHD also in play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8749 Post(s)
Liked: 15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Was the only UHD upgrade applied to this image resolution? or were the wider color gamut and increased bit depth promised by UHD also in play?
I used a Vizio M65-C1 to stream it, which does not have HDR or ECG/WCG capability. Also, Ultraflix did not offer those features with this rental—just 2160p resolution.
mo949 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #33 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What's the point of higher resolution? Isn't the stream much more compressed than the equivalent future UHD BluRay will be? I'm not talking about internet speed because all the speed in the world won't make a compressed image look as good as a less compressed image all other things being equal. I see people all the time talk about Netflix Super HD and Vudu HDX. Those have the exact same resolution as BluRay, but anyone with two eyes can see that BR is better. Why? Because it has much less compression.
Kilgore likes this.

Last edited by TSHA222; 08-14-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
After signing up for the service, I rented Interstellar for 10 bucks.

Really? 10 bucks for a rental?

What a waste of money, for little more you can buy the Blu-ray instead.

And this is exactly one of my major problems with streaming and digital downloads, both rental and buying, the prices are too high compared to traditional renting or buying movies.
Kilgore likes this.
post #35 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post
What's the point of higher resolution? Isn't the stream much more compressed than the equivalent future UHD BluRay will be? I'm not talking about internet speed because all the speed in the world won't make a compressed image look as good as a less compressed image all other things being equal. I see people all the time talk about Netflix Super HD and Vudu HDX. Those have the exact same resolution as BluRay, but anyone with two eyes can see that BR is better. Why? Because it has much less compression.
Did you read the post? Ultraflix said "UltraFlix also offers users with 100 Mbps connections streaming quality identical to the new Ultra HD Blu-ray specifications." That's quite unambiguous.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #36 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Did you read the post? Ultraflix said "UltraFlix also offers users with 100 Mbps connections streaming quality identical to the new Ultra HD Blu-ray specifications." That's quite unambiguous.
Of course the company is going to make claims that support THEIR product. That is NOT evidence. That's marketing.

People with 100 Mbps connections can stream 1080p content, and yet even they cannot match Blu-ray in audio and video quality. That is fact. I don't see how it will be any different when it comes to Ultra HD streaming versus Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Remember you're talking streaming here...NOT downloading.
TSHA222, EdwinB and blu-dog-avs like this.
post #37 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Of course the company is going to make claims that support THEIR product. That is NOT evidence. That's marketing.

People with 100 Mbps connections can stream 1080p content, and yet even they cannot match Blu-ray in audio and video quality. That is fact. I don't see how it will be any different when it comes to Ultra HD streaming versus Ultra HD Blu-ray.

I think you missed the point, which is if you have sufficient bandwidth then streaming can support any level of quality. If you choose to disbelieve Ultraflix's statement about streaming actual Ultra HD Blu-ray quality, it's your prerogative and assuredly not all marketing claims turn out to be true—but that does not prove Ultraflix is making a false claim.
thehun, reallynotnick and jcr159 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #38 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Location: South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Center City Philadelphia
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to ALCOMData
Quote:
Of course, and they only drink Budweiser, and they only drive pickup trucks or Harleys, and they eat Wheaties—not Rice Crispies.
> they only drink Budweiser

Without opening the can.

The easiest (and usually cheapest) way to improve the sound of your system is to put on a better recording.
post #39 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Streaming will replace physical media. It may not be next week or next year, but it will replace it. Streaming services have gotten progressively better and once there is enough bandwidth for larger files to be transferred using little to no compression physical media won't survive. Certainly at this point in time, much of what we see in streaming isn't as good as physical media, but that can only last so long.
post #40 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Did they specify what kind of audio they were going to be offering beyond "5.1"? Pixel perfect 4K is fantastic and all but if we're not getting lossless then I don't really care. And if they can offer UHD quality at 100mbps, that's amazing!! Just imagine what gigabit will bring! However, I gotta side with the anti-streamers... I don't care about discs, though I would prefer them, but I at least want the damn file to be mine. Besides, that'd be so much wasted bandwidth if everyone was forced to go streaming.
EdwinB and Kilgore like this.
post #41 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Did they specify what kind of audio they were going to be offering beyond "5.1"? Pixel perfect 4K is fantastic and all but if we're not getting lossless then I don't really care. And if they can offer UHD quality at 100mbps, that's amazing!! Just imagine what gigabit will bring! However, I gotta side with the anti-streamers... I don't care about discs, though I would prefer them, but I at least want the damn file to be mine. Besides, that'd be so much wasted bandwidth if everyone was forced to go streaming.
Won't streaming be better all around once they start using X265?
post #42 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Even though I ridicule the lack of 5.1 (for now--hello future updates)

I bought some stocks.

Wish this company the brightest future possible!

Denon X4100W | Chane A5rx-C | Klipsch RW12d
post #43 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Of course, and they only drink Budweiser, and they only drive pickup trucks or Harleys, and they eat Wheaties—not Rice Crispies.
So relieved you put that emoticon in there because if you were serious, the Oregonian beer snob in me would die a little inside.

Speaking of Interstellar, I watched it for the first time yesterday on my ST60, streaming from Amazon and I was pleasantly surprised with the PQ for it being a stream. The movie itself was great. Nolan has really hit is stride since Batman Begins. (I found the pacing in Insomnia to be too slow and Memento was great but again, suffered from poor pacing.) Of course I had to have my AVR turned to -1.0 DB to adequately hear dialogue but I'll blame that on the loud AC. I'm definitely going to go buy the blu ray and rewatch it on the projector. It being the W1070 I'll lose some PQ I'm sure but the immersion will be top notch!

Anyways, TLDR: I found it amazing over Amazon streaming, I couldn't imagine watching it on a UHD streaming service or physical UHD media.

post #44 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course streaming is going to replace physical media... to the detriment of quality "high end" playback in the home. Ultraflix is not going to equal a physical disc in quality if Vudu HDX (and the like) vs BD is any indication. Maybe all households in the U.S. will enjoy affordable and blazing internet speeds to sustain low compression UHD streaming (by low I mean equal to compression on future UHD) and lossless audio. And maybe unicorns are real but the company isn't even doing 5.1 that's available on DVD. They are asking a lot of our (U.S.) infrastructure. I just don't see it. The only viable movies over internet system that I will fully support is full quality downloaded content that can be watched after the download has been completed. You are also going to have to get the ISPs to do away with monthly bandwidth caps. Good luck with that one.
post #45 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Of course streaming is going to replace physical media... to the detriment of quality "high end" playback in the home. Ultraflix is not going to equal a physical disc in quality if Vudu HDX (and the like) vs BD is any indication. Maybe all households in the U.S. will enjoy affordable and blazing internet speeds to sustain low compression UHD streaming (by low I mean equal to compression on future UHD) and lossless audio. And maybe unicorns are real but the company isn't even doing 5.1 that's available on DVD. They are asking a lot of our (U.S.) infrastructure. I just don't see it. The only viable movies over internet system that I will fully support is full quality downloaded content that can be watched after the download has been completed. You are also going to have to get the ISPs to do away with monthly bandwidth caps. Good luck with that one.
Vudu UHD/4K streams with Dolby Atmos are literally weeks away. I saw the content—the actual Vudu encodes—when I was in NY at a Vizio event. This is why I look forward to a proper Blu-ray vs. UHD Vudu comparison sooner rather than later. 1080p streaming formats are not an indication of what's to come. Don't forget, Blu-ray was around for quite a while before 1080p streaming came along and challenged it. But now, the disc-based and cloud-based UHD/4K formats are launching at approximately the same time.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #46 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Once in a while some members here crack me up. In some of these comments it sounds like the provider messed up a long lasting service; how dare they? Seriously, this is in its infancy and will certainly have some restrictions in the first couple of weeks/months. The problem with the sound might rather be a TV software problem. We had these before. Some TV software doesn't let the 5.1 come out through HDMI, only stereo.
On another note, I am glad that the streaming look very decent. I would sign up too. Now it is just the question, whether I could watch this stuff on my UHD monitor as well.
In case someone misunderstood: ...How dare they?... was meant for the service providers, not for the members here.
post #47 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't forget, Blu-ray was around for quite a while before 1080p streaming came along and challenged it. But now, the disc-based and cloud-based UHD/4K formats are launching at approximately the same time.
I would not exactly describe 1080p streaming as a challenge to BD. It's no contest. BD wins hands down. I watch on a 16' wide, scope screen so maybe I'm more critical. But the one major obstacle to discless distribution is data caps. That is not something Ultraflix or Vudu or any other service has any control over. I watch on a
blu-dog-avs likes this.
post #48 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
On another note, I am glad that the streaming look very decent.
Call me crazy but very decent won't cut it for me.
Kilgore and blu-dog-avs like this.
post #49 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I would not exactly describe 1080p streaming as a challenge to BD. It's no contest. BD wins hands down. I watch on a 16' wide, scope screen so maybe I'm more critical. But the one major obstacle to discless distribution is data caps. That is not something Ultraflix or Vudu or any other service has any control over. I watch on a
It's just semantics. When I say challenge, I mean economically—winning the fight for people's disposable income. Streaming is on the rise, discs are on the decline.

As for quality, yeah it's true the streaming services never managed to fully match Blu-ray. But they improved over time and now can come quite close IMO. Stream Star Wars episode IV in Vudu HDX to see how good 1080p online delivery can look.
bargervais likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #50 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's just semantics. When I say challenge, I mean economically—winning the fight for people's disposable income. Streaming is on the rise, discs are on the decline.

As for quality, yeah it's true the streaming services never managed to fully match Blu-ray. But they improved over time and now can come quite close IMO. Stream Star Wars episode IV in Vudu HDX to see how good 1080p online delivery can look.
Two things. (1) As good as it may look, it's not as good as the BluRay. Granted I haven't watched it but I'd bet my house. (2) If I watch Star Wars it's not going to be the "special editions" but rather Harmy's Despecialized fan restoration but that's a whole 'nother can of worms
Kilgore likes this.

Last edited by TSHA222; 08-14-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Who cares
post #51 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So we have the available bandwidth across this country to provide at a reasonable cost high speed internet at 100mbps? We'll have in the next couple years? I don't expect streaming UHD content to be the main source for content.

The quality and format options of the audio provided is very important. From polls taken from the forums here, resolution is not the most important part of UHD. So claims to provide the same image as UHD Blu-ray without HDR or the color improvements seems interesting to me.

I applaud the early adopters of UHD for pioneering the new gear and content delivery. I'm not buying that I'll be streaming UHD over buying a physical disc. Not until it provides an equal apples to apples picture and sound. At that point it has a benefit of not having to care for and house the disc in my home.
TSHA222 and Kilgore like this.
post #52 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefswg View Post
So we have the available bandwidth across this country to provide at a reasonable cost high speed internet at 100mbps? We'll have in the next couple years? I don't expect streaming UHD content to be the main source for content.

The quality and format options of the audio provided is very important. From polls taken from the forums here, resolution is not the most important part of UHD. So claims to provide the same image as UHD Blu-ray without HDR or the color improvements seems interesting to me.

I applaud the early adopters of UHD for pioneering the new gear and content delivery. I'm not buying that I'll be streaming UHD over buying a physical disc. Not until it provides an equal apples to apples picture and sound. At that point it has a benefit of not having to care for and house the disc in my home.
I don't know. Is the country fully upgraded to 85" UHDTVs situated 8 feet or less from the viewing position along with everybody having pre-ordered Ultra HD BD machines? The truth is the market for UHD/4K content is small by virtue of the limited amoundt of UHD/4K out there at the moment. The market for UHD/4K content consists mostly of people who can afford decent broadband service, and probably consider paying for it no different than paying for water and electricity.

I wonder what will be more common a year from now: Homes with 100+ Mbps Internet service and some sort of access to Vudu 4K, MGO 4K, Sony 4K, Ultraflix 4K, Netflix 4K, Amazon 4K, and who knows what else (hello Roku 4)... or a homes with a brand-new UHD/4K disc player and a shelf full of the new discs. I'm genuinely interested in the answer to that question.
thehun likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #53 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
I wonder what will be more common a year from now: Homes with 100+ Mbps Internet service and some sort of access to Vudu 4K, MGO 4K, Sony 4K, Ultraflix 4K, Netflix 4K, Amazon 4K, and who knows what else (hello Roku 4)... or a homes with a brand-new UHD/4K disc player and a shelf full of the new discs. I'm genuinely interested in the answer to that question.
I'd say the former will be the most common but for the majority of us here? definitely the latter.

One thing to note is while 100mbps may not be that affordable for a lot of people, I'd wager some sum of money those people aren't early adopters of new technology or have 4K. Of course with 4K prices dropping, that will likely change in the next few months. Although, for 49.99 you can get 105 Mbps from Comcast which is pretty reasonable.
TSHA222 likes this.

Last edited by Lethean; 08-14-2015 at 01:47 PM.
post #54 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am not anti-streaming but I am anti sub-par quality end result streaming. I also have a little trepidation about having to depend on solely my ISP for a glitch free viewing experience in my home theater room. I hope physical media doesn't go away but I'm sure it definitely will sooner or later.
post #55 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I'd say the former will be the most common but for the majority of us here? definitely the latter.

One thing to note is while 100mbps may not be that affordable for a lot of people, I'd wager some sum of money those people aren't early adopters of new technology or have 4K. Of course with 4K prices dropping, that will likely change in the next few months. Although, for 49.99 you can get 105 Mbps from Comcast which is pretty reasonable.
My conversations with retailers don't leave me feeling encouraged that there's enough of a market out there for the format to thrive. HD Blu-ray will still exist and that alone will pose a challenge to the new format.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #56 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
as for quality, yeah it's true the streaming services never managed to fully match blu-ray.
The end.
TSHA222 and blu-dog-avs like this.
post #57 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Is the country fully upgraded to 85" UHDTVs situated 8 feet or less from the viewing position along with everybody having pre-ordered Ultra HD BD machines? The truth is the market for UHD/4K content is small by virtue of the limited amoundt of UHD/4K out there at the moment. The market for UHD/4K content consists mostly of people who can afford decent broadband service, and probably consider paying for it no different than paying for water and electricity.

Mark firstly I appreciate what you are doing here and value having someone with experience with these new products/services giving their hands on opinions. My experience with internet service is far from the norm. I pay two to three times what people in larger cities pay for far less. I'm paying over $100.00 per month for a 2mb dsl connection and another $25 for the land line that I'd otherwise not have with cell phones who needs it. Now there are people who have 10mb cable internet here but their paying similar prices.

I don't have experience with how you guys are making due with 100mb connections in the big city but I've always found that you can have some serious bog downs at peak times as usually there is a bottle neck somewhere to prevent getting 100% throughput 100% of the time. My experience is that services like Netflix do a good job scaling the quality back to allow the stream to continue uninterrupted. I'd think this happens even in the big cities with 100mb connections streaming UHD video.

If the population is more apt to go the easy path and stream than so be it. But if I'm looking for quality above convenience I can't see as how streaming will be the preference in my household.
TSHA222 and Kilgore like this.
post #58 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Mark firstly I appreciate what you are doing here and value having someone with experience with these new products/services giving their hands on opinions. My experience with internet service is far from the norm. I pay two to three times what people in larger cities pay for far less. I'm paying over $100.00 per month for a 2mb dsl connection and another $25 for the land line that I'd otherwise not have with cell phones who needs it. Now there are people who have 10mb cable internet here but their paying similar prices.

I don't have experience with how you guys are making due with 100mb connections in the big city but I've always found that you can have some serious bog downs at peak times as usually there is a bottle neck somewhere to prevent getting 100% throughput 100% of the time. My experience is that services like Netflix do a good job scaling the quality back to allow the stream to continue uninterrupted. I'd think this happens even in the big cities with 100mb connections streaming UHD video.

If the population is more apt to go the easy path and stream than so be it. But if I'm looking for quality above convenience I can't see as how streaming will be the preference in my household.
I would simply suggest that for the vast majority of people, the wide selection and attractive pricing of HD Blu-ray will mean that the format sticks around for a while... To Ultra HD Blu-ray's detriment. I'm not sure there is a tremendous thirst for an expensive disc based format with limited selection that become available weeks after the cloud-based releases.

As for Netflix throttling, a subscription streaming service is something different from cloud-based rental or purchase.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #59 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I would simply suggest that for the vast majority of people, the wide selection and attractive pricing of HD Blu-ray will mean that the format sticks around for a while... To Ultra HD Blu-ray's detriment. I'm not sure there is a tremendous thirst for an expensive disc based format with limited selection that become available weeks after the cloud-based releases.

As for Netflix throttling, a subscription streaming service is something different from cloud-based rental or purchase.
So where as Netflix adjusts (throttles) the stream to match the available bandwidth a cloud based service doesn't? If the customer has a 100mb connection and experiences a drop than the stream buffers or becomes unplayable? Are you downloading the entire movie before you watch onto a hard drive? I'm just curious because I'm apparently so backwoods I can't comprehend having 100mb streaming uninterrupted into my home 24/7.
post #60 of 133 Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
So where as Netflix adjusts (throttles) the stream to match the available bandwidth a cloud based service doesn't? If the customer has a 100mb connection and experiences a drop than the stream buffers or becomes unplayable? Are you downloading the entire movie before you watch onto a hard drive? I'm just curious because I'm apparently so backwoods I can't comprehend having 100mb streaming uninterrupted into my home 24/7.
Yes. Well, sort of. If there is a bandwidth issue, and it's not unheard of, then Vudu stops the movie and asks if you want to try to continue at that quality level. It will not simply downgrade the stream without asking. Interruptions due to insufficient bandwidth are rare for me.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage , interstellar , uhd , ultraflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page