Streaming Interstellar in UHD with UltraFlix - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #121 of 133 Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I want UHD/4K Bluray at my local Redbox for $1.50 rental fee. Taking the "Over/Under" on this at three years....
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
dnoonie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
Public service announcement:

@blu-dog-avs, just wanted to point out that without the use of emoticons, or formatting, your tone comes off fairly harsh, grating, pretentious, condescending, etc...

I don't use emoticons. Thankfully, I'm a fast typist, and use words, not cartoons.

Quote:
I don't know if you actually intend to come across as such, or if I'm mis-representing what you are writing. but it doesn't appear that you leave much room for tolerance for anyone's views but your own...

This is an expensive industry, run by people who (like us), put their pants on one leg at a time. However, unlike us, they check their wallets first.

I think this is where I'm supposed to apologize for being a curmudgeon, but I'm not interested. The industry is much larger than myself, and will blunder along tossing out junk to see who will buy it. I've been around for a long time, and have purchased both excellent offerings, and absolute junk that's been overhyped

I don't like hype. I have little reason to encourage others to get involved with it.

Quote:
I think there's great value here in what Mark was able to test and write up. Thanks Mark, as always, much appreciated.

Mark is quite honest, and evenhanded in his approach to gear and methods of dissemination - be it Klipsch speakers (very interesting threads, there - go look them up) and this latest method of handing out content. Since you are interested in decency and evenhandedness, please don't characterize my statements - emoticons or not - as non-appreciation for his efforts.

After all, he didn't start this method of handing out content; he is simply reporting on it. I read his notes on this with interest, and saw right away that renting a movie for $10 - sans high end audio, and any of the features of UHD - as more of the same old rushed hustling of content.

The usual tradition of presenting some stunted version of media content does not spur me to shout about how great it is, followed by emoticons and exclamation points.

Quote:
At a minimum, it looks like one could get a roughly blu ray quality experience using Ultraflix (caveat: assuming bandwidth/hiccups and audio bugs are fixed). By "roughly" I mean it can be slightly better, slightly worse, or about the same as a whole...

In 2-channel stereo? This was a rush job, and will not improve unless curmudgeons like myself howl like someone stuck hot needles in their ears. The industry is already "dumbing down" content to match hideous imitations of real content and delivery (see soundbars for detail) and reviews of new televisions laud things like "really good speakers" on televisions. I know their is an audience for such gimmicks, and wireless transmission of speaker sound is a nascent art without consideration of little things like electrical power to speakers, but there are limits.

Much needed is a reasonably priced alternative involving streaming, which this is an attempt to do, but it falls short of common sense. What is needed is a practical method of downloading content - a programmable dongle is an absurdly easy and inexpensive method - but the industry claims that such methods are too expensive (a flat-out mistruth), and that the Great Unwashed Public will be happy to spend huge amounts of money on faster, metered bandwidth, expensive routers (wireless or not), and hammered content without sound modes or UHD features.

If you applaud such efforts, you haven't thought it through. I have. Thus my "fairly harsh, grating, etc." statements. I've been around the block a few times.

Quote:
Whether the value proposition is there is a personal choice. If one has the bandwidth and the means, it might be worth it to stream. That's a preference kind of thing. And as Mark tried to point out, the choice of streaming vs. disc may move toward a preference decision vs. a quality decision like it is today...

The fantasy that this is a matter of choice is persistent. You are a consumer. Demand excellence, and you'll get it. Cheerlead for half-measure, and half-measures you shall receive.

Quote:
Though based on Mark's previous testing, there are a lot of cases where current streaming and downloads are compelling enough vs their blu ray counterparts. That's why I made the mp3 argument earlier, though apparently that was an excuse to lambast my skills as a parent. Thanks for that...

A six-year-old throwing DVD's like Frisbees? At six, my sons were using BB guns as preliminary training in firearms usage (very formal - actual range training). Both are Army officers today, after graduating from West Point. I hope your boy isn't doing that in class - it's the first grade, after all.

They've been free to use my equipment - whatever I own - from the time they were tots, to the time they went away to college, and beyond. I do consider myself to be fortunate, and I don't think being a juvenile problem to be cute. It was not meant as a criticism of you, or your child. I apologize for offending you - I'm sensitive about my own boys.

Just don't allow half-measures in home theater to thrive. It's too easy to do it right. Trust me on this.
post #123 of 133 Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I want UHD/4K Bluray at my local Redbox for $1.50 rental fee. Taking the "Over/Under" on this at three years....
Didn't the price of Bluray increase at redbox? I swear I use to pay $1.39 and it is closer to $2 now.

It is good to hear about the streaming quality, but over a 100mbps connection is very rare and internet prices are only going up as people "cut the cord"

I wonder how big of an improvement physical UHD content will provide over the stream/current bluray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 133 Old 01-01-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't find Interstellar on Ultraflix. P70 here.
post #125 of 133 Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Didn't the price of Bluray increase at redbox? I swear I use to pay $1.39 and it is closer to $2 now.

It is good to hear about the streaming quality, but over a 100mbps connection is very rare and internet prices are only going up as people "cut the cord"

I wonder how big of an improvement physical UHD content will provide over the stream/current bluray.
There are already a few UHD HDR movies out that use bit rates as high as 100 Mbps, though you'll only get that quality as a download currently. If you were to compare Life of Pi or Exodus: Gods and Kings UHD HDR downloads to the quality you get when you stream the same movie from M-Go, that will probably give you a rough idea of the initial picture quality difference between Ultra HD Blu-Ray (which would match the high bitrate download) and 15-20 Mbps UHD streaming.

That said, I don't think either of these movies fully realize the potential quality we will see from UHD HDR content. Most people point at Smurfs 2 (UHD HDR stream) as being one of the best examples of UHD HDR content available today (strictly in terms of picture quality). Digital UHD HDR video cameras are still fairly new, as is the HDR grading process. I suspect that it will take a few years before we see the full potential of UHD HDR content. If I had to guess, I'd say that for the first 3 years of its existence, the gap between Ultra HD Blu-Ray and UHD streaming will remain steady with both making improvements. At that point, Ultra HD Blu-Ray quality will be close to maxed out and streaming will begin to close the gap again (as it has with HD content). 5 years from now, it will likely be difficult to tell the difference (provided you have the bandwidth to stream full quality).

To me, the real question is whether or not downloads continue to max out at 100 Mbps (same quality as Ultra HD Blu-Ray) so that they can use a single mastering, grading, and compression process for both formats or if they will actually be allowed to surpass Ultra HD Blu-Ray quality.

The other aspect to consider is audio quality/immersion. Thus far, all indications are that Ultra HD Blu-Ray will continue to use the same lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio) that is used on current Blu-Ray and the same titles will offer immersive audio (either Dolby Atmos or DTS-X) on both physical formats. In other words, it will stay the same as it is now with the exception that a greater percentage of movies will use immersive audio in both formats than currently do.

Meanwhile, streaming content and downloads will (in most cases) continue to use lossy Dolby Digital Plus, which means no real improvement in audio quality from HD streaming. On the other hand, you will see an improvement in immersion as none of the streaming providers are including Atmos or DTS-X in HD streams, but will do so in UHD streams. Of coarse there will be exceptions like K-scape, which will should provide the same lossless audio you get on discs, as a download.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 01-04-2016 at 07:15 AM.
post #126 of 133 Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Still waiting on that Game of Thrones Bluray vs iTunes vs VUDU comparison @imagic tbh
post #127 of 133 Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
There are already a few UHD HDR movies out that use bit rates as high as 100 Mbps, though you'll only get that quality as a download currently. If you were to compare Life of Pi or Exodus: Gods and Kings UHD HDR downloads to the quality you get when you stream the same movie from M-Go, that will probably give you a rough idea of the initial picture quality difference between Ultra HD Blu-Ray (which would match the high bitrate download) and 15-20 Mbps UHD streaming.
Can you give more details? Is there a download service out there? I thought Kaleidescape is/was the only download service and that their 4K service is not up and running yet.
PaulKohler likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #128 of 133 Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Can you give more details? Is there a download service out there? I thought Kaleidescape is/was the only download service and that their 4K service is not up and running yet.
If you have a Samsung UHD TV (either 2015 model or a 2014 model with the upgraded OCB/Evolution Kit) there is a built-in app called M-Go that offers UHD HDR titles from Fox Studios, including Life of Pi, Exodus: Gods & Kings, The Kingsmen, etc. They offer both rental and purchase options. Rentals can only be streamed. But, for purchases, you have the option to either stream or download. In order to download the movie, you must connect the Samsung UHD pack (or another SCSA-approved HDD, compatible with Vidity encryption) to either the OCB or the TV itself. The movie files are approx. 100GB and the UHD packs only hold 500GB (there might be a 1TB version now), so you won't be able to store very many movies at present. Hopefully someone will release larger compatible drives and enable playback of the files over your home network, soon. Currently, the files can only be played back via. direct USB 3.0 connection to the Samsung TV that is registered on the account which made the purchase from M-Go.

The downloaded version uses video bit rates as high as 100Mbps (HEVC), so the video quality should be the same as Ultra HD Blu-Ray. However, audio quality is another matter. I'm not sure if the downloads themselves only include lossy quality audio or if they could give you the same lossless audio quality as Blu-Ray. However, because the files can only be played back by the TV and there is no way to get lossless audio quality out of a TV (neither HDMI ARC nor optical audio have the bandwidth necessary), the best you can actually send to your sound system is DVD-quality DD, DTS, or stereo PCM audio.

There is speculation that the Samsung Ultra HD Blu-Ray player might also support downloading UHD HDR movies from M-Go to an attached UHD pack and be used to play back those files. If so, then it is theoretically possible to support lossless quality multichannel audio. However, most Blu-Ray players don't support either decoding or bit-streaming of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from anything other than a physical disc, so that could be a potential snag.

There are other 4K download services as well, such as Sony's PlayStation Video (formerly Sony Video Unlimited), which requires one of Sony's 4K media players, but they don't use video bit rates nearly as high as what M-Go and Ultra HD Blu-Ray do. YouTube gives you the option to upload and download 4K (and even 8K) videos, but we're not talking Hollywood movies here.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 01-15-2016 at 06:49 AM.
post #129 of 133 Old 01-29-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I can't log into Ultraflix app on my Samsung it keeps telling me invalid user name or password. When I go to there site I can log in.
post #130 of 133 Old 02-08-2016, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Streaming's Audio Quality

You should do a review of a Dolby Atmos movie on Vudu vs. a Blu-ray w/Dolby Atmos. How does Dolby Atmos get sent over HDMI ARC?
post #131 of 133 Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Patel View Post
You should do a review of a Dolby Atmos movie on Vudu vs. a Blu-ray w/Dolby Atmos. How does Dolby Atmos get sent over HDMI ARC?
See here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...-hdmi-arc.html

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #132 of 133 Old 03-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Turning this thread into a zombie...

I can't find this title in 4K anywhere, including ultraflix. I would think if it was once available in 4K, then it would be somewhere?

Anyone have any tips? I would pay an irresonsible amount of money on this title in 4K, especially if it was DV or HDR10
post #133 of 133 Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage , interstellar , uhd , ultraflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version