*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #271 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
I cast Deezer Elite from my laptop.
On both my Android phone and my Android tablet, the Deezer app does not have the cast button in the top right corner. If you look at the screenshot Deezer has on Google Play, the pictures show the button. It simply is not on the app that I have on my devices.

I've tried contacting Deezer customer support but my experience with them has been pretty terrible. Last time I contacted them it took weeks for a response which was a generic, unhelpful reply.

I guess I'm returning the CCA since Deezer on Android won't play nice with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
Google Play, the pictures show the button. It simply is not on the app that I have on my devices.

Do you have the Chromecast App installed as well? I don't think it shows anywhere unless that app is installed.
post #273 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 View Post
Just wondering what apps people are using to stream music stored on their computer or nas via CCA. I'm currently using Plex, but is there a better option?
Plex works best for me. I think I tried the Pulsar music player app and though it was pretty decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
On both my Android phone and my Android tablet, the Deezer app does not have the cast button in the top right corner. If you look at the screenshot Deezer has on Google Play, the pictures show the button. It simply is not on the app that I have on my devices.

I've tried contacting Deezer customer support but my experience with them has been pretty terrible. Last time I contacted them it took weeks for a response which was a generic, unhelpful reply.

I guess I'm returning the CCA since Deezer on Android won't play nice with it.
I have the Deezer Music app on my Kindle fire that I have the Google play Store on. I have the cast button in the app. But I have Deezer Elite.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Nvidea Shield Pro / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD/
post #275 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Do you have the Chromecast App installed as well? I don't think it shows anywhere unless that app is installed.
I assume you mean the Google Cast app? Yes, I do. I needed that app to set up the CCA. The button appears in Google Play Music and Tunein, but not Deezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
I have the Deezer Music app on my Kindle fire that I have the Google play Store on. I have the cast button in the app. But I have Deezer Elite.
I have Deezer Premium+. I don't think I can get Deezer Elite in Canada.
post #276 of 880 Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have what you have, Deezer Premium+ and the Google Cast app installed and the cast icon shows up on my Deezer.
Try rebooting the phone and/or the CCA. In the last couple weeks the cast icon in Deezer has been a little finicky.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #277 of 880 Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
I have what you have, Deezer Premium+ and the Google Cast app installed and the cast icon shows up on my Deezer.
Try rebooting the phone and/or the CCA. In the last couple weeks the cast icon in Deezer has been a little finicky.

I've rebooted both, uninstalled and reinstalled Deezer a couple times, and still nothing.

What version of Deezer do you have?
post #278 of 880 Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 AM

5.3.2.90. I'm actually installing that update as I type this.
Not home to check the functionality though.

post #279 of 880 Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
5.3.2.90. I'm actually installing that update as I type this.
Not home to check the functionality though.

I have the same version, must have been updated when I uninstalled and reinstalled Deezer yesterday. Still no cast button.
post #280 of 880 Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM

The cast button does not show on the home tab. It will show on the music tab or when you start playback.

post #281 of 880 Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM

I was looking for it on the playback screen. Start playing a song, go to the "now playing" screen, and it's supposed to be in the top right corner. But, the only button there is the settings for the equalizer.

I got a response from Deezer Support and it was a canned response on playing Deezer through Chromecast (the HDMI one, not Chromecast Audio). It was a useless response, as I expected.

Now I am debating getting rid of Deezer and going with Google Play Music - I see they have a family plan that looks appealing.
post #282 of 880 Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys 2 questions :
I understand that google cast is made to stream online audio but is it possible to cast music stored locally on my phone ?
I was also wondering, can it handle 24 bit audio files ?
Thx
post #283 of 880 Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert77 View Post
Hey guys 2 questions :
I understand that google cast is made to stream online audio but is it possible to cast music stored locally on my phone ?
It probably depends a bit on your phone, but I can do it with an LG V10. If your phone has Miracast abilities it probably works, and I'm pretty sure there are apps that can pick up the slack if you don't natively have the capability.

Quote:
I was also wondering, can it handle 24 bit audio files ?
I tested this with a minitoslink to my receiver.

When I cast from my server via Plex app the answer was yes. It bitstreamed the hi-res audio and my receiver noted it as such. When I tried doing it from my phone directly somewhere in the signal chain it was compressed down. That seems more like a limitation of my phone's Miracast implementation.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #284 of 880 Old 05-13-2016, 06:53 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks, I have a Samsung GS6, Miracast should work I guess. I'll have to see about 24bit being compressed.
Ok, I think I'll just buy it and report back ;-)
Again thanks a lot for your quick reply.
post #285 of 880 Old 05-13-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If the google play app doesn't do what you need, try other chromecast compatible music players like Pulsar Music Player or Rocket Music Player. Of course you need the chromecast app installed first.
post #286 of 880 Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Liked: 10
Connectivity sketchy

I have 2 chromecast audios attached to 2 powered speakers. I setup an additional router close to the speakers so the wifi signal wouldn't be an issue.

I cast from my Android phone or tablet which is on wifi (same router as Chromecasts).

Sometimes it works fine. Fairly often though, I can't see one or both of the Chromecasts when I click the cast icon (typically from Google Play Music).

If I reboot the phone or turn wifi on/off, typically then it works.

It also seems to lose the connection from my phone sometimes. By that I mean the music keeps playing on the speaker, but it is not in sync with what is on my phone.

I am thinking it has to be a wifi signal issue, but I get 5/5 bars on my phone.
post #287 of 880 Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Streaming "live" audio to CCAs?

I currently have an inexpensive whole house audio setup... Google Music -> Google Cast -> (grouped)ChromeCast Audios <CCAs> -> Anker SoundCore speakers. This works pretty well for my purposes and has a great price point (~$60/room).

My wife has a large collection of (older) CDs and tapes and simply wants to "play" these from our compact stereo...out to the whole-house setup. We don't want the hassle of ripping her entire collection and she enjoys shopping the thrift stores for new additions and doesn't like the idea of a subscription/purchase of new streaming material.

I've scoured the boards a bit to see if there is some kind of <fairly easy> solution (perhaps based on RaspPi or some other cheap/small platform) to go from a "live" digitized stereo input stream to something that can be directly cast to the CCAs with a minimum of fuss. I'm picturing something she could turn on when she powers up the stereo and then control from her smartphone or some other simple controller. I'm reasonably technically savvy but have NO experience with a lot of the RaspPi / Streaming technologies.
post #288 of 880 Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM

For these wireless whole home audio solutions not all off them support sending external audio, some are limited to audio from the app(s). DTS Play-Fi has this limitation. Logitech Squeezebox also cannot do this.

Sonos has a way to transmit and sync your own external source and I think the recent Yamaha MusicCast has it too.

The feature is not trivial to do and CCA does not have it at this time. You will have to digitize (if its an analogue source) and encode the audio stream in real time, transmit it reliably and in sync to all targets, and have them decode and play in sync. Factoring latency and buffering issues of the targets relative to the live encoder.

I looked into this last year and ended up running wire upstairs to get audio around the house.

I hope you find something workable.
post #289 of 880 Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
For these wireless whole home audio solutions not all off them support sending external audio, some are limited to audio from the app(s). DTS Play-Fi has this limitation. Logitech Squeezebox also cannot do this.

Sonos has a way to transmit and sync your own external source and I think the recent Yamaha MusicCast has it too.

The feature is not trivial to do and CCA does not have it at this time. You will have to digitize (if its an analogue source) and encode the audio stream in real time, transmit it reliably and in sync to all targets, and have them decode and play in sync. Factoring latency and buffering issues of the targets relative to the live encoder.

I looked into this last year and ended up running wire upstairs to get audio around the house.

I hope you find something workable.
As a follow up to my post above, it looks like some folks have a Raspberry Pi configured to cast directly to CCAs (using DarkIce/IceCast I believe) while others seem to be able to digitize audio streams using similar RaspPi hardware ... but I wasn't seeing anyone that had glued ALL of the various pieces together with enough step-by-step details that a newbie like me could understand.
rmjb likes this.
post #290 of 880 Old 07-04-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I was looking for it on the playback screen. Start playing a song, go to the "now playing" screen, and it's supposed to be in the top right corner. But, the only button there is the settings for the equalizer.

I got a response from Deezer Support and it was a canned response on playing Deezer through Chromecast (the HDMI one, not Chromecast Audio). It was a useless response, as I expected.

Now I am debating getting rid of Deezer and going with Google Play Music - I see they have a family plan that looks appealing.
I know this is a few months old, but if you or anyone else is still having problems try reaching out to @Deezer Help on twitter, I did that recently for a CCA issue and got a reply.
post #291 of 880 Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I know this is a few months old, but if you or anyone else is still having problems try reaching out to @Deezer Help on twitter, I did that recently for a CCA issue and got a reply.
I did contact Deezer support (not on Twitter) and their response was "you should have the cast button", and after a few back and forth emails, I got "sorry, can't help you".
post #292 of 880 Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Optical into Denon AVR590 or Schiit Modi 2 uber

Using the Chromecast Audio Monkey UPnP app to BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA on Samsung Avant. The CCA audio is connected via mini-toslink > toslink to optical input [OPT-2/DVR] on Denon AVR-590. FLAC files sound fantastic through my 5.1 Signet [speakers] system.

Should SQ be improved if I by-pass the ADAU1328 chip in the Denon [2 ADC/8 DAC with PLL, 192 kHz, 24-Bit Codec] with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC that uses the AK4490 chip?
post #293 of 880 Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothAudio View Post
U
Should SQ be improved if I by-pass the ADAU1328 chip in the Denon [2 ADC/8 DAC with PLL, 192 kHz, 24-Bit Codec] with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC that uses the AK4490 chip?
IMHO, the chip won't make an audible difference in and of itself. The downstream analog components from the chip output are the difference makers, and depending on how well they match up you might be able to hear some difference, but whether that represents and improvement or just simply a difference is the real question, one I wouldn't attempt to answer.

If it sounds good, don't try to fix it.
post #294 of 880 Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Thanks Dan. I've only used the CCA in my HT system through my Denon AVR-590. I received the Schiit Modi 2 Uber dac today and so far have to admit I'm disappointed. Hate to say it but what I find lacking more than anything was the surround. I prefer the CCA>mini-toslink - toslink>Denon over the CCA>mini-toslink - toslink>Schiit>Denon.

Never thought that I would say that.
post #295 of 880 Old 07-07-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It doesn't mean the DAC isn't top notch, it just might mean it doesn't match well with your Denon.
post #296 of 880 Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM

As you noted above, analog input into an AVR is first digitized. This is for digital signal processing within the unit then finally out through the AVR's DAC.

Were you able to bypass this circuit in the Denon? If not you have the Schiit converting the music to analog only to have it re-digitized as it enters the Denon, and the Denon DAC always in use either way.

post #297 of 880 Old 07-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
As you noted above, analog input into an AVR is first digitized. This is for digital signal processing within the unit then finally out through the AVR's DAC.

Were you able to bypass this circuit in the Denon? If not you have the Schiit converting the music to analog only to have it re-digitized as it enters the Denon, and the Denon DAC always in use either way.

There's a Direct / Pure mode that bypasses the Audyssey program that digitalizes the signal. This is only day two, less than 25 hours on the DAC, I'll reserve judgement for another week or so and then A/B vs the [original setup] optical input, with the external DAC out of the loop..
post #298 of 880 Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Other Devices grouping with CCA?

I really like the group function of the CCA. It even works *most* of the time. There are some other devices out there that are CCA compatible, however I found out the hard way that you can only cast to them, not to the other CCA's.
Anyone else have luck grouping with other devices yet? I tried with the Sony SRXS77 - the Cast function works only in solo. :-( Sony Receivers are also chromecast ready, but I assume the same is true for them.
post #299 of 880 Old 07-19-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkruse View Post
I really like the group function of the CCA. It even works *most* of the time. There are some other devices out there that are CCA compatible, however I found out the hard way that you can only cast to them, not to the other CCA's.
Anyone else have luck grouping with other devices yet? I tried with the Sony SRXS77 - the Cast function works only in solo. :-( Sony Receivers are also chromecast ready, but I assume the same is true for them.
If you're asking if other Google Cast capable devices (such as an original Chromecast, for example) can be grouped in with CCA's for Whole Home Audio, I unfortunately believe that feature has not yet been enabled... sure would be nice. I have two original chromecasts and four Android TV boxes (with Google Cast built-in).

But the price-per-CCA was/is so cheap, I decided not to wait. I went out and bought four CCA's, and connected them to all four systems that I would want grouped into a Whole Home Solution... which I believe was Google's plan all along, by not enabling other Google Cast devices to be grouped in... and it worked. They got me.

Whole-home-audio, for $140 (maximum) to four separate sources? I couldn't resist...
dkkruse likes this.
post #300 of 880 Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt we will ever be able to group existing regular chrome-cast devices with CCA, they are more different than one might guess. Maybe the next generation of chromecasts will be designed with that capability in mind. I suppose some cast-enabled devices could get it, but it would take a firmware upgrade which would be the responsibility of the manufacturer, so I wouldn't count on that either.

I use the group function quite often, now with my 3 CCAs. Just connected some outdoor speakers two weeks ago, unfortunately its been too freakin hot to sit out back and enjoy them.
dkkruse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page