*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #331 of 880 Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
A different interconnect will likely be a waste of money and make zero difference. A DAC might help, depends on what you get and how well it matches your system. The DAC in the CCA is pretty good when set to high resolution audio. I'd try some local sources and others to decide just how good my quality is. Best is to stream a local FLAC file or other CD quality file and see how that sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 880 Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
A different interconnect will likely be a waste of money and make zero difference. A DAC might help, depends on what you get and how well it matches your system. The DAC in the CCA is pretty good when set to high resolution audio. I'd try some local sources and others to decide just how good my quality is. Best is to stream a local FLAC file or other CD quality file and see how that sounds.
Thanks very much for fast reply - being new to the whole streaming thing I get lost in the file format issue and all the variables that seem to exist.

Thanks again.
post #333 of 880 Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi all. Is there any difference between "audio mirroring" and proper native casting from an app, in terms of sampling and bitrate. I.e. does the audio mirroring function support full 24/96 streaming? I use VLC Media player and use the audio mirroring feature and I'm hoping that since casting isn't yet supported in that app, that it isn't downsampling using the audio mirroring function. Has anyone been able to test it? Many thanks

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 880 Old 08-26-2016, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em84 View Post
Hi all. Is there any difference between "audio mirroring" and proper native casting from an app, in terms of sampling and bitrate. I.e. does the audio mirroring function support full 24/96 streaming?
Good question. I've been trying to figure that out myself and haven't found an answer. The answer may be hardware centric, that is whatever is cast is the same stream that would be sent to the hardware DAC, which 'could' be limited to whatever that DAC can decode. All speculation on my part, so maybe someone can chime in give a real answer.
Em84 likes this.
post #335 of 880 Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em84 View Post
Hi all. Is there any difference between "audio mirroring" and proper native casting from an app, in terms of sampling and bitrate. I.e. does the audio mirroring function support full 24/96 streaming? I use VLC Media player and use the audio mirroring feature and I'm hoping that since casting isn't yet supported in that app, that it isn't downsampling using the audio mirroring function. Has anyone been able to test it? Many thanks

This is just an anecdote from my experience:

When I connect my CCA to the receiver optically and use Plex as the transport app the receiver reports the 24/96 signal. But when I use LG's Miracast implementation on my phone's built in music player (which does support HRA) to play the same file the CCA reports that it has been down-sampled.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #336 of 880 Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
This is just an anecdote from my experience:

When I connect my CCA to the receiver optically and use Plex as the transport app the receiver reports the 24/96 signal. But when I use LG's Miracast implementation on my phone's built in music player (which does support HRA) to play the same file the CCA reports that it has been down-sampled.
Hi mate, thanks but in this case you're comparing optical vs Miracast? I'm not sure if Miracast supports 24/96 though?

But in my case I'm comparing proper Chromecast casting at 24/96 vs Chromecast Audio Mirroring.

Hmmm not much info out on the net either. If I had an amp that told me the input bitrate and sampling rate (from the Chromecast optical output ) I could test it out. Does anyone have an amp that has this function and could test?

Many thanks again

post #337 of 880 Old 08-31-2016, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi, I'm trying to setup Chromecast Audio across my flat, but running into a few teething issues. They're nothing to do with the CA's themselves, I've set them up and they are running fine.

My main goal is to have sound as soon as I get into the flat, I really don't want to go into every room turning on every individual bluetooth speaker (which is what I have to do right now). So is there anyway I can fill my whole flat with music as soon as I get home? In one area, I have a Kitsound Bluetooth speaker (which although not at the absolute apex of hi-fidelity) works fine for filling small rooms, and has an "always on" switch. Any alternatives to this?

My second problem is how can I get music in my bathroom without paying an engineer to drill through walls and install ceiling speakers (which isn't possible in my flat). The only way I can think of doing it is installing a shelf (away from any sinks) and having a Kitsound speaker with a CA running off a battery pack. Does this work for anyone else? Or any other ideas?

I've looked into powered speakers, etc but when you add up all the costs I might as well have just gone with Sonos (and I'd prefer to stay within the Google ecosystem for now, I think the CA's are a very affordable and great product).

Many thanks for any help.

============
Main System: Sony KD-55XE9305 4K HDR TV | Sony STR-DN1050 AV Amp | Cambridge Audio Minx S225 5.1 | Sky Q | Playstation 4 | Apple TV (2nd Gen)
Second System: LG 49UH661V Ultra HD 4K TV | Sonos Playbar | Sonos Connect:Amp | Monitor Audio CT-165 Ceiling Speakers
post #338 of 880 Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepst3r View Post
My main goal is to have sound as soon as I get into the flat, I really don't want to go into every room turning on every individual bluetooth speaker (which is what I have to do right now). So is there anyway I can fill my whole flat with music as soon as I get home?
You are not alone. This is a common/question complaint that I've seen about CCA several times now. Personally, I don't really get it... I have a "whole home audio" group set up within the Chromecast app, that includes all four of my CCAs (one connected to an AVR on each floor of my home, and a forth on a self-powered speaker that I use out on the patio). I can cast to "all" speakers without having "all" speakers turned on... then, as I cycle speakers on, they auto-join without causing any glitches/pain to the playback. I don't need music playing in a room until/unless I actually walk into it... so if I wonder into a room with a CCA that isn't yet turned on, I just turn it on, and it starts playing... I don't run around, in advance, turning all my speakers on *just in case* I might want them. I wait until the need arises (I wander into a room that isn't yet playing). JMO.

That said, sure a solution can be rigged up. Home automation would be an obvious move here, if this is important to you. I run Z-Wave, myself, and I currently have two power outlets "powered" through smart switches. All I'd have to do is buy four more smart switches (or repurpose one or both of the ones I already have), and I could have all my speakers that are attached to CCAs able to be toggled on-and-off, remotely, from an app on my smartphone, before I even lifted the garage door and got on my local WiFi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepst3r View Post
My second problem is how can I get music in my bathroom without paying an engineer to drill through walls and install ceiling speakers (which isn't possible in my flat). The only way I can think of doing it is installing a shelf (away from any sinks) and having a Kitsound speaker with a CA running off a battery pack. Does this work for anyone else? Or any other ideas?

I've looked into powered speakers, etc but when you add up all the costs I might as well have just gone with Sonos (and I'd prefer to stay within the Google ecosystem for now, I think the CA's are a very affordable and great product).

Many thanks for any help.
I think you're going to have to better explain what is limiting you here... because otherwise, the sky is the limit, and your options are endless.

1) You can go with a self-powered speaker (or speakers) and connect a CCA directly to it.

2) You can buy a conventional power source, like an AVR, place that in the bathroom, and connect a CCA to it. Whether or not you have room in your bathroom to house a separate power source like this or not, is pretty unique/dependent on the geometry of your specific bathroom...

3) You can run "Zone 2" etc speakers from an already-existing AVR... whether you have to punch holes in any walls/cielings to make this work or not, is pretty unique/specific to your house layout...

IMO, option #1 is the easiest/most convenient solution, to add additional "auxiliary" music locations for your whole-home-audio setup... JMO.
post #339 of 880 Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's been about a year since the CCA was released, how has it been for you all?

I love my CCA, but there are some reliability issues. Recently I would be playing music with Deezer, and randomly the CCA would stop playing music after a track, not in the middle of a song. That's my only complaint, it only happens sometimes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #340 of 880 Old 09-16-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
It's been about a year since the CCA was released, how has it been for you all?
My experience so far has been more frustrating than anything. I use three CCAs, two at home and one at work. I often have random dropouts, many "Cannot play the selected track errors", and find it very annoying how the apps on my phone lose touch with the CCA, so if I want to pause or change songs, I have to open up the Google Cast app. I also find it annoying trying to change sources - it often takes several "stop casting" attempts before I can cast from another app (say from Google Play to Tidal). Sound quality is decent, at least (I use optical on 2/3 of them).

It's a cheap device and I think you get what you pay for here.
reddice likes this.
post #341 of 880 Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I only rarely have issues, always with Pandora. I think it's more an issue with the app than I do the device. Plex has never given me a problem on any of my four CCAs.
post #342 of 880 Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
My experience so far has been more frustrating than anything. I use three CCAs, two at home and one at work. I often have random dropouts, many "Cannot play the selected track errors", and find it very annoying how the apps on my phone lose touch with the CCA, so if I want to pause or change songs, I have to open up the Google Cast app. I also find it annoying trying to change sources - it often takes several "stop casting" attempts before I can cast from another app (say from Google Play to Tidal). Sound quality is decent, at least (I use optical on 2/3 of them).

It's a cheap device and I think you get what you pay for here.
I agree. Especially since every app except Play Music you have to unlock your phone to control the volume. Also even Play Music sometimes stops working with the volume control and you have to even unlock the phone too. What happens you think you are lowering the volume but all you are doing is putting your phone in silent mode.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
post #343 of 880 Old 09-17-2016, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My 3 Cast's are pretty reliable... But I use Google Play Music almost exclusively.
I can have one running for 3-4 days with no drop outs.

Sent from my S7 Edge
post #344 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
You are not alone. This is a common/question complaint that I've seen about CCA several times now. Personally, I don't really get it... I have a "whole home audio" group set up within the Chromecast app, that includes all four of my CCAs (one connected to an AVR on each floor of my home, and a forth on a self-powered speaker that I use out on the patio). I can cast to "all" speakers without having "all" speakers turned on... then, as I cycle speakers on, they auto-join without causing any glitches/pain to the playback. I don't need music playing in a room until/unless I actually walk into it... so if I wonder into a room with a CCA that isn't yet turned on, I just turn it on, and it starts playing... I don't run around, in advance, turning all my speakers on *just in case* I might want them. I wait until the need arises (I wander into a room that isn't yet playing). JMO.
Belated thanks for the reply. You make a good point. I guess I like the idea of having an "Instantly On" system so that when I come home from work, I can just hit a button, then wonder between rooms freely (I know it sounds weird, but I'll come into the living room and drop off my keys, head into the bedroom to hang up my jacket, then into the bathroom, etc etc).

The CCA's are great to upgrade your existing systems. But when I move, I think it will be a Sonos system everywhere as I can't figure out an appropriate amp to zone it properly. I had a Cambridge Audio Minx 200 Air that I hooked it upto for my living room, and it sounds fantastic but the lack of the "Always On" thing is a little frustrating for me.

That said I really do think that for £15 each they are an outstanding product. In response to the poster above, I have never had any dropouts whatsoever. I usually play from Spotify or BeyondPod, and it's been rock solid.

============
Main System: Sony KD-55XE9305 4K HDR TV | Sony STR-DN1050 AV Amp | Cambridge Audio Minx S225 5.1 | Sky Q | Playstation 4 | Apple TV (2nd Gen)
Second System: LG 49UH661V Ultra HD 4K TV | Sonos Playbar | Sonos Connect:Amp | Monitor Audio CT-165 Ceiling Speakers
post #345 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 3 CCAs are all rock solid. Rarely do I have any issues. I pretty much use PLEX to cast my own media, Google Play on occasion. I have good wifi coverage throughout the house so dropouts are not a problem (never seems to happen). Once in a while, depending on which device I stream from, my Android tablet does not reconnect cleanly after sleeping. Not all tablets/phones act the same even with the same app.

I use an AC outlet remote for turning on/off my outdoor speaker amp w/CCA. Works perfectly. There are similar products that can be controlled from your phone via wifi as well.
dkkruse likes this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 09-18-2016 at 05:51 AM.
post #346 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find Bluetooth more reliable. I really tried to like the Chromecast audio but not being able to control the volume, limited support of apps, random disconnections where the music might still play but it is no longer casting and yes worse battery drain than AUX and Bluetooth despite the clams that it does not drain your battery and no it is not my hardware as the Nexus 6, 6p and 7 (2013) all had drain issues I don't think I will ever try the Chromecast again even if they release a new one.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #347 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bluetooth and CCA are two fundamentally different things. The are different by design and serve different purposes.
post #348 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM

I'm honestly stumped at how anyone can find Bluetooth more solid unless your WiFi is really poor. Every single Bluetooth device I've used over the years in many different settings has been less than ideal. I've also never seen any battery drain, and don't really get how you would get it. I mean all you're doing is pointing the device to get it's music from a cloud.

============
post #349 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been using chromecast for a few months now. I mostly use it to cast spotify and tidal. I haven't had any issues really and everything works nicely. I usually use my lenovo yoga tab as a controller and I can even adjust the volume when the tablet is locked. I don't think casting has any effect on battery usage. Great product for my use.

I have been thinking about buying an external dac, but i wonder it'll have much impact. My amp is musical fidelity x150 and speakers are linn 109s. I found a nice deal on a used goldnote dac7, and i would like to have digital inputs for future upgrades to the system...
post #350 of 880 Old 09-18-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vctr View Post
I have been thinking about buying an external dac, but i wonder it'll have much impact. My amp is musical fidelity x150 and speakers are linn 109s. I found a nice deal on a used goldnote dac7, and i would like to have digital inputs for future upgrades to the system...
From the official AVSForum review it looks like adding an external DAC won't do much or anything to the audio quality:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...io-review.html

dkkruse likes this.
post #351 of 880 Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
From the official AVSForum review it looks like adding an external DAC won't do much or anything to the audio quality
That is what I thought. Now that I think about it, I probably don't even need the extra inputs with cca. I can just setup a raspberry pi to stream files through the chromecast if I want to (though tbh I haven't really needed my file collection in a long time).
post #352 of 880 Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Liked: 2
I've been using 7 CCAs with powered speakers throughout my house, porches, garage, etc. for almost a year now with few problems. I mostly cast Pandora, Spotify, and TuneIn Radio.

After getting some power and audio ground loop buzz problems under control I'm pretty pleased with my setup. I use Logitech S715i powered speakers with a short cable (Apple dock connector --> micro USB) to power the CCAs. I also placed a ground loop isolator between the CCA and the Logitech to eliminate buzz introduced by powering the CCA from the Logitech dock connector.

Here are my issues:

I wish I could set up a cast session from my desktop computer without having to cast from a Chrome browser tab. In other words, I wish casting from the desktop worked like the mobile apps...most of which simply set up an autonomous WiFi stream directly on the CCA device itself. For example, I can start a Pandora stream from my phone, then disconnect the phone from WiFi...while Pandora keeps playing through the CCAs. Not possible right now as far as I know from the desktop.

I've had lots of issues with Chromecast-enabled apps losing control of a cast session...even though everything (my phone and the grouped CCAs) remains connected to the WiFi network. It seems as the Chromecast API/mobile apps evolve, these problems become less and less pronounced...

It would be nice to be able to "hand-off" control of a cast stream to another device (e.g. in order to "thumbs up" a Pandora track, skip a track, etc.) Right now other devices (on the same WiFi network) can only pause playback, resume playback, and control the volume of a cast session using the Chromecast app.

The ability to create groups of CCAs is a killer feature. I can group just the outdoor speakers, just the downstairs speakers...or any combination of speakers. However, the biggest PITA with using CCA groups (I have 7 CCAs now, perhaps more in the future) is adjusting volume. The ability to group CCAs and assign relative volumes within each group would be fantastic. Right now, once I start casting an audio stream, I need to adjust the volume of each CCA in the group individually. It would be great to be able to set up volume "scenes" to avoid having to (always...and only) use the Chromecast app to adjust the volume of each individual CCA in the group. For example, the "dinner" scene may have the CCAs in the dining room and kitchen at a very low volume...while the "yard work" scene may have the outside CCAs cranked up. The Chromecast mobile app makes this fairly painless...and some Chromecast-enabled apps such as Pandora do allow you to control the volume of the entire cast stream (i.e. each CCA keeps its relative volume...more or less.) I really just want to cast audio to "dinner", which is a specific group of CCAs, with each CCA set to a specific volume. That would be slick...and I expect this functionality (or at least improved group volume controls) in the future.

All in all, considering a price point of under $100 per room (Logitech powered speaker $50 used, CCA $35, cable $5, ground loop isolator $5) and the constantly improving Chromecast firmware/software it's an easy, elegant, and scalable whole-house audio solution. Maybe not for serious audiophiles, but it gets the job done easily and is easy to use for anyone with a phone.
snidely and dkkruse like this.
post #353 of 880 Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htewam View Post
As a follow up to my post above, it looks like some folks have a Raspberry Pi configured to cast directly to CCAs (using DarkIce/IceCast I believe) while others seem to be able to digitize audio streams using similar RaspPi hardware ... but I wasn't seeing anyone that had glued ALL of the various pieces together with enough step-by-step details that a newbie like me could understand.
Replying to an old post here, but did you ever achieve your goal @htewam ?
I want to send the tuner output of my receiver to the kitchen, so a CCA caster connected to the line out would be ideal.
Then I could put one of these in the kitchen: https://gracedigital.com/castdock/

post #354 of 880 Old 10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm excited to see how well Google Home integrates into my current (4 CCA's, three of which are hooked up to AVRs) setup. Could be a GREAT way to add a 5th speaker, or simply control my other 4 via voice (no fumbling for phone/tablet/etc), plus all the other non-CCA-related things it can do... If:

1) Sound quality is on-par relative to a $130ish price-pointed, quasi-mobile speaker

2) It "groups in" well with my other CCA's, which per the website it should be able to do... and I'm able to bark song/playlist/radio channel requests from google music to it, and no longer need to use my phone to drive my whole home audio experience

3) It recognizes my wife's voice and kid's voices as different from mine, and responds to them accordingly...

... it'll be a huge hit in my house.
post #355 of 880 Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any speakers with remotes that have Chromecast built in? It is impossible to find a name brand speaker with a remote.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #356 of 880 Old 10-18-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Any speakers with remotes that have Chromecast built in? It is impossible to find a name brand speaker with a remote.
I'm pretty sure the speaker I just mentioned in the post directly above yours does... that's part of the reason why I posted it... no?
post #357 of 880 Old 10-18-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm pretty sure the speaker I just mentioned in the post directly above yours does... that's part of the reason why I posted it... no?
I think he means stereo speakers, and I didn't think Google home came with a remote.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 10-18-2016 at 04:05 PM.
post #358 of 880 Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speakers with a remote are a rarity in 2016 and no I don't want a soundbar. Real progress. Back in my day almost all stereos had remotes.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #359 of 880 Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Speakers with a remote are a rarity in 2016 and no I don't want a soundbar. Real progress. Back in my day almost all stereos had remotes.
1. Who said anything about a soundbar?

2. I'm not sure what the problem is WRT "stereo speakers", I have three chromecast audios hooked up to three proper stereo systems... IMO, a proper "stereo" setup, properly calibrated for the room they're in, with proper stereo separation between them, and being driven by a proper power supply, cost sufficiently much that the added price of an extra $35 for a CCA is a pretty small percentage of the total system... and if that's not what you're going after (full sized, calibrated, properly powered speakers), I'm not sure what the holdup is with a $130 non-stereo speaker that has "CCA" built in...

3. What device, speaker or other, has/is a physical remote to control Chromecast? The whole concept is in the name - "cast". You "cast" to it from a phone/tablet/browser. You control it from said phone/tablet/browser (or, perhaps with new Google Home, a new option exists - full voice control thanks to Google Assistant?).

I really don't understand your line of questioning... so I guess, as far as I know, the only answer I can offer you is "no", FWIW.
post #360 of 880 Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

IMO, a 'calibrated' stereo system is not required to produce a much better sound than a mono Google home speaker. A class D amp on a pair of economical bookshelf speakers can provide a much nicer music experience. If all you want is background sound, then the mono speakers are fine.

A handheld remote can be nice for on/off and volume adjustments or, if capable, music skipping/stop/pause/, etc. I'm not one that wants to talk to my hardware, and a phone can be cumbersome as a remote (wake, unlock, etc), whereas a handheld remote I don't even have to look at to use properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page