*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #631 of 887 Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
I see you don't like the CCA and you've had some problems with it. Fine. It works well for many so calling it junk is just your emotional response. You come back here and repeat the same things over and over. If you are continuing to use it it must not be that bad. If you are not even using it, then why do you care to complain when others talk about their satisfactory experiences? There is no reason to call people who do not share your opinion a shill, its telling when people use that tactic.

Disconnects are either a problem with network, or your phone itself, or perhaps a faulty CCA. With properly designed apps, casting continues even if the phone is powered off, battery drain happens with many phones and many apps for various reasons, its not a CCA unique issue, nor is it experienced by many users including myself. Nobody denies you are having issues. There are people with Sonos that have had disconnect issues as well. There are Sonos users that complain of battery drain. But Sonos is still a good product and a large majority don't have those problems.

Why does it bother you so much if others don't have your same issues?
psuKinger likes this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 02-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 887 Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Battery issues aside I am experiencing the same issue that madbrain has and I only have one chromecast audio. Just one and it is wired using a Nexus 6P again a phone by Google. Even Google's own apps like Play Music sometimes decides not to show the cast button or it won't cast forcing me to reboot the CCA. I also did a factory reset even again with just the Ethernet adapter so no Wifi network interference.

The honest truth is the CCA is just a overrated peace of junk. You are better off using Bluetooth (drains the battery the same) and disconnects all the time. Or what manbrain does use Sonos which is too expensive and I don't feel like replacing my speaker again.
We have 3 CCA devices. One, input to our Marantz AVR system. One, input to soundbar in bedroom. One, input to small sound system that also serves computer in den. (have a/b switch to change between computer input and CCA). Also have one Google Home and 2 home mini devces - all the above on one group.
When setting up system, did have problems. We had a Netgear router and a netgear extender. Then got a Google wifi mesh system. Not one problem since then w. music streaming to any one or all 6 devices at once.
post #633 of 887 Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
You are better off using Bluetooth (drains the battery the same) and disconnects all the time.
Have to disagree with that, the sound quality of the CCA device connected to quality audio components via optical cable should be better (much better?) than using Bluetooth. Lots of info on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 887 Old 02-04-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bluetooth is very different in nature than casting. Bluetooth requires you to stay connected, limits distance, allows only one connection, has no sync capability, limits audio quality, and requires the stream to travel through the phone. Bluetooth is device centric, casting is app centric.

But I agree with Reddice if it is bluetooth functionality you want rather than casting (device audio out, automatic direct connection to a single device that remains nearby, audio quality not as important, phone calls, etc) bluetooth is a better choice.
post #635 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agree in general about Bluetooth. My point was solely about sound quality and if it is a top priority for anyone then best to use a CCA and optical connection. It would be interesting to know how many users of CCA know about the optical connection option and how many actually use it.

Anyone here using their CCA wired (with a USB power/Ethernet adapter) instead of wireless?
post #636 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Agree in general about Bluetooth. My point was solely about sound quality and if it is a top priority for anyone then best to use a CCA and optical connection. It would be interesting to know how many users of CCA know about the optical connection option and how many actually use it.

Anyone here using their CCA wired (with a USB power/Ethernet adapter) instead of wireless?
Not many home speakers even have optical out. Surround systems that's about it.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
post #637 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not many home speakers even have optical out. Surround systems that's about it.
They would need optical In, not Out. Just how concerned with sound quality is someone with a $80 Bluetooth speaker?

Thought my post would have been self explanatory, guess not .

Would someone tell me what this comment is missing:
Quote:
My point was solely about sound quality and if it is a top priority for anyone then best to use a CCA and optical connection.
post #638 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 785
First of all let me just start by saying this HAS to be maddening for you. I symphathize with your post, and I hope you can get things squared away. Just a couple thoughts/comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Problem is, something always breaks with the CCAs. I don't know if it's due to the automatic firmware updates, Tidal Android app update, google home update, or something else - but the end result is, I am having a less than 30% rate of success getting to play anything at all . When I use tidal, even with a single CCA, 70% of the time, when I switch from local device audio to a CCA, it just hangs right there waiting for the network. There is no way in tidal to select a CCA before starting to play, at least none that I have found.
So, I have experienced this similar phenomena, but not (30% works, 70% failure). I don't use Tidal. I use Google Play Music for just quick/convenient non-critical listening, and I use Plex for accessing my CD collection (lossless FLAC rips from EAC). My CCA's/Home's probably fail to connect 5-10% of the time, and work 90-95%... much better than your situation, but it still drives me up a wall.

I've "only" got 4 CCA's (and 4 Home's), and when that happens I just try to tell myself how they were "only" $35 a piece, and hope that as things "improve" with updates to the Home app, my router, etc, performance will improve. After being a CCA owner for several years now, it IS my experience that things have gotten better (for me at least), as connectivity/reliability is better today than it was when I first bought. I think Google has this product moving in the right direction...

Quote:
I bought a Galaxy tab A to cast device audio - turns out it doesn't work at all on that device. Something about casting not being optimized for this device. Samsung support told me on saturday that it was supported on the Tab S3 (which costs twice as much), so I returned my tab A to Costco and bought the Tab S3 on Sunday. Of course, same problem - Samsung just lied. Apparently, device audio casting doesn't work on any Samsung tablet. The S3 is going back to Costco tomorrow, and I guess I won't be buying any tablet at all as a replacement
This genuinely suprises me. I bought each of my kid's a Tab A for Christmas, I will try tonight and see if it doesn't work.

I have a Galaxy Tab S (10.5", first gen), and TIFWIW, but I use it to cast to my CCA's and various Whole-Home groups all the time...
post #639 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't forget the battery drain
There is no battery drain associated with casting to a CCA, if the app (like Google Play Music or Plex) natively supports cast. This is a false statement, or you are doing something wrong, or you have a defective mobile device.

Quote:
You are better off using Bluetooth (drains the battery the same)
If all you're trying to do is throw your crummy 128 kbps rips to a tiny little $50 tin can, and you don't mind staying within 30 feet and line of sight, sure, knock yourself out. Have fun with your Canz 808.

If you've actually got some decent audio equipment, and you want to feed it some good source material, you're gonna want to go with a WiFi solution that doesn't have those kind of bandwidth limitations...

Last edited by psuKinger; 02-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.
post #640 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
This genuinely suprises me. I bought each of my kid's a Tab A for Christmas, I will try tonight and see if it doesn't work.

I have a Galaxy Tab S (10.5", first gen), and TIFWIW, but I use it to cast to my CCA's and various Whole-Home groups all the time...
Please report on what you find. The one I bought was the Galaxy Tab A 10.1, model SM-T580 . And then the Galaxy Tab S3, model SM-820. Both were returned to Costco as they had the same symptoms.

Going into the Google Home app, go to "Cast screen / audio" . You will get the pop-up message that "casting is not optimized for this device, your experience may vary". Then after selecting a CCA (or even Chromecast ultra video), the tablet will connect to to the CCA and generate the "startup" sound (if you have it enabled), and then immediately disconnect from CCA.

Device casting is the only way to get the sound from many apps onto the CCA. For example, Youtube app is cast-enabled but doesn't support CCA, only Chromecast video/Ultra. My web browser (Firefox) isn't cast-enabled. And so on.

Since I returned the tablet, I have been using device casting almost exclusively from my phone. It works much more reliably than Tidal - sound starts about 95% of the time. And I'm able to switch to another CCA most of the time, too, though I have to disconnect first in the Google home app, and then select the new CCA. The sound quality isn't as good as when CCA works in Tidal, though - but that is so rare. And there are sometimes a few unfortunate audio skips. It's still much better than no sound at all, though. Sadly, turns our Jriver gizmo doesn't appear to play gapless (at all, with or without CCA). Maybe I need JRemote for that ...
post #641 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So, I have experienced this similar phenomena, but not (30% works, 70% failure). I don't use Tidal. I use Google Play Music for just quick/convenient non-critical listening, and I use Plex for accessing my CD collection (lossless FLAC rips from EAC). My CCA's/Home's probably fail to connect 5-10% of the time, and work 90-95%... much better than your situation, but it still drives me up a wall.

I've "only" got 4 CCA's (and 4 Home's), and when that happens I just try to tell myself how they were "only" $35 a piece, and hope that as things "improve" with updates to the Home app, my router, etc, performance will improve. After being a CCA owner for several years now, it IS my experience that things have gotten better (for me at least), as connectivity/reliability is better today than it was when I first bought. I think Google has this product moving in the right direction...

Not sure if you read my post a short while back, but I'll quote myself here. I had replaced my main router and suddenly started having problems with all my devices showing up. I made these setting changes and its been rock solid since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
A followup to my CCA device availability issues which arose after replacing my main router;

I changed these two router UPNP router settings and things have been rock solid. (Netgear router).
- Advertisement Period = 15 (was 30s)
- Advertise time to live = 6 (was 4 hops)

Not only have by CCA's been 100% available since, but my wireless thermostat which often disconnected has been steadily connected. Either the change fixed the issue or magic happened somewhere.
post #642 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure if you read my post a short while back, but I'll quote myself here. I had replaced my main router and suddenly started having problems with all my devices showing up. I made these setting changes and its been rock solid since.
I read it - made the changes on my Netgear R7000 - no change that I could observe. No logical reason it should, either. I think something else happened at that time in your environment, like CCA firmware update, that improved things for you.
post #643 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I read it - made the changes on my Netgear R7000 - no change that I could observe. No logical reason it should, either. .
Yes, there is a logical reason; My issue was casting devices not appearing as available; In my case, I have switches and access points layered below them.

• Advertisement Period: The Advertisement Period is how often the Router will advertise
(broadcast) its UPnP information. This value can range from 1 to 1440 minutes. The
default period is for 30 minutes. Shorter durations will ensure that control points have
current device status.

• Advertisement Time To Live: The time to live for the advertisement is measured in hops
(steps) for each UPnP packet sent. A hop is the number of steps allowed to propagate for
each UPnP advertisement before it disappears. The number of hops can range from 1 to
255. The default value for the advertisement time to live is 4 hops, which should be fine
for most home networks. If you notice that some devices are not being updated or reached
correctly, then it may be necessary to increase this value a little.

I had checked firmware on the CCAs, they have not changed since early December version, before I had any problems, so that is ruled out.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 02-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #644 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, there is a logical reason; My issue was casting devices not appearing as available; In my case, I have switches and access points layered below them.
• Advertisement Time To Live: The time to live for the advertisement is measured in hops
(steps) for each UPnP packet sent. A hop is the number of steps allowed to propagate for
each UPnP advertisement before it disappears. The number of hops can range from 1 to
255. The default value for the advertisement time to live is 4 hops, which should be fine
for most home networks. If you notice that some devices are not being updated or reached
correctly, then it may be necessary to increase this value a little.

I had checked firmware on the CCAs, they have not changed since early December version, before I had any problems, so that is ruled out.
Thanks. I would have thought that "hops" meant "IP hops", in which case there wouldn't be more than 1 hop. I have ethernet switches too, but they aren't IP enabled. Neither are the powerline adapters. The wireless access points do have IPs. I guess I would have to read the UPNP specs to be sure what they really mean by hops precisely.
post #645 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please report on what you find. The one I bought was the Galaxy Tab A 10.1, model SM-T580 . And then the Galaxy Tab S3, model SM-820. Both were returned to Costco as they had the same symptoms.

Going into the Google Home app, go to "Cast screen / audio" . You will get the pop-up message that "casting is not optimized for this device, your experience may vary". Then after selecting a CCA (or even Chromecast ultra video), the tablet will connect to to the CCA and generate the "startup" sound (if you have it enabled), and then immediately disconnect from CCA.

Device casting is the only way to get the sound from many apps onto the CCA. For example, Youtube app is cast-enabled but doesn't support CCA, only Chromecast video/Ultra. My web browser (Firefox) isn't cast-enabled. And so on.

Since I returned the tablet, I have been using device casting almost exclusively from my phone. It works much more reliably than Tidal - sound starts about 95% of the time. And I'm able to switch to another CCA most of the time, too, though I have to disconnect first in the Google home app, and then select the new CCA. The sound quality isn't as good as when CCA works in Tidal, though - but that is so rare. And there are sometimes a few unfortunate audio skips. It's still much better than no sound at all, though. Sadly, turns our Jriver gizmo doesn't appear to play gapless (at all, with or without CCA). Maybe I need JRemote for that ...
Ok so just to follow up on this, my kids both have TabA's (SM-T350's), but they are both "young kids", and we're rules followers, so they are registered as kids with google and have the "nerfed" google accounts (youtube kidz rather than youtube, etc etc). Among the many "nerfings", I wasn't able to download the Home app. I got a message saying that app wasn't available for kid's accounts.

But I did pull out my TabS. I first cast natively from within the Google Music App, which worked as it always has. Then I went to settings and clicked "cast screen/audio". When I selected one of my CCA's, I got the same notification/warning you did. But it did connect anyway, and I started listening to youtube through my AVR/speakers via CCA while watching it on my TabS. I paused youtube and flipped over to my LiveTV/DVR cablecard viewer (HDHomeRun View), which opened to ESPN. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon popped up on screen, and the audio (on short delay) came through on the speakers. I changed the channel up one notch to ESPN 2, and after that worked I turned the stream off.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't test the TabA's for you... but a small sample of things I tested worked on my TabS. TIFWIW.
post #646 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok so just to follow up on this, my kids both have TabA's (SM-T350's), but they are both "young kids", and we're rules followers, so they are registered as kids with google and have the "nerfed" google accounts (youtube kidz rather than youtube, etc etc). Among the many "nerfings", I wasn't able to download the Home app. I got a message saying that app wasn't available for kid's accounts.

But I did pull out my TabS. I first cast natively from within the Google Music App, which worked as it always has. Then I went to settings and clicked "cast screen/audio". When I selected one of my CCA's, I got the same notification/warning you did. But it did connect anyway, and I started listening to youtube through my AVR/speakers via CCA while watching it on my TabS. I paused youtube and flipped over to my LiveTV/DVR cablecard viewer (HDHomeRun View), which opened to ESPN. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon popped up on screen, and the audio (on short delay) came through on the speakers. I changed the channel up one notch to ESPN 2, and after that worked I turned the stream off.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't test the TabA's for you... but a small sample of things I tested worked on my TabS. TIFWIW.
Too bad about not being able to download the Home app on the tab A. Thanks for doing the testing !

Good to hear that casting works on your tab S. What version of Android is it running nowadays ? It looks like it was shipped with 4.4 originally.

Samsung told me that some of their older tablets supported the feature - which they call "Smartview", but none of their current tablet models do. It works on their smartphones.

Maybe a used tablet is the solution for me here, but this is such a shame. I would rather buy a new one.
post #647 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Too bad about not being able to download the Home app on the tab A. Thanks for doing the testing !

Good to hear that casting works on your tab S. What version of Android is it running nowadays ? It looks like it was shipped with 4.4 originally.

Samsung told me that some of their older tablets supported the feature - which they call "Smartview", but none of their current tablet models do. It works on their smartphones.

Maybe a used tablet is the solution for me here, but this is such a shame. I would rather buy a new one.
It's an SM-T800, and it's running 6.0.1, which I know isn't ideal, but for the things I personally want to do with a tablet, it still does them quite well.

Samsung put 3 gigs of RAM in those original S's 4 months after releasing the S5 phones which only had 2 gigs.... the 3rd gig made a world of difference. The screen is big and bright and vibrant. I love the 10.5 inches of real estate.

The #1 problem is it only comes with 16 gigs of internal memory. Back when it was released, and Android was natively kit-kat, SDCards were much more heavily supported/more useful. I have a 64 gig SD card in it, because that was "big" back then when I bought it... but there's not much point in replacing it now, because as Android moved from 4.4 to 6.0, the "usefulness" of SD Cards declined. I'm limited/choked on just what i can install, when some things will ONLY install on internal memory.

But mostly I only want a handful of video streaming apps (netflix, youtube, HDHR DVR, Plex, etc), a music app for casting (GPM), Chrome for web browsing, and the ability to access the photos I snap on my Pixel, and it does all 4 of those things quite well... I still use it a lot. FWIW.

I can try to test out other specific apps for you tomorrow night, if you want me too...
post #648 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's an SM-T800, and it's running 6.0.1, which I know isn't ideal, but for the things I personally want to do with a tablet, it still does them quite well.

Samsung put 3 gigs of RAM in those original S's 4 months after releasing the S5 phones which only had 2 gigs.... the 3rd gig made a world of difference. The screen is big and bright and vibrant. I love the 10.5 inches of real estate.

The #1 problem is it only comes with 16 gigs of internal memory. Back when it was released, and Android was natively kit-kat, SDCards were much more heavily supported/more useful. I have a 64 gig SD card in it, because that was "big" back then when I bought it... but there's not much point in replacing it now, because as Android moved from 4.4 to 6.0, the "usefulness" of SD Cards declined. I'm limited/choked on just what i can install, when some things will ONLY install on internal memory.

But mostly I only want a handful of video streaming apps (netflix, youtube, HDHR DVR, Plex, etc), a music app for casting (GPM), Chrome for web browsing, and the ability to access the photos I snap on my Pixel, and it does all 4 of those things quite well... I still use it a lot. FWIW.

I can try to test out other specific apps for you tomorrow night, if you want me too...
That would be greatly appreciated. I don't need a lot of apps on the tablet either.

Dish Anywhere app is one of the main ones I want to use. Youtube app which I think you already card.
Youtube in Firefox with extension that lets it run in the background (works great on my phone).

Looks like this tablet goes for about $200 refurbished on amazon. Barely less than the tab A which is newer, much faster and runs Android 7.0 . Still wish there was a current Android tablet that worked.
Not sure who other than Samsung I could buy it from.
post #649 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Guys

Quick summary of my experience with CCAs.

I have 7 all over a 3 level house + attached garage (4500 sq-ft total).

We are casting Spotify with an iPhone 5s, an LG G5, a nexus 7 tablet and a samsung S4 mini.

I use to have issue connecting, especially with the Nexus and LG. At that time, I was using a netgear R7000 as my main router and a archer C7 as an access point.

Since I replaced both router with a Ubiquiti setup, I have absolutely no issues with any devices.

I installed the following
- edgerouter X
- 3 UAP-AC-LR (1 per level)
- UAP-AC-M outdoor

I love my CCAs and we are using them for hours every day.

I believe that they are very sensitive to network weakness (wifi or router ability). But once setup properly, they work as expected at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smithsabom likes this.
post #650 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho View Post
Hi Guys
I believe that they are very sensitive to network weakness (wifi or router ability). But once setup properly, they work as expected at least for me.
Do you ever switch the audio from one Chromecast audio to another in the cast-enabled apps ?

Have you tried "cast screen/audio" in the google home app, and does that work on all your devices (especially wondering about the Nexus 7 tablet) .

I also wonder if you have ever tried Tidal . There is a free trial. Not many people are running as many CCAs as you are. I have 14 and Tidal almost always hangs when I switch from local device audio to CCA .
If I go to the next track, it often will play. If I come back to the previous track, it hangs again. Clearly appears to be a bug with the app, but a very strange one.
And switching to another CCA can take minutes or not work at all in Tidal.
post #651 of 887 Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

Here my answers:

Quote:
Do you ever switch the audio from one Chromecast audio to another in the cast-enabled apps ?
Yup, very often in fact. It also works well with grouped CCAs

Quote:
Have you tried "cast screen/audio" in the google home app, and does that work on all your devices (especially wondering about the Nexus 7 tablet) .
I can't find that option on my iPhone but it works on the Nexus with youtube.

Quote:
I also wonder if you have ever tried Tidal . There is a free trial.
Never tried ... Might have time to play with it by the weekend though.

Quote:
Not many people are running as many CCAs as you are. I have 14 and Tidal almost always hangs when I switch from local device audio to CCA .
If I go to the next track, it often will play. If I come back to the previous track, it hangs again. Clearly appears to be a bug with the app, but a very strange one.
And switching to another CCA can take minutes or not work at all in Tidal.
I use to have the exact same issues and the worst device by far was the LG. The iPhone always been the best but was still problematic.
On the LG, when it finally starts to cast, it often continue to play from the phone as well. At this point, controls on the phone have no effect on what is casted (ie. impossible to skip forward).

I red that all your CCAs are hard wired. It should not be a WiFi or bandwidth issue but maybe a routing issue ?
I am very happy with my Ubiquiti edgerouter. For 60$ Cad it was a no brainer.

Good luck with your system, at this point, you might want to try a better router.
You could still use your actual routers as dumb Wifi access points and let the routing job to a dedicated router.
just a suggestion ...
post #652 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I would have thought that "hops" meant "IP hops", in which case there wouldn't be more than 1 hop. I have ethernet switches too, but they aren't IP enabled. Neither are the powerline adapters. The wireless access points do have IPs. I guess I would have to read the UPNP specs to be sure what they really mean by hops precisely.
Well, I could be wrong, while I have a decent genereal networking knowlege, I don't know much about those specifics. I've certainly seen stuff 'just start working' in the past. I suppose I could revert the settings and use for awhile to see if problems recur, maybe I'll mess with that sometime soon.
post #653 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Several months ago my Linksys E2000 wireless router went down so I replaced it with a TP-Link AC1750. Set password same as old router. Have 18 IP devices many wired, some wireless. Most of these devices would not connect to the new router even when I tried to connect a couple of them in manual mode (would not stay connected). Sent the TP-Link back and procured a Linksys WRT1900ACS. Set password same as first router, waited a few minutes and when I checked ALL my devices that had not been changed, was connected. Changed the couple of devices back to Auto and they connected to the 1900ACS with no problem.

So it appears not all wireless routers are created equal.

FWIW, the Linksys E2000 did not fail, it was the power supply, so it was moved to the other end of the house and setup as a switch and wireless access point.
post #654 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking about this, and differences between casting 'device audio' to multiple CCAs versus casting via an APP. If you are casting device audio, your phone essentially becomes the server for that audio and I could see how serving to many CCAs might be a challenge. A phone is not designed to be a multi stream server. If you are casting via apps, the CCA's will all get their streams from an internet server, which would have no problem providing all those streams simultaneously. So, if this is true, the weak link in that chain would be the phone's ability to serve many streams. The underlying assumption being that cast groups don't somehow share a stream amongst themselves, which very well may be the case. I'm not sure how it works at the sync level, so again this is somewhat conjecture.

Just something to consider.
post #655 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking about this, and differences between casting 'device audio' to multiple CCAs versus casting via an APP. If you are casting device audio, your phone essentially becomes the server for that audio and I could see how serving to many CCAs might be a challenge. A phone is not designed to be a multi stream server. If you are casting via apps, the CCA's will all get their streams from an internet server, which would have no problem providing all those streams simultaneously. So, if this is true, the weak link in that chain would be the phone's ability to serve many streams. The underlying assumption being that cast groups don't somehow share a stream amongst themselves, which very well may be the case. I'm not sure how it works at the sync level, so again this is somewhat conjecture.

Interesting thought. I have no idea if it's accurate or not (won't pretend to be an expert), but that makes sense to me.

I wonder if he could reduce the number of devices he's grouping together to "cast" to to only the number he NEEDED for this specific use case.

I have many "groupings" which contain various subsets of all 8 available "sinks".
post #656 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting thought. I have no idea if it's accurate or not (won't pretend to be an expert), but that makes sense to me.
I also don't pretend to know exactly how this all works, but I believe the opposite in that the cast groups must somehow share a single stream amongst themselves, regardless of the soutce, otherwise how would sync work?

The source server supplying the stream cannot be relied upon to know Google Cast 'speak' and provide CCA sync. So that has to come from the CCA's themselves. Therefore it's logical that a single CCA is nominated as 'sync master' of the CCA group and is the only one of the group that receives the (single) stream from the server.

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-06-2018 at 10:28 AM.
post #657 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

The source server supplying the stream cannot be relied upon to know Google Cast 'speak' and provide CCA sync. So that has to come from the CCA's themselves. Therefore it's logical that a single CCA is nominated as 'sync master' of the CCA group and is the only one of the group that receives the (single) stream from the server.
You are probably right. Although that means one CCA is receiving and then sending the stream out to the others somehow. No wonder its tricky to pull off.
post #658 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho View Post
Yup, very often in fact. It also works well with grouped CCAs
Great !

Quote:
I can't find that option on my iPhone but it works on the Nexus with youtube.
Yes, iOS does not support device audio casting. Great that it works on your Nexus. Too bad Google has stopped selling any Nexus tablets
The only tablet they sell now is the Pixelbook, which runs ChromeOS .

Quote:
I use to have the exact same issues and the worst device by far was the LG. The iPhone always been the best but was still problematic.
On the LG, when it finally starts to cast, it often continue to play from the phone as well. At this point, controls on the phone have no effect on what is casted (ie. impossible to skip forward).
Hmm.. Interesting. Which apps did you have this issue with ?

Quote:
I red that all your CCAs are hard wired. It should not be a WiFi or bandwidth issue but maybe a routing issue ?
Definitely not a bandwidth issue. 7 are hardwired to the router via Gigabit switches.
8 are on Powerline AV1200 interface -TP Link TL-PA8030P.
Actually, I have 15 CC, not 14.

Quote:
I am very happy with my Ubiquiti edgerouter. For 60$ Cad it was a no brainer.

Good luck with your system, at this point, you might want to try a better router.
You could still use your actual routers as dumb Wifi access points and let the routing job to a dedicated router.
just a suggestion ...
I currently have a Netgear R7000 as wired router going to my ISP.
And use 3 x Orbi (RBK50/2x RBS50)for Wifi access points. But Wifi is not in the picture with the Chromecasts.
I have tried the Orbi as router instead of R7000, taking the R7000 completely out of the picture.
When all the CCAs were on Wifi, it made things worse . Devices kept disappearing. They only all showed with a single router (RBK50 router, no RBS50 satellite) which defeated the point of the Orbi.
But even with a single RBK50 or R7000 as Wifi router, the system wasn't very reliable when all CCAs were on Wifi. That is why I went to wired & Powerline instead.

I think the remaining problems are likely related to bugs in the apps on the device and/or Google cast services software ...
When I use device audio casting, everything is much more reliable.
post #659 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, I could be wrong, while I have a decent genereal networking knowlege, I don't know much about those specifics. I've certainly seen stuff 'just start working' in the past. I suppose I could revert the settings and use for awhile to see if problems recur, maybe I'll mess with that sometime soon.
I'm a software development engineer, and I work on networking, so I have a bit more knowledge. But the wording about uPNP hop settings is unclear.
post #660 of 887 Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The vast majority of the time (just about 99%) , I'm only casting to a single CCA at a time. I still experience problems when starting the audio stream in Tidal, and switching to another CCA.
In JRiver gizmo (cast-enabled), similar problems. For all intents and purposes, the cast-enabled apps are very unreliable.
reddice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page