*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #691 of 865 Old 06-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
MinimServer & the BubbleUPnP Server have an excellent reputation for providing transparent audio file network streaming solutions and are very well supported by their developers. It's very hard to tell what's going on inside vague software like Plex.
Good answer, I'll stick to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 865 Old 06-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bought my Dad a Chromecast Audio a little over a week ago but am thinking
about returning it and continuing to search for an alternative. I'm using
BubbleUPnP on a couple of fairly capable Android tablets and a DLNA server
for the content.

The problem is that progression through the playlist eventually halts or pauses.
Sometimes pausing for a duration measured in minutes. It will then play one
song and pause at its end, perhaps playing another after several minutues. It
will play the next song immediately if I manually initiate.

I have tried eliminating the battery optimization of the BubbleUPnP app on the
Android tablets, keeping the Android tablet awake and on charger, all components
within short range and line-of-sight of the Wi-Fi access points (have tried two
different APs).

The same BubbleUPnP casting to a hardwired CCU or my Oppo UDP-203 via
DLNA doesn't exhibit this stopping and pausing. I aknowledge that the problem
might be other than the CCA but am trying to isolate possible variables, without
success. Thanks.
post #693 of 865 Old 06-17-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeathersMcGraw View Post
for the content.

The problem is that progression through the playlist eventually halts or pauses.

Android tablets, keeping the Android tablet awake and on charger, all components
different APs).

might be other than the CCA but am trying to isolate possible variables, without
success. Thanks.
I can confirm that BubbleUPnP and CCA get along very well -at least in my system casting from a Mac. No pauses or halts at all. From time to time BubbleUPnP won't list the CCA among the "media renderers", but I only need to restart it and there it is again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 865 Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedocable View Post
I can confirm that BubbleUPnP and CCA get along very well -at least in my system casting from a Mac. No pauses or halts at all. From time to time BubbleUPnP won't list the CCA among the "media renderers", but I only need to restart it and there it is again.

I've been using Plex for years now, primarily because:
A) It'll play back my lossless CD rips (FLAC via Exact Audio Copy) without transcode
B) It supports CCA, which I use for Whole-Home-Audio.
C) I have a lifetime Plex Pass

But Plex has failed me (for music, at least) in a few ways over the last few years, not the least of which for being:
1) No software EQ (or at least none that I can find; if I'm missing it someone please correct me), which a "premium local media streamer" ought to support, IMO
2) I've tried-and-failed twice to backup and save my watch states and playlists prior to uninstalling and reinstalling PMS... both times I've lost my (extensive) music playlists and had to start over.

Forgive me for what is probably a dumb question, but I spent a little time on Youtube trying to find this answer before posting, but what would it take to get BubbleUPnP up and running?
I've already got:
-FLAC files stored on a NAS (QNAP TS-431+)
-An always on "HTPC/Media Server" (primarily for Plex, Steam, and NVidia Gamestream)
- Four CCA's for whole-home-audio.
- Android phone and Android tablet as preferred means to control/cast to CCAs when using whole home audio.

Is there something I need to install to either my Win10 Desktop or my QNAP, prior to/in addition to downloading the BubbleUPnP to my Android phone?
Will BubbleUPnP support either EQ or Playlists (or both)? If yes to EQ, can the EQ be on a CCA-by-CCA-basis (maybe I want to tune down the high end just a touch on my basement AVR/CCA but I don't want that applied universally to my living room AVR or Patio powered monitors)?
post #695 of 865 Old 06-18-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeathersMcGraw View Post
for the content.

different APs).

success. Thanks.

Is the music stored on the tablet or on a NAS? I've found that tablets make poor media servers, for reasons unknown. Seems like background processes interrupt or something with the architecture itself.

I use PLEX, served from a NAS, amd initiate casting via phone or destkop (chrome browser) and rarely have hiccups. I'm using Amazon Music streaming more and more and find that to be solid as well. Of course the key flaw with PLEX is lack of gapless. Not a big issue for me since I mostly run mixed playlists.
post #696 of 865 Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Forgive me for what is probably a dumb question, but I spent a little time on Youtube trying to find this answer before posting, but what would it take to get BubbleUPnP up and running?
I've already got:
-FLAC files stored on a NAS (QNAP TS-431+)
-An always on "HTPC/Media Server" (primarily for Plex, Steam, and NVidia Gamestream)
- Four CCA's for whole-home-audio.
- Android phone and Android tablet as preferred means to control/cast to CCAs when using whole home audio.

Is there something I need to install to either my Win10 Desktop or my QNAP, prior to/in addition to downloading the BubbleUPnP to my Android phone?
Will BubbleUPnP support either EQ or Playlists (or both)? If yes to EQ, can the EQ be on a CCA-by-CCA-basis (maybe I want to tune down the high end just a touch on my basement AVR/CCA but I don't want that applied universally to my living room AVR or Patio powered monitors)?

All you should need is a UPNP server of some sort on your NAS up and running (Serviio is one option, maybe your NAS has UPNP capability installed already). Install BubbleUPnP on your device at any time, you should be able to 'find' the DLNA server via the App. Another app you might try is HiFi-Cast, I've had good luck with it and it has gapless play ability. Heck, install both and play around.

Bubble UPNP will also work with a KODI box that has UPNP enabled.
post #697 of 865 Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Is the music stored on the tablet or on a NAS? I've found that tablets make poor media servers, for reasons unknown. Seems like background processes interrupt or something with the architecture itself.

I use PLEX, served from a NAS, amd initiate casting via phone or destkop (chrome browser) and rarely have hiccups. I'm using Amazon Music streaming more and more and find that to be solid as well. Of course the key flaw with PLEX is lack of gapless. Not a big issue for me since I mostly run mixed playlists.
Hi Dan,

Currently using an Asus AC3200 Wi-Fi/router in AP mode with a 1TB USB flash drive as the DLNA server.
It is hard wired to the home 1 Gbit/sec Ethernet.

Doesn't do transcoding, playlist management or anything fancy but has been reliable for the past few years.
Used to use miniDLNA on a hard wired Linux box but switched to the Asus a few years ago.
Open to eventually playing with Plex, Kodi, etc. but don't yet have something like an Intel NUC that I can leave on all the time.

I might keep the CCA for myself, throwing it in the back of drawer until I feel like experimenting with it again.
Not impressed with its ease of use when using Android. Apps that have cast buttons don't seem to recognize
the CCA as a legitimate cast target while other audio & video implementations of Google Cast do.

Not for my Dad in any case. Needs to be simple and not temperamental. Otherwise, he'll get frustrated.
Will continue my search for alternatives. Thanks.
post #698 of 865 Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
All you should need is a UPNP server of some sort on your NAS up and running (Serviio is one option, maybe your NAS has UPNP capability installed already). Install BubbleUPnP on your device at any time, you should be able to 'find' the DLNA server via the App. Another app you might try is HiFi-Cast, I've had good luck with it and it has gapless play ability. Heck, install both and play around.
I've been using HiFi-Cast as well, tried it out after Bubble stopped working on my chromebook, it works flawlessly.
post #699 of 865 Old 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
I've been using HiFi-Cast as well, tried it out after Bubble stopped working on my chromebook, it works flawlessly.

I played around with a few servers and control points. Originally I used Logitech media server (my previous streamer was a Squeezebox) and BubbleUPNP. After trying a few things out I have settled on the Asset upnp server, since it has the best cataloging, and HiFiCast for the controller, since it will play gapless. I alos use Tunein for the radio stations.
post #700 of 865 Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post
I played around with a few servers and control points. Originally I used Logitech media server (my previous streamer was a Squeezebox) and BubbleUPNP. After trying a few things out I have settled on the Asset upnp server, since it has the best cataloging, and HiFiCast for the controller, since it will play gapless. I alos use Tunein for the radio stations.
When using HiFiCast for the controller it is also the player right? That is how the gapless is achieved?
As opposed to HiFiCast instructing the Chromecast to play stream after stream.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #701 of 865 Old 06-24-2018, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Yes, when the Chromecast gapless option is enabled, the Hi-Fi Cast app decodes & gaplessly (silently/internally) plays the audio files and the resulting LPCM audio output is what the app instructs the the Chromecast to stream.

Interestingly, the Hi-Fi Cast app can also be used to control standard UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers, but unfortunately it does not currently provide a similar mechanism for those standard UPnP/DLNA streamers that don't support gapless.
There is a UPnP/DLNA gapless option, but that's only to be used with standard UPnP/DLNA streamers that do support 'true' gapless playback, ie, when instructed to stream the individual audio files in the playlist themselves, one after the other.
rmjb likes this.
post #702 of 865 Old 06-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
When using HiFiCast for the controller it is also the player right? That is how the gapless is achieved?
As opposed to HiFiCast instructing the Chromecast to play stream after stream.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
HiFi Cast is the controller, but I read the way gapless works is the server streams to HiFi Cast, which then re-streams to the Chromecast
post #703 of 865 Old 07-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

No, in the Hi-Fi Cast's Chromecast Gapless function, the original audio files from the server are not just re-streamed, ie, implying that they are unchanged. The server's audio files are actually decoded and played (gaplessly) by the the Hi-Fi Cast app. The resulting Hi-Fi Cast app's audio output is what's streamed by the Chromecast.

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #704 of 865 Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, in the Hi-Fi Cast's Chromecast Gapless function, the original audio files from the server are not just re-streamed, ie, implying that they are unchanged. The server's audio files are actually decoded and played (gaplessly) by the the Hi-Fi Cast app. The resulting Hi-Fi Cast app's audio output is what's streamed by the Chromecast.

This is correct. The CCA doesn't have built in gapless capability, so the app must 'tie the tracks together' and constantly stream them to the CCA directly. I don't think Hifi-Cast changes the actual audio data, I believe it still feeds what is essentially the original MP3/FLAC data as is. Probably not that simple as described though.
post #705 of 865 Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think Hifi-Cast changes the actual audio data, I believe it still feeds what is essentially the original MP3/FLAC data as is. Probably not that simple as described though.
Well, if you think about it, the Hi-Fi Cast app's 'Chromecast gapless mode player' output is just bog standard LPCM, so no reason why it can't be a bit perfect decoding of the server's MP3/FLAC files. So the process can actually be quite "simple", as the Chromecast devices support streaming LPCM, either raw or as a WAV file.

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-01-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #706 of 865 Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, if you think about it, HiFi Cast's 'Chromecast gapless mode player' output is just bog standard LPCM, so no reason why it can't be a bit perfect decoding of the MP3/FLAC files. So can actually be quite 'simple', as the Chromecast devices support streaming LPCM, either raw or as a WAV file.

I was thinking it would be sent to the CCA in MP3 or FLAC format, letting the CCA do the transcoding while HFCast simply weaves those files into one stream.
post #707 of 865 Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

The easiest way to bit pefectly & gaplessly 'stitch' the files together would be to decode & gaplessly play them. You could argue that it may then be worth compressing the resulting LPCM audio stream using a lossless format, such as FLAC (but of course not MP3).
post #708 of 865 Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a little googling, it seems you may be correct. While MP3 files can be stitched, it is more challenging for FLAC (which I assumed incorrectly would be easy). Apparently, as you said, HiFi-Cast decodes everyting then streams for gapless. Thanks for keeping me straight on that.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-03-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #709 of 865 Old 07-05-2018, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Always a good idea to google for confirmation - even throws up very similar stuff that I'd forgotten we'd both discussed before (in this very same thread)!
*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - post #528

Like I mentioned in that post, you can get a feel for how the Hi-Fi Cast app's Chromecast gapless support correction process works, by using foobar2000 with the foo_out_upnp plugin (and the BubbleUPnP Server to provide a DLNA renderer for the Chromecast).

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-05-2018 at 04:34 AM.
post #710 of 865 Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 308
The Chromecast Audio devices are now Roon capable.

I've been playing around with it the last couple days, and I've been getting excellent results.

The thing I like the best is how I can seamlessly play my high resolution collection and Tidal (including MQA core decoding) and set it up so that everything is maxed out at 96/24 to take advantage of the resolution of the CCA.

Here it's showing software decoded MQA from Tidal at 96/24:

And here is a DSD64 file from my collection being re-clocked to 96/24 taking advantage of the full resolution capabilities of the CCA:

Also, gapless!!
Cebolla and rmjb like this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #711 of 865 Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Isn't it the other way around? So it's Roon that supports Google Cast (and not Chromecast devices supporting Roon's proprietary RAAT protocol). That would explain why you won't be able to use Roon casting to Chromecast in perfect sync with Roon playing at the same time to its (RAAT supporting) Roon Endpoints.
post #712 of 865 Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM

I started having some random little "cuts" in the sound (very brief gaps, sometimes with a slight clicking noise) when streaming Hi Res FLACS to CCA from my Mac (usign BubbleUpnp, MinimServer and Linn Kazoo). Now, these cuts seem to become very rare and almost dissapear if I set BubbleUpnp to downsample all files to 88kHz or 28kHz with FFmpeg -which is a step below the 96kHz supported by CCA. My blind guess is that my wireless router somehow isn't strong enough to stream 96kHz files. How that this sound to you? And, if this is the case, which router would you recommend for a solid DLNA streaming?

Last edited by fedocable; 08-04-2018 at 04:59 PM.
post #713 of 865 Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any CCA owners on here also Plex Users AND Tidal subscribers? The new Plex integration with Tidal has me wondering if Plex's support for native Chromecasting (and therefore Whole Home Audio) now gives Tidal (by way of Plex) support for whole-home-audio...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #714 of 865 Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've been playing around with it the last couple days, and I've been getting excellent results.

The thing I like the best is how I can seamlessly play my high resolution collection and Tidal (including MQA core decoding) and set it up so that everything is maxed out at 96/24 to take advantage of the resolution of the CCA.

Here it's showing software decoded MQA from Tidal at 96/24:

And here is a DSD64 file from my collection being re-clocked to 96/24 taking advantage of the full resolution capabilities of the CCA:

Also, gapless!!
Can you expand upon this at all (and maybe follow-up with your thoughts/uses, if you have any)? If you're using Roon on your desktop/laptop, can you know find an integrated "cast" option that will allow you to throw it to any CCA/whole home grouping? That'd be ideal...
post #715 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 11:29 AM
JGM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The good news is that CCAs are available at a big price drop (to $15) almost everywhere at the moment.

CNET article: https://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-goog...-audio-for-15/

I've confirmed current (12/4) pricing at Google, Staples and Best Buy, the latter with free shipping at no minimum.

The bad news is that the consensus is that this is likely a sell-off in advance of a phaseout of the product; the AV Chromecast had a recent update and seems to be alive and well, but no such love for the CCA.

On the other hand these seem to be rock solid and don't require a lot of ongoing third-party support to be useful.

I'm getting a couple of spares while the getting is good.

---
EDIT: I note that AVS seems to do some tricky redirecting of the Best Buy link (to eBay in my case). You can get the actual BB link in the CNet article or just do a search on the BB page.

Last edited by JGM; 12-04-2018 at 11:33 AM.
post #716 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Can you expand upon this at all (and maybe follow-up with your thoughts/uses, if you have any)? If you're using Roon on your desktop/laptop, can you know find an integrated "cast" option that will allow you to throw it to any CCA/whole home grouping? That'd be ideal...

Yes, I can use my desktop, my laptop and/or my phone to control what plays through any of my zones through Roon. I can play through my desktop system (Cambridge DACMagic + & Dynaudio Active Monitors) or through any of the individual Chromecast devices, or through any of the Chromecast Audio grouped zones.

It's also possible to play different content of different systems simultaneously. It's fantastic, I love using Roon!

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #717 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
The good news is that CCAs are available at a big price drop (to $15) almost everywhere at the moment.

CNET article: https://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-goog...-audio-for-15/

I've confirmed current (12/4) pricing at Google, Staples and Best Buy, the latter with free shipping at no minimum.

The bad news is that the consensus is that this is likely a sell-off in advance of a phaseout of the product; the AV Chromecast had a recent update and seems to be alive and well, but no such love for the CCA.

On the other hand these seem to be rock solid and don't require a lot of ongoing third-party support to be useful.

I'm getting a couple of spares while the getting is good.

---
EDIT: I note that AVS seems to do some tricky redirecting of the Best Buy link (to eBay in my case). You can get the actual BB link in the CNet article or just do a search on the BB page.

I have not been on here in awhile. I thought the Chromecast audio would be great for a poor mans Sonos. This seemed to annoying to achieve. I wish there was an easy way to output audio to multiple bluetooth devices at the same time but seems to require software or expensive device and seems to be a hassle. I'm not really seeing the advantage of owning these.

My issue with regular Chromecast was that you had to use another device to cast. Where as Roku, Amazon, Apple TV, NVIDIA etc did not. But most still has mirroring functionality. The main issue with this is bandwidth, say you were streaming down from Netflix using your router, you would then have to stream to your chromecast using wifi bandwitdth two ways. I always thought this caused a lag because 2 streams of data are required
post #718 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post
I have not been on here in awhile. I thought the Chromecast audio would be great for a poor mans Sonos. This seemed to annoying to achieve. I wish there was an easy way to output audio to multiple bluetooth devices at the same time but seems to require software or expensive device and seems to be a hassle. I'm not really seeing the advantage of owning these.

My issue with regular Chromecast was that you had to use another device to cast. Where as Roku, Amazon, Apple TV, NVIDIA etc did not. But most still has mirroring functionality. The main issue with this is bandwidth, say you were streaming down from Netflix using your router, you would then have to stream to your chromecast using wifi bandwitdth two ways. I always thought this caused a lag because 2 streams of data are required
Two key advantages (for me) to why we use our CCA's as much as we do instead of our Shields to listen to music:
1) You don't have to have the TV on to play (or control) the CCA... while also possible (play, not control) with Shield as long as you don't have HDMI-CEC on or using ARC, you still can't control it without the TV on. We like just turning the AVR on without leaving the screen running on the TV(s) unnecessarily.

2) Whole home audio. You can group up and cast to multiple CCAs (and Google Homes) all at once, and they'll play in-sync.

Whole home audio is the whole reason why I bought one, and I've liked/used them so much I'm already up to four and thinking about picking up a 5th or 6th at this discounted price...
post #719 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I can use my desktop, my laptop and/or my phone to control what plays through any of my zones through Roon. I can play through my desktop system (Cambridge DACMagic + & Dynaudio Active Monitors) or through any of the individual Chromecast devices, or through any of the Chromecast Audio grouped zones.

It's also possible to play different content of different systems simultaneously. It's fantastic, I love using Roon!
It sounds great. I'm definitely interested/intrigued. The only problem I have is the same problem everyone has: $500 seems like a pretty steep price to pay for a piece of software that does what this does (plays back local hi-rez music files), even if it does it REALLY well...

While my wife would certainly tell you that I have all the audio gear I *need*... I don't quite have all the *end game* gear I want (Ascent Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter upgrade, for example). It's not an easy call to allocate a full $500 toward software.

Any chance you happen to know/can confirm if you can also cast to any Google Cast supporting Android TV device (specifically NVidia Shield but the answer should be generic to all-or-none, I'd think)...
post #720 of 865 Old 12-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Two key advantages (for me) to why we use our CCA's as much as we do instead of our Shields to listen to music:
1) You don't have to have the TV on to play (or control) the CCA... while also possible (play, not control) with Shield as long as you don't have HDMI-CEC on or using ARC, you still can't control it without the TV on. We like just turning the AVR on without leaving the screen running on the TV(s) unnecessarily.

2) Whole home audio. You can group up and cast to multiple CCAs (and Google Homes) all at once, and they'll play in-sync.

Whole home audio is the whole reason why I bought one, and I've liked/used them so much I'm already up to four and thinking about picking up a 5th or 6th at this discounted price...

So it works well for whole home audio? Do you cast from your phone for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page